Descendants of Royals of the British Isles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When you say that they're your grandparents, I assume you mean that they're your however many times removed great-grandparents (that or you're among the legions of the undead). What's the line that you descend from?

Also, I don't know anything on the Esteps, but Google seems to have a lot of results. You might also want to check out ancestry.com.

I'm not the expert in my family. I do know that I'm directly descended from king john Who is my grandfather. And Eleanor of Aquitaine who by direct descent is my grandmother. And I'm not exactly sure but my aunt said were related to the Plantagenets. I don't have all the facts however.

Well, a little background knowledge to help clarify some of your royal ancestry.

Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry II of England. Henry was the first king belonging to the royal house known now as the Plantagenets. They had a slew of children, but eventually their youngest son, John, came to the throne. The 800th anniversary of John's death is in a couple of years.

John had 5 legitimate children, of whom 4 had children themselves, from whom you could possibly descend. He also had at least 13 illegitimate children.

I'm not the expert in my family. I do know that I'm directly descended from king john Who is my grandfather. And Eleanor of Aquitaine who by direct descent is my grandmother. And I'm not exactly sure but my aunt said were related to the Plantagenets. I don't have all the facts however.

Yes you would be related to the Plantagenet's if you are a descendant of King John as he himself was a Plantagenet. His mother was Eleanor of Aquitaine and his father Henry II. John was the great-great-grandson of William the Conqueror - William to Henry I to Matilda to Henry II to John. That is the same degree of difference between Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth II.

We know that there are a few million who claim descent from one of the early Edward's (III I think but it might be I) and John was an ancestor of both of them so there are probably even another million or so who can claim descent from John given his legitimate and illegitimate children and the numbers of legitimate and illegitimate children in future generations.

Not at all. I would just like to claim relations to the queen because I love British history and I think it would be an Honor just to say you're a part of that history by being related to the royal family.

I do appreciate all of the help. You all have been so kind! I love talking about this kind of subject and you all have helped clarify a lot!

So my other question is, assuming I'm a legitimate child and a direct descendant of king john. Would that make me a close relation to the queen or is there no point in claiming?

Last edited by a moderator:
So my other question is, assuming I'm a legitimate child and a direct descendant of king john. Would that make me a close relation to the queen or is there no point in claiming?

John died almost 800 years ago. The Queen is his 25x-great-granddaughter (through one of her many lines of descent from him; she descends from 5 of his 18 children).

Mathematically speaking, they've shown that there are likely more living descendants of Edward III than the entire population of Britain. Edward was John's 2x-great-grandson. Furthering that line; mathematically speaking all people in Europe (except those who have recently immigrated to the continent) have a common ancestor living just 600 years ago. Further, every person of European ancestry is descended from 80% of Europeans living just 1000 years ago, while none of the other 20% of Europeans living 1000 years ago have any currently living descendants.

You would be an extremely distant relative of The Queen's - nice to say but not worth contacting her and claiming any sort of relationship.

I have been told my great grandmother sophia was a queen. I guess my great grandfathers name was fredrik, other great grandmother is anna, great great grandmother pauline. What is the best way for me to research this and prove it to be ? Ive never done something like this. Can someone help ?

Sent from my N800 using The Royals Community mobile app

I would start by tracing the line from your great grandmother to you, filling in the names, birth and death dates, and where they lived. Gathering that will help you determine what monarchies and what time period you should be looking at.

Don't you know in which country they lived?

I'm a direct descendant of several UK and European Royal and Noble lines. The only problem is, is that I descend from an illegitimate child; Jane Beaufort, daughter of Cardinal Henry Beaufort.

Last edited:
You know Skydragon, you say most of the claimants are from the US; you forget Canada, particularly Nova Scotia, Canada. I am an legitimate Cousin to Queen Elizabeth 2nd; that I can prove it is also what her ancestors did to my family during their time in power. I perhaps am the only claimant that could legally make a bid for Queen Elizabeth 2nd's throne and probably win in a legal bid, but the problem is She That Sits On The Throne Now Is The Person That Waves Away Claimants.

What can Queen Elizabeth say especially to me and my family???! "Sorry that my ancestors forced your ancestors to flee, we only gave you one choice, flee or be hung." William Brewster 3rd was Second Bailiff Of The Tower Of London and was asked to sign Mary Queen Of Scotts Death Warrent Of Execution as was the First Bailiff Of The Tower Of London. Many more of my ancestors had to make tough choices because of their loyality and duty to the Royal Family, I ask if I make a claim to the Current Throne Of Britain, would it be heard Fairly by the Queen Elizabeth 2nd? I seriously have to doubt that such a claim would be taken seriously....whom is going to Abdicate Queen Elizabeth and I would not even get a chance to rule because there are atleast 4 people in Seccession to The Throne Of England and the UK, while my ancestors blazed a trail helping the Royals, Commoner Cousins Of Royality count for nothing towards the Throne Of The UK....don't they?

Illegitimate Child

I'm a direct descendant of several UK and European Royal and Noble lines. The only problem is, is that I descend from an illegitimate child; Jane Beaufort, daughter of Cardinal Henry Beaufort.

TLJ110166, yes that is the problem most claimants face. In my case I have genealogy to back me up however at the present time there will be none cousins added to the Royal Family that I can foresee simply because the 4 Heirs to the current Throne Of Britain are directly related to Queen Elizabeth 2nd from previous marriages and I do not see any chance for anyone else no matter how directly they are related ever getting to sit on the throne.

Hi Ish, I wonder if I would have a stronger claim than most people replying here? I can trace my family roots of Genealogy right though The MacFergusson Clan of 4 Step Clans, the O'Donellys, MacDarmaids, of course MacFergussons and MacBreheny's.

I can also trace my roots (I was a member of Ancestry.com untill I could not get anymore information on that website) through King William 1st The Great, you see some of my ancestors were Knights that he asked to come with him on his Conquest of Britain, there is a plaque on the wall of a specific church in France that records the names of the Norman Knights that went with King William The Great, 2 of my ancestors though they were from Britain at the time went and helped King William The Great, their names are recorded on that plaque and mentioned in British records in certain archives as well as the Domesday Books. Does this qualifly me to make a claim to Queen Elizabeth 2nds Throne? I also suspect Queen Elizabeth 2nd is also very much aware of my connections as being one of her legal cousins.

You know Skydragon, you say most of the claimants are from the US; you forget Canada, particularly Nova Scotia, Canada. I am an legitimate Cousin to Queen Elizabeth 2nd; that I can prove it is also what her ancestors did to my family during their time in power. I perhaps am the only claimant that could legally make a bid for Queen Elizabeth 2nd's throne and probably win in a legal bid, but the problem is She That Sits On The Throne Now Is The Person That Waves Away Claimants.

What can Queen Elizabeth say especially to me and my family???! "Sorry that my ancestors forced your ancestors to flee, we only gave you one choice, flee or be hung." William Brewster 3rd was Second Bailiff Of The Tower Of London and was asked to sign Mary Queen Of Scotts Death Warrent Of Execution as was the First Bailiff Of The Tower Of London. Many more of my ancestors had to make tough choices because of their loyality and duty to the Royal Family, I ask if I make a claim to the Current Throne Of Britain, would it be heard Fairly by the Queen Elizabeth 2nd? I seriously have to doubt that such a claim would be taken seriously....whom is going to Abdicate Queen Elizabeth and I would not even get a chance to rule because there are atleast 4 people in Seccession to The Throne Of England and the UK, while my ancestors blazed a trail helping the Royals, Commoner Cousins Of Royality count for nothing towards the Throne Of The UK....don't they?

While you have a very fascinating genealogy that reaches far back into the mists of time which I find quite interesting, it may help to remember also that it would not be up to HM to just say "ok.. you win. You're right and the throne is yours".

One thing that serves the line of succession is the Act of Settlement of 1701. It bestowed succession on the Electress Sophia of Hanover and her descendants. It is this alone that determines who is in line for the throne and where they stand in it. Unless you can prove that you are a direct descendant of the Electress Sophia, I think your chances of convincing the monarch and her parliament of your right to reign are rather slim.

More Information

Thanks guys. If I get anymore information I will let you know more details

Hi DrewCrew71. one of my ancestors was Humphrey With The Beard; that was the nickname he had and his last name was Bohun. It was he that went with King William The Great on his conquest of England way back when. Humphrey With The Beard had a couple of sons and my bloodlines follow along those lines. Even so I doubt strongly that those bloodlines can be taken seriously by Queen Elizabeth 2nd, as much as I could expect I might get an invitation to Buckingham Palace or Edenburgh Castle but that would be a limit to the invitations....if even that....which is very doubtful.

I would have to have our Canadian Government declare that my claim was legal, next with the information and a wad of cash I would have to have our own embassador go to the Royal Family and Queen Elizabeth 2nd and present her with the petition....of course after all Canadians had said they wanted me to sit on the throne instead of Queen Elizabeth 2nd; her own proffessional Historians would have to declare that my claim was legally official. Lastly Queen Elizabeth 2nd would have to willingly abdicate the Throne Of Britain and I seriously do not see that happening any time soon, Canada Royal Watchers love their QE2.

I stand corrected Osipi, Skydragon knows what it would take and the 1701 Statute is in play even today. Unless that Statute were overturned there is no one, me or anyone else could make a legalized claim to the Throne Of Queen Elizabeth 2nd, yessss My genealogy does go into the mists of time as some see it as very interesting. I could claim The TriKingship Of Scotland perhaps but sadly it is part of the UK as is Ireland so my claim would be moot and mud. The TriKingship of Scotland Dalraida is long ago dead and buried as were the ambitions of the Scotish Peoples. I would add that King Robert The Bruce seen to that as King Of Scotland, historically if you have ever seen the movie "Braveheart" King Robert The Bruce made sure that while Scotland would be ruled by a king for a time, the Royal Family Ancestors made sure that Scotland and Ireland would remain a part of the UK for a very long time afterward when they conquested both Ireland and Scotland, "The Sad Tale ken to those that see tis The Royals with might and main leashed Scotland and Ireland to the Lions of Britain for woe and time cannot erase that conquest."

:previous:
As has already been stated, succession to the Crown of Great Britain is determined by the Parliament, not by the Sovereign. Thus the Act of Settlement of 1701 states that the Crown will pass to the Electress Sophia of Hanover and the [Protestant] "heirs of her body". Elizabeth II is the undisputed senior heir of the Electress and is thus the rightful, lawful and constitutional Monarch of Great Britain and of those Commonwealth countries where she remains Head of State.

England may have "conquered" Scotland but it was Scotland's royal dynasty which took the English throne on the death of Elizabeth I.

By "King William the Great" I asume you are referring to William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and King of England. There has only been one "the Great" in English/British history, and that is Alfred, King of Wessex then King of All England, who reigned from 871 to 899.

Last edited:
Hi Ish, I wonder if I would have a stronger claim than most people replying here? I can trace my family roots of Genealogy right though The MacFergusson Clan of 4 Step Clans, the O'Donellys, MacDarmaids, of course MacFergussons and MacBreheny's.

I can also trace my roots (I was a member of Ancestry.com untill I could not get anymore information on that website) through King William 1st The Great, you see some of my ancestors were Knights that he asked to come with him on his Conquest of Britain, there is a plaque on the wall of a specific church in France that records the names of the Norman Knights that went with King William The Great, 2 of my ancestors though they were from Britain at the time went and helped King William The Great, their names are recorded on that plaque and mentioned in British records in certain archives as well as the Domesday Books. Does this qualifly me to make a claim to Queen Elizabeth 2nds Throne? I also suspect Queen Elizabeth 2nd is also very much aware of my connections as being one of her legal cousins.

From what I've pieced together in what you've said here and elsewhere on TRF, you're claiming that you can trace your ancestry back to William the Conqueror, that your family was potentially closely related to James I, but were Puritans and thus left England and settled in Plymouth in 1620. Through this connection you believe that you have a claim to the British throne and deserve an apology from Elizabeth II for what happened to your family under James I. Am I correct?

If your familial relationship with Elizabeth II is no closer than the fact that you're descended from a relation of James I, then you're not a legal cousin or close enough of a relation for her to be aware of your connections. There are some 5,00-6,000 living people who descend from Sophia of Hanover, and as such are "cousins" of the Queen, and I really doubt she's aware of most of them.

Even without the Act of Settlement, which puts forth only the descendants of Sophia of Hanover, of whom Elizabeth II is the senior most descendant under male-preferred primogeniture, you don't have a claim to the throne.

James I was the senior most claimant to the throne of Scotland. Once again, according to male-preferred primogeniture, he was the senior most descendant of Robert I, whose rule was cemented by his conquest of Scotland. James I was also the senior most claimant to the throne of England; he was the closest relation of Elizabeth I, he was the senior most living descendant of Henry VII, who himself was both the Lancastrian heir and a conqueror of England, and he was the senior most living descendant of Edward IV, making him the senior most living descendant of both claims from the War of the Roses. The only people who could potentially claim to have a better claim to either throne than James would have to have gone back more than 100 years to claim to be a descendant from Edward IV's younger brother George (for the English throne), or 300 years to claim to be a descendant from one of the other claimants in the Scottish Wars of Independence - both claims which would ignore the fact that James I was descended from the winners of these wars.

As such the only people who could have any kind of claim to the throne of Britain would be descendants of James I, of which there are many. Any one who is a descendant from an earlier monarch has no claim because James I himself was the senior most descendant in his time, making all of his descendants more senior than any descendants of any of his cousins.

In reality, there are at most 2 people who could be considered to have a valid claim to the throne of Britain; Elizabeth II who is the senior most descendant of Sophia of Hanover, who was selected by Parliament to be the legitimate, lawful heir to the throne, and Franz of Bavaria, who is the senior most descendant of James I, but whose ancestors were deposed from ruling by Parliament on the grounds of being unfit to rule.

Unless you are either Elizabeth II or Franz of Bavaria, you have no claim.

Ish, I have gone back 1900 years and cannot go back any further unless certain British Archives want to open their books to me, I AM A PILGRIM OR THE PILGRIM Heir of William BREWSTER THE 3RD. So how much weight does that carry, it was Queen Elizabeth 1st and King JAMES IV that sent my family fleeing, THIS IS HISTORICALLY PROVEN as fact, if one wants to challenge me then QE2 can send me the money and an invitation to come to Edenburgh Castle to talk to her. If Not then I will still tell the truth; I am the only one that can make these claims that I am direct Cousin to QE2 and make them as official as they can get. I also think QE2 has been keeping track of the Brewsters in Nova Scotia, Canada; so why have I not been contacted by her, oddly my father got an document from her long ago about some sort of Jubilee but we did not keep the document and were puzzled why it was sent to us from HER ROYAL MAJESTY.

That is interesting, a number of my ancestors were born near Nottinghamshire, they for the most part were Brewers and very influential before the British recorded their names as Brewsters....that is straight fact. Some were known as Bohuns and Brehons as well, one Bohun was the Sheriff Of Nottingham as my genealogy searches turned up the name, so is Noble Cousins good enough for people, one has to be allowed a position such as Sheriff Of Nottingham by an Royal Family member whom is king or queen at that time. This would be between the 10th to the 11th Century.

That is funny, my ancestor was mentioned in the Pipe Roll #12 I think it was on the Domesday Books, right next to William Stutely, an William Briwere, that is real fact. So how more noble does my family need to be than this? William Brewer was apparently an landowner, William Stutely AKA was a cousin of Robin Hoes-Hode-Hughes. A town in England at the time was called Stukely, so one can assume that William Stutely dropped a few letters in his last name when the Census was recorded. Since I specialize in the Brewster Family and was an member of ancestry.com then such things I am very much aware of.

...I discovered there was an ancestor who was supposedly descended, twice out of wedlock, to King Charles II Stuart...it is a fun bit of family trivia.
I would agree Astartiel, while it is fun finding out there is some royal blood in your veins it is a quite a serious thing when your ancestors were chased out of Britain and you can prove it but few take it seriously even those that should take it very seriously.

You can get a swab DNA test from at least one major genealogy site that I know of and go from there...
Sady, they protect their DNA Closely, Mermaid1962....if you got a little bit of theirs some of their security might look at you being some nutjob terrorist and they would not want that would they? So their protection is a full time job unless your invited to some event that you could collect their DNA and have it legally tested.

Then, if Parliament made the law (about Electress Sophie), they could obviously change it!
Princess Kaimi, most definately but I doubt if they will change that legislation any time soon, do you think they themselves will actually want to name a new Queen or King to the Throne Of Britain even if they tossed out the Hanoverian Succession Rule-Statute? The German Government currently in power and the British Parliment that is currently elected would have to get together and have to agree to change that law that was established. But I doubt seriously if either would.

What does the German government have to do with the British monarch?

Some records I read during the last year or two state that Edgar Aetheling had a child through a marriage in England (forget to whom) and the child, Margaret (probably named for his sister) married as her second husband Thomas de Londonis. Thomas de Londonis was the supposed father of Eschyna de Molle, who married first Sir Robert Croce of Renfewshire and then Walter Fitzallen of Renfrewshire, the first High Steward of Scotland. Eschyna de Molle is listed in some places as daughter of Thomas de Londonis, other places as his wife...possibly both ladies had this name. However, her true father may have been Uchtred de Molle, who married Margaret, daughter of Edgar Aetheling as her first husband.

If this last is true, since I am descended from Eschyna de Molle (presumably the Younger) then I am descended from Edgar Aetheling. Two scholarly sources stated this to be the case when I was rambling about trying to find Eschyna's forebears. The men who stated that Edgar Aetheling had a marriage and a legitimate daughter were respected scholars, but probably in the minority on this issue. I have given up my pursuit of this subject, but this is what I remember of it.

I am just fine with being the grandaughter of the remarkable Eschyna and Sir Robert Croce, her first husband, who gave birth to my ancestor Isabel Croce Pollock, married to Robert Pollock, her immediate neighbor in Renfrewshire. Eschyna had no idea she was going to be the foremother of the Stewart clan. She had ten children by at least three husbands, must have been tough, and is variously reported as having lived to 100 or 90, and dying in Owestry Castle in England.

ETA...I need to add some further research I did do this week. I found the site which discusses the probable existence of Margaret, daughter of Edgar Aetheling, who would have been a direct male line descendant of King Edmond Ironside.

I read the information in more detail, even doing pretty well with the Latin records, which did surprise me my mentioning my ancestor "Robertus de Pollock".

It seems that Utrecht de Molle was the grandfather, not the father, of that Eschyna de Molle who married first Sir Robert Croce (my ancestor) and subsequently married Walter Fitzallen, the first High Steward. So the line seems intact but, as often is the case, generations shift. I will have to continue looking at what is the right name for this Eschyna's mother, the daughter of Margaret Aetheling Lovell de Molle. I believe she was also an Eschyna but I will have to work on it some more. I am more convinced than I was that this story has legs.

:previous: I'm a Pollock Descendant, but I only gotten as far as William Wilson Pollock born 1723 in Ulster who married Mary Torrey. I have John Pollock for William Wilson Pollock's father, but nothing further. Artist Jackson Pollock is my cousin.

A friend says she is descended from English royalty - descended from the Earl of Harwood. Not Harewood, but Harwood - anyone know of this family?

There seems to be no results on the Peerage or Wikipedia, although the Peerage does make reference to a Baron of Harwood, which is a subsidiary of the Earl of Harewood.

Perhaps check Burke's Peerage?

I think we can accept the information about Earl Of Harwood as fact. As I can about my ancestors, one Bohun was an Earl himself and one of his sons was Sherriff of Nottingham; it is amazing what "commoners" could accomplish back in those days. It is a pitty that one cannot regain such titles these days since they were swept away by the nasty business that the Lord Of Skye problems of 1701AD swept under the rug and the QE2 is the only royality that counts, sadly the Dalriata-Alba TriKingship should count for something but does not and has not for 1,800 years. I am hoping I can get some recognition from Clan Donald in the USA as well as being a member of Clan MacDonald in the Annapolis Valley, Kings County, Nova Scotia, Canada since I sent apps forms to Clan Donald and they seem to want to accept me.

Telling others about the legacy of the Breheny-Brewer-Brewster Family is a good thing to do since I have done all that hard Genealogy work for 32years of my life, NOR IS IT A LIE, as some would wish to believe for my ancestors lived and had their own place in British, Canadian and American History and should be remembered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom