Genealogy of The Royal House of Kamakahelei, Royal House of Hawai'i

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyGabrielle

Serene Highness
City
kapaa
Country
United States
Kaua'i branch of the Royal House of Hawai'i. Cousins and collateral branch to the last Monarchs, King David Kalakaua and Queen Liliuokalani. Also cousins to the present Head of the Royal House of Hawai'i Quentin Kawananakoa. 20190110_093913.jpg

Hawaiian royal lines

An interesting genealogy - one of many such lines of descent. However, I am not sure that it is correct for these descendants in the Kamakahelei line to be referred to either as princes or HRH. Royal titles were usually only for the main branch of the Hawaiian royal family. Other royalty (or ali’i) occasionally had the qualification of Highness granted to them, although some did assume such titles and qualifications in an attempt to assert their particular island’s independence from the unification of Hawaii by the great Kamehameha.

EssexRoyal, It depends on which protocol you wish to follow. According to European standards it is clear cut and allowed being that the descent is through a Queen Regnant. In Hawai'i, according to Hawaiian protocol, the Prince is equal in status as his cousin HRH Prince Quentin Kawanankoa and if there were some sort of restoration to the Monarchy, The Prince Darrick would be in the line of succession according to hawaiian custom and therefore, the Council of Chiefs would appoint the next leader. It would then become a new stirps. Therefore any descendent with the genealogy to prove they are Ali'i Nui would be in the line of succession and would be eligible to he chosen. Quentin having put forth a full claim about 5 years ago is the recognized Heir to the throne in Europe but, in Hawai'i, he is considered one of many who could be chosen for the position. Since the Kamehameha line died out, the new Stirps became the House of Kalakaua and now, the Council of Chiefs would decide if it will become the House of Kawananakoa, Kamakahelei or whichever other head of a Royal House comes forward. It is as simple as that and it would be according to protocol. The Prince Darrick along with his cousin The Prince Kawananakoa claim their Houses through the Kings and Queens of Kauai', considered the bluest blood and the highest of rank in Hawai'i.

I found your reply very interesting and made me think a little more about how we try to apply western standards, traditions etc on non-western cultures when they do not really apply. The whole ali'i system, including the practice of hanai, confuses genealogists as does the system of titles - both honoury and hereditary. It is something you have made me want to discover a little more about, and not just assume that Quentin Kawananakoa is the sole heir to the throne of the great Kamehameha I.

I appreciate your kind words and I'm glad that you understand what I am trying to say. And it is true that most westerners or foreigners, do not understand hawaiian protocols and genealogy. They may THINK they know but in fact they know little. Hawaiian protocols and genealogies are intricate and complex and they were never meant for westerners or foreigners to understand. They were sacred and kapu to outsiders. And as for those who are eligible to be chosen? Yes, there is not just one or 2, there are many. It all depends on the bloodline according to protocol.

Back
Top Bottom