New Most Recent Common Ancestor of Reigning European Monarchs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigLenny

Gentry
City
Bandung
Country
Indonesia
According to Wikipedia, the most recent common ancestor of all reigning European monarchs is now Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt. I checked to see how they trace descent from him, and this is how it goes:

United Kingdom
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark->Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh->King Charles III
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Louis of Battenberg, 1st Marquess of Milford Haven->Princess Alice of Battenberg, Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark->Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh->King Charles III
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Prince Charles of Hesse and by Rhine->Grand Duke Louis IV of Hesse->Princess Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine, Marchioness of Milford Haven->Princess Alice of Battenberg, Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark->Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh->King Charles III

Spain
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Henry of Battenberg->Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain->Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona->King Juan Carlos I->King Felipe VI
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Wilhelmine of Baden, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Henry of Battenberg->Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain->Infante Juan, Count of Barcelona->King Juan Carlos I->King Felipe VI
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->King Constantine I of Greece->King Paul of Greece->Sofía of Greece and Denmark, Queen of Spain->King Felipe VI
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Greece->King Paul of Greece->Sofía of Greece and Denmark, Queen of Spain->King Felipe VI
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Wilhelm II, German Emperor->Victoria Louise of Prussia, Duchess consort of Brunswick->Frederica of Hanover, Queen of Greece->Sofía of Greece and Denmark, Queen of Spain->King Felipe VI

Netherlands
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->King William II->King William II->Queen Wilhelmina->Queen Juliana->Queen Beatrix->King Willem-Alexander

Belgium
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Josephine of Baden, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen->Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Countess of Flanders->King Albert I->King Leopold III->King Albert II->King Philippe
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, Duchess of Västergötland->Astrid of Sweden, Queen of the Belgians->King Albert II->King Philippe

Sweden
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Frederica of Baden, Queen of Sweden->Sophie of Sweden, Grand Duchess of Baden->Grand Duke Frederick I of Baden->Victoria of Baden, Queen of Sweden->King Gustaf VI Adolf->Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten->King Carl XVI Gustaf

Norway
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->King Haakon VII (né Prince Carl of Denmark)->King Olav V->King Harald V
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, Duchess of Västergötland->Märtha of Sweden, Crown Princess of Norway->King Harald V

Denmark
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->King Christian X->King Frederick IX->Queen Margrethe II
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Frederica of Baden, Queen of Sweden->Sophie of Sweden, Grand Duchess of Baden->Grand Duke Frederick I of Baden->Victoria of Baden, Queen of Sweden->King Gustaf VI Adolf->Ingrid of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->Queen Margrethe II

Luxembourg
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt, Landgravine consort of Hesse-Homburg->Princess Amalie of Hesse-Homburg, Hereditary Princess of Anhalt-Dessau->Prince Frederick Augustus of Anhalt-Dessau->Adelheid-Marie of Anhalt-Dessau, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg->Grand Duke William IV->Grand Duchess Charlotte->Grand Duke Jean->Grand Duke Henri
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Josephine of Baden, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen->Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Countess of Flanders->King Albert I of Belgium->King Leopold III of Belgium->Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg->Grand Duke Henri
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, Duchess of Västergötland->Astrid of Sweden, Queen of the Belgians->Josephine-Charlotte of Belgium, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg->Grand Duke Henri

Liechtenstein
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess Franz Karl of Austria->Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria->Elisabeth Amalie of Austria, Princess Elisabeth of Liechtenstein->Franz Joseph II, Prince of Liechtenstein->Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein

Monaco
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Marie Amelie of Baden, Duchess of Hamilton and Brandon->Lady Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton, Hereditary Princess of Monaco->Louis II, Prince of Monaco->Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois->Rainier III, Prince of Monaco->Albert II, Prince of Monaco

Just for fun, I'm also including some non-reigning royals (excluding the subnational German royals).

Greece
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->King Constantine I->King Paul->King Constantine II
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Greece->King Paul->King Constantine II
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Wilhelm II, German Emperor->Victoria Louise of Prussia, Duchess consort of Brunswick->Frederica of Hanover, Queen of Greece->King Constantine II
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->Wilhelmine of Prussia, Queen of the Netherlands->Prince Frederick of the Netherlands->Louise of the Netherlands, Queen of Sweden and Norway->Louise of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->King Christian X->King Frederick IX->Anne-Marie of Denmark, Queen of Greece
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Frederica of Baden, Queen of Sweden->Sophie of Sweden, Grand Duchess of Baden->Grand Duke Frederick I of Baden->Victoria of Baden, Queen of Sweden->King Gustaf VI Adolf->Ingrid of Sweden, Queen of Denmark->Anne-Marie of Denmark, Queen of Greece

Romania
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Josephine of Baden, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen->Leopold, Prince of Hohenzollern->King Ferdinand I->King Carol II->King Michael I->Crown Princess Margareta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania->King Carol II->King Michael I->Crown Princess Margareta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Wilhelmine of Baden, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania->King Carol II->King Michael I->Crown Princess Margareta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->King Constantine I of Greece->Helen of Greece and Denmark, Queen Mother of Romania->King Michael I->Crown Princess Margareta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Greece->Helen of Greece and Denmark, Queen Mother of Romania->King Michael I->Crown Princess Margareta

Serbia
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Josephine of Baden, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen->Leopold, Prince of Hohenzollern->King Ferdinand I of Romania->Maria of Romania, Queen of Yugoslavia->King Peter II->Crown Prince Alexander
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania->Maria of Romania, Queen of Yugoslavia->King Peter II->Crown Prince Alexander
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Wilhelmine of Baden, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Marie of Edinburgh, Queen of Romania->Maria of Romania, Queen of Yugoslavia->King Peter II->Crown Prince Alexander
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->King Constantine I of Greece->King Alexander of Greece->Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, Queen of Yugoslavia->Crown Prince Alexander
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Greece->King Alexander of Greece->Alexandra of Greece and Denmark, Queen of Yugoslavia->Crown Prince Alexander

Germany (Prussia)
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Wilhelm II, German Emperor->Wilhelm, German Crown Prince->Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia->Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia->Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Grand Duchess Victoria Feodorovna of Russia->Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia, Princess of Prussia->Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia->Georg Friedrich, Prince of Prussia

Russia
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna (née Princess Marie of Hesse)->Maria Alexandrovna of Russia, Duchess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha->Victoria Melita of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Grand Duchess Victoria Feodorovna of Russia->Grand Duke Vladimir Kirillovich of Russia->Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Wilhelm II, German Emperor->Prince Joachim of Prussia->Prince Karl Franz of Prussia->Prince Franz Wilhelm of Prussia (ex-husband of Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna)

Italy (Savoy)
Main
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Grand Duke Charles of Baden->Josephine of Baden, Princess of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen->Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, Countess of Flanders->King Albert I of Belgium->Marie-José of Belgium, Queen of Italy->Vittorio Emanuele, Prince of Naples

Aosta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->King Constantine I of Greece->Irene of Greece and Denmark, Duchess of Aosta->Prince Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta->Prince Aimone, 6th Duke of Aosta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->William I, German Emperor->Frederick III, German Emperor->Sophia of Prussia, Queen of Greece->Irene of Greece and Denmark, Duchess of Aosta->Prince Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta->Prince Aimone, 6th Duke of Aosta
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Frederica Louisa of Hesse-Darmstadt, Queen of Prussia->King Frederick William III of Prussia->Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna (née Princess Charlotte of Prussia)->Grand Duke Konstantin Nikolayevich of Russia->Olga Constantinovna of Russia, Queen of Greece->Prince Christopher of Greece and Denmark->Prince Michael of Greece and Denmark->Olga of Greece, Duchess of Aosta

Continuing from my previous post:

France
Legitimists
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Grand Duke Louis I of Hesse->Grand Duke Louis II of Hesse->Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Henry of Battenberg->Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain->Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia->Alfonso, Duke of Anjou and Cádiz->Louis Alphonse de Bourbon, Duke of Anjou and Bourbon
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Wilhelmine of Baden, Grand Duchess of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine->Prince Henry of Battenberg->Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg, Queen of Spain->Infante Jaime, Duke of Segovia->Alfonso, Duke of Anjou and Cádiz->Louis Alphonse de Bourbon, Duke of Anjou and Bourbon

Orleanists
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess Franz Karl of Austria->Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria->Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria, Duchess Albrecht of Württemberg->Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg->Marie Therese of Württemberg, Duchess of Montpensier->Jean, Count of Paris

Bonapartists
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess Franz Karl of Austria->Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria->Archduke Otto Franz of Austria->Emperor Charles I of Austria->Robert, Archduke of Austria-Este->Archduchess Maria Beatrice of Austria-Este, Countess von und zu Arco-Zinneberg->Olympia von und zu Arco-Zinneberg, Princess Napoléon (wife of Jean-Christophe, Prince Napoléon)

Austria-Hungary
  • Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Sophie of Bavaria, Archduchess Franz Karl->Archduke Karl Ludwig->Archduke Otto Franz->Emperor Charles I->Crown Prince Otto->Karl von Habsburg

Very interesting. I didn't know that all European monarchs have this common ancestor.
Doesn't the Duke of Bragança (head of the Portuguese royal house) have this ancestor?
And King Simeon of Bulgaria?

Last edited:
Very interesting. I didn't know that all European monarchs have this common ancestor.
Doesn't the Duke of Bragança (head of the Portuguese royal house) have this ancestor?
And King Simeon of Bulgaria?
Neither the Duke of Bragança nor King Simeon of Bulgaria are descendants. There should be plenty of German subnational royals descended from him, however. I didn't include them because that would be too much.

Neither the Duke of Bragança nor King Simeon of Bulgaria are descendants. There should be plenty of German subnational royals descended from him, however. I didn't include them because that would be too much.

Simeon is also a descendant:

Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Amalie Auguste of Bavaria, Queen of Saxony->Elisabeth of Saxony, Duchess of Genoa->Margherita of Savoy, Queen of Italy->King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy->Giovanna of Savoy, Queen of Bulgaria->Simeon II

Simeon is also a descendant:

Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt->Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt, Hereditary Princess of Baden->Caroline of Baden, Queen of Bavaria->Amalie Auguste of Bavaria, Queen of Saxony->Elisabeth of Saxony, Duchess of Genoa->Margherita of Savoy, Queen of Italy->King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy->Giovanna of Savoy, Queen of Bulgaria->Simeon II
I see. Man, I must've missed so many.:lol:

Wikipedia tend to give a wrong historical information, personally I would not rely on Wikipedia myself.

Denmark, or Queen Margrethe, descends from him at least five additional ways. She descends from five of Frederick William III of Prussia's children.

Wikipedia depends on what page you see, information on royals, history or celebrities often misses a lot of data but other sections I check involving science seem to be curated and maintained often. Also noticeable is when you change the language in Wikipedia you get more data than in the English version of the page. For example, data on royals, aristocrats, genealogy etc. is extensive because is uploaded by their native speakers. And all you have to do is make the web browser auto translate the page to get details not available in English.

Some additions

Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, one of Louis IX of Hesse-Darmstadt's great granddaughters married the Catholic Orleanist pretender. She is an ancestor of some Catholic royal families, i.e. Spain, Savoy-Aosta, Brazil and Bourbon Two Sicilies.

Brazil
Petropolis branch
Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt -> Louise Auguste of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Caroline Louise of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin ->Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Duchess of Orléans -> Prince Philippe, Count of Paris -> Louise of Orléans -> Esperanza of Bourbon-Two Sicilies -> Prince Pedro Carlos of Orléans-Braganza.

Italy (Two Sicilies)
Calabria Branch
Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt -> Louise Auguste of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Caroline Louise of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin -> Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Duchess of Orléans -> Prince Philippe, Count of Paris -> Isabelle of Orléans, Duchess of Guise -> Henri of Orléans, Count of Paris -> Anne of Orléans, Duchess of Calabria -> Pedro of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Duke of Calabria.

Spain
Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt -> Louise Auguste of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Caroline Louise of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin -> Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Duchess of Orléans -> Prince Philippe, Count of Paris -> Louise of Orléans -> Mercedes of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Countess of Barcelona -> King Juan Carlos of Spain -> King Felipe VI of Spain

Italy
Savoy-Aosta
Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt -> Louise Auguste of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Caroline Louise of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin -> Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Duchess of Orléans -> Prince Philippe, Count of Paris -> Hélène of Orléans, Duchess of Aosta -> Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta -> Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta -> Prince Aimone, Duke of Aosta

France
Orleanist
Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt -> Louise Auguste of Hesse-Darmstadt, Grand Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach -> Caroline Louise of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, Hereditary Grand Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin ->Helene of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Duchess of Orléans -> Prince Philippe, Count of Paris -> Isabelle of Orléans, Duchess of Guise -> Henri of Orléans, Count of Paris -> Henri of Orléans, Count of Paris -> Jean of Orléans, Count of Paris

From World War II to 2022, Friso and his wife, Marie Louise, were the most recent common ancestors of all then-reigning European monarchs. As of 2023, the most recent common ancestors of all currently-reigning European monarchs are Louis IX, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt and his wife Countess Palatine Caroline of Zweibrücken.

22537342_8czwr.png

Last edited:
Really interesting posts, thanks for sharing.

It's interesting how one death shifts everything.

Elizabeth II wasn't descended from Louis IX but her husband Philip was. So Charles ascending the throne changes the whole common ancestor.

The previous change to Prince Friso occurred due to a succession change in Lichtenstein in 1938. Franz I was not a descendent of Friso, but his great-nephew and eventual successor Franz Joseph II was through his mother.

Who was previous most recent ancestor of all European monarchs before prince Friso?

Louis IX can anyway keep his title for while since royals don'tanymore intermarry at least not very often.

This is pretty much interesting. The shift from Friso to Louis.

This is fascinating. I didn't know these things could shift, though when thinking about it, it makes sense.

Very interesting post! Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

Back
Top Bottom