Wedding Gown Trains

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that if a wedding veil is worn bunched up, very low down at the back of the bride's head, it looks as though it's either fallen down, or was put there as an afterthought. After all, you wouldn't wear a hat like that so why a wedding veil?

I'm not sure which is worse, having no veil at all or having it very low down at the back.

I have a convoluted question. Is there a protocol for length of trains? If William and Catherine choose to get married in Westminister Abby. Will Catherine have complete control of her dress. Or will she "need" to have a train as long as Sarah's was? Or given who William is could her train be as long as Diana's was? I love trains and had a fairly long one myself. (Of course there are lots of differences between my wedding and hers (lvol).) I always assumed that Diana's was so long partially because of who she was marrying, and would become, not just the catherdral.

I love trains on wedding/evening dresses, the longer, the better IMHO.

I think that if a wedding veil is worn bunched up, very low down at the back of the bride's head, it looks as though it's either fallen down, or was put there as an afterthought. After all, you wouldn't wear a hat like that so why a wedding veil?

I'm not sure which is worse, having no veil at all or having it very low down at the back.

I so agree with what you say here. If you wear a veil, make sure it's placed correctly.
The total picture is so important, to me at least.

Do remember that Mette-Marit of Norway wore it that way (veil at the back of her head) and she will one day be queen of that country. It is part of why she is my least beautiful bride (well, okay, tie with Mabel).

Agreed, there will be expectations from her and William as England is the country of traditions.
I expect a long train and veil and an elegant, decent and covered wedding dress.

I think that Princess Mette-Marit's wedding dress was one of the most beautiful a royal wore. It fitted perfect to her slim figure. Catherine Middleton is also tall and very slim. I can very easliy imagine her in such a dress as Mette-Marit wore. She would look like an elf.

The standard for Catherine's dress is very high. Princess Diana had set the line very high with her wedding dress which was a masterpiece of that time and age. Though it looks a little oldfashioned nowadays it still has lots of magic. The wedding gown for Catherine must be a very special one to keep up with Diana's dress.

I think that Princess Mette-Marit's wedding dress was one of the most beautiful a royal wore. It fitted perfect to her slim figure. Catherine Middleton is also tall and very slim. I can very easliy imagine her in such a dress as Mette-Marit wore. She would look like an elf.

I say we must agree to disagree with this one. To me, Mette-Marit's dress was absolutely not beautiful and what I expect from a royal (or someone marrying into royal). I didn't expect something so simple, I found it too little.
And I am not even elaborating on what was supposed to be her bridal bouquet. More could have been made of it, IMO.
I do not imagine Catherine Middleton in a similar dress, not at all.

The standard for Catherine's dress is very high. Princess Diana had set the line very high with her wedding dress which was a masterpiece of that time and age. Though it looks a little oldfashioned nowadays it still has lots of magic. The wedding gown for Catherine must be a very special one to keep up with Diana's dress.

I do agree with the standard for Catherine's dress being very high and I expect her dress to be a masterpiece or at least very beautiful, but we won't know until April 29th next year.

Of-course there are certain expectations required of Catherine and there is is no doubt that Catherine will have a veil, placed I am sure in a position on her head that will be suitable to most people's tastes, and a long train - of suitable expanse - but it isn't a competition amongst royal brides to see who has (or will have) the biggest and most suitably appropriate dress :)

Of-course there are certain expectations required of Catherine and there is is no doubt that Catherine will have a veil, placed I am sure in a position on her head that will be suitable to most people's tastes, and a long train - of suitable expanse - but it isn't a competition amongst royal brides to see who has (or will have) the biggest and most suitably appropriate dress :)

Oh, I don't intend for it to be a competition at all :lol:
I was just stating my opinion :)

I expect that she will look gorgeous.

Oh, I don't intend for it to be a competition at all :lol:
I was just stating my opinion :)

I expect that she will look gorgeous.

Oh gosh, I wasn't meaning to question your opinion Skippy - it's very important to discuss these things because we don't want Kate to turn up in jeans and a sweater!! :)

Oh gosh, I wasn't meaning to question your opinion Skippy - it's very important to discuss these things because we don't want Kate to turn up in jeans and a sweater!! :)

Indeed we certainly don't, only imagine what would happen if she did just that :eek:
It would be the worst royal letdown ever for those who watch and care, I think I am safe to assume that. She will become a princess so we expect her to dress accordingly on her big day :D

Last edited:
I wonder how long Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's train was? She's a petite person and a train as long as Mary's, Maxima's and especially Diana's would be dragged down the aisle.

I wonder how long Grand Duchess Maria Teresa's train was? She's a petite person and a train as long as Mary's, Maxima's and especially Diana's would be dragged down the aisle.

Her train was not as long, check the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ourg-and-mar-a-teresa-mestre-1981-a-3974.html thread on this forum. First row, sixth picture.

This picture also shows her train length:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...a-teresa-mestre-1981-a-3974-2.html#post379394

Last edited:
In the diary of Furstin Daisy Hochberg von Pless I read about trains. She wrote that only queen could have the train from shoulders (look at Elizabeth II in parlament or on coronation). The rest ladies or princess must have the train only from waist. It was the rule for every official events.

I think that it can be true. I have never seen the woman from beyond Royal Fammily with the train from shoulders.

Did you nottice, that the veil is always longer than the train? This is next rule in wedding dress for RH (only Mabel doesn't fit it).

Last edited:
Princess Diana's wedding veil didn't extend beyond the train, as The Countess of Wessex's did.

Wedding Gown Train Lengths at Past Weddings

I found an old discussion here about what a train length would be but I'm looking for exact numbers on some of the famous brides.

Thus far I have:
Diana, Princess of Wales - 25-foot train of ivory taffeta and antique lace
Princess Kate - Two metres 70 centimetres
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden – 16.5 feet

Anyone can offer up more princesses' bridal train lengths? I'm making an graphic so all help is appreciated!

I found an old discussion here about what a train length would be but I'm looking for exact numbers on some of the famous brides.

Thus far I have:
Diana, Princess of Wales - 25-foot train of ivory taffeta and antique lace
Princess Kate - Two metres 70 centimetres
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden – 16.5 feet

Anyone can offer up more princesses' bridal train lengths? I'm making an graphic so all help is appreciated!

Princess Marina - 12ft
The Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) 15ft
The Duchess of Kent (then Katherine Worsley) 15ft
Princess Alexandra of Kent 21ft
Princess Anne 7.5ft (approx)
Countess of Wessex 10ft
Duchess of York 17.5ft
Queen Sofia 20 ft
CP Mette-Marit (2 metres plus a 20ft veil)
CP Mary of Denmark six metres/20ft
Princess Maxima 16.5ft
Queen Victoria - 18ft
Duchess of Cambridge 9ft
Princess Martha-Louise 9ft
Queen Margrethe 15ft approx
Queen Sonia roughly 12ft
Queen Silvia roughly 12ft

princess alexandra of denmark how long were hers train

it seems that Princess Alexandra of Kent 21ft is in the lead here

Princess Marina - 12ft
The Queen (then Princess Elizabeth) 15ft
The Duchess of Kent (then Katherine Worsley) 15ft
Princess Alexandra of Kent 21ft
Princess Anne 7.5ft (approx)
Countess of Wessex 10ft
Duchess of York 17.5ft
Queen Sofia 20 ft
CP Mette-Marit (2 metres plus a 20ft veil)
CP Mary of Denmark six metres/20ft
Princess Maxima 16.5ft
Queen Victoria - 18ft
Duchess of Cambridge 9ft
Princess Martha-Louise 9ft
Queen Margrethe 15ft approx
Queen Sonia roughly 12ft
Queen Silvia roughly 12ft
Thank you so much for the info! That was wonderful.:flowers:

My favorites,

1.Mette Marit

2.Maxima

3.Cristina of Spain

Worst

1.Mabel

2.Mary

3.Diana

I have to say that I do not understand these super long trains like Diana and Victoria had. The only time I have ever thought the super long train looked good was with Mette-Marit. With Diana and Victoria it looked like toilet paper being dragged behind the bride.

Sorry if this question has been asked an answered already, but due to the recent loss of Archduke Otto, a lot of photo tributes have been floating around with pictures of his wedding to Archduchess Regina. My question is how long was Regina's train?
In the photos, SEVERAL bridesmaids had to carry the train as the couple walked through the streets. I can imagine being not a long train but also very wide as well.

So, what was the official length of the new Princess of Monaco's bridal train? Has anyone found out?

(In feet, not metres)

So, what was the official length of the new Princess of Monaco's bridal train? Has anyone found out?

The Associated Press reports the train length at five meters, or five and a half yards. ;)

I have to say that I do not understand these super long trains like Diana and Victoria had. The only time I have ever thought the super long train looked good was with Mette-Marit. With Diana and Victoria it looked like toilet paper being dragged behind the bride.

As for Diana, that train had to be long because of the sheer size of St Paul's Cathedral. A shorter train would have looked lost.

Forgive me for asking, but is there a "longest bridal train" section in the Guinness Book of Records ?

From memory Diana's train was 25 feet. Cause St Pauls was so huge and anything small would have looked bad with the television cameras. I recently saw a tv special on Royal weddings and her designer was talking about it and having to measure the carpet and asking for them to vacuum it so it wouldn't go to one side. It was a huge hassle though. I can't imagine one longer unless it was in the same sort of huge Cathedral.

Back
Top Bottom