Wedding Gown Trains

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uriel

Commoner
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Hi, I'm new to the forum!

I've a question, is there any regulation for the length of the wedding gown? For example, how many yards for crown princess? and for princess?

Hi uriel and welcome to the forums. :)

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!

Danielle said:
Hi uriel and welcome to the forums. :)

That's an interesting question. I might be wrong, but I don't think there are any regulations in regard to how much material is used. Each design is different and requires a different amount of material so I don't think they can say 'x yards for Crown Princesses and y yards for princesses, etc'.

I don't know if it's a 'rule', but most of the royal brides wear floor-length gowns just because the weddings are normally very formal. Shorter dresses (i.e. above the ankle) are normally for weddings that are less formal. A lot of brides have a train so it would be kind of weird if you had one with a shorter dress. Hope this helps!

Hi Danielle, thank you for your answer!

I know that almost all of royal brides have a long train. So is there any rules for the length of the train? or the train can be as long as you like?

Lengths of the wedding gown trains

Does anyone know: How long are the wedding gown trains of the royal brides?

Only that Dianas was 25 feet long. And I thought it was beautful!:wub:

I can't find an exact length for Princess Mabel's gown by Viktor & Rolf, but from pictures it looks to be 5 to six feet? Hard to tell with the bows.

I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.

The Danish Crown Prince couple website had the details about the dress on it (a while ago), I'll have a look principessa.

Principessa, this is the Wedding page from the official website; and this is the page for the gown.
It says that the train was 6m long measured from the waste, and was made of 23.5 metres of duchess satin.

Christine's Royalty.net has a page for Mette Marit's wedding gown (here) - it says that:

"...the skirt is flared with a two metre long train..."

According to BBC News Maxima's wedding gown was:

"...an ivory-coloured silk gown made by Valentino couture with a five-metre lace train, carrying a bouquet of white roses."

I'm sorry I haven't found a length for letizia's train. I'm not surprised given it's shape.

This is the best I could do (From BBC News):

Ms Ortiz's bridal gown, created by veteran Spanish designer Manuel Pertegaz, had a tightly fitting bodice with a turned-up collar and a sweeping skirt and train.

I hope this has helped you, principessa!

I've always wanted someone to explain to me what the prestige is of these super long trains. Personally, I think they look ridiculous and sometimes downright ugly. Mary of Denmark dragged this ugly blanket of plain fabric behind her that seemed to have little to do with the rest of the dress. What does it prove? We already know they have lots of money - a few more yards of silk can't be that big a deal.

It's not that I dislike trains in general. The picture of Princess Grace at the "Royal Wedding Gowns" site linked above shows a train fanned out behind her in perfect proportion to the rest of the dress.

I just don't understand why so many people are impressed just because a piece of fabric is 20 feet long instead of 15.

The purpose of a train on a Royal wedding gown-I think-is to add scope and majesty to what would otherwise be an ordinary gown. Also most Royal weddings take place in enormous cathedrals or churches. A train added to a gown is needed to "fill out" empty space. In medieval times, the longer the train attached to a lady's gown the higher her status was. Commoner women did not have trains, it was the prerogative of a noblewoman only.

How long is Mette-Merrit's veil in feet?

Thanks Marmi, the Truth et all;

Principessa, this is the Wedding page from the official website; and this is the page for the gown.
It says that the train was 6m long measured from the waste, and was made of 23.5 metres of duchess satin.

I enjoyed the pictures, thanks Ladies. I love the long Royal trains as they are so beautiful and Regal; I feel they are an essential part of a Royal Wedding, although I must say that some of the trains were indeed out of proportion with the Gowns they supposed to belong with. This was because mostly of the shape of the train rather than the length. I do feel the train should be a part of the Gown as in being in harmony with the rest of the Gown. :flowers:

Angelique :angel:

Beautiful.......

Mette-Marit's train was the prettiest one, IMO.
It looked like swan-wings.
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/6522/mettemarit0qg.jpg
originally posted by Alexandria

It was unusual that the veil was actually longer then the train. It looked stunning.

I agree, it was really Gorgeous....quite delicate, Angelic and really elegant. This style would not be for everyone though. And that was the skill of the designer, as this Gown was just really perfect for Mette-Marit ......
And yes, the veil was amazing too......:angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen Fabiola's ermine lined train was 20 feet long.

Princess Grace looked absolutely stunning in her gown. What a beautiful design to complement her royal face. However, in the grouping of the more modern royal brides I think Mette Marit's gown was magnificant in its simplicity.

The Fabiola gowned screamed..HERE IS A QUEEN. It was truly regal. TIME Magazine reported that she almost tripped over the massive train several times during the four hour long wedding ceremonies.

I think she should have had older bridesmaids who could handle such a sumptuous veil and train, except all her attendants were little children.

It was a magnificent wedding though.

Yes, the pictures show a beautiful dress. A very elegant bride.

Fabiola....

The Fabiola gowned screamed..HERE IS A QUEEN. It was truly regal. TIME Magazine reported that she almost tripped over the massive train several times during the four hour long wedding ceremonies.

I think she should have had older bridesmaids who could handle such a sumptuous veil and train, except all her attendants were little children.

It was a magnificent wedding though.

Yes, it was definitely very Regal....:crown5: I LOVE the train, although it could have been more circular which would have made it more elegant. And you are right CaliforniaDreaming, Fabiola would have been better served by real bridesmaids who would have known how to attend on Her.....as it was, Fabiola struggled somewhat. :ermm:
Angelique:angel:

Back
Top Bottom