Royal Wedding Bouquets

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it's true about Harry picking the flowers (from Diana's garden no less) then I can forgive her the small bouquet....which was my only real negative for the day.

LaRae

If it's true about Harry picking the flowers (from Diana's garden no less) then I can forgive her the small bouquet....which was my only real negative for the day.

LaRae

I'll be honest, I don't think that's a strictly accurate account. He wasn't even at KP the day before. As it is customary, it is the husband that traditionally sends the bride a bouquet of flowers in the morning of the wedding. (My husband did that -it was a very small, intimate wedding - but he asked me what type of flowers I would have liked...!). But in most cases today the bouquet is chosen by the bride (or together) to fit the overall style of the dress/event. Harry may have made suggestions and spoken to the gardeners/florists but I doubt he went off with a basket picking flowers...

The report was that he picked some flowers for the bouquet, not all the flowers, and he would certainly have had time to cut a couple of blossoms on Friday before the rehearsal. I don't see any reason to doubt the official account or description of the bouquet.

The report was that he picked some flowers for the bouquet, not all the flowers, and he would certainly have had time to cut a couple of blossoms on Friday before the rehearsal. I don't see any reason to doubt the official account or description of the bouquet.

I honestly hadn't read the official KP press release about it! I stand corrected! :flowers:

I suppose the traditional sprig of myrtle was present, and the bouquet was transferred later to the tomb of the Unknown Soldier at WA.

HRH the Duchess of Sussex has sent the bouquet she carried during yesterday's Wedding to Westminster Abbey to rest on the Grave of the Unknown Warrior.
The tradition of Royal brides' bouquets being placed on the Grave was started by the future Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, in memory of her brother Fergus who was killed in 1915 at the Battle of Loos during the First World War.
The Warrior’s Grave stands as a remarkable tribute both to the fallen of the First World War and to all those who have died since in international military conflict.

Last edited by a moderator:
HRH the Duchess of Sussex has sent the bouquet she carried during yesterday's Wedding to Westminster Abbey to rest on the Grave of the Unknown Warrior.
The tradition of Royal brides' bouquets being placed on the Grave was started by the future Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, in memory of her brother Fergus who was killed in 1915 at the Battle of Loos during the First World War.
The Warrior’s Grave stands as a remarkable tribute both to the fallen of the First World War and to all those who have died since in international military conflict.

I tear up when I read the text on the grave, every time.

It's a very important tradition, and I'm glad royal brides still follow it.

Thanks for posting.

I don't know if I would but Meghan's bouquet on the same level as Mette-Marits. Meghan's bouquet was boring and plain but it wasn't straight up ugly like Mette-Marit's.

Beautiful, thank goodness they stayed true to tradition in this case. As the mother of an active duty Servicemember I respect this gesture immensely and tear up every time I see this or the one in Arlington. In fact, I'm a little misty-eyed right now.

I don't know if I would but Meghan's bouquet on the same level as Mette-Marits. Meghan's bouquet was boring and plain but it wasn't straight up ugly like Mette-Marit's.

To each their own......but in the long run and the only important fact is that both bouquets are exactly what those brides wanted on their special day and those bouquets made them happy or they would have purchased another.

I like the fact that Princess Diana's favorite flower of Forget-me-nots was used in the bouquet.

To each their own......but in the long run and the only important fact is that both bouquets are exactly what those brides wanted on their special day and those bouquets made them happy or they would have purchased another.

So in your opinion because the bride was happy those of us who watched it all go down shouldn't have any opinion on anything? Well if that's the case why even have this thread? First and only post should be "its what the bride wanted so nobody else's opinion matters".

Beautiful, thank goodness they stayed true to tradition in this case. As the mother of an active duty Servicemember I respect this gesture immensely and tear up every time I see this or the one in Arlington. In fact, I'm a little misty-eyed right now.

I think there was no way this tradition would've been foregone given how important Harry's service is to him and his continued commitment to veterans. In fact, there were injured servicemen at the wedding that Harry has become very close to through his work.

So in your opinion because the bride was happy those of us who watched it all go down shouldn't have any opinion on anything? Well if that's the case why even have this thread? First and only post should be "its what the bride wanted so nobody else's opinion matters".

I never stated that no one could ever have an opinion on any subject. What I meant was that it doesn't matter to the main characters of the event. It was what they wanted no matter what anyone else thought and I am sure other opinions didn't affect them if they ever read this forum. It would be the same if your or my wedding photos [or prom, etc.] photos were published. People can critique and find extreme fault with every section of our bodies, make-up, clothes, teeth, hair, etc., but in the long-run, it was what we wanted on our special day.

I was a bit disappointed in all of the wedding flowers.
I realize they wanted a classic all-white look, but a pop of color would have looked amazing!

I was hoping for something more like Pippa's wedding, which had absolutely gorgeous flowers.
One poster described them as looking like someone ran through the fields gathering armloads of flowers, and they did have that effect.

As it was, I thought the flowers at the chapel lacked much impact.

I never stated that no one could ever have an opinion on any subject. What I meant was that it doesn't matter to the main characters of the event. It was what they wanted no matter what anyone else thought and I am sure other opinions didn't affect them if they ever read this forum. It would be the same if your or my wedding photos [or prom, etc.] photos were published. People can critique and find extreme fault with every section of our bodies, make-up, clothes, teeth, hair, etc., but in the long-run, it was what we wanted on our special day.
And I nor anyone else is writing a personal letter to Harry or Meghan to criticize their choices. On this board we talk about flowers and those who dislike the bouquet's are stating their opinion just like those who did like them.

@Mirabel I don't get your comparison that it looked like someone ran through a field grabbing flowers. Are you saying the flowers didn't seem to have consistency?

What an obvious fact though, of course it doesn't matter to them. It's like saying 'the sky is blue'. Yes, and... it does seem to imply that we shouldn't be critiquing Meghan, because Meghan doesn't care. :whistling:

Mirabel, I was disappointed in the whole thing. Like I said before, the only highlight for me was seeing a tiara that had been languishing in the vaults. The rest of it, from the dress to the flowers was extremely unimpressive imo.

@Mirabel I don't get your comparison that it looked like someone ran through a field grabbing flowers. Are you saying the flowers didn't seem to have consistency?

No, that was just something someone said about the flowers at Pippa's wedding.
They didn't seem structured, just naturally gorgeous.
I don't think I've ever seen prettier flowers at a wedding.

(Which probably is another reason I was disappointed in the ones at St. George's, they seemed tortured into shape, and just boring). Maybe because they only used white flowers.

No, that was just something someone said about the flowers at Pippa's wedding.
They didn't seem structured, just naturally gorgeous.
I don't think I've ever seen prettier flowers at a wedding.

(Which probably is another reason I was disappointed in the ones at St. George's, they seemed tortured into shape, and just boring). Maybe because they only used white flowers.

Too much greenery in the arches and outside, too. The flowers just didn't have any oomph. I read once that Diana's favorite flower was white lilies, and we all know Meghan likes peonies, why not some of these type of big showy flowers? When you have a setting like Windsor it's go big or go home.

Too much greenery in the arches and outside, too. The flowers just didn't have any oomph. I read once that Diana's favorite flower was white lilies, and we all know Meghan likes peonies, why nzot some of these type of big showy flowers? When you have a setting like Windsor it's go big or go home.

Because the archways were so massive, it’d look odd and way too much if they used a lot of colors and a lot more bigger flowers. It’d be criticized for being over the top and in-royal like. Pippa’s archways were much smaller and can be done that way.

Too much greenery in the arches and outside, too. The flowers just didn't have any oomph. I read once that Diana's favorite flower was white lilies, and we all know Meghan likes peonies, why not some of these type of big showy flowers? When you have a setting like Windsor it's go big or go home.

Diana's favorite flowers were white roses.

The archway outside had a hundreds if not thousands of flowers. There were white roses for Diana and white peonies for Meghan, as well as foxgloves and other flowers. I would argue that huge massive arches of greenery with thousands of flowers, is definitely going BIG.

I thought the bouquet was noting special also... and lacked colour. the tiara was rather small, honestly think flowers would have been better...

I have to say actually I was "meh" when I first saw the leaked photo of the archway before the wedding, I thought it was too green and too natural, but after the wedding I love that over green archway. Do you saw the photo when they leave the church and kiss? exceptional. Obviously they want green to be the theme color without being too much and I think they succeed, everything is harmonious.

Last edited:
I thought the bouquet was noting special also... and lacked colour. the tiara was rather small, honestly think flowers would have been better...

Flowers??? I am sorry I cant see a boho chic wedding look going with St George's chapel. Nor is it Meghan's style. That is the only way you get away with a floral wreath without looking like some 80's throwback.

The tiara is quite a descent size, much better then the halo which totally got lost in the veil and hair.

Agree on the bouquet.

The flowers just didn't have any oomph.

I suspect they worked best 'up close', from a distance there seemed not to be enough 'focus', and although White Foxgloves were included, they didn't 'read' as the vertical accents as i'd hoped and expected they would.

Also the Chancel [with just two 'set pieces' either side of the Altar] was VERY conventional and predictable, and DULL..
Why no flowers banked on the deep sill of the East Window above the Altar itself ?

I am surprised to be faintly disappointed [ as a Landscape Designer, myself.]

Hello nice to see you, I must say I surprised you thought the tiara was small, it seemed one of the bigger sized tiaras. The really big ones are reserved for the Queen, or Camilla sometimes wears some.

Last edited:
Well, it was a completely different setting, time and couple. MM's outfit actually looked more like this one https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...ding-dress-caroline-bessette-kennedy-tribute/

But coming back to the bouquet: CBK's also had very few visible flowers! Yes, MM's bouquet was a bit too plain but I much rather have this than those cascading affairs a la Princess Diana. My favorite is Kate Middleton's, full of lily-of-the valleys which must have smelled beautifully! https://www.tesselaarflowers.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/middleton-bouquet-1.jpg
Hmm, I feel Kate's was also small and had flowers that were too small, but I liked that her bouquet leaned forward so that when you look at her head on you see flowers and not green stems. As for Diana, I actually like her bouquet though I admit it is too big; maybe it works for me because it draws the eye away from the gown. For me the best bridal bouquet's have been the ones that have arrangements that cascade over the hands.

Eugenies bouquet was beautiful. I liked the blue/gray flowers. Also it was the perfect size

Back
Top Bottom