Kings of Jerusalem

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal Fan said:
How is he King of Jerusalem
The kingdom of Jerusalem is one of the titles of the crown of Aragón (Corona de Aragón).

Last edited by a moderator:
So the title of King of Cyprus and Jerusalem used sometimes by the Savoys was not recognized by others? Or maybe just by someone? Or were they Kings without being Majesties and Royal Highnesses?

I don't think anyone really cared of these titles; too many people claimed (and still may claim) the title of King of Jerusalem; if all the claimant to that title were recognized as Royal Highnesses, also the Princes of La Tremoille in the past and now the Princes of Ligne-La Tremoille should be Royal Highnesses, but nobody acknowledged this style for them.
As for the King of Cyprus title, I really don't know how it was regarded by the other European Sovereigns.

The Kingdom of Armenia came to an end in 1045 when the last King of the Bagratuni dynasty, Gagik II, was forced to cede his kingdom of Ani to the Byzantine Empire. By that stage the Kingdom of Armenia had been dismembered and Ani was the last remnant. It is believed that the Bagrations of Georgia are an offshoot of the Bagratunis.

Prince Ruben, a Bagratuni and relation of Gagik II, founded the Rubenid dynasty and what became the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia. As the surrounding Mongols became Muslim and the Crusader states disintegrated, Christian Cilicia was left without any regional allies. Under the Lusignan dynasty (which had married into the Rubenids) the Kingdom fell to the Mamluks in 1375.

The claim to the Kingdom of Armenia then fell to the Cypriot branch of the Lusignans who styled themselves Kings of Jerusalem and Cyprus. The last ruling monarchs were Charlotte I followed by her usurping half-brother James II. James died in 1473 but had a posthumous son, James III, who died a year later. Venetian merchants had a significant presence in Cyprus and both deaths were suspicious; soon after the death of the baby James the Venetian Republic took control and made Cyprus a Venetian colony.

The usurped Queen Charlotte, married to her cousin Louis of Savoy, outlived her half-brother and his son. Two years before she died in 1487 she resigned her claims in favour of the next legitimate heir, Charles I of Savoy, her 1st cousin once removed.

Hence the Savoy claim to the title of King of Jerusalem and Cyprus, and if they wanted to push it, to the Kingdom of Armenia.

Hence the Savoy claim to the title of King of Jerusalem and Cyprus, and if they wanted to push it, to the Kingdom of Armenia.

You made a brilliant post on a brief history on the Kingdom of Armenia (both of them, in fact); however, the Savoy claim (which is, for whatever reason, wildly accepted) is actually inaccurate.

The House of Savoy did inherit the claim after Queen's Charlotte's death; however, at some point the pretender to the Kingdom of Armenia and the Head of House of Savoy ceased to be the same person because of Savoy's Salic Laws: Armenia (neither Kingdom of Armenia, nor Cilician Kingdom of Armenia) never had any laws that forbade women from ascending to the Throne. In fact, there had been several Queens Regnant throughout history of Armenia.

This is how the title passed from one titular Monarch to the other (not necessarily from parent to child; sometimes, more remote relatives inherited the claim):
- Leo V, King of Armenia
- James I of Cyprus
- Janus of Cyprus
- John II of Cyprus
- Charlotte I
- Charles I, Duke of Savoy (son of Amadeus IX, Duke of Savoy, himself son of Anne de Lusignan, herself daughter of King Janus of Cyprus)
- Charles II, Duke of Savoy (son of Charles I)
- Yolande Louise of Savoy (daughter of Charles I)

At this point, the Houses of Savoy and claimants to the Throne of Armenia parted their ways.
- Charlotte of Naples (daughter of Anne of Savoy, herself daughter of Amadeus IX, Duke of Savoy, himself son of Anne de Lusignan)
- Anne de Laval (daughter of Charlotte of Naples)
- Louis III de La Tremoille (son of Anne de Laval)
- Claude de La Tremoille (son of Louis III de La Tremoille)
- Henry III of Tremoille (son of Claude de La Tremoille)
- Henri Charles de La Tremoille, 4th Duke of Thouars (son of Henry III of Tremoille)
- Charles Belgique Hollande de La Tremoille (son of Henri Charles de La Tremoille, 4th Duke of Thouars)
- Charles Louis de La Bretagne Tremoïlle (son of Charles Belgique Hollande de La Tremoille)
- Charles Godefroy de La Tour d'Auvergne (son of Marie Armande Victoire de la Tremoïlle, herself daughter of Charles Belgique Hollande de La Tremoille)
- Jacques Leopold de La Tour d'Auvergne (son of Charles Godefroy de La Tour d'Auvergne)
- Henri Louis de Rohan, Prince de Rohan-Guemene (son of Marie-Louise de La Tour d'Auvergne. herself daughter of Charles Godefroy de La Tour d'Auvergne)
- Charles IV Alain Gabriel de Rohan, Prince de Rohan (son of Henri Louis Marie de Rohan, Prince de Rohan-Guemene)
- Jules Armand Louis de Rohan (son of Henri Louis de Rohan, Prince de Rohan-Guemene)
- Prince Benjamin Armand Rohan-Rochefort-Guemene (son of Marie Louise de Rohan, herself daughter of Henri Louis de Rohan, Prince de Rohan-Guemene)
- Prince Arthur Carl de Rohan (son of Prince Benjamin Armand Rohan-Rochefort-Guemene)
- Karl Viktor Alain de Rohan (son of Prince Arthur Carl de Rohan)
- Alain Benjamin, Furst von Rohan (son of Prince Arthur Carl de Rohan)
- Alain Anton, Furst von Rohan (son of Alain Benjamin, Furst von Rohan)
- Princess Marie-Jeanne de Rohan (daughter of Alain Anton, Furst von Rohan: she is currently alive but childless)
- Princess Marguerite Johanna de Rohan (sister of Princess Marie-Jeanne)
- Louisette Kottulinsky (daughter of Princess Marguerite Johanna de Rohan; currently alive but childless)
- Marguerite Jamila Kottulinsky (sister of Louisette Kottulinsky)
- James Alexander Maule Durie of Durie (son of Marguerite Jamila Kottulinsky; born in 1978, he has no issue as of now. James was born and lives in England)

Even accepting that Philip II of Savoy inherited his cousin Charles II's claims to the Thrones of Armenia, Jerusalem and Cyprus (ahead of Charlotte of Naples, who had better claims by primogeniture), the House of Savoy would have still not remained pretenders to the Throne of Armenia.

- Charles II, Duke of Savoy
- Philip II, Duke of Savoy (son of of Anne de Lusignan, herself daughter of King Janus of Cyprus)
- Philibert II, Duke of Savoy (son of Philip II)
- Charles III, Duke of Savoy (son of Philip II)
- Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy (son of Charles III)
- Charles Emmanuel I, Duke of Savoy (son of Emmanuel Philibert)
- Victor Amadeus I, Duke of Savoy (son of Charles Emmanuel I)
- Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy (son of Victor Amadeus I)
- Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia (son of Charles Emmanuel II)
- Charles Emmanuel III of Sardinia (son of Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia)
- Victor Amadeus III of Sardinia (son of Charles Emmanuel III)
- Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia (son of Victor Amadeus III)
- Victor Emmanuel I of Sardinia (son of Victor Amadeus III)

At this point, the Headship of the House of Savoy and title of King of Sardinia was inherited by Victor Emmanuel I's younger brother, Charles Felix of Sardinia. However, Victor Emmanuel had daughters (who were ineligible to inherit the throne because of Salic laws) who could very much inherit the claims to the Throne of Armenia, Cyprus and Jerusalem.

- Maria Beatrice of Savoy (daughter of Victor Emmanuel I)
- Francis V, Duke of Modena (son of Maria Beatrice of Savoy)
- Maria Theresa of Austria-Este, Queen of Bavaria (daughter of Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Este, himself son of Maria Beatrice of Savoy)
- Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria (son of Maria Theresa of Austria-Este)
- Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria (son of Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria)
- Franz, Duke of Bavaria (son of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria; currently alive but no issue)
- Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria (younger brother of Franz, Duke of Bavaria)
- Sophie, Hereditary Princess of Liechtenstein
- Prince Joseph Wenzel of Liechtenstein

Thus, Prince Joseph Wenzel will one day inherit not only the Throne of Liechtenstein, but will also become the Jacobite pretender to the Thrones of England and Scotland, as well as pretender to the Thrones of Armenia, Jerusalem and Cyprus. Again, none of these countries had Salic Laws and females could (and did) inherit the Throne, and were certainly able to pass the claims to their own descendants.

King of Jerusalem?

I have taken time to look into dis title and it seems strange to me. Nearly every western monarch ve know has der title. Why is this?

After the Crusader States ceased to exist, the empty title of King of Jerusalem was claimed by numerous Western kings and princes.

There are several potential claimants today on the basis of (disputed) inheritance of the title. None of these has, or claims, any power in the area of the former Kingdom.
  • Juan Carlos I, current king of Spain
  • Victor Emmanuel, Prince of Naples, claimant to the royal throne of Italy (House of Savoy)
  • Amedeo, 5th Duke of Aosta, claimant to the royal throne of Italy (House of Savoy-Aosta)
  • Karl von Habsburg, claimant to the imperial throne of Austria and the royal thrones of Hungary and Bohemia (House of Habsburg-Lorraine)
  • Infante Carlos, Duke of Calabria, claimant to the royal throne of Two Sicilies (House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies Calabria line)
  • Prince Carlo, Duke of Castro, claimant to the royal throne of Two Sicilies (House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies Castro line)
  • Charles-Antoine Lamoral, prince de Ligne de La Trémoïlle, heir-general of Yolande-Louise of Savoy and the Brienne claims

You're statement "nearly every western monarch ve know has der title", seems to be incorrect.

Attachments

• Jerusalem Arms of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.svg.png
    Jerusalem Arms of the Kingdom of Jerusalem.svg.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 2,082
I descend from Fulk, King of Jerusalem, via his son Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou.

The kingdom of Jerusalem had some interesting long forgotten queen's!

Melisende, Queen of Jerusalem
Melisende, Queen of Jerusalem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sibylla, Queen of Jerusalem
Sibylla, Queen of Jerusalem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isabella I of Jerusalem
Isabella I of Jerusalem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maria of Montferrat
Maria of Montferrat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isabella II of Jerusalem
Isabella II of Jerusalem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Unknown Son" of Leopold III., King of Belgium, Descendant Royal House Jerusalem...

According to research... The Unknown Son of King Leopold III. of Belgium, can be traced to The Belgian Royal House, but also, his Non-Known Mother, can be possibly traced by way of The Portuguese-Spanish Royal Lines. Though the Royal Lines of The Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem are definitely there... it is not offically verified if The Unknown Son of Leopold III., would make such a claim of being a Direct Heir as King, but being A Direct Decendant is obviously verified. According to The Various Claimants... Philipe of Spain and Portugal makes present claim of being The King Of Jerusalem and according to genealogical charts, both "The Unknown Son" of Leopold III. (minus his Mother's Line) and Philipe are Direct 4th. Cousins, as well as 4th. Cousin to Charles, Prince of Wales... who is also A Direct Descendant of The Royal House of Jerusalem. It is also noted that age wise... all Three are near to each age, but in rank of family lines, "The Unknown Son" of Leopold III., is senior to them both.

That is true too about some Queens being descendants, but usually it would pass the Female Line and pass on to her Male Heir.
Today... Many Royal Houses have made it viable for both Male and Female Heirs to be eligible, but as I understand... Traditionally, Male Issue takes patriarchal dominance in "The Royal House of Jerusalem". It would nice that The Real Present King of Jerusalem, would make it equal for both Male and Female... :)

Today... Many Royal Houses have made it viable for both Male and Female Heirs to be eligible, but as I understand... Traditionally, Male Issue takes patriarchal dominance in "The Royal House of Jerusalem". It would nice that The Real Present King of Jerusalem, would make it equal for both Male and Female... :)

I believe the Spanish monarchs still claim to be Kings/Queens of Jerusalem. If and when Spain makes its succession law gender equal, which I expect will happen assuming the Spanish monarchy survives, that "Royal House of Jerusalem" will be equal for males and females. :flowers:

I believe the Spanish monarchs still claim to be Kings/Queens of Jerusalem. If and when Spain makes its succession law gender equal, which I expect will happen assuming the Spanish monarchy survives, that "Royal House of Jerusalem" will be equal for males and females. :flowers:

I am not very familiar with the topic, but isn't the strongest claim that of the House of Savoy?

I thought the Kingdom of Jerusalem passed to the kings of Cyprus then to Naples and then claimed by the Spanish kings?

The Emperors of Austria also claimed the title.

The Savoys have a claim to Jerusalem, Cyprus and Cilician Armenia through their ancestor Anna de Lusignan, Princess of Cyprus.

Last edited:
The Savoys have a claim to Jerusalem, Cyprus and Cilician Armenia through their ancestor Anna de Lusignan, Princess of Cyprus.
Anne's son Philip de Savoie married Marguerite de Bourbon their daughter Louise de Savoie was the mother of King Francois Ier of France.
Another daughter ,Charlotte de Savoie married Louis XI of France.

Yes... If you know, in his life, Dr. Mikel Nostradamus had interacted with The Royals in his day and in his famed Quatrain's, he mentions The Royals in some cryptic ways. He mentioned about The Holy Roman Emperor (Charles V) in one of his Quatrain's, that traces the breakup of Flanders, into what is now Belgium and The Netherlands. As far as what I researched... Most of The Belgian Royal House, also are Descendants of "The Royal House of Jerusalem". How much if they can claim the right... would take some research to verify?

Last edited:
https://www.abc.es/internacional/abci-espana-jerusalen-202001221727_noticia.html

Why is the King of Spain King of Jerusalem?

King Felipe VI, who has been invited to the events (commemoration of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau), plays a special role at this time to remember, linked to his status as King of Jerusalem, an honorary title that he holds as holder of the Crown of Spain. That dignity dates back to the Middle Ages, a period to which the exploration of its origin leads through genealogy, wars and a sale.

The origin of the title of King of Jerusalem dates back to the First Crusade (1095-1099). The military expedition was formed after the call of Pope Urban II, carried out, according to the historian Alain Demurger in «Crusades. History of medieval warfare "(Paidós, 2009), with two objectives: on the one hand," to help the Christians of the East, "and, on the other," to recover the tomb of Jesus Christ (the Holy Sepulcher) in Jerusalem. " In reality, greed and plunder had their place in the adventure, where Jerusalem was razed to the ground and the Frankish knights, particularly the Lorraine Geoffrey de Bouillon and his brother, Baudouin, particularly stood out, passing down to posterity. Godfrey was later appointed protector of the Holy Places, and, on his death, his brother became Baudouin I, King of Jerusalem.

«The Kingdom of Jerusalem was founded on the first crusade. Its existence is mentioned in the Bible. In the Middle Ages, a series of movements appeared that wanted to recover spaces that had something to do with Christianity. Among them was Jerusalem. Thus, the first crusades were formed, which had a huge impact throughout Europe, ”explains Esther Bendahan, Director of Culture at the Centro Sefarad-Israel. “Pope Urban II launched the first crusade, which established the Kingdom of Jerusalem, in force for some 200 years. Later, the title passed to several kings, until finally it was acquired by Naples, "she adds. Specifically, by Carlos de Anjou, who bought it from María de Antioquia in 1277.

"It is a title without a kingdom, which the Spanish Crown acquired when Ferdinand the Catholic was named King of Naples," recalls Bendahan, referring to the conquest of the Kingdom of Naples, carried out by the Great Captain in 1504. Since then, " the title has always been held by the King of Spain, and it has enormous symbolic value. We must remember that Spain has a great relationship with the Jewish world, because of the Sephardim, "she concludes.

According to my research... there were/are issues as to who is "The King of Jerusalem" in the present day. For a time... it was claimed that Otto von Haspsburg, claimed the Descendant Title of "The King of Jerusalem" and The Royal House of Spain-Portugal, had quietly challenged it. When Otto von Haspburg died in 2011... The Symbolic Acquisition of Claim, was made by Carlos VI. of Spain and is now in the critera of Phillipe VI.
In spite the fact that Otto von Hapsburg, has A Son... the silent argument of Descendant Claim, is mixed.
According to the decree of Fulk V., King of Jerusalem... All Direct Descendants can make claim to be 'Descendant Princes of Jerusalem', but as far as the symbolic title as King... most descendants have conceded to Phillipe VI., but it could be Symbolically challenged by Peerage and DNA verification?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom