Royal Weddings Questions and Discussion Past and Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iain  Posted: Jul 17th, 2004 - 12:58 pm

When a royal is invited to a royal wedding in another country are they told what to wear? At some weddings you see the ladies in long dresses and tiara and at others in short dress and hat. Who decides what should be worn?
Short answer, yes. The royal world is old fashioned in this regards, and certain instructions go out that ..... I believe are more tailored to what the man should wear: uniform, smoking coat, morning coat, tails and so on. Women -- the wonderful creatures they are -- have a evolved a style that compliments the gentleman's "uniform".

I wonder if and when invitations are issued, "birthday suits" ?

Originally posted by King Christian@Jul 18th, 2004 - 2:49 pm
I wonder if and when invitations are issued, "birthday suits" ?
Haha. That's funny :lol:

I would also imagine that what you wear would be dictated by the time frame of the wedding- if you're having a morning or afternoon wedding, as Felipe and Letizia did, it certainly wouldn't look right to parade around in an evening dress and tiara, so you would wear a pretty suit and a hat. However, for evening weddings like Frederik and Mary's, the standard attire was evening gown and tiara.
-Kara-

Doesn't it depend on when the wedding takes place? If it's a morning wedding, ladies wear something short and a hat, if it's an afternoon wedding, ladies wear something long and a tiara. For the men it doesn't really matter, I think.

yes, it deppends and it's specified in the invitations.
for men it can vary between chaqué and a normal suit.

typical schedules in a royal wedding

what do guests do in a royal wedding after the banquet? is there another type of music of something like that? maybe a show? what's the typical schedule of a royal wedding after the banquet, the cake, the waltz and the fireworks?

Well, we don't know the exact answer!

But we do know that in Denmark, the Danish singer Lene Siel sang afterwards.....she's kinda one of Denmark greatest female singers and so, very normal style(not pop, not the opposite either...)!

Weddings Guests

Did The British Royal Family invite other European Royals to attend the Wedding of Charles(1981),Anne(1973),Andrew(1986) and Edward(1999)?Who?

If Prince Charles was infertile

Elspeth said:
Considering how hard it is to figure out why a woman can't conceive even after trying for years, I don't see what good a premarital gynaecological exam would really do. It would probably only show the most obvious problems. And considering that the like of succession in the British royal family isn't limited in the way it is in some other countries and Princess Anne already had children, it seems really strange that it'd be made a condition of a marriage. I wonder if they'd stop the Prince of Wales from marrying if he were infertile, simply because there'd be no heirs and hence no point in getting married.

Weird.
Now I've never thought about that from that point of view. What would a royal family do if the male heir to the throne is infertile? I doubt he would be passed over for rule. I guess that the children of the next in line heir would become heir to the throne or that next child in line would sit on the throne next.

And what if the only remainig heir is female and she is infertile? :confused:

The Duke of Windsor was supposedly infertile due to a case of the measles he had as a teenager. In one biography of his younger brother George VI, I read that there was some relief among the "grey men" when the Duke abdicated not only because of his peculiarities, but also for this reason.

Royal Wedding Question

A quick question in general. I was looking at the photos of CP Fredrick and CP Mary at the recent wedding they attended. I have noticed that at other royal weddings all those that have an order of the country they are attending wear that, if they don't they wear the order of their own country. What is the protocol for a wedding such as the recent one, for a non-royal in the home country. I saw that Prince Fredrick was wearing the Order of the Elephant, as was his brother. But the Queen and CP Mary didn't wear any order. Just curious if it is a Male/Female thing?

As far as I know there is no protocol surrounding the wearing of orders at non-royal weddings. CP Fredrick probably wore his as a matter of personal choice. At royal weddings, the protocol surrounding the wearing of order varies according to country. In Denmark for example royals should wear the order of the elephant or other Danish orders if they have them, if not they wear the order of their native country. In Britain, only men, usually in uniform, wear their orders, while the women do not.

that true!

mostly man who wores that different order badges include navy,army whatever!

Sara Boyce

Selection of Spouses by the British Royals

Would someone please explain why the Royals of Belgium, Sweden, etc appear to marry other royals and the British princes and princesses seem to marry commoners? Don't they interact with the other European royals?:confused:

I don´t know who you mean.

Silvia of Sweden was also a commoner when she married.Her name was Silvia Sommerlath.

The current Crown Princes only Charles of Wales and Prince Philippeof Belgium married women from the nobiltity...

liv said:
I don´t know who you mean.

Silvia of Sweden was also a commoner when she married.Her name was Silvia Sommerlath.

The current Crown Princes only Charles of Wales and Prince Philippeof Belgium married women from the nobiltity...
And Alois of Liechtenstein.

Until the first world war the British royals had tended to marry German royalty and nobility; since then, with that source no longer available since they'd been our enemies in the war, marriage with British nobility became usual. These days, marriage with commoners (British or foreign) seems to be overtaking marriage with nobility. I think that trend is also occurring in other European monarchies.

Zadok the Priest

Is this song, Zadok the Priest, used for all royal weddings? I know Crown Princess Mary of Denamrk had this song on when she walked up the aisle.

No. It was originally written for King George (I forget which one) by Handel.

This piece is (mainly) used for the British monarchy during the coronation of the next King or Queen of Great Britain. It is also used a hymn for the Anglican church (in fact, many choirs within the Qnglican chruch, use this piece on a daily basis...trust me, I know this work by heart. Moreover, if I had a good voice I would sing it and be the lead in my church choir.)

I found it quite unusal the the Danish wedding party decided to use this piece for their wedding march (the lyrics don't match), but whatever floats their boat.

:)

Last edited:
Yes, Zadok the Priest, written for King George II I believe, is one of the coronation anthems used at the coronation of British Monarchs. I believe it is sung before the anointing of the monarch or while the monarch is changing into the clothes in which he or she will be anointed. It is a beautiful hymn. It is not, however, usually sung at Royal weddings and I don't know why it was used at the Danish Crown Princely wedding.

Anne (1973) -
* HM King Constantine II of Greece
* HM Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
* HRH Crown Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (now Queen Beatrix)
* HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands
* HRH Crown Prince Harald of Norway (now King Harald V)
* HRH Crown Princess Sonja of Norway (now Queen Sonja)
* HRH Prince Juan Carlos of the Asturias (now King Juan Carlos I of Spain)
* HRH Princess Sofia of the Asturias (now Queen Sofia)
I'm not sure about any others.

Charles (1981) -
* HM King Baudouin I of the Belgians
* HM Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
* HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
* HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark
* HSH Prince Franz Josef II von and zu Liechtenstein
* HSH Princess Gina von and zu Liechtenstein
* HRH Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
* HRH Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg
* HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
* HSH Prince Albert of Monaco
* HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
* HM King Olav V of Norway
* HM King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
* HM Queen Silvia of Sweden
I'm not sure about any others

Andrew (1986) -
I'm not sure about any guests at this wedding all though I do know that
King Constantine of Greece was present as the Duchess of York said she
sat next to him at the wedding breakfast.

Edward (1999) -
see this link: http://www.nettyroyal.nl/wedding.html

mybags said:
Anne (1973) -
* HM King Constantine II of Greece
* HM Queen Anne-Marie of Greece
* HRH Crown Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands (now Queen Beatrix)
* HRH Crown Prince Harald of Norway (now King Harald V)
* HRH Crown Princess Sonja of Norway (now Queen Sonja)
* HRH Prince Juan Carlos of the Asturias (now King Juan Carlos I of Spain)
* HRH Princess Sofia of the Asturias (now Queen Sofia)
I'm not sure about any others.

Charles (1981) -
* HM King Baudouin I of the Belgians
* HM Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
* HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
* HRH Prince Henrik of Denmark
* HSH Prince Franz Josef II von and zu Liechtenstein
* HSH Princess Gina von and zu Liechtenstein
* HRH Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg
* HRH Grand Duchess Josephine-Charlotte of Luxembourg
* HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
* HSH Prince Albert of Monaco
* HM Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands
* HM King Olav V of Norway
* HM King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden
* HM Queen Silvia of Sweden
I'm not sure about any others

Andrew (1986) -
I'm not sure about any guests at this wedding all though I do know that
King Constantine of Greece was present as the Duchess of York said she
sat next to him at the wedding breakfast.

Edward (1999) -
see this link: http://www.nettyroyal.nl/wedding.html
Not European but I know that Prince Hassan and Princess Sarvath attended Prince Charles and Princess Diana's wedding, and they together with Princess Rahma and Alaa Batyanah attended Prince Edward's.

Cathedral music

I am listening to Choral Evensong on the BBC and I just started thinking about cathedral music. Well I like the cathedral music that is played in royal weddings. DO you guys know some info. on that type stuff?

royal wedding reception

since us non royal people have wedding reception with dancing, cutting the wedding cake etc. what are royal wedding reception like? is there danceing and traditional toss of the bridal garter?

I learned that for the Danish Royal Family, they have to have a waltz before the stroke of midnight, I think. I forgot the name of the piece, but it's such a nice one to waltz to.

how about British Royal Family have reception? includes Prince and late Princess of Wales,Earl and Countess of Wessex

Sara Boyce

I think it sometimes depends on the time of the wedding, too, in addition to the religious and cultural and social customs of each country, too, of course.

Some of the weddings that took place in the evening (with formal gala wear) within the past years each had the bridal couple sharing a dance: Frederik and Mary, Joachim and Alexandra, Haakon and Mette-Marit and Martha Louise and Ari.

While weddings that take place during the day, or perhaps have seperate civil and religious ceremonies (on seperate days as well as on the same day), the dancing might more likely take place the night before at the pre-wedding ball.

There were a few published pictures of Willem and Maxima, Constantijn and Laurentien dancing at their pre-wedding ball.

As for the cake, I've seen wedding cakes for all of the above mentioned couples with Felipe and Letizia's cake being the least traditional in the wedding sense, but perhaps common in Spain?

Attachments

• DK-frederik-mary-wedding-467_g.jpg
    DK-frederik-mary-wedding-467_g.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 556
  • NY-haakon-mette-marit-wedding-296a.jpg
    NY-haakon-mette-marit-wedding-296a.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,396
  • NY-martha-ari-wedding-169.jpg
    NY-martha-ari-wedding-169.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 388
  • DK-joachim-manley-wedding-140.jpg
    DK-joachim-manley-wedding-140.jpg