Lookalike Gowns

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solange

Aristocracy
City
Antwerp
Country
Belgium
Don't alot of the wedding gowns lookalike, I mean royal wedding dresses. Like Marie-Chantal's, it looks alot like Princess Grace. And Mathilde's and Letizia's, long lost twins.

Interesting point. If you also look at Princess Margaret's dress against her daughter-in-law, Serena Linley, they are very similar as well.

Eliza

Attachments

• 1993 David Linley and Serena Stanhope.jpg
    1993 David Linley and Serena Stanhope.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,298
  • Margaret.jpg
    Margaret.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,082
Here are photos of Princess Grace and and Marie Chantal. As you mentioned, there are certainly siliarities!

Eliza

Attachments

• 1995 P - MarieChantal.jpg
    1995 P - MarieChantal.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,618
  • 1956 Ranier and Grace Kelly.jpg
    1956 Ranier and Grace Kelly.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,375
  • 1995 Pavls and Marie Chantal Miller.jpg
    1995 Pavls and Marie Chantal Miller.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,922
the only similarity between mathilde and letizia's dress is the collar

Last edited:
and I forgot to add that i see no similarity between grace and mariah's dresses,only the tops look alike and there are so many dresses like that

Last edited:
i remind about Princess Diana and Sophie-Rhys Jones have same gowns but its almost lookslike gowns i cant believe it!

Sara Boyce

p.s.cutegirl, please you would post that picture between Crown Princess Mathilde of Belguim and Crown Princess Letizia of Austria

diana & sofie's wedding gowns

in a lot of pics of both diana & sophie. its like sophie copies diana style of dress. so i'm not surprise that sophie's dress looks a lot like diana. it would be nice if people could be a litte more inventive dont u think?

Last edited:
the similarity of the collars...

Attachments

• 9000051531-005.jpg
    9000051531-005.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 746
  • 64g.jpg
    64g.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,633
I think there is absolutely no similarity between Sophie´s and Diana´s dress. Sophie married nearly 20 years after Diana. Diana had this typical 80´s style and it was a very big dress. Sophie had a minor dress with a short train and without Diana´s pomp.

I think there are some similarities between Mathilde and Letizia's dresses in that they were both jackets with high collars over sheath dresses underneath them. But there are many bridal gowns that have this look, such as Martha Louise and Sophie's dresses. The difference between Mathide and Letizia's gowns is in the details such as the embroidery in each of their gowns. I believe Letizia's contained a lot of symbols that related to Asturias and those of the royal house as well as symbols of fertility. I am not sure what was on Mathilde's dress jacket.

I think there was absolutely nothing similar between Diana and Sophie's dresses at all. Diana's dress was puffy all around and had layers upon layers of fabric while Sophie's dress was pretty streamlined. The only similiarity is the one picture of both Diana and Sophie looking back on their way up to the church with their veils on.

azile1710 said:
Interesting point. If you also look at Princess Margaret's dress against her daughter-in-law, Serena Linley, they are very similar as well.

Eliza
I read that Serena purposefully chose for her dress to eminate that of her mother-in-law's. It was a nod to Princess Margaret's style and Serena's entrance into the family by carrying on style. A rather nice touch I thought.

I read that as well! (Serena respectfully "copying" Margaret's dress)

I also agree that Diana and Sophie's dresses had absolutely nothing in common. The styles, sillouettes, fabrics and embelishments were all COMPLETELY different.

Eliza

azile
alright, okay, u r right and iam wrong. but they do have the same hair style do u think?

azile1710 said:
Here are photos of Princess Grace and and Marie Chantal. As you mentioned, there are certainly siliarities!

Eliza
I think that style is a classic. You can see it in old hollywood movies from the 1950s and on brides today. The thing those dresses have in common ofcourse is the see-through or lace top and long sleeves. The bottom part is always different.
Princess Basma's daugther Farah wore a similar dress at her wedding a few months ago.

Attachments

• Untitled-copy.jpg
    Untitled-copy.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 815
semisquare said:
azile
alright, okay, u r right and iam wrong. but they do have the same hair style do u think?
I agree- there are certainly physical resemblances between Sophie and Diana. There is another thread in the British Royal Family section that compares some of their similar style.

I was just trying to point out that their wedding dresses were not very much alike.

Eliza

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think that style is a classic. You can see it in old hollywood movies from the 1950s and on brides today. The thing those dresses have in common ofcourse is the see-through or lace top and long sleeves. The bottom part is always different.
Princess Basma's daugther Farah wore a similar dress at her wedding a few months ago.
Great point! I hadn't realized how this dress was so similar as well! Thanks!

Eliza

Genevieve said:
I read that Serena purposefully chose for her dress to eminate that of her mother-in-law's. It was a nod to Princess Margaret's style and Serena's entrance into the family by carrying on style. A rather nice touch I thought.
I did not know that nor did I see the similarity. That was a wonderful and classy gesture!

The gown worn by Princess Mia in "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" was really, really similar to Princess Claire of Belgium's, right down to the tiaras.

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 1,493
  • laurentbelgium1963-61.jpg
    laurentbelgium1963-61.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,108
If someone could post a picture of Princess Diana's dress and Mariah Carey's dress, they are almost identical. Mariah told designer Vera Wang to copy Diana's dress b/c she was fasinated by the wedding as a young girl.

queenanne said:
The gown worn by Princess Mia in "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" was really, really similar to Princess Claire of Belgium's, right down to the tiaras.

wow that is so interesting!
Maybe they had a look at all the wedding dresses of all the real life princesses and the actress picked the one she liked most? The design suits the twenty-something character she played.

i've noticed something...most royal brides wear dresses that cover the shoulders...aren't Royals allowed to marry in sleeveless gown?

hillary_nugent said:
i've noticed something...most royal brides wear dresses that cover the shoulders...aren't Royals allowed to marry in sleeveless gown?
i think they're allowed,princess martha louise took off her coat during the reception and her dress was sleevless

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,076
Many churches have had rules in the past or still have rules about women covering their shoulders for decorum. Since many Kings are the heads of their country's churches, they must abide by more "old fashioned" traditions.

Fashionista100 said:
If someone could post a picture of Princess Diana's dress and Mariah Carey's dress, they are almost identical. Mariah told designer Vera Wang to copy Diana's dress b/c she was fasinated by the wedding as a young girl.

is this the dress you're talking about?
I can see some similarities..in the skirt and maybe the viel and train. But the sleeves are totally different, so are the bodice and collar.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 781
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 779
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 704
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 566
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 497
  • 4b.jpg
    4b.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 545
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 769
queenanne said:
who's princess mia?she looks beautifull

not always gowns are same,it seems princess martha louise copied the bouquet of princess carolina

Attachments

• Carolina de Mónaco.jpg
    Carolina de Mónaco.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,567
  • galeria18_6.jpg
    galeria18_6.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,382
cute_girl said:
who's princess mia?she looks beautifull
The role of Princess Mia was played by Anne Hathaway, who was discovered by director Gary Marshal and also played the princess in the first Princess Diaries. She has also played Ella in "Ella Enchanted".:)

Last edited:
In Christian churches woman (bride and guests) are not permitted to enter bare-shouldered. That is why when Sophie and Edward married in the evening and female guests came in evening attire there was a special mention in the invitation that they wear jackets or shawls over their shoulders. When my sister married last year she specifically wore a jacket over her dress and was subsequently thanked by the priest who said he was sick of bare shouldered brides being disrespectful in his church. This is why all Christian European brides are dressed so modestly. Frankly I think they look much prettier than celebrity brides or many brides one sees in every day life.

hey look its heidi

can i say that princess caroline look a lot like a grown up heidi or maybe a princess lea from star wars, or is that wrong?
and i really love watching lady di marry prince charles but i never notice,untill now, that her sleeves are so puffie:eek:. i guess that was the 80's for ya.

queenanne said:

Yes!!:) I noticed it also when I was watching the movie

Back
Top Bottom