Royal Wedding Gifts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been to more showers and seen some of the most well meaning, but useless, gifts. We are multicultural as well in the United States, hence the term melting pot and salad bowl.

Sorry, I know that this is off-topic, but I just want to clarify that, yes, I know the States is multicultural insofar as people from different cultural backgrounds have settled there. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. Sorry if it came across that way.

However, by Canada being "more" multicultural, I was referring to our official policy of multiculturalism, which is supported by the state via programs and funding. People aren't expected to 'melt in a pot' here and become one. Rather, people are encouraged to maintain their different cultural identities and norms along with their Canadian identities (makes life more interesting). Thus many don't follow Western norms on gift giving etc.

Last edited:
what about Prince Charles and late Princess Diana's first marriages have register for wedding? and Prince Charles and Camilla-Parker Bowles have register for wedding have donation? or not?

but i understand about Earl and Countess of Wessex's wedding expensives wedding gifts from stores or whatevers what Earl and Countess of Wessex needs for their wedding gifts! but i respect Sophie

Most people from where I live seem to use registries in two different ways: either they're young, just starting out on their own, and don't have anything (quiet common in KS-people often get married while still in college...let's just say I don't envy them and am in no hurry myself!), or it's a general guideline for people to follow. While they might include a few pricier items, most people don't use it as an excuse to ask for a bunch of big-ticket things. Then again, I suppose what a couple asks for could depend on what kind of social circles they run in. Most people here are middle-class. Maybe this is why some of the things royals ask for could be considered vulgar, but it seems to me that registering among them isn't really common.

Last edited:
ok. So now on the same subject here's another question. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who thinks it's ok for royals to have a registry list and why?

Lady Marmalade said:
Hi Lisele,

And I am sure your had a very elegant affair. How kind and warmhearted of your family, his family, and your friends.

You handled it in a very tasteful manner. I wish you both congratulations and all the best on a long and healthy marriage.

Mine is in October, so I know what you went through. :)

Lady Marmalade,

We had a sunset garden wedding and reception in May of this year and the weather was perfect :) My congratulations and best wishes to you and your husband to be. I'm sure yours will be an elegant affair as well :)

Lis

Remember a friend summing up all the presents she and her husband has received to a group and she shrieked "you should all get married, then you get lots of presents" and we thought it was funny and laughed.

Think we expect different behaviour from our royals though so it is not ok anymore, society has changed. Edward and Sophie wanting the presents they did makes them seem greedy and shallow. If they want that kind of expensive extravagant junk they can buy it themselves.

Ditebaby said:
ok. So now on the same subject here's another question. And everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Who thinks it's ok for royals to have a registry list and why?

I've always been a bit wary of the whole "wedding list" idea. In my culture it's traditional to give the bride and groom money to help them start off with their new life, so in some ways the "wedding list" idea is quite alien. Although, it's becoming increasingly common as more and more people opt for it.

For a Royal couple to have a wedding list is just plain tacky, donations for a charity of their choice should be sufficient.

Prince Laurent and Claire registered at a very chic interior decoration store. Their list had a number of expensive items but also some fun gifts such as wastepaper baskets with dogs in uniform on them -- the latter has become a very fashionable item to have :D
Every decoration magazine in Belgium now shows furniture and objects from that store (Flamant Home Interiors). Nice but expensive!!!

Lisele said:
Lady Marmalade,

We had a sunset garden wedding and reception in May of this year and the weather was perfect :) My congratulations and best wishes to you and your husband to be. I'm sure yours will be an elegant affair as well :)

Lis

Thank you Lisele, that sounds so romantic and beautiful. I am nervous, but so much looking forward to it. As long as it does not rain! :)

Nicole

In Sweden we haven't had this tradition of registering for gifts at stores for weddings, it's only in recent years that I've seen this in some places, but it's by no mean common. Instead it's a common thing that the bridal couple wish for something, often for their new home, but that is done by asking and answering, or sending a small list to the guests.

So unless the Swedish Royal Family will start to follow other customs, I doubt the royal children will register somewhere officially, but instead it will be kept between the guests and them. Unless it leaks out of course... :)

Now those will be some beautiful weddings..when the royal children marry...I for one would come to Sweden to Victoria marry..

here in my country we usu. give new couples cash which is wrapped in red paper at the wedding reception.
isn't it a bit odd for the royals to have a wishlist? they have so much money, if they want anything they can buy them.

I think it's practical for a couple to register so they don't wind up with 3 toasters, etc. and have the hassle of returning items. They can get what they want. But I do think it's bad to only sign up for pricier things because you always have friends and relatives who want to give things but can't afford very much.

It would seem unnecessary for royals who have so much more money than everyone else.

Someone earlier on had alluded that showers are just excuses to ask for gifts and that they are tacky and lowbrow.

Well, here in the U.S. at least, when a woman announces she is getting married, first marriage I am talking about, all the other females she knows, whether they are friends and family, will start asking about the wedding shower, who is going to give it, and where she is registered and what she wants. Women here take an active interest in giving at showers no matter what your financial status is or social class, showers, big or small, are still part of the wedding cycle and there is nothing tacky about as the actual brides, 99.9% of them, would never expect or ask any of their female friends or family to give them anything at all.

Lady Marmalade said:
Someone earlier on had alluded that showers are just excuses to ask for gifts and that they are tacky and lowbrow.

Well, here in the U.S. at least, when a woman announces she is getting married, first marriage I am talking about, all the other females she knows, whether they are friends and family, will start asking about the wedding shower, who is going to give it, and where she is registered and what she wants. Women here take an active interest in giving at showers no matter what your financial status is or social class, showers, big or small, are still part of the wedding cycle and there is nothing tacky about as the actual brides, 99.9% of them, would never expect or ask any of their female friends or family to give them anything at all.

I agree.

This is a huge tradition in the U.S. Of course, there will always be people who take advantage of a situation like this. But, this is something that is done in good faith by those who buy gifts for the couple. Many people don't complain because it is meant to help the couple start their life off together.

In the U.S. people not only have bridal showers, but also baby showers and housewarming parties. These are usually given by friends of the bride or mother-to-be, or the owner of a new home. The only thing that could be considered tacky about this is if the bride or mother were to throw her own shower, specifically for soliciting gifts. It would also be tacky for someone to throw their own housewarming party.

It is done, in my opinion, in most cases with the best of intentions and only out of the spirit of generosity.

Isabel said:
I agree.

This is a huge tradition in the U.S. Of course, there will always be people who take advantage of a situation like this. But, this is something that is done in good faith by those who buy gifts for the couple. Many people don't complain because it is meant to help the couple start their life off together.

In the U.S. people not only have bridal showers, but also baby showers and housewarming parties. These are usually given by friends of the bride or mother-to-be, or the owner of a new home. The only thing that could be considered tacky about this is if the bride or mother were to throw her own shower, specifically for soliciting gifts. It would also be tacky for someone to throw their own housewarming party.

It is done, in my opinion, in most cases with the best of intentions and only out of the spirit of generosity.

I know. My maid of honor gave me one as I knew it would not be proper for my mother to have one for me. That is the biggest faux pas.

I never expected her to, she absolutely insisted.

Depending on what you register for I think some gifts are appreciated. If a couple registers for very extravagant things that are very expensive, that is a bit disrespectful to their guests. But if a couple has a new home together and are in need of things like a toaster, an iron, cutlery or things like that, such gifts can be very helpful, especially if it is a young couple or a first marriage.

Where I draw the line is when couples getting married for the second (or more) times registers. That is so declasse.

Genevieve said:
Depending on what you register for I think some gifts are appreciated. If a couple registers for very extravagant things that are very expensive, that is a bit disrespectful to their guests. But if a couple has a new home together and are in need of things like a toaster, an iron, cutlery or things like that, such gifts can be very helpful, especially if it is a young couple or a first marriage.

Where I draw the line is when couples getting married for the second (or more) times registers. That is so declasse.

I agree with you. I only registered for the normal types of gifts such as flatware, pots and pans, my china, etc.

I would never register for say a big screen TV, that is just not right.

One more thing, in the U.S. it is becoming very common for the groom to be to attend the wedding shower now.

I gave mine the option if he wanted to and he did. To which I give him credit and love him even more as it was not easy to be around 60 crazy ladies for 5 hours or so.. :)

and we have some newly weds the year 2006
the duch princes and the japance princess what would you give them as christmas gifts

One of CP Frederik & CP Mary's presents for the weding last year was a tennis court

some of the presents for the (then) Princes of Spain, Juan Carlos & Sofía on their wedding day (14th May 1962) were:

* Queen Federica gave her son-in-law an golden ring with an camafeo( how do you say that in English?) that comes from the 5 century b.C (which is the same ring the King always wears in his pinky finger):D
* Dictator Franco gave Sofía a diamond tiara that can be changed into a necklace
* Chiang Kai Check gave them a porcelain vase from the XVI century
* Also, the Duchess of Alba opened a bank account for the Spanish people who wanted to give money to the couple

Mette-Marit's wedding tiara, a gift from King Harald and Queen Sonja
(source-Corbis, originally posted by Josefine)

Mary's wedding tiara, a gift from Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik.
(source-Getty Images)

kwanfan said:
Mette-Marit's wedding tiara, a gift from King Harald and Queen Sonja

Mette-Marit was given this special daisy tiara because her name means daisy in Norwegian. Mette-Marit is a form of Margaret.

EmpressRouge said:
I know that President and Mrs. Reagan gave them a giant crystal bowl, and a Middle Eastern (Saudi, I'm pretty sure) royal family gave Diana a sapphire parure of earrings and a necklace that matched her wedding ring. Diana's pearl drop tiara was the Queen's wedding gift.
I think this is the sapphire jewelry set. (Getty Images)

The Dukes of Bragança, D. Duarte and D.ª Isabel, offered Prince Felipe and Letizia a set of porcelain with naval motifs taken from the water-colours painted by the Portuguese king D. Carlos.

marezdote said:
From Getty...

Maxima Zorreguieta (L), Argentine fiancee of Dutch Crown Prince Willem Alexander (R) holds a golden crown that she received as wedding present from the Dutch Gold and Silversmith Society January 9, 2002 in The Hague, The Netherlands. The couple will marry in Amsterdam February 2, 2002.

such a waste of money and material. She received an equally rediculous thing of silver, in the shape of a polo helmet. If they combined the money they could have bought her a decent jewel that she would actually wear, instead of these horrible things which are collecting dust.

I was reading the newspaper yesterday and it had an article about the vintage tram that is on it's way to Denmark from Melbourne as a wedding present for CP Frederik & CP Mary, and it also said that they got a journal make of kangaroo poop and a 180-ton bale of wool as presents

Back
Top Bottom