Noble and Royal Genealogical websites and links

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Please post interesting/useful links regarding royal genealogy here.

Here is a link that I found years ago when I first started on the web
Royal and Noble Genealogical Data on the Web

I would surf this website for hours when I first found it. Some aspects of it do need to be updated, but its still interesting.

Here are some more sites:

http://www.angelfire.com/in/heinbruins/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/henrivanoene/index.html
http://www.royalgenealogy.com/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/genealogy_nl/nassau/nassau.htm & http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/gennl.htm

Royal Genealogy News Articles

Here is a thread to put interesting articles about Royal Genealogy.

But please remember The Royal Forums rules & guidelines on posting articles, specifically this post.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]British genealogists discover royal roots for all [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] (AP)
Updated: 2006-07-02 09:46

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Actress Brooke Shields has a pretty impressive pedigree, hanging from her family tree are Catherine de Medici and Lucrezia Borgia, Charlemagne and El Cid...........
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2006-07/02/content_631008.htm
[/FONT]

That is a very interesting article, thankyou for posting it.

Lady Jennifer said:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]British genealogists discover royal roots for all [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif] (AP)
Updated: 2006-07-02 09:46

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Actress Brooke Shields has a pretty impressive pedigree, hanging from her family tree are Catherine de Medici and Lucrezia Borgia, Charlemagne and El Cid...........
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2006-07/02/content_631008.htm
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Mark Humphrys, who is quoted in the above article, has a very interesting website:

Royal Descents of Famous People
http://humphrysfamilytree.com/famous.descents.html
[/FONT]

This researcher, T.F. Boettger, has one of the best sites around related to Imperial, Royal, Princely and Aristocratic genealogy. It took me some time to find the updated link because he changed his address to another place. But I finally found his new and improved sites divided by country:

Genealogies in the Collection of T.F. Boettger listed by country

Bonus links: This other section of his site, in beautiful flash animation, has the following sub-sites for those curious Royal Forum minds:

The Era of Fabergé

The Russian Imperial Award System (a recomended must read book)

Titles of Nobility and the Usurpation of Titles : includes his work on titles and nobility in Poland past and present as well as the usurpers of those titles, titles in the countries that controlled Poland from 18-20th Century and titles in the Napoleonic era. On the bottom of that particular link he discusses Historical Notes on the Concession of Titles, that section will help answer many questions from Royal Forum members (myself included) on the process required for those titles. Enjoy the reading!
an interesting quote on the above link is this one:

...In 1473 (and not in 1476), Rafal Leszczyński obtained from Emperor Frederick III the title of count. This title was conferred on "the entire family". This fact must be noted as contrary to English and Spanish usage; in Poland, titles were always borne by females, by the wives and descendants of both sexes...

Joyaux ayant composé l’écrin de la Princesse Lobanoff de Rostoff

ps. check out his list of names of contributors to his site, is quite impressive as well as his published works list

ps. this is my post # 998, two more to hit the millenium mark! ;)

Last edited:
I could waste a lot of time looking throught these sites, thanks for sharing.

crisscross1 said:
I could waste a lot of time looking throught these sites, thanks for sharing.

I love this genealogy sub forum too. The sites posted here are heavy weights on royal information, you could spent days reading and learning not just on the family links but also on all the royal system and how it worked through out the centuries.

I just tried Robert Warholm's site and it's working now.:flowers:

Royal Ged database

A new royal ged file is being updated.

The new file is based on the royal92.ged database of European royal family. It will be updated to 31 December 2007.

Including:
* more relatives such as spouses and parents
* extended descendant tree of Queen Victoria of Great Britain
* royal lineages of european royalty where directly related to the main tree
* full dates where found with day, month, and year
* places of birth, marriage, death where found
* full names
* urls to wikipedia article for details of the relative

Wikipedia has been chosen for stability of urls, ease of searching, readbility, biography, illustrations such as coats of arms, citation of sources where given, citation of external links (eg to royal family websites), and cross references to other relatives.

The ged file can be imported into Family Historian, Family Tree Maker, and any genealogical software able to import .ged files

It is a fascinating project and I have learnt much about the history of European royal families.

As the original 1992 file contains records of over 3000 relatives, the project is still underway, but should be completed in the near future.

In due course, the new file shall be released into the public domain.

Sorry for the late reply. I am slowly updating the entries. So far I have done all the descendants of King Edward VII, and almost done the descendants of Queen Victoria. then I will gradually go up the English royal tree, then the other trees.

It's a mammoth task Kevin, I hope it's going smoothly. :flowers:

I heard what they said about everybody being descended from royalty, but even if it's true Brooke still has a more impressive pedigree than the average person, because of how recent her relation is, and because how much more she has. One article said "So what is it about Brooke? Well nothing at least genealogically." And that is clearly untrue.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](AP)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Updated: 2006-07-02 09:46[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Actress Brooke Shields has a pretty impressive pedigree, hanging from her family tree are Catherine de Medici and Lucrezia Borgia, Charlemagne and El Cid...........[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]British genealogists discover royal roots for all[/FONT]

Useful On-Line Data Sources

I thought we might help each other out here and post on-line sources that we have found helpful.

I've been writing a biography of a member of a US presidential family who became a published author after marrying into Russian aristocracy. I found the following sources invaluable:

www.lexis-nexis.com for researching articles in mainstream publications

www.ancestry.com which has passenger manifests which are very useful in tracing journeys. Best information is for US travel of less than reigning monarchs.

www.ebay.com for reference or research books, cheaply. Books are covered extensively in another thread, but I have found ebay to be a terrific source. Books that originally went for hundreds of dollars (like one I bought last week) can be had for $20; books that were originally under $50 go for $5.00 or less. [Plus I picked up a pair of Chanel shoes for $300 (original retail $899) so it's not always about royalty.] For me, it's been worthwhile because when I'm doing research, I scribble all over my books: bend pages, highlight, do margin notes. Having more than one copy purchased cheaply is wonderful.

I post these three just to sort of prime the well. For someone researching an individual, a family or an event for publication, there are a myriad of sources.

I'd like to invite others who have done research and can "vouch for" sources that they found particularly useful to keep adding here, as will I. Some sources are better than others in some area of research, while other sources cover different areas better. It would be great to know which are which.

Come on in, everyone, the water is fine.......

Last edited:
Here is a link that I found years ago when I first started on the web
Royal and Noble Genealogical Data on the Web

I would surf this website for hours when I first found it. Some aspects of it do need to be updated, but its still interesting.

Here are some more sites:

Hein's Royal Genealogy Page
Henri van Oene's Royal Genealogies Page
http://www.royalgenealogy.com/
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/genealogy_nl/nassau/nassau.htm & http://www.xs4all.nl/~kvenjb/gennl.htm

Hein Bruins site is the best,if it isn't in there,it never existed,just fabulous work!!:)

The latest additions being the geneology on Tjalling ten Cate,husband of HRH Princess Margarita,
and on Eva Prinz,wife of Bernardo Guillermo,grandson to Queen Juliana.

Last edited:
Descendents of The Electress Sophia.

I see in an earlier post mention of a gedcom file being produced but no further details.

I have been working on producing a gedcom file for the descendants of the Electress Sophia who are eligible to inherit the British Throne.

Working in a similar fashion to above I started with Victoria's descendants and the backwards.

Having completed the task and confirmed Karin Vogel as last in line I'm now trying to add all the Illigitimate lines as well.

My interest is in the statistics of her descendants i.e how many there are in each generation. the longest lived, the most children, the number of twins and triplets etc. So including the Illigitimate lines is essential.

One thing that is apparent is how much more difficult it is to get details of current living descendants. Particularly from female lines of descent.

Has anyone else ever managed to complete this task?

Death of William Addams Reitwiesner, Genealogist

Just noticed on the WARGS home page that William Addams Reitwiesner died at Washington, D.C., 12 November 2010.

For any body who has researched the descendants of the Electress Sophia his pages have been a valuable tool.

many thanks for all your wonderful work Willam and may you rest in peace

I'd just discovered WARGS site only three months before Mr.Reitwiesner died. What a tremendous loss. Yes, may he rest in peace.:sad:

-> wargs.com homepage: http://www.wargs.com/

Descendants of pre-1918 connections:

Click here to see the descendants of Vittoria Guerrieri (1848-1905).
Click here to see the descendants of Gräfin Amalie von Hügel, geb. Gräfin von Hohenstein (1838-1893).
Click here to see the descendants of Pauline von Kirbach (1854-1914).
Click here to see the descendants of Karl, Prinz von Schwarzburg-Sondershausen (1772-1842).
Click here to see the descendants of Ludwig Hz in Bayern (1831-1920).
Click here to see the descendants of Bonnie Prince Charlie (1720-1788).
Click here to see the descendants of Friederike, Freiin v Pawel-Rammingen (1848-1926).
Click here to see the descendants of Alexander, Graf von Pölzig (1804-1884).
Click here to see the descendants of William, Duke of Cumberland (1721-1765).
Click here to see the descendants of Emmanuel, Graf von Mensdorff-Pouilly (1777-1852).
Click here to see the descendants of Friedrich, Fürst von Noer (1800-1865).
Click here to see the descendants of George I, King of Great Britain (1660-1727).
Click here to see the descendants of Marie, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1878-1948).
Click here to see the descendants of Archduke Ernst (1824-1899).
Click here to see some of the descendants of Archduchess Luise, Crown Princess of Saxony (1870-1947).
Click here to see the descendants of Princess Elvira de Bourbon (1871-1929).
Click here to see the descendants of Princess Alicia de Bourbon (1876-1975).
Click here to see some of the descendants of Landgrave Georg Wilhelm von Hessen-Darmstadt (1722-1782).
Click here to see some of the descendants of Lilly Stockhammer (1891-1952).
Click here to see the descendants of greve Carl Axel Löwenhielm (1770-1861).

Descendants of post-1918 connections:

Click here to see the descendants of Zizi Lambrino (1898-1953).
Click here to see the descendants of Alexander Principe della Torre e Tasso (1881-1937).

Others

Click here to see the ancestry of Princess Anna Cecilia of Bourbon-Sicily (b. 1971).
Click here to see the ancestry of Princess Tamara Czartoryska (b. 1978).
Click here to see the ancestry of Countess Ilka zu Ortenburg (b. 1942).
Click here to see the ancestry of Cardinal Christoph Schönborn (b. 1945).

I have a question if you become a genealogist can you yourself become a royal genealogist and just how do you become a royal historian because both areas intrigue me, just that these are not offered in school.

What happened to the Geneology pages at http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bi

Have they finally been pulled down ? I know they hadn't been updated since 2002 or 2003, but still they were vast and yes had some mistakes but were mostly right and easier to maneuver around than others.

When did they come down ? They were working as of last summer (2011) I know because I was working with them then.

http://www8.informatik.uni-erlangen.de/cgi-bin/stoyan/wwp/LANG=engl/?e1

One does appreciate the register building up here of the result of "hard work" by others...Maybe it is also nice to mention Courtesy Hein Bruins instead of flying with work done by others only.He is the one with the most fantastic Geneology page you have this information from,and I want to see him credited for that......,as is custom everywhere,so here it is.Thank you.And please do mention him in relation to the geneology link you post.He owns it,and deserves it as he provides us with the most meticulous list and geneology page there is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst it's fair to thank the writer of the website, it's also extremely helpful of Biri to continually post the news rather than leave it to us to find. Credit where credit is due and Biri deserves some. on all of the posts Biri writes they list the source, not claiming it for themselves.
Every time a picture is posted for a royals current events, you don't thank the photographer every single time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom