United Arab Emirates and The Gulf States

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashmiri

City
Brisbane
Country
Australia
Is there any detailed "trees" of the Royal families of Dubai available on the web? The repetition of names (common in many other countries) makes it difficult to follow.

As a newbie, what does Bin mean? Also does the name such as Al Nahyan refer to a particular family group with names such as Hamdan, Rashid being the first names of individuals?

Hi, kashmiri! I'm not sure about family trees - I haven't seen any very detailed ones...
but "bin" means "son of" - i.e Khalifa bin Zayed means Khalifa son of Zayed. Khalifa is the individual's name and he is the son of Zayed. The feminine version of this is "bint" meaning "daughter of". Al Nahayan is a family name just like Al Maktoum, Al Thani, etc. Hope that helps! :)

This may help, the Shaikhdoms and Ruling Families of the United Arab Emirates:

Abu Dhabi: Al Nahyan
Ajman: Al Nuaimi
Dubai: Al Maktoum
Fujairah: Al Sharqi
Ras Al-Khaimah: Al Qassimi (a junior branch of the ruling family of Sharjah)
Sharjah: Al Qassimi
Umn Al-Quwain: Al Mu'alla

source: www.uae.org.ae

Hi there,

Regarding detailed family trees of the royal family in Dubai, there are a very few available which i found on the web in arabic , however they are not up to date and they only have the names of male members of the Al Maktoum Family .

If you still wish to have a look at it i can traslate it into English and slightly update it

Passion, Thanks for your response. I am interested in the Al Nayhan family, so I will gracefully decline your kind offer to translate the Al Maktoum tree.
Kashmiri

Al Nahyan Family Tree

Kashmiri,
The following is the family tree of alnahyan family:(It might not be up-dated but, sorry this is what i could remember) :)

Sultan Al Nahyan(1922-1926)
- Hazaa Bin Sultan
- Khalid Bin Sultan
- Shakhbout Bin Sultan (1928-1966)
- Zayed Bin Sultan (1966-2004)
(Khalifa Bin Zayed)
-- Sultan Bin Khalifa (Mohamed + Zayed)
-- Mohamed Bin Khalifa (Zayed + Hamdan)
(Sultan Bin Zayed)
-- Hazaa Bin Sultan
-- Khalid Bin Sultan
(Mohammed Bin Zayed)
-- Khalid Bin Mohamed
-- Dhiab Bin Mohamed
-- Hamdan Bin Mohamed
-- Zayed Bin Mohamed
(Hamdan Bin Zayed)
-- Sultan Bin Hamdan
-- Mohamed Bin Hamdan
-- Zayed Bin Hamdan
-- Hazaa Bin Hamdan
-- Yas Bin Hamdan
(Hazaa Bin Zayed)
-- Zayed Bin Hazaa
-- Mohamed Bin Hazaa
(Saeed Bin Zayed)
-- Zayed Bin Saeed
-- Hamdan Bin Saeed
(Eisa Bin Zayed)
-- Dhiab Bin Eisa
-- Hamdan Bin Eisa
(Nahyan Bin Zayed)
(Saif Bin Zayed)
(Naser Bin Zayed)
(Ahmed Bin Zayed)
(Tahnoun Bin Zayed)
(Mansour Bin Zayed)
-- Zayed Bin Mansour
(Falah Bin Zayed)
(Hamed Bin Zayed)
(Dhiab Bin Zayed)
(Omar Bin Zayed)
(Abdallah Bin Zayed)
(Khalid Bin Zayed)

(Hamdan Bin Zayed)
Now has a Little Rashid ^_^

sheikh abdullah has a son, Mohammed
sheikh nahyan has a son, Zayed

what about us girls...?

I know the most important part of the family in the arab world is the males..
but what about the females?
Shaikh Zayed ( allah yerhamo) had daughters also..
can anyone tell me who they are?
i think he has one names alyazya if im not mistaken... am i correct?

Dubai - Al Maktoum dynasty

Here is a family tree of the Al Maktoum ruling family of Dubai.
It doesn't show the current generation of young Sheikhs, but gives a broad view of the extended family: Al Maktoum

Last edited:
Courtesy of Wikipedia, here is a list of the rulers of the various Emirates, dating back to the 1700s.

Can anyone please tell me exactly what Emir means? Does it have any genealogical significance?

Can anyone please tell me exactly what Emir means? Does it have any genealogical significance?

title of governors or rulers, usually in smaller states. Ex, Qatar's ruler is called Emir of Qatar rather than President of Qatar.

More info can be found here

Wonderful Dazzling that set me straight. I hadn´t thought of looking it up in Wiki and there was some fascinating facts. I was really wondering about this because there was the son of an Emir of Granada who after the fall/conquest of Granada was given the title of Infante of Granada and this intrigued me.

Ruling Family of Abu Dhabi - Al Nahyan

here is a nicely formatted family tree, though it still needs improvements.

Libro d'Oro di Melita

Last edited by a moderator:
Going further back for those interested...

Al Nhayyan come from the tribe of Bani Yas. Bani Yas have different roots since its actually an alliance of different tribes that was formed for political reasons. (to defend the country when attacked. ) Al Nhayyans originally are 'Dosaris' from Saudi Arabia who eventually led Bani Yas.

Sheikh Zayed mentioned his Dosari roots on several occasions.

On a practical note, I am wondering how the Al Maktoum family manages to avoid inherited genetic weaknesses since the present generation seems to be marrying their cousins like all the time with the obvious exception of Sheikh Mohammed and junior wife Princess Haya.

On a practical note, I am wondering how the Al Maktoum family manages to avoid inherited genetic weaknesses since the present generation seems to be marrying their cousins like all the time with the obvious exception of Sheikh Mohammed and junior wife Princess Haya.

Today you can test your risk before marriage.....the rest is from God. And by the way, Sheikh Mohammeds children are from more than two wifes. This increases the mixing of the genes.

Last edited:
:previous:
The 'Bahrain' link takes me to the index page of The Royal Ark, 'Royal and Ruling Houses of Africa, Asia, Oceania and the Americas'.
The index contains many sub-links, including those to Bahrain and Oman.

Back
Top Bottom