Genealogy of HRH the Duchess of Cambridge

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where can I get a copy of Cahterine's current family tree including cousins etc? Thanks

Where can I get a copy of Cahterine's current family tree including cousins etc? Thanks

Cepe - if anyone would know this it would be Claudia Joseph. You might be able to contact her through the DM. Ick. I know. ;)

My suggestions would be to contact Darryl Lundy at The Peerage - he might not know himself, but if he doesn't he could potentially put you on the right path.

You could also check out Ancestry.com, but their records of living people tend to be a bit closed (you might not be able to find names of them, but how many there are and what gender they are).

thanks to both Ish and AdmireUs. appreciate the response:flowers:

The Telegraph

Kate’s family tree
The late Diana, Princess of Wales was distantly related to Sir Winston Churchill. Now it would appear that the Duchess of Cambridge can claim a link to another former British prime minister, Neville Chamberlain.

The man who pursued a policy of appeasement with Adolf Hitler was scarcely one of the nation’s most revered leaders, but Michael Reed, of Hallam College, Melbourne, has discovered that Prince William’s wife has a family tree that just about includes him. “Kate’s great-great- grandfather was Francis Martineau Lupton, a politician himself, and his first cousin was the Birmingham lord mayor Sir Thomas Martineau, a friend of Queen Victoria. Sir Thomas’s nephew was Neville Chamberlain,” Reed explains.

It was not so surprising that appeasement was attractive to members of that generation. “Sadly, Francis Martineau’s son, Lionel, was one of many in Kate’s family killed in the First World War,” he adds.

Sunday Express

Kate Middleton is a Brummie and related to a former Prime Minister

The Duchess of Cambridge is descended from a former British Prime Minister according to new research.Far from being a commoner, the royal is actually related to Neville Chamberlain, who led the nation at the outbreak of the Second World War.The astonishing revelation also means that the former Kate Middleton is also really a Brummie.

Australian history teacher Michael Reed discovered the 32-year-old is descended from two of Birmingham's most prestigious families - the Chamberlains and the Martineaus.

The Chamberlain clan spawned visionary city leader Joseph and his son Neville, Prime Minister at the outbreak of the Second World War. They are remembered in the city centre square dedicated to Joseph Chamberlain.
The Martineaus were another political dynasty whose numbers included five successive generations of mayors or lord mayors of Birmingham.

Mr Reed, of Hallam College, Melbourne, has been investigating Kate's roots since she married Prince William in 2011. He is set to present his research at a conference at Birmingham's Newman University on July 4 and 5 to mark the centenary of Joseph Chamberlain's death. He said: 'Kate's great great grandfather was Francis Martineau Lupton, a politician himself, and his first cousin was Birmingham Mayor Sir Thomas Martineau, a friend of Queen Victoria. 'Sir Thomas's nephew was Neville Chamberlain.'

As Hitler discovered when he met Neville in 1938, Kate's political relatives were strongly anti-war - hence his policy of appeasement. 'Sadly Francis Martineau Lupton's son, Lionel Martineau, was one of many in Kate's family killed in the First World War.'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DONE
pp78-88 from 25.2.14

Last edited:
There are several posts about her ancestors in the thread about the ancestors of the British royals too.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using The Royals Community mobile app

Noted.

Last edited:
The Telegraph

Duchess of Cambridge is related to Beatrix Potter

The Duchess of Cambridge is related to Beatrix Potter, who once gave the Middleton family her own original hand-painted illustrations

It may not be so surprising if the Duchess of Cambridge has made Peter Rabbit a theme of the celebrations to mark Prince George’s first birthday today.Kate is related to the amiable mammal’s creator, Beatrix Potter, who had given the Middleton family her own original hand-painted illustrations.

Kate’s great-great-great uncle was the Leeds University pro-chancellor Dr Arthur Lupton, whose brother-in-law was Lord Ashton, 1st Baron Ashton of Hyde. Baron Ashton was the first cousin of Beatrix. “Beatrix had given the Middleton family a number of her own drawings, including four for Kate’s blood cousins, sisters Elinor and Elizabeth – who were the daughters of Dr Lupton,” says the art historian Michael Reed. “These four drawings were auctioned in 2006 and sold for £41,500.”

Reed says the associations go further still. Beatrix’s father, Rupert Potter, had been taught at Manchester College by Kate’s ancestor, Dr James Martineau, who was well acquainted with Queen Victoria. Beatrix lived in the Lake District, where Kate’s grandfather, Peter Middleton, had regularly holidayed as a youth. It was in the Lake District in the summer of 1936 that Peter’s mother Olive Lupton was rushed to hospital with peritonitis, dying on September 27, aged only 55, leaving behind a large trust fund for her descendants.

The snow-covered peaks featured on the Middleton family crest represent the Lake District and are perhaps also a reminder of one-year old Prince George’s famous literary relative.

It is interesting that people stress royals should follow their heart etc. etc. but when they have found a partner, really all efforts are done to trace any blue blood somewhere...

:whistling:

It is interesting that people stress royals should follow their heart etc. etc. but when they have found a partner, really all efforts are done to trace any blue blood somewhere...

It is widely known by genealogists that everyone has both royal and commoner ancestors. As we say in France, "tout le monde descend d'un roi et d'un pendu" ("everyone is descended from a king and a hanged man"). So it is common practice to try to find hanged men in a king's ancestors, and royal in a commoner's ancestors.

You took the words right out of my mouth Duc. I thought that Kate's great appeal-to her fans anyway-is that she is not an aristocrat, that she is the girl-next-door descendant of coal miners? Isn't that what the public, and more pointedly William-wanted? Surely if he'd wanted a true noblewoman he could have married one.

And yet, almost before the ink was dry on the engagement announcement the Middletons were having a Coat-of-Arms and signet rings designed for themselves, and here are some posters eagerly searching for any sign of Royal descent?:cool:

You took the words right out of my mouth Duc. I thought that Kate's great appeal-to her fans anyway-is that she is not an aristocrat, that she is the girl-next-door descendant of coal miners? Isn't that what the public, and more pointedly William-wanted? Surely if he'd wanted a true noblewoman he could have married one.

And yet, almost before the ink was dry on the engagement announcement the Middletons were having a Coat-of-Arms and signet rings designed for themselves, and here are some posters eagerly searching for any sign of Royal descent?:cool:

William wanted Catherine. He has never commented on her genealogy. He rarely comments on his own. The British media(which is mostly owned by aristocrats), is much more snobbish than the BRF. The only way they can justify to themselves that Catherine is worthy of love as if she has a drop of blue blood. As they see it, commoners and complex emotions don't mix. They have a very low opinion of their readership.

As for the Coat-of-Arms, all royal brides are required to get them. Sophie Rhys-Jones had to have one designed too. I read that the signet rings that Carole, Pippa, and James occasionally wear are not Family Crests, but rather the Arms/Silks of the race horse stable that Middleton's have partial ownership in. I know it sounds zany, but as a racing fan I can assure you that horse owners take their position very seriously.

For example, the very pampered horse Tiago is owned by the Moss family. All their premier horses drink Evian water, exclusively.

The genealogy of the British Royals has already been established so they are always going to do the genealogy of the person marrying into especially when that person is going to be Queen and their children future monarchs.

It is always going to be easier to find the more wealthier side of a family since there will be more of paper trail than a poorer side. So the aristocrat will be found but the illiterate laborer not at all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I noticed that on this thread some have said the Duchess of Cambridge is descended from George Washington. This is impossible, George Washington had no children, just two stepchildren, so no one is directly descended from him.

I believe it is something like she is a descendant of the sister of Martha Washington.... or something like that.

What kings or nobles is Kate related to, who Princess Diana is not related to?
I hope this is not off topic.
I know Diana and the Windsors have both brought ancestry from every royal house in Europe.
But what does Catherine bring to the table?

I know Diana and the Windsors have both brought ancestry from every royal house in Europe.

Herself and thats what mattered/s to William

When you think of it, shake anyone's family tree hard enough and a lot of nuts fall out. Its interesting but actually the "bloodline" of a person has no bearing on who the person is. :D

You have to go far back to find any. One of her closest would be the ancestor she shares with Diana, Thomas Fairfax who was a descendent of Edward III.

Through an ancestor of her mother, sir thomas Blackistn Coyner, She is a descendent of Edward IV. They are descended from Edwards bastard daughter Elizabeth with his mistress Elizabeth Lucy. But that family was already related to the windsors before Kate. Thomas' cousin Mary was married into the Bows-Lyon family and is the queen mums ancestress.

Last edited:
(In reply to Osipi's quote)
True that!
Personality is everything!
:)

Last edited:

William didn't marry Kate because of her ancestry. In fact, no British royal has married someone because they brought new ancestors into the mix - some have certainly married because the prospective spouse had the right background or family, but nothing as simple as who their ancestors were.

That said, Kate's mother, Carol, is descended from Edward IV through one of his illegitimate children, Elizabeth FitzRoy in two different lines;

• Carol's mother was Dorothy Harrison
  • Dorothy's father was Thomas Harrison
  • Thomas' father was John Harrison
  • John's mother was Jane Liddell
  • Jane's father was Anthony Liddell
  • Anthony's father was Jane Hardy
  • Jane's mother was Jane Conyers
  • Jane's father was Sir Thomas Conyers, 9th Baronet
  • Thomas' father was Sir Ralph Conyers, 5th Baronet
  • Ralph's father was John Conyers
  • John's father was another John Conyers
  • John's father was Sir John Conyers, 1st Baronet
  • John's father was Christopher Coyners of Horden
  • Christopher's mother was Isabel Lumley
  • Isabel's father was Roger Lumley
  • Roger's mother was Elizabeth FitzRoy
Going back a bit

• Sir John Conyers, 1st Baronet's mother was Anne Hedworth
  • Anne's father was John Hedworth
  • John's mother was Anne Hilton
  • Anne's mother was Sybil Lumley
  • Sybil's mother was Elizabeth FitzRoy
The Queen and Diana's father are also descended from Elizabeth FitzRoy, but through other children of hers.

Kate's father, Michael Middleton, is descended from the Percy's:

• Michael's father was Peter Francis Middleton
  • Peter's mother was Olivia Lupton
  • Olivia's father was Francis Martineau Lupton
  • Francis' mother was Frances Elizabeth Greenhow
  • Frances' mother was Elizabeth Martineau
  • Elizabeth's father was Thomas Martineau
  • Thomas' mother was Sarah Meadows
  • Sarah's father was Philip Meadows
  • Philip's father was Sarah Fairfax
  • Philip's mother was Sarah Fairfax
  • Sarah's father was Benjamin Fairfax
  • Benjamin's father was another Benjamin Fairfax
  • Benjamin's father was John Fairax
  • John's father was William Fairfax
  • William's mother was Anne Gascoigne
  • Anne's mother was Margaret Percy
  • Margaret's father was Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland
Diana's father is descended from Anne Gascoigne through another one of her children, and the Queen is also descended from Henry Percy. Henry's great-grandparents, Ralph de Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland and Joan Beaufort, are also ancestors of the Duke of Edinburgh (through a different line). Joan's father was John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, who is an ancestor of Diana's mother through another one of his children. I believe John of Gaunt is actually the most recent common ancestor of the Queen, the DoE, both of Diana's parents, and both of Kate's parents.

Do Diana, Kate, The Queen & the DoE all have any other common ancestors?

When you think about it, you go far back enough and we all have common ancestors somewhere along the line.

Its an interesting hobby tracing lineages and it sounds like you have been bitten by the genealogy bug. It takes a bit of dedication and willingness to do research but the information is out there if you really want to look for it.

Its also very possible too that if you have any kind of European ancestry in your family, you start digging and you can find that you, yourself may be distantly related to royalty or the aristocracy somewhere.

Do Diana, Kate, The Queen & the DoE all have any other common ancestors?

That's the most recent royal ancestry that Kate has (and as such is the most recent common ancestry with her in-laws) that's been traced.

Of course, all the ancestors of Edward IV or the Percys are in turn ancestors of Kate, Diana, the Queen, and the DoE... Edward IV lived in the 15th century, his ancestry can be traced back about a thousand years, even longer if you really delve into the more mythical ancestry. There's a lot of common ancestors at that point.

There's very likely more royal ancestry in Kate's genealogy, but we'll likely never know it. If you go back far enough you're going to find either noble or royal ancestors, the key is being able to go back far enough. That is actually rather tricky to do if you come from recent common ancestors - the ancestry of "commoners" wasn't as well recorded. I mean, even know it's fairly typical for people to not know their grandparents' parents' names, let alone when and where they were born, or died, or so on - making doing the research rather difficult.

katetree1_2428942b.jpg

Ancestors of the Duchess of Cambridge.
catherine-middleton-family-tree.jpg

Back
Top Bottom