Royal Descendants from the Prophet Mohammad

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also alot of German royals and other royals (like Portugal, SPain, Itlay, etc., etc.) have had relations and marriages with Moors. In fact Queen Charlotte of Great Britain (consort of King George) was a descendant ofMoors. Therefore the Bristish RF has black and Islamic blood.

But also many European RF's are descendants of the Israeli kings. The British RF is a direct descendant of David and the Monegasque PF is a direct descendant of the House of Judah. And I am sure there are other European RF's descendants of the Israeli royalty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcon said:
As the Prophet Muhammad said " Rulership belongs to Quraish" (or something like that.I cant remember)

Anyway,...check out this family tree of the European descendents of the Quraish of Mecca.

http://www.compapp.dcu.ie/~humphrys/FamTree/Islam/
From what I've read in the Quran, Qureysh was a pagan tribe/religion in ancient Arabia and was in no way equivalent to the religion of Islam (therefore Qureyshi individuals weren't Muslim and vice versa). Prophet Muhammad was actually a member of Qureysh by birth until his conversion/reversion to Islam. Where (in what source/reference) did you find the quote mentioned above? If he did actually say those words, he was probably talking about how Qureyshi individuals were ruling over Arabia at a given time(s) in history.

lovy_bear said:
From what I've read in the Quran, Qureysh was a pagan tribe/religion in ancient Arabia and was in no way equivalent to the religion of Islam (therefore Qureyshi individuals weren't Muslim and vice versa). Prophet Muhammad was actually a member of Qureysh by birth until his conversion/reversion to Islam. Where (in what source/reference) did you find the quote mentioned above? If he did actually say those words, he was probably talking about how Qureyshi individuals were ruling over Arabia at a given time(s) in history.
lovy_bear, if I am not mistaken, most Qureysh tribesmen and women converted to islam before the death of the prophet.

Layla27 said:
lovy_bear, if I am not mistaken, most Qureysh tribesmen and women converted to islam before the death of the prophet.
Yes a lot of them did convert/revert to Islam, but once they became Muslim, the term Qureysh no longer applied to them (since they became the followers of another religion) (atleast that's what I've heard/read).

Hello friends!!

Actually, Quraish is the name of the most respected tribe in Arabia BEFORE Islam. It is the Prophet's tribe. However, by converting to Islam from paganism didnt mean people changed their names. There are millions of people who have "Quraishi" as surnames cuz it denotes where their ancestors came from. Genealogy is VERY important for muslims not to denote superiority, but just to let new generations know where their earliest forefathers came from.

As for the quote "Rulership is with Quraish", it was recorded in a book by TJ Winters called "Death and the Remembrance of the Afterlife". In it it is stated that when asked about who would succeed the Prophet, he said something along the lines of " This thing (rulership) is with the Quraish, the best of them shall lead the best of them, and the worst of them shall lead the worst". Here is a list of Quraishi rulers through the ages:

the first 4 Caliphs of the Islamic World
1.Abu Bakr as-Siddeeq (ancestor of Siddiqis)
2.Omar al-Farooq (ancestor of Farooqis)
3.Othmaan (ancestors of those who call themselves Osmanees)
4.Ali (Ancestor of the Alaawis, Shareefs and Sayyids)
5. Umayyad Caliphs of Damascus and Spain
6. Abbasid Caliphs of Baghdad (Ancestors of the Ameers of Bahawalpur, Pakistan)
7. Kings of Avadh (India)

The list is endless!!!!!

i remember a show that was on pbs, here in the states, a while ago that stated that queen charlotte of england was descended from a portuguese princess that was african. i'm sure that the link is still active if you go to the website : http://www.pbs.org

Royal Descendants from Muhammad

Hallo,

are there beside the Jordan and the Moroccan royal families any other families descendants from Muhammad, the founder of the muslim faith? And in which generation are the current leader descendent from Muhammad?

Thank you!

principessa

The entire British Royal Family descend from Muhammad and his grandson Hussein. The Arab kings of Seville married into the royal families of Castile and Portugal, which married other European royal families.

I would assume most European royals are also descendants.

spanish descent from mohammed is heavily debated and not certain. However, the former kings of Lybia are descendants as are the Sultans of Brunei

Also alot of German royals and other royals (like Portugal, SPain, Itlay, etc., etc.) have had relations and marriages with Moors. In fact Queen Charlotte of Great Britain (consort of King George) was a descendant ofMoors. Therefore the Bristish RF has black and Islamic blood.

This is a common misconception. The lover of King Alphonse III of Portugal, who is the common ancestor of nearly all the present day royals including Prince Charles, was not a Moor, she was descended from Sephardic jews and if you Google her family tree you can see more than one rabbi. She was given the name Mor which people confused with Moor, but it was the common diminutive of the medieval name Maior.
I know it is a nice thought, but it just isn´t true.

Hallo,

are there beside the Jordan and the Moroccan royal families any other families descendants from Muhammad, the founder of the muslim faith? And in which generation are the current leader descendent from Muhammad?

Thank you!

principessa

the Aga Khan (Shah Karīm al-Hussaynī, The Āgā Khān IV), the 49th and current Imam of the Shia Imami Ismaiili Muslims (their first Imam was Ali the cousin and son-in-law of the Prophet Muhammad).

Could anyone tell me if the Emirs of the extinct kingdom of Granada were descended from the Prophet, I have heard that most of the Portuguese royal family and some families in Tunisia are descendants.

Could anyone tell me if the Emirs of the extinct kingdom of Granada were descended from the Prophet.

No, they were not. The Nasrids were descendents of Sa'd ibn Ubada from Medina who was the Emir of the Banu Khazraj tribe at the time of the Prophet's death.

Thank you very much Veram. That is the information I was looking for and very interesting.

You are welcome:)
None of the dynasties ruling in al-Andalus were sherifian (descendents of the Prophet).

This is very interesting, but there is still something that intrigues me if it wasn´t through Granada , how is King Juan Carlos a descendant, I read something about the Pretender to the Portuguese throne saying the same and that it was through Saint Isabel, Queen of Portugal.

They may believe that they are descendents. But such a descent is not really documented in the sources (with any claim to historical basis).

There are several stories claiming a Mohammedan lineage of the Iberian royal families (and thus other European royals). The most "convicing" among them is that an ancestor of Saint Isabel's husband King Diniz (Denis) of Portugal was a Princess Sancha of Castile, herself daughter of King Alfonso VI of Castile-Leon and his wife Isabel. This Isabel is said to be a renamed and baptizied Zayda and be a member of the Abbadite family (in the 11th century the Arab Emirs of Sevilla). This was not a sherifian family with a male lineage to the Prophet (like the royals of Jordan and Morocco or the Aga Khan's family), but the founder of that dynasty was married to a daughter of Ismail al-Mansur, the third Caliph of the Fatimids in North Africa, and the Fatimids were direct descendents of the Prophet via his grandson Hussein (and are the forefathers of the Aga Khan).

Once again thank you for sharing your vast knowledge.

You are welcome.
One does not even know for sure that King Alfonso VI who had 5 or 6 wives was married to that Isabel/Zayda (who at least started as his mistress) and that his daughter Sancha's mother was really her and not another wife of him named Isabel.

That is all very true. The genealogical sites I looked at (after your post) gave her the benefit of the doubt and give her as the last wife of Alfonso VI and Sancha their daughter, but then who knows?

I think that the descendence of Zaida of Sevile is not certain, because of this reaseons:
Princess Zaida of Seville was a refugee Muslim princess who was a mistress and then perhaps queen of Alfonso VI of Castile. She is said by Iberian Muslim sources to have been the daughter-in-law of Al Mutamid, the Muslim King of Seville, wife of his son Abu al Fatah al Ma'Mun, Emir of Cordoba. Later Iberian Christian chroniclers call her Al Mutamid's daughter, but the Islamic chroniclers are considered more reliable.
So His Majesty the Queen could descende from the Prophet Muhammad from the Mayas of Portugal, by the investigation of Francisco António Dória.

There another descendence of the Prophet, but not by iberian lines. I have a information / letter from Burkes Peerage from 8 June 1993 that says « The Queen and Prinde Philip both descend from John Ducas, brother of Emperor Constantine XI (1059-1067). Jonh Ducas was a direct descendant of a sister of the Prophet» Unfortanelly, I don`t know nothing more than these.

Sincerly

Luís Menezes

I am interested in the question of whether these people were Christians voluntarily.
As descendants of the Prophet Muhammad, they are regarded in Islam as something special.

Mohammed had a sister????????

are you sure about this?

Muhammad had no siblings.

His father died before his birth, when his mother was pregnant with him.
His mother died when Muhammad was six years old.

The other lines of descendants in Europe from Muhammad the Prophet could be:

-Laras
-Banu Qasi
-Kings Arabs of Seville
-Maias
-Umayyids-Emir´s of Cordova

You could consult in Internet by:

- Arabia2 Europa: descent lines from Muhammed "The Prophet of Ismam"

Subject: Re: five descent-lines from Mohammed "The Prophet of Islam

After that I suggest to see the all the comments done in that sites

Luís

We Muslims believe in following through the descendants of Muhammad.

Zaynab Bint Muhammad is viewed as the oldest daughter of Muhammad and Khadijah Bint Khuwaylid by Sunni Muslims.
Zainab was married to her maternal cousin Abu al-‘As bin Al-Rabi‘ and that was before Al-Hijra.Married to Abu al-‘As bin Al-Rabi prior to his conversion and circumcision to Islam, she became the mother of two children: Ali and Umamah.
Ali ibn Zainab,died after a few years in 9 AH.
His sister Umamah Bint Zaynab,after the death of her aunt Fatimah she married Muhammad's cousin Ali Ibn Abu Talib. They had a common son,Hilal ibn Ali. She died in 66 AH (circa 685 CE).

Ruqayyah is viewed as the second daughter of Muhammad and Khadijah Bint Khuwaylid by Sunni Muslims.

She was first married to Utbah Ibn Abu Lahab. His father, Abu Lahab, forced Utbah to repudiate Ruqayyah due to Abu Lahab's opposition to Muhammad and his teachings. Muslim convert Uthman Ibn Affan had long admired Ruqayyah and was then able to ask for her hand in marriage. Ruqayyah's son was Abd -Allah Ibn Uthman, who died when he was 2 years old. Uthman Ibn Affan became the third Caliph of Islam.

Umm Kulthum bint Muhammad was the third daughter of Muhammad from his first wife Khadijah according to Sunni Muslims. Muhammad given second of his daughters to Uthman Ibn Affan after the death of first, the 3rd rightly guided Caliph of Islam. It is reported in a hadith that if the prophet had more daughters he would have also married them to Uthman.

Her first husband was Utaybah Ibn Abu Lahab and her second was Uthman Ibn Affan.
She died either in 9 AH (630 AD) or around the time of the battle of Badr (624AD).She had no Children.

Fatimah c. 605or 615–632) was the last and important daughter of Muhammad and Khadijah. She is regarded by Muslims as an exemplar for men and women.She remained at her father's side through the difficulties suffered by him at the hands of the Quraysh of Mecca. After migration to Medina, she marriedAli ibn Abi Talib, Muhammad's cousin.She died a few months after her father, and was buried in Jannat Al Baqi in the city of Medina, although the exact location of her grave is unknown. Most Shias believe that she was injured when defending Ali against the first Caliphate, and that this incident led to her early death.
Their marriage lasted about ten years and ended when Fatima died. Although polygyny is permitted by Islam, Ali did not marry another woman while Fatimah was alive.

Fatimah was survived by two sons, Hasan and Husayn, and two daughters,Zaynab and Umm Kulthum.Controversy surrounds the fate of her third son,Muhsin. Shias say that she miscarried following an attac on her House by Abu Bakr and Umar, while Sunnis insist that Muhsin died in his infancy of natural causes.

Modern descendants of Muhammad trace their lineage exclusively through Fatimah, as she was the only surviving child of Muhammad. Muhammad had no sons who reached adulthood.
Fatimah's descendants are given the honorific titles Sharif (meaning noble), sayyid (meaning lord or sir) and respected by both Sunni and Shi'a, though the Shi'as place much more emphasis and value on the distinction.

Thanks Timur Can for the info.. very informative indeed. There are many in Malaysia with the Syed's title. Islam came to Malaysia and the Malay region here via the sufis.

Islam in Spain

I am interested in the question of whether these people were Christians voluntarily.
As descendants of the Prophet Muhammad, they are regarded in Islam as something special.

From my readings of the history of Islam in Spain and my visits there.. most of the muslims were either forced to leave the country/ expelled or forcefully converted to Christianity or faced death, after the Islamic empire were defeated which was referred to as the "reconquista".

With Zaida (or Isabella) in one of the geneological pages it said she was muslim descendant of the Prophet, but later "baptized" as catholic and was married to a Catholic King.

Isabella Perez (Isabella of Castile) Princess of Castile & Leon - Descendant of: Muhammad - The Prophet

" [SIZE=-1]Alfonso Ferdinandez VI, King of León & Castile, b. BEF JUN 1040 & [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]() Zaida (Isabella) [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]born est c.1075 later bapt as a Christian - Died: 1107 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Notes: It may look like Zaida married her brother from this data! This is because of a conflict between sources on who she was. Sources in Morocco are convinced she was the daughter of the Emir. They claim that the Christians in Spain removed and altered records that indicated a Muslim ancestory for their Royal houses. The Emir was exiled in Morocco after being expelled from Spain, and it is claimed records from this time are still in Morocco. I leave it for future scholars to investigate. Others say she did not mother any children by Alfonso [/SIZE] "

Islam was practised if any in seclusion and underground for those remaining in the country.

| Victory News Magazine | Mosque Opens in Granada, Spain |

I would think if they converted to Christianity due to unavoidable circumstances and due to force, not voluntarily.

From what I see most of the muslims in present day Spain are new migrants, either opening businesses there (several of the souvenir stores I visited are owned by muslim migrants) or with one muslim family I met the husband was teaching at one of the university there.

When I was visiting Al Hambra, our guide I believe told me his family were descendants of old Spanish muslims. I didn't ask if they are still muslims or if he is, whether he practises Islam as a faith. But the sad thing is all the Islamic ruins and architectures were converted to Christian churches and stocked w effigies and statues, except for the Al Hambra which is left as it is, a beautiful architecture of a garden. While visiting the Cordoba Mezquita, several muslim tourists asked to pray inside during prayer time but the guard did not allowed.

There seems to be some flexibility in recent times to allow the building of mosque there. ie Malaysia also contributes to the building of a mosque in present day Spain if not mistaken is this one in Granada.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39260000/jpg/_39260735_minaret2-203.jpg

BBC NEWS | Europe | Mosque signals Muslims' return to Spain

but from my readings, they won't allow the re-conversion of the olden mosques to what it were before coz most have been converted to catholic churches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom