Descendants of Queen Victoria

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. Yes, I did. Actually, Queen Emma's first name *was* Adelaide, but she went by "Emma."

her full name was....adelhied emma wilhelmine therese !!.

btw one of queens emma's sisters (elisabeth) , had married prince alaxander of erbach schonburg. his mother marie was a princess of battenburg and two of her brothers married into queen victorias family...
prince louis of battenburg married princess victoria of hesse, a granddaughter of queen victoria. whilst prince henry of battenburg married princess beatrice, the youngest daughter and child of queen victoria....:D

Here is a link that I just found.
I haven't really explored the site yet, but from what I've seen of it it looks like the author of the site has done a lot of work. It also shows who the eldest living descendants are for each generation.

The author of the link is still attempting to keep the details up to date.

Allan Raymond

it may be of interest that there has been 21 marriages between the descendants of the queen !! (as of 1997)
in no particular order.....
1, prince louis ferdinand of prussia / grand duchess kira of russia 1938
2, prince franz wilhelm of prussia / grand duchess maria of russia 1976
3, prince andreas of leinigen / princess alexandra of hanover 1981
4, prinnce georg wilhelm of hanover / princess sophie of greece* 1946
5, king paul I of greece / princess friederike of hanover 1938
6, prince hienrich of prussia / princess irene of hesse 1888
7, prince andrej of yugoslavia* / princess chrisitna of hesse 1956
8, king george II of greece / princess elizabeth of rumania 1921
9, king peter II of yugoslavia / princess alexandra of greece 1944
10, king carol II of rumania / princess helen of greece 1921
11, king juan carlos of spain / princess of sophie of greece 1962
12, king constantine of greece / princess anne marie of denmark 1964
13, prince christoph of hesse / princess sophie of greece* 1930
14, prince philip of greece / queen elizabeth II of great britain 1947
15, prince arthur of connaught / princess (lady) alexandra (duff) 1913
16, prince gottfried of hohenlohe langenburg / princess margartia of greece 1931
17, prince tomislav of yugoslvia / princess margarita of baden 1957
18, grand duke georg of hesse / princess cecilia of greece 1931
19, grand duke ernst of hesse / princess victoria melita of saxe coburg gotha 1894
20, prince andrej of yuogoslavia* / princess kira melita of leiningen 1963
21, prince gustaf adolf of sweden / princess sibylla of saxe coburg gotha 1932
*denotes the same person

http://www.btinternet.com/~allan_raymond/QV_Intermarriages.htm provides some more information.

Allan Raymond

This is just the post I was looking for. In fact, I posted a thread, asking exactly for this kind of information. Thanks! This is a long line.

Not forgetting the legitimate but non-dynastic descendants of British sovereigns (Queen Victoria's numerous FitzClarence cousins and others) and indeed the legitimate or otherwise issue of unions not granted acceptance by order in council decisions.
Despite the very narrow gene pool of German feudal families they have been surprisingly prolific.

Almost all the heirs to the European monarchies were the offspring of Prince Albert and Queen Victoria.Their marriage was pivotal to the spreadof the family’s influence over Europe.

Yes, you are correct. The Belgian royals do descend from Queen Victoria's uncle Leopold who was the first king (Leopold I). And of course, there are many former German duchies, principalities, etc. whose current royals descend from Victoria. An example is Prince Ernst of Hanover, Princess Caroline of Monaco's husband. His grandmother was Kaiser Wilhelm II's daughter and Kaiser Wilhelm II was Queen Victoria's grandson.
Don't forget that Queen Victoria's husband Albert is the second son of a small German dukedom. So, it's no surprise that these royals are descendants.

Last edited by a moderator:
And don't forget that Christian IX of Denmark was the Grandfather of Europe. He, like Victoria, has many descendants on the thrones of Europe.

And don't forget that Christian IX of Denmark was the Grandfather of Europe. He, like Victoria, has many descendants on the thrones of Europe.

I wonder what would have happened if he was successful in seeking the hand of Queen Victoria or if she fell in love with him instead of Prince Albert. All European monarchies would probably be relatives.

:previous:
Well, in this case I'm pretty sure that he would not have become King of Denmark, a personal union of UK and Denmark was rather unlikely; and of course, Victoria's son would nothave married Christian's daughter.
Anyway, all European monarchs are already all relatives.

Further back than that Wymanda!
Prince Leopold, 1st King of the Belgians and Prince Albert's father Duke Ernst I of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha were brothers, so the common ancestors in this line of descent are their parents: Franz, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (1750-1806) and Countess Auguste of Reuss-Lobenstein und Ebersdorf (1757-1831).
Descendents other than those of Queen Victoria include the monarchs and de juré monarchs of Belgium, Bulgaria, France (Bonaparte), Italy and Luxembourg.

So there are still monarchs out there who are not related to Queen Victoria? It really amazes me that most of the European monarchies are descendants of Queen Victoria and marrying each other.

I first got interested in royalty about 27 years ago when I read "Jennie," the biography of Winston Churchill's mother. In that book I met Edward VII and his family. Shortly thereafter, I started figuring just which royals were related to each other. Needless to say, they are all related. I thought a thread about Queen Victoria's descendants would fit in nicely here.

I'm looking forward to questions, answers, and discussions on this topic. :)

You can also check out the Richard Sotnick's book "The Coburg Conspiracy" due to be released this month. It's very informative for those not yet familiar with the rise of the Coburg family and how they acquired thrones, which clearly helped their social standing at the beginning of the 19th century.

So there are still monarchs out there who are not related to Queen Victoria? It really amazes me that most of the European monarchies are descendants of Queen Victoria and marrying each other.

Probably. But, the british royal family is tangled with intermarriages. A lot of the royal couples nowadays share some parts of their family heritage.

But, the question also is, how sure are we that Queen Victoria and her husband are related? Weren't there rumors of their paternities?

But, the question also is, how sure are we that Queen Victoria and her husband are related? Weren't there rumors of their paternities?

Rumors surrounding Prince Albert's paternity is one of conspiracies presented in Richard Sotnick's book "The Coburg Conspiray". The book presents two possibilities of his paternity, 1) a certain Friedrich Blum, who was servant in the ducal household, and 2) Leopold I of Belgium, his uncle.

The first possibility is based on the "family history of the Blums" and the similarities in physical appearance in Blum's descendants. The second possibility is based on a journal entry of the Louise stating that she and Leopold were inseparable. This supposedly happened during the conception of Albert.

On Queen Victoria's paternity, other sources say a certain John Conroy was her father. He was her mother's private secretary and household comptroller; who was also an Irish soldier.

I think Christian IX was known as the "Father-In-Law of Europe," not the Grandfather.

Christian IX (1818–1906) was the father of:
Alexandra of Denmark, who married King Edward VII of the United Kingdom
Frederick VIII of Denmark
His son became King Haakon VII of Norway
George I of Greece
Maria Feodorovna (Dagmar of Denmark), who married Czar Alexander III of Russia
Thyra of Denmark, who married Ernest Augustus, Crown Prince of Hanover

Christian IX is also the grandfather of Nicholas II of Russia, Haakon VII of Norway & Queen Maud of Norway (they married as first cousins), Christian X of Denmark, George V of Great Britain, and Constantine I of Greece.

I think it's through Christian IX that the Greek Royal Family can call themselves "of Denmark." At first I thought it was because the current generation are children of Queen Anne-Marie, but then I read more about it and discovered Christian IX.

Haakon VII was his grandson, not his son.

I would say he was not only the father/father-in-law of Europe for one generation, but also the grandfather of Europe for the next.

Christian had 6 children

- Frederik VIII
- Queen Alexandra of UK
- George I of Greece
- Marie Feodorovna, Empress of Russia
- Thyra, Duchess of Cumberland and Teviotdale.
- Prince Valdemar

He had 39 grandchildren.

The Victorian lineage.

I'm interested into QV's children, her grandchildren with their family and the great-grandchildren with their family.
I've been reading and studying it for years.
My pref ones are Queen Alexandra, Princess Toria of Wales and the last Empress of Russia, Alix.

Queen Victoria sure had some interesting grandchildren and great grandchildren because some grandchildren included
Kaiser Wilhelm II
Tsarina Alexandra of Russia
Queen Marie of Romania
King george v of England
Queen maud of Norway
Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain
Victoria Melita
They all led interesting lives that may have included scandal and affairs and her great grandchildren were the parents if the present monarchs of Europe who are just as interesting as their parents.

If you are a decencent of queen Victoria docent that make you in line to the throne of England ?

Royal Family Connections

I am new here, and hope that someone will be able to help me. Please forgive me if what i have to say has been said already.

I was wondering does anyone know of a website that would allow a person to check out any connections there is between the British Royal families, and the other Royal families around europe.

My knowledge of the Royal Family in the UK is rather small, and am only learning since the queen visited Ireland. I know for example, through her husband there is a connection between the UK and is it Greece or Denmark. Are the families connected to other nations.

As long as you aren't Catholic and/or married to a Catholic and as long as your parents were married when you were born and you aren't adopted, yes.

My dear cmkrcwi,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I think you cannot marry a Catholic without renouncing your right to the succession. If you marry, and your spouse later becomes a Catholic, then I think you still maintain the right to succeed to the throne.

You don't have to renounce anything. The ban on RC only applies to the monarch so it has no affect on anyone until they are to be the monarch e.g. if Charles is a closet RC then there is nothing affecting him at the moment but the instant he would become King he would then be excluded.

No letters or notices have to be given on marrying a RC or on converting to RC.

Many European royals today are tall to very tall - think Infanta Cristina of Spain, and her brother, the Prince of Asterias. HM Queen Victoria was said to be under 5 feet tall. Was she an exception to 'the rule?'
As Cristina and her bro are descendants of HM Queen Victoria, as are many other royals in Europe, did tallness began with HM's offspring? Were HM's, who is known as the mother of royalty in Europe, children of varying heights? Was HM Christian IX of Denmark, who is considered the grandfather of European royalty, a tall man? Are is tallness in royals basically a given? IK HM QEII is only 5' 4", but her mother, the late Queen Mum, was shorter than her elder daughter. Any answers?

I don't know about other royal houses but from seeing all the wedding gowns of Victoria, Alexandra, Mary, The Queen Mum and The Queen in the same room in 2002 it is obvious just how short Victoria was but it also seems that Alexandra was somewhat taller.

Aren't also people generally taller these days than they were in the 19th century? That might have been true about royals as well.

Unknown person - picture ID

who can help me to identify the person on the picture?
Presumably a descendant of the Queen Victoria!

Attachments

• Unknown person.jpg
    Unknown person.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 515
Vicky2010 said:

Could it possibly be Queen Victoria's cousin victorie?

It could be Marie,Duchess of Coburg,Victoria's daughter in law...

Any version of the whole painting to be sure?

Back
Top Bottom