The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 09-08-2016, 07:03 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,912
Elimar I (1040-1112) also known as Egilmar I, was the first Count of Oldenburg and reigned from 1101 to 1108.

Present-day patrilineal descendants of Elimar I include Margrethe II of Denmark, Harald V of Norway, Constantine II of Greece, Charles, Prince of Wales, heir to the throne of the United Kingdom, The Duke Of Cambridge and Prince George of Cambridge.

Christopher, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, is Elimar's current senior male line descendant
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:06 PM
Blog Real's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lisboa, Portugal
Posts: 4,773
Christian IX married his second cousin, Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel, in 1842. Their six children married into other royal families across Europe, earning him the sobriquet "the father-in-law of Europe". Among his descendants are Margrethe II of Denmark, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, Philippe of Belgium, Harald V of Norway, Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Constantine II of Greece, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, Queen Sofia of Spain and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

__________________

__________________
My blogs about monarchies
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:57 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Christian IX married his second cousin, Princess Louise of Hesse-Kassel, in 1842. Their six children married into other royal families across Europe, earning him the sobriquet "the father-in-law of Europe". Among his descendants are Margrethe II of Denmark, Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, Philippe of Belgium, Harald V of Norway, Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Constantine II of Greece, Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, Queen Sofia of Spain and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

I don't know when this overview was made (probably after Philippe ascended the throne and before Felipe did) but as you correctly mention, grand duke Henri is also one of their descendants.

While Christian IX is seen as the 'father-in-law' or royal Europe (except for the Netherlands, Sweden, Liechtenstein and Monaco); 4 out of 5 current monarchs are through his eldest son - so, he should probably get more 'credit':
1. Frederick VIII: Margrethe (Denmark), Philippe (Belgium), Henri (Luxembourg), Harald (Norway)
2. Alexandra: Elizabeth (UK) & Harald (Norway)
3. George: Felipe (Spain), Konstantinos (Greece), Alexander (Serbia), Margaretha (Romania)
4. Marie/Dagmar: (no current monarch or pretender)
5. Thyra: Felipe (Spain), Konstantinos (Greece)
6. Valdemar: Margaretha (Romania)

And of course it does help if your son and grandson are picked to become monarchs of foreign countries (Greece & Norway).

Futhermore, it's interesting that there currently is one reigning male-line descendant and at some point there will be two; but those male-line descendants don't reign over Denmark but over Norway (currently) and the UK (future).

Edited: thanks to comments by Gawin.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-13-2020, 09:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Bellevue, United States
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I don't know when this overview was made (probably after Philippe ascended the throne and before Felipe did) but as you correctly mention, grand duke Henri is also one of their descendants.

While Christian IX is seen as the 'father-in-law' or royal Europe (except for the Netherlands, Sweden, Liechtenstein and Monaco); 4 out of 5 current monarchs are through his eldest son - so, he should probably get more 'credit':
1. Frederick VIII: Margrethe (Denmark), Philippe (Belgium), Henri (Luxembourg), Harald (Norway)
2. Alexandra: Elizabeth (UK) & Harald (Norway)
3. George: Konstantinos (Greece) & Margaretha (Romania)
4. Marie/Dagmar: (no current monarch or pretender)
5. Thyra: Felipe (Spain)
6. Valdemar: Margaretha (Romania)

And of course it does help if your son and grandson are picked to become monarchs of foreign countries (Greece & Norway).

Futhermore, it's interesting that there currently is one reigning male-line descendant and at some point there will be two; but those male-line descendants don't reign over Denmark but over Norway (currently) and the UK (future).
Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia is also a descendant of George. So is Amadeo Duke of Aosta who claims to be the head of the House of Savoy, former rulers of the Kingdom of Italy and also Sardinia before that.

Felipe of Spain descends from both George & Thyra.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-13-2020, 09:46 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Crown Prince Alexander of Serbia is also a descendant of George. So is Amadeo Duke of Aosta who claims to be the head of the House of Savoy, former rulers of the Kingdom of Italy and also Sardinia before that.

Felipe of Spain descends from both George & Thyra.
Thanks, of course he is: and Konstantinos is also a descendant of Thyra. I've made those changes to my previous post.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
British Royal Family Genealogy Claire Royal Genealogy 513 09-10-2020 04:42 PM
Genealogy of the Royal Family of Greece cuervo Royal Genealogy 4 01-26-2019 06:08 PM
Norway: Genealogy and Relationships Royal Fan Royal Genealogy 25 06-18-2016 03:25 PM
Prince Knud of Denmark and Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark -1933 Marengo Historical Royal Weddings 1 11-15-2014 08:37 PM




Popular Tags
abdication althorp anastasia baby names bridal gown british royal family buckingham palace chittagong clarence house diana princess of wales dna dubai duke of cambridge dutch dutch royals earl of snowdon facts future general news thread george vi gradenigo hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hill historical drama history hochberg hypothetical monarchs intro italian royal family jacobite japan jewellery list of rulers mary: crown princess of denmark mountbatten names nepalese royal jewels northern ireland norway palestine pless prince dimitri princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen louise queen mathilde random facts royal dress-ups royal jewels royal marriage royal re-enactments. royalty of taiwan royal wedding royal wedding gown serbian royal family snowdon spencer family thailand thai royal family tips tracts uae customs united states of america unsubscribe wittelsbach working royals; full-time royals; part-time royals;


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×