Best Hats by a Royal Lady

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes me smile to see that this thread has far less posts than the one about the worst hat worn by a royal :D.

Most of HM Elizabeth II hats are really nice. They fit her perfectly, IMO.
On this picture, Camilla's and HM's are splendid.

Same remark for this one, with Diana and HM.

Makes me smile to see that this thread has far less posts than the one about the worst hat worn by a royal :D.

Most of HM Elizabeth II hats are really nice. They fit her perfectly, IMO.
On this picture, Camilla's and HM's are splendid.

Same remark for this one, with Diana and HM.

I love the Princess' hat the color is great and of course matches her outfit she and the Queen even wore the same color.:)

What makes a good hat?

I am enjoying this thread very much, but I can't quite put my finger on what makes these hats so wonderful.

What do you all think? Is it because they reflect the outfit or perhaps frame the face. I know that there is probably an elusive quality that can't be determined but I would like to know what you all think.

Thanks

I am enjoying this thread very much, but I can't quite put my finger on what makes these hats so wonderful.

What do you all think? Is it because they reflect the outfit or perhaps frame the face. I know that there is probably an elusive quality that can't be determined but I would like to know what you all think.

Thanks

I don't know that any one thing makes a "good hat". Most hats look hideous on me and that really bites as I love hats. I think a hat that compliments the outfit and the wearer can be deemed a good hat. If you took one style of hat and placed on the heads of all our lovely royal ladies, the hat might look good on one or two of them, but it wouldn't flatter all of them. I don't think it's so much an elusive quality as it is knowing (or having a stylist who knows or can figure out) what works for the individual. And if you hop over the the Worst Hat thread, you'll see that all these ladies have had a blooper or two in the hat department.:)

Cat

Magic Formula?

I don't know that any one thing makes a "good hat". Most hats look hideous on me and that really bites as I love hats. I think a hat that compliments the outfit and the wearer can be deemed a good hat. If you took one style of hat and placed on the heads of all our lovely royal ladies, the hat might look good on one or two of them, but it wouldn't flatter all of them. I don't think it's so much an elusive quality as it is knowing (or having a stylist who knows or can figure out) what works for the individual. And if you hop over the the Worst Hat thread, you'll see that all these ladies have had a blooper or two in the hat department.:)

Cat

Most hats look awful on me also, I keep hoping that there is some magic formula that will help - hence the question. Oh well, I will keep trying! :lol:

my "formula" is that the hat must fit: the woman, her personality, her hair, her outfit, and the occasion she's wearing it to.

For example, a hat that would look good on Queen Beatrix's head (with her famously large helmet hair) probably wouldn't look good on Crown Princess Mary or Crown Princess Mette-Marit.
Her face- Crown Princess Mary (one of my favorite hat-wearers) tends to choose more delicate or refined hats which suit her delicate bone structures.
Personality- Anything worn by Princess Laurentien and her flamboyant personality probably wouldn't suit Crown Princess Mette-Marit (who is a bit simpler in style)

Fitting her outfit and event are pretty self-explanatory.

I love the Princess' hat the color is great and of course matches her outfit she and the Queen even wore the same color.:)

Yes, that's a strange coincidence. It's really rare to see two royal wearing the smiliar colour on a same event.

Some of my (many) favourites:

CP Mary’s Pink Hat (Royal Press Europe)
CP Mary’s Purple Hat (Polfoto) – I love this hat, it’s elegant but doesn’t cover her face at all. (Sorry the picture’s not the best, but most people are likely to recognise it)
Another of CP Mary’s – she first wore it in Australia but I’m not sure when this was (Polfoto)
White hat with a red flower – Mary at the King of Sweden’s Birthday, by Getty Images
And, totally different, this winter hat (worn in Norway) (Pic by PPE)

CP Maxima’s Light coloured hat from India/Bhutan trip (ANP)
CP Maxima arriving in Australia (Getty Images)
CP Maxima – Ariane’s baptism Front ; Back (PPE)

CP Mathilde (PPE) I love how simple this is, and yet it looks (IMO) great.
CP Mathilde again. I’m not too sure that this counts as a “hat”, but I love it. (PPE)

Princess Diana in a red hat (I have no credit for this picture, if anyone does please either post it or PM me, Thanks!)
Diana – Pink hat (Tim Graham)

CP Victoria’s red hat for Albert coronation (Pic: Royal Press Europe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom