Monaco: Genealogy and Relationships with European Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Jennifer

Moderator Emeritus
City
DMV Region
Country
United States
So what connections does the House of Grimaldi have to other Royal Houses?
We know Caroline is connected to the Hanover's, but who else are they related too?
I saw a genealogy chart a few years back that listed are the Royal Houses they were connected too, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it (I think it was online).

This is with fairly incomplete data, as I haven't gotten very far on Monaco yet, but still... I think it is interesting.

Albert of Monaco (1848-1922) married Mary Douglas-Hamilton, who was the daughter of Marie Amalie of Baden (daughter of Karl Ludwig of Baden and Stephanie de Beauharnais (of Leuchtenberg). From there and backwards, you have a connection to pretty much everyone... I guess

Andrea Casiraghi is related in at least three ways to Frederik of Denmark, as far as I can figure out, with my incomplete data - with (Karl Friederich of Baden & Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt) (Karl Ludwig of Baden & Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt) and (Claude de Beauharnais and Renee Hardouineau).

Monaco-Baden-Douglas-Hamilton relationships also touched on in the second part of this post in the Queen Victoria's Descendants thread.

So what connections does the House of Grimaldi have to other Royal Houses?
We know Caroline is connected to the Hanover's, but who else are they related too?
I saw a genealogy chart a few years back that listed are the Royal Houses they were connected too, but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it (I think it was online).

Prince Albert and Prince William are 6th cousins.

Prince Albert and Queen Margrethe II of Denmark are 6th cousins as well.

Prince Willem Alexander and Prince Albert are 7th cousins.

:flowers:

Last edited:
This is with fairly incomplete data, as I haven't gotten very far on Monaco yet, but still... I think it is interesting.

Albert of Monaco (1848-1922) married Mary Douglas-Hamilton, who was the daughter of Marie Amalie of Baden (daughter of Karl Ludwig of Baden and Stephanie de Beauharnais (of Leuchtenberg). From there and backwards, you have a connection to pretty much everyone... I guess

Andrea Casiraghi is related in at least three ways to Frederik of Denmark, as far as I can figure out, with my incomplete data - with (Karl Friederich of Baden & Caroline of Hesse-Darmstadt) (Karl Ludwig of Baden & Amalie of Hesse-Darmstadt) and (Claude de Beauharnais and Renee Hardouineau).

A very small mistake here, not a big deal, really: Stéphanie de Beauharnais was not a Leuchtenberg, as the title duke of Leuchtenberg was given to Eugène de Beauharnais and was transmitted to his descendants. As for Stéphanie, her father was Eugène's father cousin (and when Eugène was created duke of L. by the king of Bavaria, she was already married in the Baden family).

The Grimaldis are not as closely related to the other royal houses as those houses are to one another, because they are, in truth, no more than French aristocrats who became rulers by an accident of History (the survival of Monaco as an independant state), and I say that with no disrespect. Up to the 17th century, they were serving Spain, so they tended to marry Italian and Spanich noblewomen. After they began serving France, they married French noblewomen, and it must be noted that they are French since the early 18th century, when the Goyon-Matignon and then the Polignac took over Monaco and the Grimaldi name.

You can find another link to German princely families through Antoinette de Mérode, prince Albert 1st's mother here:

Pedigree for Comtesse Antoinette de Merode

You can also note that, since the 17th century, only one Monaco princess has descendants in other royal houses (if you don't count princess Florestine and the Urach family): Teresa-Maria Grimaldi, an ancestor of the houses of Austria-Este, Bourbon-Parma, Bavaria, Luxembourg, etc...

Teresa Maria Grimaldi

Last edited:

Andrea Casiraghi and Crown Prince Frederik are 13th cousins via their shared Mérode lineage, they are 9th cousins through their Beauharnais connection, and they are 7th cousins as descendants of Karl Ludwig Zähringen, Markgraf von Baden (1755-1801) and Amalie Friederike, Landgräfin von Hessen-Darmstadt (1754-1832).

According to the relationship calculator I used on Daniel de Rauglaudre’s database, Andrea and Frederik have over 5,662 relationship ties.

The Grimaldis are not as closely related to the other royal houses as those houses are to one another, because they are, in truth, no more than French aristocrats who became rulers by an accident of History (the survival of Monaco as an independant state), and I say that with no disrespect. Up to the 17th century, they were serving Spain, so they tended to marry Italian and Spanich noblewomen. After they began serving France, they married French noblewomen, and it must be noted that they are French since the early 18th century, when the Goyon-Matignon and then the Polignac took over Monaco and the Grimaldi name.

Well... to the best of my knowledge the Grimaldis are Italians, from Genoa to be precise. You can visit their palace in Genoa, which is currently undergoing restoration.

One branch came to Spain and proved their nobility before the Military Orders of Santiago (1539, 1654 and 1724) and Alcántara (1623 and 1629) Don José de Grimaldo (sic), Knight of the Toison d'Or, was created Marquess of Grimaldo on the 4th of March 1715. Don Jerónimo Grimaldi was create Duke of Grimaldi on the 8th of April 1777.

The coat of arms of the Spanish Grimaldi family is identical to the Italian and Monegasque ones. What changes is the external decoration according to their position and hierarchy.

There are very strong links amongst the members of those different branches of the same family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert I was the son of Antoinette de Mérode-Westerloo, who hails from the old noble house of Mérode. Their pedigrees are prominent ones in Belgium. Through that family, he is related to some of the margraves of Brandenburg and the royal family of Prussia.

The mother of Honore V was Louise d'Aumont. Her family includes (Worldroots.com) the famous Hortense Mancini, one-time love of Louis XIV. The mother of Honore IV was Mary Brignole-Sale, daughter of the Doge of Genoa, and a member of a prominent Genoese family. Honore III's mother was the daughter of Mary of Lorraine, and thus related to most modern royal families, including the British (thru Mary I of Scots).

Last edited:
The Grimaldi-Family have lesbian ancestors.:lol:

Ginevra Gattilusio, granddaughter of the Lord of Lesbos Francesco II. Gattilusio (+1404), married Lodovico Fregoso, Doge of Genua.
There granddaughter Costanza Fregoso married Marcantonio Landi, and there great-granddaughter Maria Landi married Hercule I. Grimaldi, Lord of Monaco, (+1604).

Over the lesbian Lords the Grimaldi-Family has connections to the Habsburgs, Marquis de Sade and Brooke Shields.:)

Lesbian Genealogy

Who is the link in the Grimaldi tree that hooks them into the rest of the royal families? I had no clue that the Grimaldi family were cousins of any sort to the royals! That's exciting new for me!

:previous:
The common hook is Johann Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (d 1693).
From him descend the current Heads and Monarchs of Albania, Austria, Bavaria, Belgium, Denmark, Great Britain, Greece, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.

The Monaco descent:
Johann Georg II > Henriette Amalie > Jan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange > Anna Charlotte > Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden > Karl Ludwig > Karl, Grand Duke of Baden > Marie > Mary (dau of the 11th Duke of Hamilton) > Louis II, Prince of Monaco > Charlotte > Rainier III > Albert II.

source: Burke's Royal Families of the World, Vol I

Thank you Warren, that's so very exciting! I had researched my genealogy and found I had some relationships shared with some of the royal families, but I never considered that the Grimaldi family had shared any of those connections! :flowers::queen3:

:previous:
The common hook is Johann Georg II, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (d 1693).
From him descend the current Heads and Monarchs of Albania, Austria, Bavaria, Belgium, Denmark, Great Britain, Greece, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.

The Monaco descent:
Johann Georg II > Henriette Amalie > Jan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange > Anna Charlotte > Karl Friedrich, Grand Duke of Baden > Karl Ludwig > Karl, Grand Duke of Baden > Marie > Mary (dau of the 11th Duke of Hamilton) > Louis II, Prince of Monaco > Charlotte > Rainier III > Albert II.

source: Burke's Royal Families of the World, Vol I
This is the one most know of. The Duke of Hamilton also has Royal ties to the Windsors, Hanovers and cousins to the Spencers through Diana's grandmother. Instead of trying to list it this is a link to the Grimaldi Ancestors where you can find the information several of us have posted. Rainier's parents were also cousins.

I saw one on the British Monatchy website a few years ago. I printed a copy but haven't seen an online version since.

The Monaco princly family are connected to all other European houses just not as close as the other European houses are though.I'm not suprise one bit but it is still nice to know this sort of information.

The family of Monaco has not many ties with the other royal families, I think that Princess Grace would like her children marry with royal families for connecting the future family with the royal gotha. But Prince Albert is the man who has the most titles in the french aristocracy. He is Marquis of the Baux,Duke of Valentinois, Prince of Chateau-Porcien,Marquis of Chilly,baron of Saint Lo,Baron of Altkirch,duke of Mazarin and Mayen and so..At the last weedding of Prince Rainier, the Mayor who made the civil weedding said all the titles of the Prince and it was a long list to hear, I don't knowif it will be the same thing for the Prince Albert's civil weedding

I posted on another thread that Princess Gracia Patricia of Monaco also had some noble ancestors...here is her line from the famous Schenk von Stauffenberg family whose members include Claus,Count Schenk von Stauffenberg and Andrea's ex-girfriend Caroline,Countess Schenk von Stauffenberg:

Konrad Schenk von Stauffenberg,died in 1361=Adelheid von Ow
I
Elisabeth Schenk von Stauffenberg
I
Adelheid Megenzer von Felldorf
I
Elisabeth von Pleiningen
I
Erhard Faut gennant zum Stock,Rattherr in Studtgart,born in 1450
I
Barbara Faut gennant zum Stock,lived from 1470-1514
I
Elisabeth Stickel,died in 1531
I
Margaretha Hom,died in 1606
I
Christine Spam von Sparr
I
Brigitte Stehlin aus Merklingen,died in 1598
I
Brigitte Aubler,lived from 1584-1644
I
Euphrosyne Leo,lived from 1614-1681
I
Eufrosine Schübel,lived from 1640-1689
I
Johann Christoph Lang,lived from 1673-1720
I
Christine Euphrosine Lang,lived from 1707-1744
I
Prof.Johann Christoph von Maier,lived from 1741-1821
I
Gustav Maier,lived from 1793-1856
I
Johann Christian Karl Maier,lived from 1837-1885
I
Karl Maier,lived from 1863-1922
I
Margaret Maier,born in 1899
I
Grace Patricia Kelly,lived from 1929-1982=Prince Ranier III of Monaco,lived from 1923-2005

So are Andrea and Carolina (von Stauffenberg) distant relatives?

A very small mistake here, not a big deal, really: Stéphanie de Beauharnais was not a Leuchtenberg, as the title duke of Leuchtenberg was given to Eugène de Beauharnais and was transmitted to his descendants. As for Stéphanie, her father was Eugène's father cousin (and when Eugène was created duke of L. by the king of Bavaria, she was already married in the Baden family).

You can find another link to German princely families through Antoinette de Mérode, prince Albert 1st's mother here:

Pedigree for Comtesse Antoinette de Merode

You can also note that, since the 17th century, only one Monaco princess has descendants in other royal houses (if you don't count princess Florestine and the Urach family): Teresa-Maria Grimaldi, an ancestor of the houses of Austria-Este, Bourbon-Parma, Bavaria, Luxembourg, etc...

Teresa Maria Grimaldi

According to Wikipedia, Stephanie de Beauharnais was the second cousin of Empress Josephine's two children, and Napoleon adopted Stephanie and made her a 'Princesse Française.' Her biological father was Claude de Beauharnais and his father and Eugène's father (Josephine's first husband) were first cousins. Stephanie married a Prince of Baden and their granddaughter married Monaco's Albert I. Although married briefly, they had a son, whose descendant Albert II is now The Prince of Mónaco. Albert II's younger sister Princess Stephanie is elder Stephanie's namesake.

SdB's other dayghter was Princess Josephine Friederike Luise of Baden. On 21 October 1834 at*Karlsruhe, she married*Karl Anton Joachim Zephyrinus Friedrich Meinrad, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, son of*Charles, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen*(1785–1853) and his wife*Marie Antoinette Murat*(1793–1847).

Their children were:

Leopold*(1835–1905)
Stephanie*(1837–1859), Queen consort of*Pedro V, King of*Portugal*(1839–1914),
King of*RomaniaAnton*(1841–1866), died in battle.
Friedrich*(1843–1904)
Marie*(1845–1912), married*Prince Philippe, Count of Flanders

Through her eldest son Leopold and also through her daughter Marie, she is the ancestress of the*Romanian royal family*and the*Yugoslav Royal Family. Through her daughter Marie, she is also the ancestress of the Belgian royal family and the Grand Ducal family of Luxemburg.

Not only was P Stephanie of Monaco named in honor of SdB, but so was the future Queen Stephanie of Portugal, consort of Pedro V, as was P Stephanie of Belgium, a future Archduchess of Austria.

Only using basic information you can draw the obvious conclusión that the Princely Family of Monaco are related to many other royal/grand ducal/princely houses of Europe.

As far as I know,all European reigning dynasties and former royal reigning heads of the family (including Monaco and except Montenegro) have descended from Prince Johann Georg II von Anhalt-Dessau(1627-1693).

So,they are all related in one way or another.

Last edited:
As far as I know,all European reigning dynasties and former royal reigning heads of the family (including Monaco and except Montenegro) have descended from Prince Johann Georg II von Anhalt-Dessau(1627-1693).

So,they are all related in one way or another.

The most recent common ancestor of all currently reigning European dynasties is Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange, who was Prince Johann George II von Anhalt-Dessau's grandson (through his mother).

Most of the non-reigning one dynasties are descended from him as well; I think there's fewer than 20 pretenders in Europe that don't descend from JWF and they tend to be from small and/or obscure families - Albania, Montenegro, Nepal.

f
The most recent common ancestor of all currently reigning European dynasties is Johan Willem Friso, Prince of Orange, who was Prince Johann George II von Anhalt-Dessau's grandson (through his mother).

Most of the non-reigning one dynasties are descended from him as well; I think there's fewer than 20 pretenders in Europe that don't descend from JWF and they tend to be from small and/or obscure families - Albania, Montenegro, Nepal.

Indeed. And the most remarbable is that Johan Willem Friso of Nassau only had a small family himself with one son (Prince Willem IV) and one daughter (Princess Amalia). Via these two almost all European royal families are related...

From Prince Johan Willem Friso to Prince Jacques:

Johan Willem Friso Fürst von Nassau-Dietz, Prince d'Orange (1687-1711)
x
Marie Luise Landgräfin von Hessen-Kassel (1688-1765)
=
Amalia Prinzessin von Nassau-Dietz

Amalia Prinzessin von Nassau-Dietz (1710-1777)
x
Friedrich Erbprinz von Baden-Durlach (1703-1732)
=
Karl Friedrich Großherzog von Baden

Karl Friedrich Großherzog von Baden (1728-1811)
x
Karoline Luise Prinzessin von Hessen-Darmstadt (1723-1783)
=
Karl Ludwig
Großherzog von Baden

Karl Ludwig Großherzog von Baden (1755-1801)
x
Amalia Prinzessin von Hessen-Darmstadt (1754-1832)
=
Karl Großherzog von Baden

Karl Großherzog von Baden (1786-1818)
x
Stéphanie des comtes de Beauharnais (1789-1860)
=
Joséphine Prinzessin von Baden

Maria Prinzessin von Baden (1817-1888)
x
William Hamilton, 11th Duke of Hamilton, 8th Duke of Brandon (1811-1863)
=
Lady Maria Victoria Hamilton

Lady Maria Victoria Hamilton (1850-1922)
x
Albert I, Prince de Monaco (1848-1922)
=
Louis II, Prince de Monaco

Louis II, Prince de Monaco (1870-1949)
x
Ghislaine Dommanget (1900-1991)
=
Charlotte, Princesse de Monaco

Charlotte, Princesse de Monaco (1898-1977)
x
Comte Pierre de Polignac (1895-1964)
=
Rainier III, Prince de Monaco

Rainier III, Prince de Monaco (1923-2005)
x
Grace Kelly (1929-1982)
=
Albert II, Prince de Monaco

Albert II, Prince de Monaco (1958)
x
Charlene Wittstock (1978)
=
Prince Jacques de Monaco

Family Tree of the Princely Family of Monaco.
4a8d8fba3e476ba6ca268d4fbb4d1339.jpg

Last edited:
nepal should not be in a list of descendants of a european ruler

nepal should not be in a list of descendants of a european ruler
I wonder if what the poster meant was Neapel which in many European languages is the name for Naples in Italy which up until 1861 was an independent kingdom ruled by a cadet branch of the Spanish Bourbons.

Archduke Lorenz and Prince Albert are direct descendants of the de Merode family via two sisters Louise de Merode and Antoinette de Merode whose parents were Werner de Merode and Victoire de Spangen d’Uyternesse.

Back
Top Bottom