Royal Cousins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crown princess Victoria of Sweden
Crown prince haakon of Norway
Crown prince Frederik of Denmark
Prince Charles of wales
Prince Felipe of Asturias
Heirs and cousins in one way or another

Queen Elizabeth II of england
Queen Sofia of Spain
King Juan Carlos I of Spain
King Harald v of Norway
King Carl xvi gustaf of Sweden
King micheal I of Romania
Constantine II of Greece
Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Queen margarethe II of denmark
Monarchs and cousins through either or both queen Victoria of England or king Christian Ix of Denmark sometimes more than once

With all the intermarriage between descendants of just HM Queen Victoria of Great Britain and her first-cousin husband, Prince Albert, it is amazing (or untrue) there has not been nary a seriously deformed and/or seriously disabled/ mentally challenged offspring resulting from the union of descendants of HM QV who are related several times over - such as HM King JC of Spain and his wife, HM Queen Sofia. Because of this increased risk to an innocent 'potential child,' the introduction of new DNA/genes into many RF's these days was/is much needed and is for the best.

Intermarriage is not necesserily the cause of physical and/or mental impairment in children, however it DOES mean that the potential for these conditions already in a family never become diluted......and thus gives rise to tales of hairy monsters and hideous deformaties locked away in Royal attics.

Many U.S. Presidents are descended from European nobility - most notably Plantagenets, but also many others. Included are:

George Washington
John Quincy Adams
Thomas Jefferson
James Madison (Zachary Taylor's cousin)
Zachary Taylor
Both Roosevelts
Woodrow Wilson
George Bush and George W. Bush
Andrew Jackson

And John Adams, while not straightforwardly descended from Royalty, is a descendant of Welsh aristocracy (and he married a woman with royal ancestry).

If you read much about the late Middle Ages or Renaissance, you at once realize that many younger sons or wayward children of aristocracy would have fled to a New World, had there been one - and their families would have helped them do so, either out of sentiment or to squash scandals.

Many of the sea captains who helped transport to Jamestown were descendants of nobility, often through female lines or younger brothers. Many of the investors in Jamestown had royal ancestry at some point (like the Taillefers).

There is a lot more. The Royal Blood of Some American Presidents. I've posted where this line goes back to Adam and Eve through of course the Royal House of David.

I'm related to the Adams on my mothers side and John the second was the father of John Quincey who was the sixth President related to the Spencers.

This is the main link for Genealogy-Roglo. The links don't last. Cináed I is Kenneth MacAlpin or Kenneth I of Scotland founder of my fathers family Clan. I ran from him to George Bush. The Adams and Spencers are related as I said however, this link says there is none.

Princess Diana's grandmother Lady Cynthia Elinor Beatrix Hamilton decends from James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton married to Mary Stewart, Princess of Scotland. Making Prince William and Harry related to the Grimaldis thru both parents not just Prince Charles.

Its been three years since I did it but Rainier III father traced to Olof Skotkonung, King of Sweden making them cousins to Sweden's Royal family on both sides not just through Louis II. You never know what you will find with some of the programs available now online. Rainiers parents were also cousins through their Scottish ancestors.

When people say Prince Albert of Monaco looks like his mother and Rainier isn't his father I laugh. My family isn't related to the Kelly family but Grimaldis on our Scottish side. When Albert was younger he looked like he could have been my brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Elizabeth II of england
Queen Sofia of Spain
King Juan Carlos I of Spain
King Harald v of Norway
King Carl xvi gustaf of Sweden
King micheal I of Romania
Constantine II of Greece
Queen Anne Marie of Greece
Queen margarethe II of denmark
Monarchs and cousins through either or both queen Victoria of England or king Christian Ix of Denmark sometimes more than once
And two sets of royal siblings: King Constantine and Queen Sofia are brother and sister, Queen Margarethe and Queen Anne-Marie are sisters.

Oh yes, LadyMacAlpine - there's a lot more.

Would you please explain how related to each other Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Queen Sophia of Spain?

Would you please explain how related to each other Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and Queen Sophia of Spain?

King George I Greece - King Constantine I - King Paul - Queen Sophia
King Geirge I Greece - Prince Andrew - Prince Phillip
so first cousins once removed.
Another line
Queen Victoria - Empress Friedricj Germany - Princess Sophie - King Paul Greece - Queen Sophia
Queen Victoria - Princess Alice - Princess Luoise von Hesse - Princess Alice Battenberg - Prince Phillip
Third cousins this way.

:previous:
Thank you so much!
I only knew that both Prince Philip and Queen Sophia are from the Greece Royal Family, so I supposed that they could be relatives :flowers:

Last edited:
you are welcome, I enjoy working out the relationships

I have an understanding that crown prince Alexander II of Yugoslavia and crown princess margarita of Romania are family through Queen Marie of Romania
And that King Albert II of Belgium is grand duke Henri of luxembourg's uncle making Guillaume and Philippe family.

HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain and HRH prince phillip, duke of Edinburgh are cousins through the brothers Louis and Henry Mountbatten and both are also related to their respective wives as well, I just wonder if when they met their future wives they knew they were cousins?

How Were" Willy and Nicky" Related
Frederick William III of Prussia -> William I, German Emperor -> Frederik III, German Emperor -> William II, German Emperor
Frederick William III of Prussia -> Alexandra Feodorovna, Empress of Russia -> Alexander II of Russia -> Alexander III of Russia -> Nicholas II of Russia
They were thrid cousins once removed.

HM king Juan Carlos I of Spain and HRH prince phillip, duke of Edinburgh are cousins through the brothers Louis and Henry Mountbatten and both are also related to their respective wives as well, I just wonder if when they met their future wives they knew they were cousins?
They most definitely did. Most European royals were (and still are) related, so it would have been hard to find one even in distant relation, let alone not related at all.
In case of Juan Carlos, I imagine there was a long search for an "eligible" Princess and Sofia ticked all boxes. Prince Philip knew Princess Elizabeth since she was a little girl; their meeting was arranged by Earl Mountbatten and both parties knew about it beforehand.

Both King George V and his wife Queen Mary were great-grandchildren of King George III and his consort Queen Charlotte. QV's father was G&C's 3rd son, The Duke of Kent, and their 7th and youngest son was Prince Adolphus, The Duke of Cambridge. So The Duke of Cambridge's daughter, Princess Mary Adelaide, and Princess Victoria (later QV) were 1st cousins. Mary Adelaide's daughter with husband Prince Francis of Teck, Princess Victoria Mary "May," married the future King George V. ??

^ I think that Princess Mary Adelaide (the Duchess of Teck) was probably quite glad that she and Queen Victoria were first cousins, actually. She and her husband had a hard time living within the bounds of their income and Victoria was good for a cheque on occasions!

Another 1st cousin of Princess Alexandrina Victoria of Kent (QV) and Mary Adelaide of Teck (née of Cambridge) was Princess Charlotte of Wales (all 3's fathers were brothers - sons of George III and Charlotte). Princess Charlotte was also the wife of QV's maternal uncle, Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. Charlotte of Wales died during the birth of her and Leopold's 1st child, a stillborn boy. Despondent, Leopold was later offered the position of "King of the Belgians," he accepted, was later remarried. 2 of QV's 1st cousins from Leo's 2nd marriage were Leopold II of the Belgians and Empress Carlota of Mexico (née Princess Charlotte of Belgium). QV's own husband, Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was also a 1st cousin through her mother, The Duchess of Kent. The Duchess of Kent was the younger sister of Albert's father, Prince Ernest of Saxe-Coburg-Saafield (later Saxe-Coburg-Gotha). ???

From Wikipedia : Post World War I era

In modern times, among European royalty at least, marriages between royal dynasties have become much rarer than they once were. Members of Europe's dynasties increasingly married members of the titled nobility, including George VI of the United Kingdom, Charles, Prince of Wales, Albert II of Belgium, Hans-Adam II of Liechtenstein, or untitled nobility as Philippe of Belgium and Beatrix of the Netherlands, and very often commoners, as Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden, Harald V of Norway, Henri of Luxembourg, Felipe VI of Spain, Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Albert II of Monaco have done.

In Europe, only Juan Carlos I of Spain, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein married members of a foreign dynasty.[n 7][61]

This being said, royal intermarriage still occurs. For example:

Members of two reigning houses:
1) Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein and Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg (1982, most recent example of intermarriage between two European dynasties reigning at the time of the wedding)
2) Constantine II of Greece and Princess Anne Marie of Denmark (1964)
3) Juan Carlos I of Spain and Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark (1962)
4) Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Princess Joséphine Charlotte of Belgium (1953)
5) Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Philip Mountbatten (born a Prince of Greece and Denmark) (1947)
6) Peter II of Yugoslavia and Princess Alexandra of Greece and Denmark (1944)
7) Frederick IX of Denmark and Princess Ingrid of Sweden (1935)
8) Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark (1934)
9) Umberto II of Italy and Princess Marie José of Belgium (1930)
10) Boris III of Bulgaria and Princess Giovanna of Italy (1930)
11) Olav V of Norway and Princess Märtha of Sweden (1929)
12) Leopold III of Belgium and Princess Astrid of Sweden (1926)
13) Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden and Lady Louise Mountbatten (born as Princess Louise of Battenberg) (1923)
14) Alexander I of Yugoslavia and Princess Maria of Romania (1922)

Members of one reigning house and one non-reigning house:

1) Princess Caroline of Monaco and Ernst August, Prince of Hanover (1999)
2) Princess Doña María of Bourbon and Archduke Simeon of Austria (1996)
3) Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein and Duchess Sophie in Bavaria (1993)
4) Princess Astrid of Belgium and Archduke Lorenz of Austria-Este (1984)
5) Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg and Archduke Carl Christian of Austria (1982)
6) Princess Barbara of Liechtenstein and Prince Alexander of Yugoslavia (1973)
7) Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Richard, 6th Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg (1968)
8) Princess Irene of the Netherlands and Carlos Hugo, Duke of Parma (1964)
9) Princess Birgitta of Sweden and Prince Johann Georg of Hohenzollern (1961)
10) Princess Alix of Luxembourg and Antoine, 13th Prince de Ligne (1950)

Modern examples of dynastic intra-marriage:

1)Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark and Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark (1933)

---As a result of dynastic intra-marriage all of Europe's 10 currently reigning hereditary monarchs since 1939 descend from a common ancestor, Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange.

I read that last Queen of Italy Maria Josè of Belgium and also her brothers Leopold III of Belgium and Prince Charles Count of Flanders are cousins of Queen Elizabeth II.

Please, could someone tell me what is the connection between them?

I read that last Queen of Italy Maria Josè of Belgium and also her brothers Leopold III of Belgium and Prince Charles Count of Flanders are cousins of Queen Elizabeth II.

Please, could someone tell me what is the connection between them?

That's a stretch at best to call them cousins. As far as I can see from a cursory glance Leopold, Marie-Jose and Charles on their fathers side have the ancestor Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Francis was the grandfather of Queen Victoria who is Elizabeth II great great grandmother.

That's a stretch at best to call them cousins. As far as I can see from a cursory glance Leopold, Marie-Jose and Charles on their fathers side have the ancestor Francis, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld. Francis was the grandfather of Queen Victoria who is Elizabeth II great great grandmother.

No cousins at all, indeed:

King Leopold III / Princess Marie-José / Prince Charles
|
Albert I, King of the Belgians
x Elizabeth, Herzogin in Bayern
|
Philippe, prince de Belgique
x Maria, Prinzessin von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen
|
Leopold I, King of the Belgians
x Louise, princesse d'Orléans
|
Franz, Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg-Saalfeld
x Auguste Prinzessin Reuß zu Ebersdorf
|
Ernst I, Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha
x Luise, Prinzessin von Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg
|
Albert, Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha
x Victoria, Queen of the UK of GB & I
|
Edward VII, King of the UK of GB & I
x Alexandra, Princess of Denmark
|
George V, King of the UK of GB & NI
x Mary, Princess of Teck
|
George VII, King of the UK of GB & NI
x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
|
Queen Elizabeth II / Princess Margaret

Last edited:
Kinship between King Felipe VI of Spain and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales

a) Via King Juan Carlos I of Spain and Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom>Princess Beatrice of the United Kingdom>Princess Victoria Eugenie of Battemberg> Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona > King Juan Carlos I of Spain > King Felipe VI of Spain

Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom> King Edward VII of the United Kingdom> King George V of the United Kingdom> King George VI of the United Kingdom> Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom> Prince Charles, Prince of Wales

Hence, King Felipe VI and Prince Charles are fourth cousins in this line.

b) Via Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and Sofia of Greece, Queen Emerita of Spain

George I, King of the Hellenes> Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark> Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh>Prince Charles, Prince of Wales.

George I, King of the Hellenes>Constantine I, King of the Hellenes> Paul, King of the Hellenes> Queen Sofia > King Felipe VI of Spain.

Hence, King Felipe VI is the Prince of Wales' second cousin once removed in this line.

Last edited:
Of the current European royal houses the most numerous royal cousins

The Spanish Royal Family and the Greek Royal Family
The Danish Royal Family and the Greek Royal Family
The Belgian Royal Family and Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

Back
Top Bottom