Oldest Royal and Noble Families

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Bagration family?There are some sources that state that first Bagration Prince is mentioned in 314 AD...

I found this about Bagration daynasty(Grand Duchess Leonida's family):

"Early Georgian historians describe its descent from Vakhtang I Gorgasal,King of Iberia in 446-502,through his great grandson Gurgen I,whose royal title was acknowledged by the Emperor Justinian I in 575.According to Price Toumanoff,first Bagratid prince was chronicled as early as 314 AD.Certain history of the family begins in the 8th century."

Carolingians were still related to the Merovingians, just not through the male line.

The oldest noble family I know of in England which is the House of Buckman, which goes back to before 1066 which they held seats and then after William conquered England they continued to hold seats. It has been carried through the ages to when it came to America in the early 1700's, lately it has been carried through female lines to my Grandmother. The oldest noble family of Germany I know of is the George's, not spelled like the others of Germany spelled Georg, can be traced to 1256.

...The oldest noble family of Germany I know of is the George's, not spelled like the others of Germany spelled Georg, can be traced to 1256.
1256 is quite late. There are plenty of noble families which can trace their lineage well before this date, eg both Salm and Isenburg/Ysenburg 963, Oettingen 987, Colleredo-Mannsfeld 1031, Ortenburg 1048, Sayn 1052, Fürstenberg 1070, Leiningen 1080, etc etc.

What about the ancient royal houses?

1256 is quite late. There are plenty of noble families which can trace their lineage well before this date, eg both Salm and Isenburg/Ysenburg 963, Oettingen 987, Colleredo-Mannsfeld 1031, Ortenburg 1048, Sayn 1052, Fürstenberg 1070, Leiningen 1080, etc etc.

Great post Warren...some "bigger" families in Germany go even further ;-)

To me, the vast number of people who descend from Charlemagne through his legitimate line (Bertrada Longfoot of Laon) are one of the most ancient families. Bertrada's bloodlines are Merovingian.

It's interesting that due to Salic law (rather than mere descent) Charlemagne's descendants lose the throne (and of course, eventually the throne is abandoned), but the bloodlines still exist.

The overall number of royals descended from both legitimate and illegitimate offspring of Charlemagne is staggering, really. If there's a big Meet and Greet in the afterlife, where people can meet up with their ancestors, there's going to be a big crowd around Charlemagne.

from what i know, the Georgian House of Bagrationi is the oldest royal/noble house in Europe dating back to 545 AD..

the German House of Wettin, who is the ancestor line of the Ernestine duchies was founded about 900 AD.. the House of Habsburg was founded in 985 AD, while the House of Zähringen has ruled Baden since 962 AD.. other old royal houses includes the House of Savoy (1003 AD), House of Hohenzollern (1100 AD), House of Schamburg (1100), House of Ascania (1036), House of Lippe (1123), House of Mecklenburg (1131), House of Schwarzberg (1160), House of Wittelsbach (1180).. the oldest in western Europe is probably the House of Welf (which includes the Houses of Hanover and House of Este) which was founded somewhere during 800 AD.. Ancient German Noble Houses known as Uradels include House of Dohna (1143), House of Eltz (1157), House of Thun and Hohenstein (1187) and House of Putbus (1193)..

In France, the House of Capet was said to have been founded in 987 AD (their descendants includes the current House of Bourbon) and some French noble families such as the House of La Tour d'Auvergne (950 AD) and House of La Rochefoucauld (952 AD) while the House of Bethune (1000 AD), House of La Tremoille (1050 AD) and House of Rohan (1084) are also ancient.. The House of Grimaldi of Monaco is said to have ruled since 1160..

In England, the House of Percy is said to have been around since 1067 while the House of Spencer is said to have been descendants of the French House of Tancerville which were around since 920, though the most recent actual Spencer can be traced from 1330 while England's premiere Dukedom has been held by the House of Howard since 1484, who's most ancient title is the Earldom of Arundel which was founded in 1267.. England's most ancient title is the Baron de Ros which was created back in 1264.

In Italy, ancient families includes the House of Colonna (1099), House of Orsini (1110) and House of Doria-Pamphilj (1110).

In Spain, the oldest families are said to be those noble families created during the Iberian Crusades or Reconquista, starting with Pelagius in the Kingdom of Asturias in the early eighth century.. One such family is the House of Tagle, family of Empress Ana Maria of Mexico, who has said to be descended from King Pelayo himself back in 718, though the name was first recorded in 1237.. The family still celebrates this history in their coat of arms which includes the moto "Tagle se llamó el que la sierpre mató y con la Infanta casó"..

i think there are more though..

Here are 60 of the oldest royal/noble families in Europe.. not a complete list though as i'm very much sure there are still who are older..

1. House of Bagrationi (545)
  2. Houe of Welf (800)
  3. House of Wettin (900)
  4. House of La Tour d'Auvergne (950)
  5. House of La Rochefoucauld (952)
  6. House of Zähringen (962)
  7. House of Isenburg (963)
  8. House of Salm (963)
  9. House of Habsburg (985)
  10. House of Capet (987)
  11. House of Oettingen (987)
  12. House of Bethune (1000)
  13. House of Savoy (1003)
  14. House of Beaufort-Spontin (1005)
  15. House of Reuss (1010)
  16. House of Ascania (1036)
  17. House of Dadiani (1046)
  18. House of Ortenburg (1048)
  19. House of La Tremoille (1050)
  20. House of Sayn (1052)
  21. House of Fürstenberg (1070)
  22. House of Clermont-Tonnerre (1080)
  23. House of Leiningen (1080)
  24. House of Württemberg (1081)
  25. House of Rohan (1084)
  26. House of Percy (1096)
  27. House of Colonna (1099)
  28. House of Hohenzollern (1100)
  29. House of Orsini (1110)
  30. House of Doria-Pamphilj (1110)
  31. House of Lippe (1123)
  32. House of Mecklenburg (1131)
  33. House of Colleredo-Mannsfeld (1031)
  34. House of Hatzfeld (1138)
  35. House of Montmorency (1138)
  36. House of Dohna (1143)
  37. House of Eltz (1157)
  38. House of Grimaldi (1160)
  39. House of Schwarzberg (1160)
  40. House of Caraman-Chimay (1178)
  41. House of Wittelsbach (1180)
  42. House of Thun and Hohenstein (1187)
  43. House of Putbus (1193)
  44. House of Harrach (1195)
  45. House of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1230)
  46. House of Kinsky (1237)
  47. House of Tagle (1237)
  48. House of Windisch-Graetz (1242)
  49. House of Hamilton (1245)
  50. House of Campbell (1260)
  51. House of Hesse (1264)
  52. House of Borghese (1266)
  53. House of Ruspoli (1266)
  54. House of Mérode (1278)
  55. House of Borommeo (1300)
  56. House of Barbiano di Belgiojoso (1320)
  57. House of Lannoy (1329)
  58. House of Czartoryski (1330)
  59. House of Medinaceli (1331)
  60. House of Spencer (1333)

The House of Cavendish (the family of the Dukes of Devonshire) was started by a man called Roger de Gernon, who married the daughter of John Potton of Cavendish and took the surname Cavendish in 1324. But, he has known ancestors dating back to the Battle of Hastings in 1066.

One could say so,but on the other hand they are much older:

The House of Hessen belongs to the House of Brabant and it it its cadet line who can trace their ancestry from Counts of Meeesgau and Lommegau first mentioned in 830...

The House of Czartoryski belongs to the House of Rurik that can trace its ancestry back from King Rurik of Novgorod and Ladoga who ruled 862-879...

The House of Borromeo can trace their ancestry from Giovanni dei Vitalini called "il Prodigo"who lived at the beginning of 10th century...

The House of Merode can trace their ancestry from Warnerus de Kerpen,who is first mentioned in 1065 as Reichs-ministerialis...they later got the name of Merode because their originated from Rode near Düren in Rheinland...

The House of Ruspoli derived from Marescotti dei Bologna family that lived in 9th century...

The House of Windisch-Graetz was first mentioned in 1218 with Ritter(Knight) Wernhardus de Graeze...

The House of Waldeck descends from the Count Wittekind I von Schwallenberg,who died in 1136 and whose male grandson was first Count von Waldeck,Wittekind III who was killed in the Crusade wars in 1189...

The House of Kinsky can trace it's ancestry from 1150,although the were registered in 1237...

The House of Schwarzburg trace it's ancestry from Siger I,Count von Käfernburg who lived before 1000 and whose great-great grandson Sizzo III was first Count von Schwarzburg...

The House of Wittelsbach descended from Liutpold who died in 846...

The House of Grimaldi descends from Otto Canella,who was first mentioned as Cosul in Genova in 1133...
NOTE: This only applies to the Counts Grimaldi di Busca as the Grimaldi's of Monaco died out in 18th century...Today,Grimaldi's of Monaco belong to the House of Polignac,who is even older and can trace it's ancestry from the Viscount Armand I who lived in 860...

The House of Eltz is even older and can trace it's ancestry from Ritter Eberhardus de Eltz,who lived in 690 and was Patrician of the Town of Trier...The complete Eltz genealogy begins in 938...

The House of Dohna can trace it's ancestry from Heinrich von Rotau,first mentioned in 1127 and he was the father of the Heinrich,first Buggraf von Dohna...

The House of Lippe can trace it's ancestry first from Count Benhard von Werl,who died in 982.

The House of Rohan can trace it's ancestry first from Viscount Guethenoc de Chateau-en-Porhoet who was first mentioned in 1008...

The House of Fuerstenberg can trace it's ancestry from Count Egon I vo Urach,who died in 1050...

The House of Sayn belong to the House of Sponheim and can trace it's ancestry from Count Siegfried I who was Markraf of Hungarian Mark from 1045-1048...The House of Ortenburg belongs to the same House of Sponheim...

and so on to the older ones...

Last edited:
  1. House of Borommeo (1300)
  2. House of Barbiano di Belgiojoso (1320)
  3. House of Lannoy (1329)
  4. House of Czartoryski (1330)
  5. House of Medinaceli (1331)
  6. House of Spencer (1333)

What is most interesting is that the family of Princess Michael of Kent,the Reibnitz family is older then the Spencer family..

Common ancestor of the House of Reibnitz was Ritter Henricus de Rybnicz,first mentioned in 1288...

Last edited:
The noble Sforzas of Milan have no direct living descendants that I know of, and I know someone whose research field this is.

de Medicis are a different story.

The noble Sforzas of Milan have no direct living descendants that I know of, and I know someone whose research field this is.

Sforza family still exist as a legitimate branch of the family...

The first Duke of Milan,Francesco was illegitimate child of Muzio Atendolo Sforza,Count of Cotignola and his mistress Lucia Terzani di Marsciano...His descendants were Dukes of Milan,who were extinct in male line...

Francesco's younger half-brother Bosio,souvereign Count of Santa Fiora,who was in fact the eldest legitimate child of Muzio Atendolo Sforza,Count of Cotignola and his first wife Antonia Salimbieni di Siena and was ancestor of still existent line of the family who are Dukes of Sforza-Cesarini...

The present Head of the family is Bosio Lorenzo Francesco Maria Caterina, Duca di Sforza-Cesarini, 12.Principe di Genzano, Duca di Segni, Duca di Civitalavinia, Duca di Ginestra, Duca di Torricella who married in 1963 Lydia Lo Savio...

Last edited:
de Medicis are a different story.

True,several Medici lines still exist,Princes Medici di Ottajano still exist along with Medici di Tornaquinci,who were Marchese della Castellina and Veronese Medici Counts of Carpara and Gavardo...

The Houses of Gonzaga(Princes Gonzaga di Vescovato) and d'Este(House of Hannover) still exist...as well as the House of Visconti still exist(today as Dukes Visconti di Modrone) who are descendants of Umberto "Pico",brother of Matteo I,first ruler of Milan...

The Present Head of the Visconti family is Barnabo,8.Duca di Visconti-Modrone,4.Duca di Grazzano-Visconti born in 1930...

Not to speak about House of Grimaldi,which has only one line left and they are Italian based Counts of Poggetto,while the family that rules in Monaco are not Grimaldi,as Grimaldis of Monaco died out in 18th century with Princess Louise Hypolite when she married into Goyon de Matignon family,which ruled in Monaco until the House of Polignac which rules today...

Last edited:
Sri Lanka

Sanghamittā (Sanghmitra in Sanskrit) was the grand daughter of Emperor Bindusara and daughter of Emperor Ashoka and his wife, Empress Devi. Together with Mahinda, her brother, she entered an order of Buddhist monks. The two siblings later went to Sri Lanka to spread the teachings of Buddha at the request of King Devanampiya Tissa (250 BC – 210 BC) who was a contemporary of Ashoka (304 BC – 232 BC). At first she landed in 'Mathagal'. The village Mathagal is situated 16 km away from Jaffna (யாழ்ப்பாணம்) town, in the north of Sri Lanka, along the shores of the Indian Ocean. Buddhist Emperor Samrat Ashoka sent her to Sri Lanka together with several other nuns to start the nun-lineage of Bhikkhunis (a fully ordained female Buddhist monastic) at the request of King Tissa to ordain queen Anulā and other women of Tissa's court at Anuradhapura who desired to be ordained as nuns after Mahindra converted them to Buddhism

Hello:

where can one find a list of the successive leaders of this order?

To the best of my knowledge these accountings are found from reading of the veddic Buddhist writings off Sri Lanka. The quote was from "What the Buddha Said in Plain English". I'm not sure of the author. GMc

Most royal families have had some sort of links in Europe. May be the same in the Middle East. Should there be DNA profiling to identify the full genealogy?

My family was not one of the royals, however, the Traill family can be traced back from America and Scottland through Bishop William Trail in Blebo and Sir John de Trailli of Yeldon and Bordeaux back to Geoffrey (may include the name Gotfroid) de Trailli who was listed in the Doomsday book in 1086 as having come from France. He is supposed to have been a descendant of Mordac of Verdun (a viking raider). The earliest mention of the Traill family seems to be in the 900's. The Traill family has spread to Scottland, Ireland, Americana and South America. The Argentine Polo Open beginning 1904 was won by 3 Traill brothers and a cousin. Members of the Traill family participated in at least 6 victories in the Argentine Open including 1908 where it was again 3 Traill brothers and a Traill cousin who won, a family affair. There are references to the Trail/l family in documents all through the history of England beginning in Yelden (Yielden) 1066 with the Domesday book and the motte and bailey castle. The remains of the castle are still there. The record continues through Sir John de Traille, on to twenty first century where they are all over the world.

Last edited:
To answer that--no, it didn't end completely with Elizabeth I, because James I who followed her was her heir because his grandmother, Margaret, was the sister of Henry VIII.

Actually, Margaret was James the I's great-grandmother who was a sister of Henry VIII.

I am from the United States, and I am doing and Ancestry trip next month to Hungary. My great grandfather always said he worked for a Prince and he was from Hatzfeld, Hungary (his naturalization paperwork said Jugoslavia) and was born in 1870. The story is, the Prince sent him to the United States in 1906 to learn the customs and the language. Which Prince would he have worked for?

I am from the United States, and I am doing and Ancestry trip next month to Hungary. My great grandfather always said he worked for a Prince and he was from Hatzfeld, Hungary (his naturalization paperwork said Jugoslavia) and was born in 1870. The story is, the Prince sent him to the United States in 1906 to learn the customs and the language. Which Prince would he have worked for?

Well,this Hatzfeld is known as Jimbolia today and it now belongs to Romania...

It formerly belonged to Yugoslavia,but only from 1918 to 1924 because under the marriage treaty between Yugoslavian King Alexander I and Romanian Princess Marie it was later incorporated in Romania...

Any more informations about this Prince?

You had Hungarian Counts "Csekonics de Zsombolya et Janova" and "Zsombolya" is the Hungarian name for Jimbolia or Hatzfeld as you say...

This was their Castle in Hatzfeld,so it could be that these Counts sent your grandfather to the United States in 1906 to learn the customs and the language...

And many people do make mistakes when they use someones title...for some people,it's the same if someone is actually a Baron,Count or Prince...

Last edited:
Here are 60 of the oldest royal/noble families in Europe.. not a complete list though as i'm very much sure there are still who are older..

1. House of Bagrationi (545)
  2. Houe of Welf (800)
  3. House of Wettin (900)
  4. House of La Tour d'Auvergne (950)
  5. House of La Rochefoucauld (952)
  6. House of Zähringen (962)
  7. House of Isenburg (963)
  8. House of Salm (963)
  9. House of Habsburg (985)
  10. House of Capet (987)
  11. House of Oettingen (987)
  12. House of Bethune (1000)
  13. House of Savoy (1003)
  14. House of Beaufort-Spontin (1005)
  15. House of Reuss (1010)
  16. House of Ascania (1036)
  17. House of Dadiani (1046)
  18. House of Ortenburg (1048)
  19. House of La Tremoille (1050)
  20. House of Sayn (1052)
  21. House of Fürstenberg (1070)
  22. House of Clermont-Tonnerre (1080)
  23. House of Leiningen (1080)
  24. House of Württemberg (1081)
  25. House of Rohan (1084)
  26. House of Percy (1096)
  27. House of Colonna (1099)
  28. House of Hohenzollern (1100)
  29. House of Orsini (1110)
  30. House of Doria-Pamphilj (1110)
  31. House of Lippe (1123)
  32. House of Mecklenburg (1131)
  33. House of Colleredo-Mannsfeld (1031)
  34. House of Hatzfeld (1138)
  35. House of Montmorency (1138)
  36. House of Dohna (1143)
  37. House of Eltz (1157)
  38. House of Grimaldi (1160)
  39. House of Schwarzberg (1160)
  40. House of Caraman-Chimay (1178)
  41. House of Wittelsbach (1180)
  42. House of Thun and Hohenstein (1187)
  43. House of Putbus (1193)
  44. House of Harrach (1195)
  45. House of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1230)
  46. House of Kinsky (1237)
  47. House of Tagle (1237)
  48. House of Windisch-Graetz (1242)
  49. House of Hamilton (1245)
  50. House of Campbell (1260)
  51. House of Hesse (1264)
  52. House of Borghese (1266)
  53. House of Ruspoli (1266)
  54. House of Mérode (1278)
  55. House of Borommeo (1300)
  56. House of Barbiano di Belgiojoso (1320)
  57. House of Lannoy (1329)
  58. House of Czartoryski (1330)
  59. House of Medinaceli (1331)
  60. House of Spencer (1333)

In Germany,even some untitled noble families are older than many families mentioned in this list...For example,the von Lattorff family,to which Princess Tatjana von und zu Liechtenstein has been married into was first mentioned in 1144 due to Ritter Conradus de Lattorff...

The Szechenyi were an old and influential noble family of Hungary.
Thomas Szechenyi (Szecsenyi) in 1320 was appointed to the Master of the Queen's Treasury.
In 1342 he was appointed to the office of Master of the King's Treasury.

The oldest Swedish noble family still existing is Dag och Natt, the first known member was Nils Sigridsson, the first mentioning of him is from May 11, 1280.

Other Swedish nobles still existing families known from the 13th and early 14th centuries are Bielke (1289), Bonde (1310), Ribbing (1295), Tott/Thott (1288), Trolle (pre 1367).

Last edited:
Most Ancient Royal Family in all of the United Kingdom

It seems impossible to prove for certainy which is the oldest dynasty, due to the lack of written history and antiquity. It also depends on which written documents are to be BELIEVED, which is entirely subjective, regardless of what "historians" [there is very little consensus among historians] believe. They are still interpreting it according to their limited scope, which is, at best, journalism.

With that in mind, the Lebor Gabel Erenn, an ancient document used to establish lineage to ancient bloodlines, when combined with the Chronicle of the Picts, points to a bloodline that supposedly goes back all the way to Adam and Eve. I am personally not inclined to believe that directly, however, the more factual Chronicle of the Picts indicates a kingdom and a lineage, of which I can trace my origins, that arose around 2680 BC, descendants of Partholon.

Also, the oldest current noble family in the UK is Erskine. The name comes from a gaelic phrase, ar an sgain (upon the knife). Through matrilineal descent (it was a matrilineal line, even from antiquity), the Erskines are direct descendants one of the chiefs of one of the 7 founding tribes of Scotland, the Picts or Cruithne. They were called the Cruithne, after one of their first Kings, by the Gaels. Both Pict and Cruithne meant "painted" or "tattooed" people, due to the mysterious markings on their skin. Cruithne had 7 sons, who ruled the 7 tribes, and the land was named for these 7 sons. The region of Ce was renamed Mar, and so the ancient chiefs, called Mormaers, became the Mormaers of Mar. Through this, I am a direct descendant of Partholon, himself. According to the Lebor Gabal Erenn, The Book of the Taking of Ireland, Partholon was a descendant of Noah, and through him Adam.

There are a lot of pieces of the story missing, but this line has never ended, and I am living proof. So is the Countess of Mar and the current Earl (also means chief) of Mar.

It seems they are certainly the oldest surviving line, at least in the UK. But all we have is history, and the interpretation of history, which as mentioned is little more than journalism. :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom