Diana's Cosmetic Makeup

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToytownZara

Commoner
City
Camberley
Country
United Kingdom
This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

Or am I just nuts? :ermm:

No, you're not nuts :D. I hadn't really noticed until you mentioned it but actually you're right. On this particular pic, your description fits perfectly.

Although I don't know if this change could be related to her lovers' origins. At least, not entirely. The make-up and fashion in the 90's were putting forward the simplicity so it may also be a reason to stop the red lipstick etc.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that Princess Diana's makeup was more simple by 1997.
Did she have a make up artist during this time? :)

I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.

And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.

And let us not forget the very clever use of heavy eyeliner during the Panorama interview. It's an old Monty Westmore trick taught to the divine Joan - just one tear and you can achieve a suitably devastated look that could melt the heart of Stalin.

Or you could look like our own dear, late Tammy Faye Baker.

I thought Diana had gone over the top with the makeup. But I guess she was going for the effect.

BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable

BFan that eyeliner was just so obvious going for the soulful tragic look

TTZ can't say I particularly noticed the make-up but yes the link TheTruth posted shows what you mean, maybe the change was so gradual that it wasn't noticeable

True. Just another detail that may have its importance : the picture was taken during a trip to Pakistan so it may be a sign of respect toward the people. This other pic from 1997 shows also a simple make-up and very light or maybe no lipstick.

She may had various reasons but I'm sure one was that she wanted to be taken seriously. She couldn't go to Angola dressed like any Red Cross volunteer and the next week come up to a gala with a Barbara Cartland face. I believe she thought it would put a "superficial" sense to her work.

This is so silly - but I've long wondered about this, and I've finally found a group with whom to discuss such a thought!

Did/has anyone else taken notice of Diana's makeup in the last months before her death?

She looked more Arab to me - she looked as though she'd darkened her eyebrows and shaped them a bit differently with a higher arch; her makeup was paler and she had on less lipstick than before. She was more tanned than usual, yes, but her makeup stands out to me.

No, you're not nuts......at least no more than the rest of us. :lol:

I find your observation interesting. Though there could be a number of reasons, I am sure that at least one motivation would have been to make herself appear culturally appropriate to Hasnat Khan's Pakistani family.

Hi, Im new to this forum :)

Diana is very much in love with Hasnat Khan and Pakistan. She looks lovely wearing Pakistanis Clothes.

i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.

I imagine she had more freedom in makeup styles after her divorce and no longer being forced to comply w/ the HRH look. You can see it in her wardrobe: more modern, sleek, and sexy (no more gloves and hats). It was probably by personal choice too. She wore low-heels so not to tower over Prince Charles, but as the marriage soured, she brought out the stilettos.

Shame, really - she did do the whole formal thing well with the big hats she used to wear. I love hats and am glad the Queen still wears them. But she looked great in the heels as well - of course, a gunnysack would have looked good on her!

And I agree with the others about the eyeliner - that was WAAY overdone. The reasons for the changes seem very plausible, and I know styles were changing then as well, but MAN those eyebrows got dark....

Oh I LOVED when she wore some black eyeliner. Not in the 'esthetic' way but that was her "trademark". It was her symbol just like the rock band "Kiss" with their faces painted of black and white (no particular sense to the comparison ... was just an example :D )

does someone have pictures of diana during the panorama interview?

She definitely had a simpler, more natural look in 1997 and perhaps late in 1996 as well. I didn't think that she looked more Arab/Pakistani necessarily, but she seemed to let her eyebrows grow more thickly and perhaps go back to a natural, darker colour. On the other hand, her hair got blonder and her makeup got paler. She looked like a different person just before she died. As someone else here suggested, it might have been partly due to the 90s "minimalism", which was a reaction to all the excess of the 80s.

i remember reading somewhere that she used heavy eyeliner several times, for dramatic effect. one of the other times i recall was when she watched the surgery...the close up photos of her wearing the mask show heavy eyeliner.

She really went to town on the eye makeup on that occasion, actually over the surgical mask it looked a bit ridiculous.
When she first married she wore a lot of blue eyeliner, but then that was the fashion, she looked much better afterwards. The last, almost no makeup, look didn´t suit her in my opinion, I keep thinking of the book jacket of her biography, she looked absolutely stunning in that photo.

She used to be a light coloured brunette, but as was said at the time, she asked her hairdresser to make her blonder since as she told him:"You know my husband loves blondes" . I am sure she was using make up to her advantage depending on the occasion and towards the end she spent more time out in the sun and got sun tanned. With regard to eye liner, I believe she looked awful during that Panorama interview and I do not know how she benefited from it.

There have been some rumours that she has been converted to muslim religion.
Nazma FOURRE

She was getting older and changing her look. What works for you in your twenties does not always look attractive in your thirties. I loved the new look she was sporting in her last couple of years.

Arab/Pakistani make-up?! Is there any such thing?

If Diana wore less make-up in Pakistan then there would be a simple reason for this; the heat. IMRIC Diana visited Lahore in April/May of 1997, a particularly sticky and humid time of year in the city. It's not exactly comfortable walking around Lahore in the middle of the day with a full face of make-up.

I remember when I read that in the early 80s Diana wore "Christian Dior - Sailboat Blue" as an eyeliner or mascara, anyway, I think I copied the blue eyeliner look for months after!

Hi, I just found this incredible site!

I think Diana truly came into her own in the latter part of her life. She was absolutely beautiful and the photo posted above of her in the red outfit and little makeup was stunning.

I wore Christian Dior's Diorissimo perfume for years (very, very hard to find now) because it was reported back in 1981 that she wore it.

Delightfully feminine fragrance.

In a strange twist it was also a favorite scent of the Duchess of Windsor who used to spray it on flowers (as reported by Kitty Kelly and Sarah Bradford) to highten their scent!

I also have a question. I noticed that Diana did not seem to wear lip color to the Versace funeral. Is it an unwritten rule not to wear lipstick to a funeral in Europe?

I also have a question. I noticed that Diana did not seem to wear lip color to the Versace funeral. Is it an unwritten rule not to wear lipstick to a funeral in Europe?

In photos I have seen, she had on pale pink lip gloss on. In black and white photos, the lip gloss didn't show up well. In coloured ones, it was there. Though with her deep tan from her St Tropez vacation still fresh, the lip gloss looked awful on her.

I'm just glad she quit wearing that horrible blue eyeliner. Just thinking of it makes me shudder!!!
On another note--I know that the way I wear makeup now (age 34) is very different than when I wore it ten years ago (24-where did the time go??). I'd say Diana was just changing her look a bit.

Am I the only one who loves her 80s makeup compared to her 90s makeup?

She was just lovely, with skin like a little peach when she was young, especially in the early 1980s. She didn't need much makeup.

She was just lovely, with skin like a little peach when she was young, especially in the early 1980s. She didn't need much makeup.
Yeah she really didn’t put that much makeup on her that’s why she was still naturally beautiful!! Woman need to go back to the minimal look.

Back
Top Bottom