Wedding Gown Trains

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Grace looked absolutely stunning in her gown. What a beautiful design to complement her royal face. However, in the grouping of the more modern royal brides I think Mette Marit's gown was magnificant in its simplicity.

I could not agree more....Grace looked Divine in what was for Her at that time simply a Divine Gown. But then most Fashions in the 50's were really beautiful and elegant.....
And Mette-Marit's Gown was indeed just right for Her. Very graceful and Elegant; yet simple and stunning..... But personally, I still prefer somewhat more sumptuous and Regal Designs.........:rolleyes:

A:angel:

The Fabiola gowned screamed..HERE IS A QUEEN. It was truly regal. TIME Magazine reported that she almost tripped over the massive train several times during the four hour long wedding ceremonies.

I think she should have had older bridesmaids who could handle such a sumptuous veil and train, except all her attendants were little children.

It was a magnificent wedding though.

Four hour wedding ceremony???? Wow! The train was massive. She definitely should have had older children help her attendants with the dress.

Well, Fabiola was one of the few women in recent history to marry an actual King, not just someone who was in line of succession.
She went through the four hour wedding ceremony on an empty stomach, so maybe that also explains why she tripped now and then. She even for a moment nearly fainted in church, and the ever attentive Boudewijn gave her some smelling salts so she could recover.
I read somewhere she had practised walking around in that dress for a whole day. It was a Balenciaga, btw.

Thank you, Lady Leana. This is so interesting to me. I really admire her strength! I don't know if I could make it through something like that (although, the thought of marrying a king is an awfully strong motivator).

Well, Fabiola was one of the few women in recent history to marry an actual King, not just someone who was in line of succession.
She went through the four hour wedding ceremony on an empty stomach, so maybe that also explains why she tripped now and then. She even for a moment nearly fainted in church, and the ever attentive Boudewijn gave her some smelling salts so she could recover.
I read somewhere she had practised walking around in that dress for a whole day. It was a Balenciaga, btw.

Yes, it was a four hour ordeal and one of her biographers reported that the poor thing spent much of the night before the wedding on her knees in prayer, and she was also fasting. I don't think that was a good idea at all because on the morning of the day she was a nervous wreck and it showed. She came close to tears several times.

Her magnificent fit-for-a Queen wedding gown is now on display at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid, and it has yellowed to a soft ivory color over time but it is still breathtaking to behold. I saw a photo of it recently.

Thank you, Lady Leana. This is so interesting to me. I really admire her strength! I don't know if I could make it through something like that (although, the thought of marrying a king is an awfully strong motivator).

Actually, she must have loved him and not his throne... I believe she refused him twice before finally accepting, after a visit to Lourdes. But that's really info for another thread...
She was (still is, actually) a very devout Catholic, and believed she had to receive the Eucharist on an empty stomach.

One of the reasons for the four hour duration of the ceremony was the number of guests which had to travel from the Brussels Palace to the Cathedral. It took ages before everyone had their places in church. But again, that is something for another thread.

CP Mathilde's train was also considerable, and very elegant and beautiful. I've no idea how long exactly though.
She also had difficulty walking. :rolleyes:

Actually, she must have loved him and not his throne... I believe she refused him twice before finally accepting, after a visit to Lourdes. But that's really info for another thread...
She was (still is, actually) a very devout Catholic, and believed she had to receive the Eucharist on an empty stomach.

One of the reasons for the four hour duration of the ceremony was the number of guests which had to travel from the Brussels Palace to the Cathedral. It took ages before everyone had their places in church. But again, that is something for another thread.

CP Mathilde's train was also considerable, and very elegant and beautiful. I've no idea how long exactly though.

The length of the wedding is due to the fact that there were actually TWO ceremonies...the civil vows in the Throne Room of the Palace of Brussels, and then the High Mass at the Cathedral directly afterward...there was an enormous Papal delegation present with speeches and special prayers, etc. They ran behind schedule with the long cortege, which is why there was no group photo of all the foreign Royalty present like there normally would have been.

It was all very lavish and very, very "Royal" indeed. There are fascinating photos and even a video of it in the Baudouin/Fabiola wedding thread.

I have not really had a good look at Mathilde's train...photos mostly show her lovely face but I haven't seen many of the train of her gown-which I admit I didn't care for. But she has the face of an angel so who cares, right?

Thanks for the heads up...I will try to see if I can find photos of Mathilde's train.

Now This wedding is a true "Fairy Tale", in my very humble opinion. I know that this comment has nothing to do with train lengths, but is it just so romantic and filled with love and devotion between two people that just happen to be royal. And after all of the pomp and circumstance, money, jewels, they were unable to have children.

My aplologies if my comment is out of order, but their story has always moved me.

My post was obviously, about Queen Fabiola and King Baudoin and Their wedding and love affair. My typing isn't as fast as the rest of the posters....

Now This wedding is a true "Fairy Tale", in my very humble opinion. I know that this comment has nothing to do with train lengths, but is it just so romantic and filled with love and devotion between two people that just happen to be royal. And after all of the pomp and circumstance, money, jewels, they were unable to have children.

My aplologies if my comment is out of order, but their story has always moved me.

You are not the only one. The first time I "discovered" them on these very Forums a year ago, I was moved to tears.

A beautiful, beautiful love story. Except for the inability to have children, it appeared straight out of a fairy tale from beginning to end...they are and always will be my ideal couple, Royal or otherwise.

I just 'discovered' them through this forum and after reading their story, I too, was moved to tears. Even the ending was from a fairy tale in that it was so tragic and yet, so very real...
Thank you for answering me.

Her magnificent fit-for-a Queen wedding gown is now on display at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid, and it has yellowed to a soft ivory color over time but it is still breathtaking to behold. I saw a photo of it recently.

Could you remember where you saw the Photo...? I would love to see it if possible...... Thanks:flowers:

Angelique :angel:

Yes, you are so right LadyLeana, theirs was truly a beautiful Love. Even next door in Holland, where I hail from, they were admired and loved. Fabiola was dignified and yet beautifully humble with it......and very Graceful. A true Queen.... They were both obviously very much in Love, and it showed......(PS: Why would one marry anyone just for a Throne...?)

Her Train is lovely too, but nowhere as imposing and beautiful as Fabiola's I think. It falls too narrow at the front as well...... But She does have a lovely smile! :flowers:

Actually, I am happy you made that post about their Love, as that saved me doing it. And perhaps in a way it is apropos anyway, because when the Love is SO beautiful one would love the Bride to be even more radiant and beautiful....:wub:

Princess Diana's wedding dress train was the longest in royal wedding history but who had the one at 23 ft long, the longest before Diana's dress was made?

It says in some of my royal wedding books that Princess Alexandra of Kent's wedding dress train was 20' long but looking at the pics, it doesn't look anything like as long as that. I've also seen in a library book that the train that she wore at her wedding was the same one that her mother, Princess Marina of Greece wore when she got married back in November 1934.

Princess Diana's wedding dress train was the longest in royal wedding history but who had the one at 23 ft long, the longest before Diana's dress was made?

It says in some of my royal wedding books that Princess Alexandra of Kent's wedding dress train was 20' long but looking at the pics, it doesn't look anything like as long as that. I've also seen in a library book that the train that she wore at her wedding was the same one that her mother, Princess Marina of Greece wore when she got married back in November 1934.

I cannot imagine who would have decided on having a 23' long train - they may as well have gone for 22' or 24', and I am intrigued to know how does the dress designer decide on the length!?

I posted an explanation of Princess Alexandra's dress in her wedding thread in answer to your question there. However, if you check out the website for British Pathe News and do a search for "A spring wedding" or the royal wedding 1963, you will be able to see footage of her wedding. You will see that her dress sparkles with the gold sequins sown underneath the first layer of material. On her arrival at the Abbey, the newscaster/voice over in a very posh BBC voice states something along the lines of "now getting out of a car is not always easy, especially if you are bride and your train is 20 feet long". There are images of her walking down the aisle in both directions and you will be able to see her dress from a proper perspective and it was very long indeed. You will also notice that she walked incredibly slowly and looked very regal. Having signed the register, there was a problem with the train as it caught on a rather large candlestick next to the alter - her chief bridesmaid Princess Anne appeared to do little to alleviate the problem! Finally, I have to add that when Alexandra was taking her vows, her voice was absolutely beautiful and very regal! Good luck!

I think the inclusion of a train on a wedding dress might have something to do with if the wedding is televised - to give the bride/dress some kind of visibility?

But what's the starting point for measuring the length of the train? The hem of the skirt? The point of attachment (waist, shoulders, etc.)?

I think the inclusion of a train on a wedding dress might have something to do with if the wedding is televised - to give the bride/dress some kind os visibility?

But what's the starting point for measuring the length of the train? The hem of the skirt? The point of attachment (waist, shoulders, etc.)?

This is something that's intrigued me for some time, especially as I make all my evening dresses with very full skirts that flow back into trains. Not massive big ones, of course!

I think the inclusion of a train on a wedding dress might have something to do with if the wedding is televised - to give the bride/dress some kind os visibility?

Unless there are certain protocols to be adhered to in terms of royal rank, I assume it is up to the bride and dress designer to decide upon the grandeur of the dress. It is likely that the design and style of the gown would indicate the optimum length of train, veil etc. Would Princess Anne's dress have looked beter with a longer train? Would Princess Diana's dress have looked less impressive with a shorter train? Princess Letizia's gown was cut in one length of cloth (i.e. the skirt and train were one piece of material) - as such, the length of material would have had to be limited so as to avoid overall drag, which would have made the front of the skirt ride up. Her gown had a shorter train, but looked just as grand as if she had 25 feet of badly cut and shaped material floating behind her. 25 feet at first glance would be a grand jesture to the occassion, but cutting it back to say 15 feet and gathering it into a fan shape may in fact suit the overall effect better.

The starting point in measuring the train length would I am sure be from the point of attachment or in the case of Letizia from either the hemline or the back of the waist.

These days train length for royal brides seems to have stuck to 3 or 4 meters for lesser princesses and 5 and 6 meters for crown princessses. Gone are the days of arbitrary lengths such as 10', 12', 15', 17.5', 18', 20' 21', 25' and the odd 23'!

I think visibility was the reason they gave for Diana's extra-long train. St. Paul's was so vast that if she didn't have a very grand dress, she would have been lost in that space.

But IMO her train was extreme and must have been terribly uncomfortable. Although I still like her dress (not that it would look good on me.)

I thought it very interesting that in the Emanuel's book 'A Dress for Diana' they said that they received no instructions, suggestions or guidance of any kind from the Palace. For example page 52 "we knew that the dress we would create for her would also need to be grand enough to be a part of history. The prospect of designing the gown, though exciting, was also quite daunting. We didn't have any experience designing royal wedding dresses. The extraordinary thing was that we were not given any restrictions by the Palace. There was no protocol. There wasn't even anything to say that the dress had to be white."

I remember that quote from the Emmanuel's book and it Was interesting. For having no help from the palace I thought they did an extraordinary job of creating an unforgettable gown for both the event and the Cathedral. Certainly, no-one but Diana could have worn it.... and looked as she did.

Quote: "I've also seen in a library book that the train that she wore at her wedding was the same one that her mother, Princess Marina of Greece wore when she got married back in November 1934"

The design for Princess Alexandra's wedding dress was based around a piece of lace that her Greek grandmother, Princess Nicolas, wore and also - apparently - a piece of lace from Princess Marina's dress (although I thought Marina's dress was made of brocaded lame). The entire gown was made from newly woven layers of lace and organdie with the exception of the lace edging of the veil which came from her grandmother (or Marina).

...Fabiola would have been better served by real bridesmaids who would have known how to attend on Her.....as it was, Fabiola struggled somewhat. :ermm:
Angelique:angel:
It's different in Europe. I was married in England and had bridesmaids and pages who were under 14...it's just tradition. Look back at all the royal weddings and you'll see nothing but children as attendants.

I think the inclusion of a train on a wedding dress might have something to do with if the wedding is televised - to give the bride/dress some kind of visibility?

Well, certainly it looks more Regally elegant and Majestic:crown5:, especially on TV!:)However, it is my understanding that the length of Royal trains had a lot to do with the standing and title of the particular Royal Lady wearing the Gown. Certainly, in Imperial Russia the Tsarina/Empress had the longest train and Ladies of lower standing had to make do with shorter trains. The Empress also had a prescribed number of train maids/bearers and other ladies had fewer. It was all according to Imperial Protocol. At the Austrian Imperial Court there were similar Protocol arrangements.
Personally, I feel that a Royal Bride should have a suitably long and Grand Royal train. Besides, a Royal train on a Wedding Dress is Gorgeous.
:angel:

It's different in Europe. I was married in England and had bridesmaids and pages who were under 14...it's just tradition. Look back at all the royal weddings and you'll see nothing but children as attendants.

You're quite right Kitty.:flowers: Usually in Europe we have bridesmaids of similar age to the Bride. It is just that in Fabiola's case, since She had such a long and beautiful Royal train, older maids would have made it easier for Her and it would have looked more Royal and beautiful too. Take for instance Maxima's maids, who draped the Train so gorgeously and who, later on, as Maxima left the Cathedral, did a wonderful job of bearing the train and adjusting it when required. However, with kids it is lovely as well.:)

Princess Mathilde had 2 weddingdresses : one with long train for the 2 weddings of the morning , before the law at 10 a.m and at the cathedral at 11 a.m.
And a second wedding dress with a short train for dinner and ball.

I was told that like all the crown princesses she had 4 weddingdresses realising at 2 different places.. in case that something should have happened (fire etc..).
Queen Fabiola's marvellous weddingdress in shown now at the Balenciage exhibition. But she still has one at her palace.
I should like to know how long was Diana's train in metres ?

Back
Top Bottom