Most Monarchs Among Parents and Grandparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy T

Nobility
City
Paris
Country
France
Since the conquest, only 8 English-Great British Monarchs - & 6 Scottish-Great British Monarchs - were children of a monarch and grandchildren of (at least) two monarchs:

United Kingdom
1) George V, son of Edward VII & Alexandra of Denmark, grandson of Victoria & Christian IX of Denmark.

Kings of England & Scotland
2) & 3) James II & Charles II, sons of Charles I of England & Scotland, grandsons of James VI & I and Henri IV of France
4) Charles I, son of James VI & I, grandson of Mary Queen of Scots & Frederick II of Denmark.

Monarchs of England
5) Mary I of England, daughter of Henry VIII & Catherine of Aragon, granddaughter of Henry VII and Isabel I of Castille & Ferdinand II of Aragon. Mary I is the only monarch on the list who can number 4 anointed monarchs among her parents & grandparents.

6) Henry VI, son of Henry V and Catherine de Valois and grandson of Henry IV & Charles VI of France
7) Edward III, son of Edward II & Isabelle of France, grandson of Edward I & Philippe IV of France
8) Edward II, son of Edward I and Eleanor of Castille, grandson of Henry III & Ferdinand II of Castille.

Disputed
Empress Matilda was daughter of Henry I & Matilda of Scotland and granddaughter of William I & Malcolm III of Scotland.

Monarchs of Scotland
5) James V, son of James IV and Margaret Tudor, grandson of
James III & Henry VII of England
6) James IV, son of James III and Margaret of Denmark, grandson of James II & Christian I of Denmark

Disputed
Margaret, the Maid of Norway, daughter of Eric II of Norway & Margaret of Scotland, granddaughter of Magnus VI of Norway & Alexander III of Scotland

Harald V
1 monarch as parent (Olav V of Norway)
2 monarchs as grandparents (Haakon VII of Norway and Edward VII of Great-Britain)

Carl Gustaf
No monarch as parent
1 monarch as grandparent (Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden)

Margrethe II
1 monarch as parent (Frederik IX of Denmark)
1 monarch as grandparent (Christian X of Denmark)

Willem-Alexander
1 monarch as parent (Beatrix of the Netherlands)
1 monarch as grandparent (Juliana of the Netherlands)

Philippe
1 monarch as parent (Albert II of the Belgians)
1 monarch as grandparent (Leopold III of the Belgians)

Henri
1 monarch as parent (Jean of Luxembourg)
2 monarchs as grandparent (Charlotte of Luxembourg, Leopold III of the Belgians)

Felipe
1 monarch as parent (Juan Carlos of Spain)
1 monarch as grandparent (Paul of the Hellenes)

Elizabeth II
1 monarch as parent (George VI of Great-Britain)
1 monarch as grandparent (George V of Great-Britain)

Harald V
2 monarchs as grandparents (Haakon VII of Norway and Edward VII of Great-Britain)

Carl Gustaf
No monarch as parent
1 monarch as grandparent (Gustaf VI Adolf of Sweden)

Margrethe II

Willem-Alexander
1 monarch as parent (Beatrix of the Netherlands)
1 monarch as grandparent (Juliana of the Netherlands)

Philippe
1 monarch as parent (Albert II of the Belgians)
1 monarch as grandparent (Leopold III of the Belgians)

Henri
1 monarch as parent (Jean of Luxembourg)
2 monarchs as grandparent (Charlotte of Luxembourg, Leopold III of the Belgians)

Felipe
1 monarch as parent (Juan Carlos of Spain)
1 monarch as grandparent (Paul of the Hellenes)

Elizabeth II
1 monarch as parent (George VI of Great-Britain)
1 monarch as grandparent (George V of Great-Britain)
Carl XVI Gustav has two monarchs as grandparents since his paternal grandfather Carl Eduard of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha reigned as Duke between 1900-1918.

Carl XVI Gustav has two monarchs as grandparents since his paternal grandfather Carl Eduard of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha reigned as Duke between 1900-1918.

Yes, you are right. In reality the Dukedom of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was completely usurped by the Deutsches Reich but officially the Duke still was a "monarch" until 1918.

Yes, you are right. In reality the Dukedom of Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha was completely usurped by the Deutsches Reich but officially the Duke still was a "monarch" until 1918.
It was a very strange system. Had the monarchies not fallen in 1918 one wonders for how long the system with "cadet monarchs" would have lasted?

...were children of a monarch and grandchildren of (at least) two monarchs...

out of curiousity: are there people with more than one monarch as parent or more than two monarchs as grandparent? In theory this would mean that in a (grand)parental couple one spouse was monarch of one and the other of another monarchy?

King Charles II (the son of Charles I) was the grandson of two monarchs, James I and IV of England and Scotland in the paternal line and King Henry IV of France, as his mother Henrietta Maria was Henry's youngest daughter.

Charles V

Parents:
- Philip I of Castile
- Juana I of Castile

Grandparents:
- Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor
- Mary Duchess of Burgundy
- Ferdinand V of Aragon
- Isabel I of Castille

Margrethe II
Actually Queen Margrethe II has 2 monarchs as grandfathers since her mother was the daughter of King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden.

Last edited:
Actually Queen Margrethe II has 2 monarchs as prandfathers since her mother was the daughter of King Gustav VI Adolf of Sweden.

Yes you are right, I thought at Carl XVI Gustaf's father who was never King, but Queen Ingrid was his aunt, so indeed a daughter of Carl Gustaf's (and Margrethe's) grandfather.

So King Harald, Queen Margrethe and Prince Henri are the ones with three monarchs in two degrees of consanguity.

That does not make them really more royal, after all Felipe can not help that his father was denied the crown under Franco and Carl XVI Gustaf can not help that his father died prematurely.

Harald V

Edward VII. is the great-grandfather of Harald V. not his grandfather.
His maternal grandfather was Prince Carl of Sweden.

out of curiousity: are there people with more than one monarch as parent or more than two monarchs as grandparent? In theory this would mean that in a (grand)parental couple one spouse was monarch of one and the other of another monarchy?

Not very common. There aren't too many co-monarchs or couples who were both monarchs of different countries. And many of whom that were (Philip and Mary Tudor, William and Mary) had no children. But there are examples.

Mary Tudor herself of course was one. Three of her grandparents were monarchs. Henry VII of England, Isabella of Castile and Ferdinand of Aragon.

Emperor Charles V, her cousin and his siblings. Their mother Joanna was queen of Castile and Aragon, their father was Philip was Duke of Burgundy. Their maternal grandparents of course the same as Mary Tudor. Paternal grandfather was Holy Roman emperor Maximillian I.

King John, Richard I and their siblings were. Their father was Henry II of course. Their mother was Eleanor of Aquitane. Eleanor was Duchess of Aquitane in her own right. John's son Henry III had Henry II of England, Eleanor of Aquitane, and Aymer, Count of Angouleme (Angeloume didn't become part of the French crown until 1300's, was independent in his time).

Francis II, Holy Roman Emperor (and siblings). His father was Leopold II, Hol Roman emperor. His mother was Maria Luisa of Spain. His maternal grandfather was Charles III of Spain. His paternal grandparents were Maria Theresa, the only female head of the Hapsburg empire and her husband Francis who was not only co-emperor but Duke of Loraine in his own right.

I can think of two others:
Tsar Alexander I of Russia, who was son of Tsar Paul I and grandson of three monarchs: Peter III and Catherine II of Russia, plus reigning Duke Friedrich II Eugen of Wurttemberg.
Also, there's Emperor Francis I of Austria, son of Leopold II Holy Roman Emperor and grandson of three monarchs: Francis I Holy Roman Emperor & Maria Theresa of Austria, and Charles III of Spain.

On that same vein: king Constantine II of Greece:

Father:
Paul I, king of the Hellenes

Grandfathers:
Constantine I, king of Greece
Ernst August, Duke of Brunswick

So, this royal couple (Constantine & Anne Marie) both had reigning monarchs as fathers and both sets of grandfathers were also reigning monarchs.

Michael of Romania and Simeon of Bulgaria also had/have monarchs as father (Carol II of Romania and Boris III of Bulgaria, respectivelh) and grandfathers (Ferdinand of Romania and Constantine I of Greece; and Ferdinand of Bulgaria and Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, respectively).

Last edited:
King Luis I of Portugal had two parents as monarchs: Queen Maria II and King Ferdinand II.

King Luis I of Portugal had two parents as monarchs: Queen Maria II and King Ferdinand II.

Fernando II as the king consort was allowed under the constitutions of Portugal to take a role in government and to exercise the regency for his son, but he was not a true monarch.
90. O Casamento da Princesa Herdeira presuntiva da Coroa será feito a aprazimento do Rei, e nunca com Estrangeiro; não existindo o Rei ao tempo em que se tratar este Consórcio, não poderá ele efectuar-se sem aprovação das Cortes Gerais. Seu Marido não terá parte no Governo e somente se chamará Rei, depois que tiver da Rainha filho ou filha.

95. No caso de falecer a Rainha Regente, será esta Regência presidida por seu Marido.
O Portal da Hist?ria - A Carta Constitucional de 1826: T?tulo V

Back
Top Bottom