Royal Bridal Veils

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariavittoria

Commoner
City
Rome
Country
Italy
I would like to see some pictures of royal bridal veil actually and past (sorry for my english)

how should be a royal bridal veil?

there are some rule about? (longer lace etc)

There will be always a diamond tiara or not?

Mv

Check the Royal Weddings threads. I dont know if there are rules for royal veils but you can see loads of pictures from different weddings to garner a consensus on style, jewels etc.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/

Last edited:
my favourite veil for Royal Brides
1- CP Maxima
2- CP Letizia
3- CP Mathilde

I don't think there are actual rules about veils -- it seems to be personal preference, tradition and culture. For instance, the on/off face issue. I was looking at videos of the weddings of the Infantas of Spain. Elena wore her veil over her face, and Christina wore it pushed back. In the UK the royal brides tend to wear the veil off the face so that the bride can be seen, but in Diana's case (and Sarah's) she wore it over the face until they went to sign the register and she came back with it re-arranged.

The origin of the material of the lace. They seem to be blessed with antique lace belonging to grannies and great-grannies, so it would be a nod to tradition and a remembrance of a grandmother who's probably gone now.

Length? Probably dependent on the lace available to the brides and their dress designers.

Tiaras probably not required -- but if you have one or the groom's family has one, you probably won't get many opportunities aside from the wedding to wear one, so why not? Princess Caroline of Monaco didn't wear one at her first wedding (nor at the others, for that matter). Sarah Ferguson started out with a garland of flowers and returned with the tiara after her veil had been moved off the face.

Hello! This is my first time posting!

I really loved the veil of Sarah Ferguson. I loved the bow scalloped egdges and the flowers were so pretty they looked edible! I think the idea of having flowers as a commoner to hold her veil then a sparkling diamond tiara as she emerged as a Duchess was wonderful!

I really loved the veil of Sarah Ferguson. I loved the bow scalloped egdges and the flowers were so pretty they looked edible! I think the idea of having flowers as a commoner to hold her veil then a sparkling diamond tiara as she emerged as a Duchess was wonderful!
Actually, I think the flowers were for change in marital status, as according to tradition, only married women wore tiaras. But I also did enjoy the idea very clever, a subtle throwback to an earlier era.

I think Maximas veil was the most beautiful and classic. But I think that Martha Louises veil was the most unique, and interesting.

I think Letizia's veil was really beautiful. I also love the fact that it has the coat of arms of Asturias. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of it.:)

Actually, I think the flowers were for change in marital status, as according to tradition, only married women wore tiaras. But I also did enjoy the idea very clever, a subtle throwback to an earlier era.

I thought the flowers covered the tiara???

There's an interesting article about royal veils here - it contains informationabout adjusting the veil.

Royal veils

What a good idea for a new thread :)

My favorites are as follows:

1. Princess Maxima
2. Princess Grace (close second)
3. Princess Margaret

Well, we know the Queen and Diana wore their tiaras to the wedding, but Sarah wore flowers to the wedding and then changed to a tiara mid-way.

I would expect that most brides wear their tiaras throughout because they would have to take off the veil and possibly disarrange their hair when changing. But that's a guess on my part!

Actually, I liked Sarah's flowers and would have been quite happy had she worn them throughout.

Princess Mary's without a shadow of a doubt. It was stunning. :flowers:

I guess it symbolised her change in status, I think it is sweet, at what point were the flowers replaced for a tiara, can not remember it at all.
I think Mary and Letizia wore tiara's straight through the service.

Well, we know the Queen and Diana wore their tiaras to the wedding, but Sarah wore flowers to the wedding and then changed to a tiara mid-way.

I would expect that most brides wear their tiaras throughout because they would have to take off the veil and possibly disarrange their hair when changing. But that's a guess on my part!

Actually, I liked Sarah's flowers and would have been quite happy had she worn them throughout.

Princess Alexandra of Kent had a beautiful veil set off by the wonderful Russian fringe tiara. She really was a very lovely bride.
Princess Alexandra

I prefer the way Princess Mathilde arranged the veil on her wedding day, instead of the way Princess Claire did. I liked very much Maxima's.

I prefer the way Princess Mathilde arranged the veil on her wedding day, instead of the way Princess Claire did. I liked very much Maxima's.

I actually prefered the way Claire wore it; I believe that Mathilde and Paola wore it very similarly.

:previous: When I look at the pictures closely I do not think it is the same veil unless the border the lace is different at various places.

Mathilde has a sort of leaf pattern and Clair does not.

The way it is worn seems similar to me, the tiara is just different but I would love to hear what makes the difference.

Crown Princess Margarethe of Denmark

Is Queen Margrethe's veil the same as Princess Mary's?
:flowers:

Yes, Princess Mary wore the same wedding veil as Queen Margrethe at her wedding. The veil was first worn by Princess Margaret of Connaught upon her marriage to Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden in 1905. It has since then been worn by her daughter Queen Ingrid and grand-daughters, Queen Margrethe, Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne-Marie and later great grand-daughters Princess Alexandra of Berleburg and Princess Alexia of Greece. Wonderful tradition!!

I'm new to Royalty, so I could be wrong, but perhaps then-Princess Elizabeth and Lady Diana Spencer wore tiaras because they had them in their family, whilst Sarah Ferguson did not?

Sarah Ferguson first wore flowers to hold her veil and later, after the veil was removed, she wore a tiara. Information is on the previous page.

My all time favourite has to be Maxima's. It was just pure perfection.

Yes, I liked that idea too. Indeed, I thought she was an absolutely gorgeous bride. I loved Diana's veil, though, with all those sequins on it.

Back
Top Bottom