Wedding Gown Trains

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.

I love the long trains, I think they are elegant. However I thought Dianas, and, CP Mary were plain, and not pretty. I loved the desig o Sarahs train.

I agree mrs Bugman,:flowers:
Sarah' Gown looked lovelier all together, but the veil/hair arrangement was less attractive. I felt She should have worn Her hair up with a tall tiara and a really long and full veil. (A bit like Maxima's veil). And I agree with you, Her train was lovely, with gorgeous detail and it flowed beautifully. Perhaps I would have preferred it somewhat longer and wider. But gorgeous and really Regal all the same.:)

Diana's train was NOT plain: it was edged with sparkling lace. As for Sarah, Duchess of York's wedding hairstyle, I think it was better than a severe updo.

If it was 25 feet indeed, that would translate to around 6.35 meters in metric.....hhmmm.
Lovely........:)

No, Angelique, it was longer than 6.35m. A yard (3 ft) is 91.44 cm so Diana's wedding dress train would be just over 8 metres long.

I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.

I've just gone on a couple of on-line conversion calculators, both of which suggest that 25 feet equates to 7.62 metres. Diana's train also had lace running in two lines down the length of the train as well as the lace edging. All the lace of the dress and train was embroidered with mother-of-pearl sequins.
According to this BBC ON THIS DAY | 29 | 1981: Charles and Diana marry

"She made the three-and-a-half minute walk up the red-carpeted aisle with the sumptuous 25 ft (7.62 m) train of her Emmanuel designed, ivory taffeta and antique lace gown flowing behind her. "

There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.

Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post! :lol:

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.

Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.

How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.

Jaya, I feel naughty for laughing when I read your post but I couldn't help it...hilarious post! :lol:

I watched Diana's wedding live like almost everyone else and I will never forget how disappointed I was..the gown was crumpled like tissue paper and that massive train tacked onto it looked like it had a life of it's own...Diana's hair looked flat and greasy. Only her face with it's flawless makeup saved her from being a disaster, IMO. She glowed.

If Diana had filled out the gown more instead of looking lost inside it due to dieting too hard..and IF the fabric had not crinkled, I think it would have been beautiful.

I agree entirely....:sad: I have always found it hard to express my feelings regarding Diana's Wedding Gown, as so many fans take that as a personal slur against dear Diana. Like you, I too was very disappointed to see the crumpled Gown and the Train which should have been much wider and more circular to achieve such a length and still look in proportion. At the time I was really looking forward to a really Divine, Elegant and yet majestic Gown, but..... Diana, in spite of it all, was stunning.:flowers:

Back to my post in May. Plain was (probably) the wrong word to choose in describing Dianas, and Marys trains. I like the more ornately decorated train of Sara, Duchess of York.
I SO agree; Her train was Gorgeous and the ornate decorations were just right and harmonious with the overall look.:flowers:

There is a superstition that Diana was evidently not told and that is as long as your train will be your troubles in the marriage will be also.
I thought it looked hideously hilarious and quite immature.It was right out of the Victorian era.And her bouquet was large; Diana wore hanging earrings and brides are not supposed to wear them However- this was Diana and they forgave her as quickly as she forgave herself neophyte that she was.
When she got out of the carriage I said to myself the marriage will be a disaster.

Brides aren't supposed to wear hanging earrings? That's quite odd.

I wore hanging pearl earrings at my wedding and I just celebrated our silver anniversary.

How long were Mary and Maxima's trains? I love the train on MM's wedding gown that it was actually a part of the dress not something that was attached like the other CP's.

Mary's train was reported to be 6 metres (20 feet) and Maxima's was 5 metres (16.5 feet) which is the same as Crown Princess Victoria's.

I've never heard that one before. Years ago, I came across the superstition that it's unlucky to take a wedding ring off once you're married.

did tatiana now princess of greece and denmark have atrain? how about infanta christina and elena?

did tatiana now princess of greece and denmark have atrain? how about infanta christina and elena?

Infanta Christina - three metres
Infanta Elena - four (ish) metres but with a longer veil. Her train was unusual in that it appeared to be shaped like a diamond (diamond shape as in four sided not the stone).

I have a convoluted question. Is there a protocol for length of trains? If William and Catherine choose to get married in Westminister Abby. Will Catherine have complete control of her dress. Or will she "need" to have a train as long as Sarah's was? Or given who William is could her train be as long as Diana's was? I love trains and had a fairly long one myself. (Of course there are lots of differences between my wedding and hers (lvol).) I always assumed that Diana's was so long partially because of who she was marrying, and would become, not just the catherdral.

didn't most of the cp's have long trains on their wedding day? i'd love to see kate have a long one but not as long as diana's.

I have a convoluted question. Is there a protocol for length of trains? If William and Catherine choose to get married in Westminister Abby. Will Catherine have complete control of her dress. Or will she "need" to have a train as long as Sarah's was? Or given who William is could her train be as long as Diana's was? I love trains and had a fairly long one myself. (Of course there are lots of differences between my wedding and hers (lvol).) I always assumed that Diana's was so long partially because of who she was marrying, and would become, not just the catherdral.

Don't know if there is a protocol about the lenght of hte trraibns but i remember from a documentary where the had interviewed also DAvid Emmanuel who made Diana'sWeddig gown. He said after the dwesigner was announced nobody from the Place said anything about how they should make the Dress. So he and Diana had free hand in designing the gown. I think that it would be similar with Kate.

There are no protocols in respect of royal wedding dresses - although I believe there maybe protocols with regard to ceremonial robes - and Kate could walk up the aisle with no train (and indeed no veil) if she so desired. She will have some ideas of the type of dress she wants (many people I understand have an idea of their "dream" dress from a young age) and her dress designer will interpret or incorporate some or all of these ideas into the finished product. The designer will at some point need to look at the technical elements of the design such as cut, weight of the materials etc in order to establish the optimum length of the train without inducing unsightly drag, creases etc. It would be necessary to consider the venue (such as width of doors, aisles etc).
Generally speaking, five metres has been a popular length for a royal brides in a number of countries. Less than three metres is unusual (Princess Anne, Princess Margaret) and six metres in quite popular (Princess Alexandra of Kent, Crown Princess Mette Marit, Crown Princess Mary, Queen Sofia).

I don't think it would be at all appropriate for Kate to walk up the aisle with no train or veil, or to have her veil very low down at the back of her head as seems to be the case with a lot of modern brides. This is a future Queen of England we're talking about, not Mr and Mrs Everyman getting married in a tiny country church or a register office.

I don't think it would be at all appropriate for Kate to walk up the aisle with no train or veil, or to have her veil very low down at the back of her head as seems to be the case with a lot of modern brides.

Do remember that Mette-Marit of Norway wore it that way (veil at the back of her head) and she will one day be queen of that country. It is part of why she is my least beautiful bride (well, okay, tie with Mabel).

This is a future Queen of England we're talking about, not Mr and Mrs Everyman getting married in a tiny country church or a register office.

Agreed, there will be expectations from her and William as England is the country of traditions.
I expect a long train and veil and an elegant, decent and covered wedding dress.

Back
Top Bottom