Royal Weddings Questions and Discussion Past and Future

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also noticed that in royal weddings the bridesmaids walk behind the bride instead of in front like we do here in the US. Is that a European tradition or just a royal tradition?

Maybe so that all eyes stay on the bride and can fix the train of the bride's wedding dress when she sits down?

:previous:

Thats quite possible. :flowers:

First, I see that many royal couples have both a civil and a religious ceremony. Why? Is it a royal thing or a European tradition? What happens at the civil ceremony?

Second, most royal brides in the pictures I've looked at have sleeves on their wedding dresses. At first, I thought maybe it was about conservative Catholic traditions, but the Protestant houses seem to do it too. So again, is this a royal or European tradition? I think there are some rather nice modern styles without sleeves that are nice. I'm thinking an off-the-shoulder bateau neckline a la Jackie O. Would a future crown princess be able to wear something like that or are sleeves sort of mandatory?

Yes, it is european tradition to have both a civil and a religious ceremony. But its as well likely nowadays to have only a civil ceremony, depends on how romantic and religious you are.

Yes, Princess Michaels and Lady Frederick Windsors necklines were close to the edge for a relgious ceremony because you have to be lie low and decent in a church, for example its not likely to visit a church with T-Shirts and Shorts. At least not in catholic churches, as a catholic myself I cannot speak for the Protestants, but the protestantic weddings I attended included also no bride with a great neckline. :flowers:

:previous:

Thats quite possible. :flowers:

Yes, it is european tradition to have both a civil and a religious ceremony. But its as well likely nowadays to have only a civil ceremony, depends on how romantic and religious you are.

Yes, Princess Michaels and Lady Frederick Windsors necklines were close to the edge for a relgious ceremony because you have to be lie low and decent in a church, for example its not likely to visit a church with T-Shirts and Shorts. At least not in catholic churches, as a catholic myself I cannot speak for the Protestants, but the protestantic weddings I attended included also no bride with a great neckline. :flowers:

Not in all european countries. In euopean Caountries where you have a State Religion like in the UK, Spain and the scandinavian Countries only a reluigious Weddinng need. (In the Uk if you marry in an aglican Ceremony). Then you sign a register after or during the Ceremony, It's Germany, France and the Benelux Countries where the civil Wedding is the only legal Wedding.

I posted this in another thread but no one answered so I'm hoping someone can/will here!

I read The Queen wasn't invited to Freddie Windsor/Sophie Winkleman wedding due to royal protocol. Can someone tell me exactly what that was? Just curious to know.

I also noticed that in royal weddings the bridesmaids walk behind the bride instead of in front like we do here in the US. Is that a European tradition or just a royal tradition?

The purpose of a bridesmaid is exactly that - to act as a "maid" to bride, to assist the bride with her dress, bouquet etc and to carry her train. I'm not sure how a bridesmaid is expected to do these jobs when she is walking in front of the bride - surely by walking behind the bride, a bridesmaid can ensure the train or veil doesn't get caught or can assist properly if the bride trips etc.

I would like to enquire about British Royal weddings. Does anyone know why following the wedding of Princess Margaret where the royal guests & most family members wore long gowns, the tradition now seems to be for short outfits? Is it to do with the time the weddings have taken place? I would love to see a return to the long gowns such as we saw at the recent Swedish nuptials. (Is it nevertheless a growing trend amongst European Royals?)

I would like to enquire about British Royal weddings. Does anyone know why following the wedding of Princess Margaret where the royal guests & most family members wore long gowns, the tradition now seems to be for short outfits? Is it to do with the time the weddings have taken place? I would love to see a return to the long gowns such as we saw at the recent Swedish nuptials. (Is it nevertheless a growing trend amongst European Royals?)

It depends on the wedding itself and whose it is.

For the three Danish Weddings (Joachim x2 and Frederik), Greece (Tatiana and Nikoloas), Norway (both of them) had guests wearing long gowns just like the ones seen at Victoria's wedding.
The Netherlands and Spain have a more "Ascot outfit" type dress code, don't know why perhaps because of the weather or the time etc.

It depends on the wedding itself and whose it is.

For the three Danish Weddings (Joachim x2 and Frederik), Greece (Tatiana and Nikoloas), Norway (both of them) had guests wearing long gowns just like the ones seen at Victoria's wedding.
The Netherlands and Spain have a more "Ascot outfit" type dress code, don't know why perhaps because of the weather or the time etc.

In the 1960's and most daytime Weddings the dresscode was long gowns with Hats for the ladies (like at Prinsjesdag) like at Princess Margaret's Wedding. This was also the case at the Wedding of Queen Beatrix and Princess Margriet, at the 2 greek Weedings etc. The last Wedding who had this dresscode where the Weddings of Grand Duke Henri and the Princesses Marie Astrid and Margaretha of Luxembourg. No all daytime Weddings the dresscode for the ladies is short gown and hats.
The difference to the scandiavian Weddings is that this take place in the afternoon and then the dresscode is white tie. Reason for this this that mosten there is a big dinner and ball after the Wedding and the Guests would have no time to change dresses etc.

Guest outfits also depend on the time of day

At Prince Edward's wedding, women wore long gowns (but no tiara's) as they got married in the evening. Prince Charles and Diana and Andrew & Sarah both had daytime weddings (I think they were both morning.)

The couple set the dress code. They can choose to be formal or VERY formal.

At Prince Edward's wedding, women wore long gowns (but no tiara's) as they got married in the evening.

I hadn't realised this - do you know if any Royal guests wore long?

Yes, they did. The Queen wore a long lilac dress with lots of beading. Here's a link to a picture of The Princess Royal. The young York girls wore day coats, but they were in a shiny fabric.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

The Queen Mother was the only lady who wore day clothes and a hat. At her great age, perhaps a long dress would have been difficult for her to get around in.:flowers:

I hadn't realised this - do you know if any Royal guests wore long?

Ooh about Edward and Sophie's wedding since it was an evening wedding then does that mean they had a reception instead of a wedding breakfast?

I know the British dont allow the reception to be filmed but how about other weddings?

In the countries where a religious service for a Royal Wedding is conducted in a church, is there usually a wedding rehearsal?

For the religious church wedding, please list the minister who married the bride and groom. :onering::onering:

Richard I of England and Berengaria of Navarre: Richard's chaplain, Nicholas, later Bishop of Le Mans
Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Lady Diana Spencer: Robert Runcie, Archbishop of Canterbury
Napoleon I of France and Archduchess Marie Louise of Austria: Cardinal Joseph Fesch

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the British dont allow the reception to be filmed but how about other weddings?

There were pictures/film of the Cambridge's meeting the Prime Minister of Commonwealth realms during the Reception the Queen hosted for them.

At the wedding of Daniel and Victoria there was a lot of filming allowed, all the speeches, the cutting cake and first dance. I think that was pretty much the same for the wedding of Fred and Mary.

There was some filming of the pre wedding dinner for Stephanie and Guillaume but other than that it was pretty private.

I'm not sure about any others.

I was looking at the photos from Edward and Sophie's wedding and it does not appear to be an evening wedding. Their open carriage ride looks like it is full day. I guess it depends on your definition of 'evening.'

The marriage of the Earl and Countess of Wessex was not in the evening, but it was in the late afternoon. I remember the commentator saying that because of some old law, if the couple hadn't made their vows by 5pm they would not be legally married. At the end of the ceremony he said they made it with time to spare.

The marriage of the Earl and Countess of Wessex was not in the evening, but it was in the late afternoon. I remember the commentator saying that because of some old law, if the couple hadn't made their vows by 5pm they would not be legally married. At the end of the ceremony he said they made it with time to spare.

This notion just fascinated me - I had never heard of such a thing. So I did a little research and was surprised. However, it seems the rule was relaxed in 2012 - yet there are still time restrictions on Church of England weddings (it appears now the eligible time has been extended to 6pm)

Legal aspects of marriage - YourChurchWedding.org from the Church of England

BBC News - Night-time weddings to be allowed

love the cultural differences

Wow I didn't know about the legal issue time! Now I've learned something interesting...

I was looking at the photos from Edward and Sophie's wedding and it does not appear to be an evening wedding. Their open carriage ride looks like it is full day. I guess it depends on your definition of 'evening.'

It is the formal day dresscode which was once very normal at every court but is now only observed at special events like the annual Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands, see picture. Ladies in long with headgear, Orders optional.

In the case of Edward and Sophie it was long with headgear too but Orders were not requested, see picture. It was a tad less formal.

:flowers:

Another example of the same dresscode: ladies in long with headgear, gentlemen in jacquet, military in uniform. This was in full winter, so it looks more dressed (fur) but the code was the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the formal day dresscode which was once very normal at every court but is now only observed at special events like the annual Prinsjesdag in the Netherlands, see picture. Ladies in long with headgear, Orders optional.

In the case of Edward and Sophie it was long with headgear too but Orders were not requested, see picture. It was a tad less formal.

:flowers:

Traditionally, evening begins at 6p and ends at 9p.

Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and Heinrich Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
The Great- or Saint James' Church in The Hague
The Rev. Minister Ds Gerrit Jacob van der Flier

Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and Bernhard Prince of Lippe-Biesterfeld
The Rev. Minister Ds Willem Leonard Welter and the Rev. Minister Professor Dr. Herman Theodorus Obbink

Wedding of Princess Irene of the Netherlands and Prince Carlos Hugo de Bourbon de Parme
Capella Borghese of the Basilica Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome
His Eminence Paolo Cardinal Giobbe

Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands and Claus, Jonkheer van Amsberg
The West Church in Amsterdam
The Rev. Minister Ds Henk Kater and The Rev. Minister Ds Johan Hendrik Sillevis Smit

Princess Margriet of the Netherlands and Mr Pieter van Vollenhoven
The Rev. Minister Professor Dr. Hendrikus Berkhof

Wedding of Princess Christina of the Netherlands and Mr Jorge Perez Guillermo
The Dom Church in Utrecht
The Rev. Minister Ds Johannes van der Werff and Father Bernard Bot S.J.

Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands and Ms Petra Laurentien Brinkhorst
The Great- or Saint James Church in The Hague
The Rev. Minister Ds Carel ter Linden

Princess Margarita de Bourbon de Parme and Mr Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn
Cathédrale Sainte-Marie in Auch
Monseigneur Philippe Bär, former Bishop of Rotterdam

The Prince of Orange and Ms Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti
The New Church in Amsterdam

Prince Friso of the Netherlands and Ms Mabel Martine Wisse Smit
The Old Church in Delft

The Duke of Parma and Ms Annemarie Gualthérie van Weezel
Abbaye de la Cambre in Brussels
Monseigneur Philippe Bär, former Bishop of Rotterdam

Princess Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme and Mr Albert Brenninkmeijer
Basilica di San Miniato al Monte in Florence
Father Gregory Brenninkmeijer S.J.

Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme and Ms Viktória Cservenyák
Church of the Assumption of Our Lady in Apeldoorn
Father Tjeerd Jansen S.J.

Last edited:
Can brides get married in a strapless or spaghetti strap gown? I know woman on here don't like those gowns but if a bride did like a strapless could she wear it?

:previous:The problem with strapless gowns for Royal brides is that most-if not all Royal weddings-take place in a church or cathedral presided over by bishops, and for Catholic Royalty-Cardinals and/papal representatives.

Common sense and decency would prevent the bride from appearing in a strapless dress under those circumstances. Also many Cathedrals and basilicas where these weddings typically take place have strict dress codes.

:previous:That's true she did-I forgot!

Her gown was one of the rare strapless dresses that I liked...it fit perfectly!:)

:previous:The problem with strapless gowns for Royal brides is that most-if not all Royal weddings-take place in a church or cathedral presided over by bishops, and for Catholic Royalty-Cardinals and/papal representatives.

Common sense and decency would prevent the bride from appearing in a strapless dress under those circumstances. Also many Cathedrals and basilicas where these weddings typically take place have strict dress codes.

Even among Protestant royals (no matter which church they belong to or what church/cathedral/etc. they're married in), of course, one doesn't see strapless gowns. I think it's just a (perhaps often unspoken) issue of tradition and appropriateness. If a Royal bride wanted to get married in a strapless or spaghetti-strap gown, I think whether or not it would be allowed would be down to that bride's circumstances (e.g. which church she belonged to, which church/cathedral/whatever she's getting married in, and also perhaps the royal family involved). Of course, there's no blanket law against strapless gowns.

Can brides get married in a strapless or spaghetti strap gown? I know woman on here don't like those gowns but if a bride did like a strapless could she wear it?

I'm not sure of the definition of strapless but Crown Princess Victoria had bare shoulders at her wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Back
Top Bottom