Royal Cousins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crown-Princess Margaret of Romania, apart from the cousins from her father's side is:
-second cousin of Grand-duke Henri
-second cousin of Archduke Karl, son of Otto de Habsburg
-third cousin of king Harald(fourth through her father)
-third cousin of Queen Margrethe
-third cousin of Albert II

Yes.
1. Carl (1804-1856) Furst von Leiningen 1814-1856 married 1829-1848 div, with Marie Grafin Klebelsberg (1806-1880)- son Ernst (1830-1904) married with Marie Zahringen, Princes von Baden (1834-1899) two children. Leiningen
2. Feodore (1807-1872) Princess von Leiningen married with Ernst, Prince zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg (1794-1860) six children. Hohenlohe

x x
Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feodara granddaughter, Dona of S.H.S.A., Married Victorias grandson, Emperor Wilhelm II of Germany.

How is the Last Tsar (Nicholas II) Related to Elizabeth II

Nicholas II and his wife Alexandra were both first cousins to George V (Alexandra's mother Alice was a sister to George's father Edward VII; George and Nicholas' mothers, Dagmar (Marie Feodorovna) and Alix, were sisters.) So...Nicholas II would either be a second cousin or a second cousin twice removed to Elizabeth II through the Danish line, but I'm not sure. Anyone else know?

Christian IX - Alix - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II
Christian IX - MF - Nicholas II

She was also related to Nicholas II's wife Alexandra through Queen Victoria:

QV - Alice - Alix
QV - EVII - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II

AND Nicholas II and his wife, Alexandra, were also second cousins to each other.

Last edited:
Actually, now that I've looked at it again I think they'd be FIRST cousins twice removed. Second cousins mean they're the same generation, and NII and EII obviously wouldn't be.

they are second cousins twice removed.
Second cousins are of the same generation, the twice removed indicates how many generations further on one is from the other

Queen Elizabeth II of The UK and her husband Prince Philp,Duke of Edinburg are third cousins. Grand Herni of Luxembourg and Prince Carlos -Hugo of Bourbon-Parma are second cousins.

Who is the link in the Grimaldi tree that hooks them into the rest of the royal families? I had no clue that the Grimaldi family were cousins of any sort to the royals! That's exciting new for me!

:previous:
The common hook is Johann Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (d 1693).
From him descend the current Heads and Monarchs of Albania, Austria, Bavaria, Belgium, Denmark, Great Britain, Greece, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.

The Monaco descent:
Johann Georg II > Henriette Amalie > Jan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange > Anna Charlotte > Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden > Karl Ludwig > Karl, Grand Duke of Baden > Marie > Mary (dau of the 11th Duke of Hamilton) > Louis II, Prince of Monaco > Charlotte > Rainier III > Albert II.

source: Burke's Royal Families of the World, Vol I

Thank you Warren, that's so very exciting! I had researched my genealogy and found I had some relationships shared with some of the royal families, but I never considered that the Grimaldi family had shared any of those connections! :flowers::queen3:

Prince Amedeo of Belgium and his siblings are cousins to the Luxembourg on both sides of their family. On their mom's side King Albert II was brother to Grand Duchess Charlotte Henri's Mother. On their father's side Empress Zita (nee Bourbon-Parma) Amedeo's great grandmother and Felix of Bourbon-Parma were brother and sister. Felix of Bourbon-Parma is the father of Grand Duke Jean and grandfather of the reigning Duke Henri.

I don't know where I found this chart. I've had it saved on my computer for awhile. I thought I would share post it, but I didn't know where exactly, so I am posting it here. Maybe it might help when trying to understand the relationships between royal families.

Attachments

• Family Relationship Chart.png
    Family Relationship Chart.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 888
:previous:
The common hook is Johann Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (d 1693).
From him descend the current Heads and Monarchs of Albania, Austria, Bavaria, Belgium, Denmark, Great Britain, Greece, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.

The Monaco descent:
Johann Georg II > Henriette Amalie > Jan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange > Anna Charlotte > Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden > Karl Ludwig > Karl, Grand Duke of Baden > Marie > Mary (dau of the 11th Duke of Hamilton) > Louis II, Prince of Monaco > Charlotte > Rainier III > Albert II.

source: Burke's Royal Families of the World, Vol I
This is the one most know of. The Duke of Hamilton also has Royal ties to the Windsors, Hanovers and cousins to the Spencers through Diana's grandmother. Instead of trying to list it this is a link to the Grimaldi Ancestors where you can find the information several of us have posted. Rainier's parents were also cousins.

The royals are uncomfortably close but I think a lot of us commoners are also closer related than we realise. We just don't have our family trees perfectly recorded going back hundreds of years so we can work it all out.:ermm:

A lot of us commoners are also related to royals so marrying commoners doesn't automatically guarantee to adequately dilute the blood line. For instance I'm a commoner descended from Australian pioneers in the 1700s but I'm also related to Eugenie Empress of France (through her mother) who was of Scottish Closeburn stock like me. We'd be cousins to some degree. I guess my point is that it seems the whole world is related nowadays no matter where we live or our social backgrounds.

Genealogy chart of Johann Georg II showing Royal Cousins, The Netherlands, Denmark, Norway, Luxembourg, Sweden, Belgium, Spain, Great Britain, Monaco and Liechtenstein from Special Royals Issue of Life the summer 1998. I split the first chart into two parts to make the names easier to read.

Chart 1, Chart 2, Chart 3

I also just ran a program that says Johann Georg II is a descendant of Kenneth I of Scotland. Ancestors of Johann Georg II, Prinz von Anhalt-Dessau up to Cináed I(Kenneth I), king of Scotland: click here.

Last edited:
what do you mean by twice removed???
i also wonder how they interact with each other. I mean my cousins and I are close especially the first and 2nd cousins..are they also close???

Lady MacAlpine - I love your charts, that's really helpful to see it all drawn out like that.

crownprincessrhey - It's sort of hard to explain how removals and so on work without being able to draw you a diagram, but I'll try to do it in words. First cousins, of course, are people whose parents are siblings and who have the same grandparents. For instance, Frederik of Denmark and Alexia of Greece are first cousins because their mothers (Margrethe and Anne-Marie) are sisters and they share Frederik IX and Ingrid as grandparents. Frederik and Alexia's children - say, Christian and Arrietta Morales - are 2nd cousins. 2nd cousins have parents who are first cousins. When Christian and Arrietta both have kids of their own, those kids will be 3rd cousins, then the grandkids will be 4th cousins, and so on through future generations.

Here's how removals work. A lot of people think that since Fred and Alexia are first cousins, Fred's son Christian is Alexia's 2nd cousin and her daughter Arrietta is Fred's 2nd cousin. This is not true. When you move between generations, you have a removal. You look back to the nearest generational pair - in this case Fred and Alexia - and then you count how many generations back it was - in this case one. So Christian is Alexia's 1st cousin, once removed. Christian's children will be two generations away from Fred and Alexia, so Alexia and those kids will be 1st cousins, twice removed. Christian's children and Arrietta (Alexia's daughter) will be 2nd cousins (going back to the pair of Christian and Arrietta) once removed (going one generation down).

Does that make sense?

thank you very much maura, it was really helpful...i learned a lot...thanks again

The Scandinavian heirs are fairly closely related through Oscar II of Sweden and Queen Victoria of England:

Frederick and Victoria are double second cousins:

QV ----->Arthur ------>Margaret ----->Gustaf ------>Carl XVI Gustaf ----> Victoria

QV ---->Edward VII--->Margaret ----->Ingrid -------> Margrethe II ------> Frederick

Oscar II ----->Gustaf V -----> Gustaf VI Adolf ------>Ingrid ------> Margrethe II -----> Frederick

Oscar II
----->Gustaf V -----> Gustaf VI Adolf ------>Gustaf------->Carl XVI Gustaf ------> Victoria

Victoria is a third cousin, once removed to Haakon:

Oscar II ----->Carl ------>Martha ----->Harald V ----->Haakon
Oscar II------>Gustaf V-->Gustaf VI Adolf--->Gustaf---->Carl XVI Gustaf ---->Victoria

Frederick is also a third cousin, once removed to Haakon:

Oscar II ----->Gustaf V ----->Gustaf VI Adolf ----> Ingrid ----> Margrethe II ----> Frederick

Oscar II ----->Carl --------->Martha------------>Harald V------> Haakon

Pfffew.... I'd love to see a proper tree of the connections between all these royals. With colours for the different families etc. Written in words it stays confusing.
But then, one would need to take at least a sabbatical to have time enough to make it.

I'm sorry, Leslie, but I think you made some mistakes. If I'm not totally wrong, the common ancestry to Queen Victoria should be like this:

Victoria ---> Edward ---> Maud ---> Olav ---> Harald ---> Haakon

Victoria ---> Arthur ---> Margareth --- > Gustaf Adolf --- > Carl Gustaf ---> Victoria

Victoria ---> Arthur ---> Margareth --- > Ingrid ---> Margarethe ---> Frederick

And let's not forget either, that the Norvegian royal family actually is a part of the Danish royal family.

Frederick VIII ---> Christian X ---> Frederick IX ---> Margarethe II ---> Frederick

Frederick VIII ---> Carl/Haakon ---> Olav V ---> Harald V ---> Haakon

Late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxembourg is the sister of King Albert of Belgium. Josephine Charlotte"s daughter Marie Astrid married Archduke Carl Christian who is a cousin of Archduke Lorenz of Austria, now Prince of Belgium, who is the son in law of King Albert of Belgium. So the children of both the couples are second cousins twice.

The Prince Michel of Ligne married D. Leonora of Brazil, whose brother, D. Antonio married Princess Christine of Ligne, The sister of Prince Michel of Ligne. So the children of both the couples are cousins twice.

Princess Alix of Luxembourg, is the sister of Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg. She married a Prince of Ligne (Unfortunately i cannot remember his name!). So, Grand Duke Henri and Prince Michel of Ligne are cousins

Grand Duke Henri"s sister Princess Margaretha has married Prince Nikolaus of Liechtenstein who is the brother of Prince Hans Adam of Liechtenstien

I'm sorry, Leslie, but I think you made some mistakes. If I'm not totally wrong, the common ancestry to Queen Victoria should be like this:

Victoria ---> Edward ---> Maud ---> Olav ---> Harald ---> Haakon

Victoria ---> Arthur ---> Margarethe --- > Gustaf Adolf --- > Carl Gustaf ---> Victoria

Victoria ---> Arthur ---> Margarethe --- > Ingrid ---> Margarethe ---> Frederick

And let's not forget either, that the Norvegian royal family actually is a part of the Danish royal family.

Frederick VIII ---> Christian X ---> Frederick IX ---> Margarethe II ---> Frederick

Frederick VIII ---> Carl/Haakon ---> Olav V ---> Harald V ---> Haakon

Yeah you're right with the Queen Victoria connection; it was about 2:00 AM when I originally typed that up (in Word) so now that I look at it, the mistakes make sense.

So Haakon and Victoria are 4th cousins, Frederick and Victoria are 2nd cousins through Queen Victoria; Haakon and Frederick are 3rd cousins through Frederick VIII. What about their connection through Oscar II of Sweden? I probably screwed that one up too. lol

Those connections would be:

Oscar II ---> Gustaf V --- > Gustaf VI Adolf ---> Gustaf Adolf ---> Carl XVI Gustaf ---> Victoria

Oscar II ---> Gustaf V ---> Gustaf VI Adolf ---> Ingrid ---> Margarethe II ---> Frederick

Oscar II ---> Carl ---> Märta ---> Harald V ---> Haakon

So if I've understood this correctly, Victoria and Frederick are still 2nd cousins, and Haakon is their mutual 3rd cousin once removed.

So the Scandinavian royals are fairly closely related then. Wow. I've also read several times that Victoria, Frederick and Haakon are more like siblings to each other than cousins. They're all fairly close in age too - Frederick is the oldest (born 1968), followed by Haakon (born 1973), then Victoria (born 1977).

King Albert of Belgium and King Harald of Norway are cousins, their mothers are sisters

You all talk about adding "fresh blood" to the royal lines by having the various royals marry "commoners". The only way Prince William could add "fresh blood", for instance, to the Royal family in the UK is if he married an Asian or African girl. Let me put it this way...is there anyone here who is descended from Sir Thomas Fairfax and Ann Gascoigne, or from Sir Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmorland (through either of his wives....Margaret Stafford or Joan Beaufort). If you are, and your a woman (of the right age to be young enough to be William's fiancee), then you'll be William's 19th Cousin via Sir Ralph or 15th Cousin via Sir Thomas. It means that there are a great number of women around who are fairly close cousins of the Prince...quite a few million of them to be precise.

It doesn't matter who he marries, there is a good chance that they are actually family and not as far removed as you might think or believe.

Well, 15th cousin is hardly that closely related, is it? It's not like the royals of older days, who married their 1rst cousins.

It seems like most of the royal households in Europe have a connection to each other. Some are more close than others. It's been very interesting when royals marry commoners and the commoners that they marry usually have link to them (of course it's 12 or 13 times removed or further back but the link is still there). The link always seems to be there. It would be interesting to find out how many royals have married a commoner that shared no link to them at all or had no royal bloodline at all. I can think of a few people but I'm not 100% sure.

Well, 15th cousin is hardly that closely related, is it? It's not like the royals of older days, who married their 1rst cousins.

No, it's not like the olden days, however, 15th cousins isn't all that distant. If you were talking 25th or 30th cousins, then you'd be talking some distance between the two people. Anything more than 20th cousins is a good distance between two people.

It seems like most of the royal households in Europe have a connection to each other. Some are more close than others. It's been very interesting when royals marry commoners and the commoners that they marry usually have link to them (of course it's 12 or 13 times removed or further back but the link is still there). The link always seems to be there. It would be interesting to find out how many royals have married a commoner that shared no link to them at all or had no royal bloodline at all. I can think of a few people but I'm not 100% sure.

There would be a few people with no royal links around, but not as many as you would think. Most people would have some form of aristocracy in their family trees.

Back
Top Bottom