American Ancestors of William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pranter

Imperial Majesty
City
Midwest
Country
United States
Million Dollar American Princesses: Wedding of the Century | Smithsonian Channel

There's a new show on the Smithsonian Channel called Million Dollar American Princesses that deals with the various marriages of wealthy American girls into British nobility/titled families.

Last night they had Charles (Earl Spencer) on because they profiled his great great grandmother (American) Frances Work. Who would also be 3 times great grandmother to William/Harry.

What caught my attention were the pictures shown of the Work family and the resemblence to the boys and Diana herself. I had not seen this pictures before and thought I would mention it here to see if anyone else caught the show or had seen the pictures?

LaRae

I caught the show and noticed a strong resemblance between Diana and Frances Work. The history was very interesting about Frances' father paying for the divorce with some really big stipulations.

I had to look at the pic twice...it really did resemble Diana. Then I saw the pic of the males in line..very much like William.

The terms of the divorce were very harsh, however it was interesting that for all his trouble at keeping (rather trying to keep) the children out of Europe they all ended up back here and what he must think if he knows a descendant of his is in line for the throne of England!

LaRae

I like the fact that Frances' divorce lawyer was Thomas F. Bayard, a former United States Secretary of State. Nothing but the very best in the matters of divorce.

I don't have The Smithsonian Channel in my cable package but I would love to watch this series.

It costs me 4.99 a month for Smithsonian channel and a few others ...right now they have a deal going for 3 months free for this add on to our package so I added it just to see this series.

LaRae

I don't have The Smithsonian Channel in my cable package but I would love to watch this series.

I don't have the channel either but I would love to see this series. Perhaps I'll give my provider a call and see what I can do. I would hate to add to what I'm currently paying but this is the first thing I've noticed on the Smithsonian Channel that interested me. I've always loved reading about these rich, young American women who went to Europe and married a poor aristo. Many of these young women were not accepted into American society and their ambitious mothers solved that problem by buying them a title. I might have talked myself into calling my provider tomorrow morning.:ROFLMAO:

I don't have the channel either but I would love to see this series. Perhaps I'll give my provider a call and see what I can do. I would hate to add to what I'm currently paying but this is the first thing I've noticed on the Smithsonian Channel that interested me. I've always loved reading about these rich, young American women who went to Europe and married a poor aristo. Many of these young women were not accepted into American society and their ambitious mothers solved that problem by buying them a title. I might have talked myself into calling my provider tomorrow morning.:ROFLMAO:

Oh, I didn't know that. People being rich but not being accepted, that must of been east coast areas. The history might of touched in the south a little. Might be worth watching.

Yes they were considered the Nouveau Rich and not at all accepted by the 'old money' families of the upper East Coast.

You could probably have found that in the South too, pre-civil war.

LaRae

Oh, I didn't know that. People being rich but not being accepted, that must of been east coast areas. The history might of touched in the south a little. Might be worth watching.

It was very much the case in the so-called "Gilded Age" in the late 1800s-to before WW1. And, yes, it was mostly in the Eastern U.S.

By the way, I did sign up for the Smithsonian Channel and, as it turned out, my bill WENT DOWN by $15/month. Crazy but true.:lol: The series was short but really very good. Some of those girls had really unhappy lives but they saved the family home and they were called Lady and their children were the top of the pile.

It was very much the case in the so-called "Gilded Age" in the late 1800s-to before WW1. And, yes, it was mostly in the Eastern U.S.

By the way, I did sign up for the Smithsonian Channel and, as it turned out, my bill WENT DOWN by $15/month. Crazy but true.:lol: The series was short but really very good. Some of those girls had really unhappy lives but they saved the family home and they were called Lady and their children were the top of the pile.

I hear you about the bill...it's crazy ...we call every now and then to see what's the best option. Most people don't even think about doing it.

LaRae

You will find that most of the large houses that still exist had an American in its past. Blenheim, Chadsworth, Althorp, Highclere. They looked down on the Americans, but they did cash the checks.

Wiki says Diana's American roots come from her great-grandmother Frances Ellen Work, daughter of wealthy American stockbroker Franklin H. Work from Ohio, who was married to her great-grandfather James Roche, 3rd Baron Fermoy.[242]

You will find that most of the large houses that still exist had an American in its past. Blenheim, Chadsworth, Althorp, Highclere. They looked down on the Americans, but they did cash the checks.

Not necessarily did they look down on them.

As far as Francis Ellen Work, who was related to Diana, she was just living her version of the American Dream back in the early 1900's. In her day she saw the civil war end, yeah, they had some money, her father was a stock broker, her husband a member of English parliament with Irish Peerage, but in America in those days, when divorce really wasn't considered proper, she divorced, but her husband was a deserter, so it couldn't be helped, later he went on and succeeded to barony. She later got with a riding instructor who her father threatened to disinherit her over, so she divorced and lived until she was 89. What exactly does that have to do with American influence in England?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think padams statement "They looked down on the Americans, but they did cash the checks." was meant to imply that although some of the grand houses of the UK flourished because of the infusion of American money, American socialites and what not that married into the British aristocracy were sometimes looked down upon as not being in the same "class". American history or whatnot has absolutely no bearing on any of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think padams statement "They looked down on the Americans, but they did cash the checks." was meant to imply that although some of the grand houses of the UK flourished because of the infusion of American money, American socialites and what not that married into the British aristocracy were sometimes looked down upon as not being in the same "class". American history or whatnot has absolutely no bearing on any of this.

Are you British Osipi? Thanks for clarifying. You realize I am American, don't you Osipi? Did it ever occur to you that I am trying to learn something about British History? Back to your comment. Here are my questions for you then: How can American History have no bearing on that if American Money was the reason the British Houses flourished? You were a moderator, correct me if I am wrong, so moderator, can you explain the houses? Oh and moderator can you tell me what Historic Belnheim house has to do with British aristocracy? It was mentioned in previous comment. Belnheim is in America, not England. Unless of course and I just found this http://www.blenheimpalace.com/ , earlier today it didn't come up in search, this is the first time I have learned anything about it and I am assuming the poster meant this one, the poster meant that. Try clarifying a little easier instead of telling me I have no bearing, but you are however somewhat correct. Explain the money and status thing if you can or tell me what to look up that pertains.

Last edited:
Are you British Osipi? Thanks for clarifying. You realize I am American, don't you Osipi? Back to your comment. Here are my questions for you then: How can American History have no bearing on that if American Money was the reason the British Houses flourished? You were a moderator, correct me if I am wrong, so moderator, can you explain the houses? Oh and moderator can you tell me what Historic Belnheim house has to do with British aristocracy? It was mentioned in previous comment. Belnheim is in America, not England. Unless of course and I just found this after searching earlier, Discover Blenheim Palace for an inspiring day out , and I am assuming the poster meant this one, the poster meant that. Try clarifying a little easier instead of telling me I have no bearing.

First off, I am *not* part of the moderation team here but just another American interested in royalty and the British royal family.

My point about the American history was not to say that it wasn't important but that it really is kind of off topic as the thread is about Prince Harry's American ancestry. I know its quite easy to go off track and talk about things that have nothing really to do with the subject at hand and to be honest, I've found myself being guilty of that myself.

Our moderators do work hard here to keep things running on an even keel and the threads pertinent to the subject matter. If you feel in any way I've offended you, my profuse apology as it was not my intention to do so.

Just did a wee bit of checking and I believe the Bleheim Castle that was being referenced to actually is in Oxforshire in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace

Last edited:
First off, I am *not* part of the moderation team here but just another American interested in royalty and the British royal family.

My point about the American history was not to say that it wasn't important but that it really is kind of off topic as the thread is about Prince Harry's American ancestry. I know its quite easy to go off track and talk about things that have nothing really to do with the subject at hand and to be honest, I've found myself being guilty of that myself.

Our moderators do work hard here to keep things running on an even keel and the threads pertinent to the subject matter. If you feel in any way I've offended you, my profuse apology as it was not my intention to do so.

Just did a wee bit of checking and I believe the Bleheim Castle that was being referenced to actually is in Oxforshire in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace

Ok thanks, oh it's alright, but it did pertain with what I was trying to learn, the lifetime of Francis Work who was related to Diana and then considering how Blenheim was mentioned, I went off into that history trying to figure out how exactly Blenheim in America had anything to do with it. Blenheim has to do with the celebration of the victory over the French in the Spanish Succession War and a castle off in Europe and had nothing to do with American History, I was all off into, really, so, no, the post did look a little drawn out and it had me wondering. I am just glad someone answered my question. I didn't think to put Palace behind my search and since the thread was about American roots for the princes, I was looking to see going further off into it trying to find out.

I never know how to take people on forums. I do appreciate how polite you are. Learning is really all I have to do and I get particularly sensitive during the process and can take people wrong while getting defensive. I am sorry you had to apologize.

But someone on the forum wanted to know American ancestry of the two and some tv show sparked their interest and I was curious so I looked it up.

There is just so much entertainment in learning this British history. I see what you mean by the social classes, there is a pretty big bunch of history on how they clashed.

Last edited:
I believe they are long distant cousins to US General/Sec of State Colin Powell from their mother's side.

Back
Top Bottom