Portugal and Brazil: the Bragança Dynasty

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austria

Commoner
City
Sacramento
Country
United States
Might anyone know the biography and family history of
August Braganza, born 1817, Frankfurt on the Oder River / Austria?
Was he connected with the Austrian, Prussian, Orleans, Parma, Danish, German, Russian, etc., line(s)?

This information is not on the internet to my knowledge. This gentleman is in a genealogical book for the Braganza's, in which I do not have access.

Thank you in advance for your expertise and for sharing.

The genealogy of the Bragança dynasty from 1706 to the present day can be found in Paul Theroff's gotha.
If August Braganza (/Bragança) is not listed it may indicate he has no connection to the Portuguese Royal House or his ancestors left the main branch several centuries ago.

The genealogy of the Bragança dynasty from 1706 to the present day can be found in Paul Theroff's gotha.
If August Braganza (/Bragança) is not listed it may indicate he has no connection to the Portuguese Royal House or his ancestors left the main branch several centuries ago.

Thank you Warren for such a quick response. Do you sleep? ;)

I did review your attached link to no avail. Everything is a learning experience, so the time was not wasted. As I have seen this gentleman in an official Braganza genealogical book, (might be a book re illegitimate lines??), and since he is not to be located in public records, there appears to be a good reason the public is not to learn about him or his family's circumstances. I was hopeful and thought I would ask this Forum. Thanks for your time. :flowers:

Does anyone know how the Braganza (/Braganca) genealogy book(s) work?

How can an 1817 birth of August Braganza (/Braganca) be listed in a Braganza (/Braganca) genealogy book (with his picture) yet Paul Theroff's genealogy of the Braganza (/Braganca) dynasty from 1706 to the present not include an 1817 birth? 1706 --- 1817 --- 2009--- I'm sure there is a logical explanation and this is not implying a mistake or a slight on Paul Theroff's work, which I'm sure is accurate.

If he has no connection to the Portuguese Royal House or his ancestors left the main branch several centuries ago, which is possible of course, then why would August be included in the genealogy book? I'm trying to understand how this works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some genealogies will only list those who are dynasts or recognised members of the royal House, others will list all descendants including those from morganatic marriages, unrecognised unions and what were once called "illegitimate issue".

Some genealogies will only list those who are dynasts or recognised members of the royal House, others will list all descendants including those from morganatic marriages, unrecognised unions and what were once called "illegitimate issue".

That's good Warren. Thanks. The book that I saw might have been more comprehensive, while the other genealogies might be more dynastic. Thanks.

Is there anywhere a genealogical list of the family of Saxe-Coburgo e Braganca?

Thank you!

Brazil or Portugal?
The Portuguese branch became extinct in the male line with the death of King Manoel II in 1932.
The Brazilian branch is represented by Dom Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança, his children and grandchildren, and his brother and two sisters.

These Wiki links will help piece it together...

Saxe-Coburg-Bragança

Princess Leopoldina of Brazil (1847-1871) married Prince August of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha
Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Bragança (1867-1922) son of August and Leopoldina
Princess Teresa Cristina of Saxe-Coburg-Bragança (1902-1990) daughter of August Leopold; Head of the Saxe-Coburg-Bragança branch
Dom Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança (1931- ) eldest son of Teresa Cristina; current Head of the S-C & B branch
Afonso Carlos Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança (1970- ) eldest son of Dom Carlos

Isn't the house of Orleans Braganza the brazil one and the house of Braganza the Portuguese one?

:previous:
Yes, and both had Saxe-Coburg-Bragança lines of which only that of the Imperial House of Brazil is extant.

I have had the great pleasure to talk with HI&RH Prince Bertrand of Orleans-Bragança a couple of times and was very impressed with his commitment to the restoration of proper traditional social order (which I very much favour)in various places throughout the world, including the U.S. He was charming (and decidedly opinionated), however I was unclear as to the significance of his title in practical or theoretical application and would like to know more about him as a person. If you please, would Warren or another kindly fill me in about him and his immediate family with whatever information you might have. Thank you so much.

:previous:
Hi Rachel Marie

I'd suggest you have a lesiurely cruise through the Imperial Family of Brazil subforum in the Non-Reigning Houses area.
If you prefer to concentrate on Prince Bertrand just search the subforum with the keyword of 'Bertrand'.

Here is the link to the Wiki page on Prince Bertrand: Bertrand
and the link to the Wiki page on his elder brother Prince Luis, one of the two claimants to the Imperial Throne of Brazil: Luis

Unfortunately within Brazil the two brothers' very strict views and innate conservatism hold little appeal outside of traditionalist Roman Catholic circles. Their doctrinaire social outlook has led to serious divisions within royalist supporters and is generally acknowledged as having contributed to the unexpectedly heavy rejection of the royalist option in the 1993 constitutional plebiscite.

v The two thumbnails below show...
1. where to find the search function, and
2. the results of a 'Bertrand' search.

Searching the subforum will narrow down the number of threads in which the Prince is mentioned. You can then refine the search further by searching individual threads in the same manner.

I trust this has helped.

Attachments

• Search.jpg
    Search.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 337
  • Search result.jpg
    Search result.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 469
Back
Top Bottom