Least Favourite Royal Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, i didnt know that,but i had no problem with her dress, it was her veil and hairstyle that seem as though it was not thought about. I am sorry!!!!! i didnt mean it to be horrible.

did any one have a look at prince alois's wife's dress?? her sister, Elizabeth of Bavaria dress was beautiful and even her makeup and hair but not Sophie!!!!

Genevieve said:
I think that most people here are comparing Diana's dress with dresses of the recent brides like Mathilde, Maxima, Mary, Letizia and Claire.

Diana got married more than 20 years ago so of course fashion was different. In the 80s dresses like the one Diana wore were quite fashionable and high style. After Diana's wedding, many brides copied Diana's dress for their own weddings.

It may look frumpy and excessive to us now but we are looking at it from a 21st century minimalist eye. You can dislike Diana because it's just not your taste but to say that it was unstylish is untrue. It was the height of fashion for its time.

although you are right that it is not fair to compare it to recent gowns, it remains a terrible dress. Marie-Therese of Luxembourg and her sister-in-law Marguerite married in the same period ut their dresses were much nicer (Marie-Astrids dress wasnt a winner either)

Attached Thumbnails

Duchess Marie Caroline von Württemberg (1991)
2. Hereditary princess Sophie von und zu Liechtenstein (1993)

not so good, but their sister, Elizabeth looked terrific!!!

attachment.php

Marengo said:
although you are right that it is not fair to compare it to recent gowns, it remains a terrible dress. Marie-Therese of Luxembourg and her sister-in-law Marguerite married in the same period ut their dresses were much nicer (Marie-Astrids dress wasnt a winner either)

I don't think Diana's dress was bad at all (would I look good in it? NO.), except for getting so crumpled.

I didn't like Maria Theresa's dress, though.

you can't even see through that veil.

lamass said:
you can't even see through that veil.

It looks like a burka.

The dress underneath the burka was unusual too, for a wedding dress.

Yes, I agree it isn't good. But in the link it says that it is a traditional dress for a certain region and it was given to her I believe. So maybe she did not have a say in it.:eek:

Diana chose an up and coming British husband and wife fashion team for her wedding dress. It really wasn't the style then, a lot of people were surprised. Fergie's wedding dress was more the style for the eighties. With Diana's dress I think they were trying to be too avant garde too clever. But Diana could have worn a paper sack at that wedding and everybody then would have said it was gorgeous.

ysbel said:
Diana chose an up and coming British husband and wife fashion team for her wedding dress. It really wasn't the style then, a lot of people were surprised. Fergie's wedding dress was more the style for the eighties. With Diana's dress I think they were trying to be too avant garde too clever. But Diana could have worn a paper sack at that wedding and everybody then would have said it was gorgeous.

I think that part of the deal with Diana's dress was that they were trying to make a visual impact in the middle of all that space in St. Paul's. That was the reason for the 25 foot train (IMO that was excessive). Sarah's wedding was at Westminster, which was smaller.

But I thought that Sarah's dress was gorgeous, maybe even better than Diana's. And Sarah's dress worked well with her figure, considering that she was at a higher weight than she is now. Sarah was a beautiful bride.

iowabelle said:
I think that part of the deal with Diana's dress was that they were trying to make a visual impact in the middle of all that space in St. Paul's. That was the reason for the 25 foot train (IMO that was excessive). Sarah's wedding was at Westminster, which was smaller.

The size of Diana's train had a lot to do with scale. I saw a documentary about the wedding several years ago where the dressmakers said that the train was so long because of scale. The Cathedral is so massive that it wouldn't have looked right for a woman to walk down an aisle and such a long way on camera with a small train following. It was definitely for visual affect.

I thought that the dress itself was terrible. It seemed to suit Diana to me. I have a hard time picturing her in anything else, but I cannot forget how wrinkled the dress was when Diana got out of the carriage. Major mistake by the designers. They thought about the scale of the cathedral, but not the carriage ride and how wrinkled the dress would be. That was really unattractive.

Last edited:
Isabel, I agree. I wonder why they didn't do a "mock up" and put the dress in the coach and see how it would travel. (Maybe they just weren't thinking about that.)

If she had worn a simpler dress, like Mette-Merit's (which was lovely IMO) it would have looked small and out of proportion with that huge train. And Diana would have looked small -- remember, she was losing all that weight before the wedding.

I wonder what William's and Harry's brides will wear. But guess we won't know that until we know who the brides are! :D Maybe Chelsy will throw an animal down her back in honor of her African heritage! Perhaps something Daddy shot?

iowabelle said:
I wonder what William's and Harry's brides will wear. But guess we won't know that until we know who the brides are! :D Maybe Chelsy will throw an animal down her back in honor of her African heritage! Perhaps something Daddy shot?

I meant, an animal pelt, not an actual animal!

hania said:

Oh my god, could u believe that Claire wore this for her civil ceremony,i mean her wedding dress was fanastc but look at this !!!!

This was NOT the civil ceremony! Just a little administrative task (All couples have to do) : go to the cityhall to confirm you are planning to get married on date X.

Claire & Laurent' s civil wedding was on the same day as their church wedding, so she wore her wedding gown designed by Natan.

Would anyone have a wedding picture of Victoria Lockwood, the Earl of Spencer's first wife. I remember her dress as being hideous.

I don't think anyone's wedding dress should be called hideous. For most women the wedding dress is a combination of life long dreams and fantasies and should be honored as something that is very special to someone. One may not like what is presumably very special to someone else but there are many ways to express an opinion that is different. Most of the time the best way to do that is to keep quiet.

grevinnan

Isabel said:
, but I cannot forget how wrinkled the dress was when Diana got out of the carriage. Major mistake by the designers. They thought about the scale of the cathedral, but not the carriage ride and how wrinkled the dress would be. That was really unattractive.

Well Diana herself later said it was like a box of Kleenex tissue gone haywire. :D

Ironically Sarah had a longer train than Diana even though she got married in the smaller Westminister Abbey.

I didn't know Sarah's train was longer. I thought Diana's was about as big as one could be (and still be pulled around by the wearer).

Sarah's was probably prettier with all the embroidery, and the A and the S. I think she might have had an anchor too in honor of Andrew's naval career. Does anyone else know what designs were on her train?

lallyvee said:
Would anyone have a wedding picture of Victoria Lockwood, the Earl of Spencer's first wife. I remember her dress as being hideous.

I didn't think her dress was bad. It had the brown fur around the wrists, and possibly the neck.

But Victoria didn't look well that day, possibly because of her eating disorder.

Victoria Lockwood

Victoria Lockwood was such a letdown:( Here I was In Charleston, SC, just waiting for the British to do their usual grand thing with royal weddings, thinking that she was going to appear in this beautiful wedding gown with glittering tiara in upswept hair, diamonds shining and dainty lace shoes - then reality hit like a big sopping wet towel.

She made me sad! Her gown looked like she got it out of a thrift shop at night in the dark from the back of the store in the storeroom broom closet:D Her hair look like it had no interest in doing anything except just hanging limply on her shoulders. I guess her hair was as disappointed in her gown as I was and didn't feel the necessity of trying to look good. I was never so disappointed in all my born days:p

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57145

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=182545

Last edited by a moderator:
mgrant, I for one actually remember <liking> Victoria's dress.

Because, refreshingly, it was the opposite of the poofy eighties fashion with hideous fugly Diana-like huge <everything> from sleeves to skirt to...but hey, I guess you must have liked that?! ;)

I liked that it was different; I liked that it was not white, and not cheesy, like all the, or most, other eighties bridal dresses.

I remember seeing pictures of Victoria's second wedding, only a few years back, to someone in South Africa, where she now lives. I liked her choice of outfit again; a very simple, sleevless white dress if I remember correctly. I think I saw that in Hello magazine. Does anyone have any pics of that one by any chance, so we can compare?

princess olga said:
mgrant, I for one actually remember <liking> Victoria's dress.

Because, refreshingly, it was the opposite of the poofy eighties fashion with hideous fugly Diana-like huge <everything> from sleeves to skirt to...but hey, I guess you must have liked that?! ;)

I liked that it was different; I liked that it was not white, and not cheesy, like all the, or most, other eighties bridal dresses.

I remember seeing pictures of Victoria's second wedding, only a few years back, to someone in South Africa, where she now lives. I liked her choice of outfit again; a very simple, sleevless white dress if I remember correctly. I think I saw that in Hello magazine. Does anyone have any pics of that one by any chance, so we can compare?
I can recall that quite a few people thought her wedding gown was elegant and felt she looked like a fairy princess. I, on the other hand, did not think so:p but that's me. I wasn't expecting a Diana clone but I wasn't expecting that either. Believe me, I tried so hard to like it but just couldn't get into her look. I found her attractive otherwise and liked her clothing she wore day to day but her wedding gown was a disappointment, to me.

mgrant said:
Her hair look like it had no interest in doing anything except just hanging limply on her shoulders. I guess her hair was as disappointed in her gown as I was and didn't feel the necessity of trying to look good. I was never so disappointed in all my born days:p

Her hair was bad (just unstyled, hanging straight), but I think it was a very damp day. I remember seeing umbrellas in pictures.

By the way, Diana's hair wasn't all it could have been on her big day because of the humidity.

And a Spencer family wedding couldn't possibly compete with a royal wedding.

Actually I liked Victoria's dress, style, everything!!! including the hair. I think the whole look was very unique and individual. I love the fluffy skin around the dress. I am not sure about the brown color thou but generally the look is so original that if I was to marry againher dress will be my inspiration for a winter wedding in the woods.:rolleyes:

ysbel said:
Well Diana herself later said it was like a box of Kleenex tissue gone haywire. :D

Ironically Sarah had a longer train than Diana even though she got married in the smaller Westminister Abbey.

Sarah's train was not longer. Sarah's train was 18 feet. Diana's was 25 feet. Do you think they would have let Sarah have a longer train at that time and upstage the Princess of Wales??

Diana is on record for having the longest train in Royal British history!

Victoria neva really struck me as stunning either way, she was model as well prior to her marriage!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha, but i dont think so, at least then she could have been forgiven

I remember that when I saw the pics of this wedding I thought "What a brave Bride!". The way she choose her wedding gown against all that 80's big dresses.

I like this picture very much. The expression on Victoria make me think she was more serene at this time.

Her previous expressions made me think that she was going through a lot that day:( . We must concede that she was anorexic at that time, she had all that pressure in entering this family, she was going to be the sister-in-law of Diana (when Victoria considered herself the uggly duck), she and her fiancé aimed for a low-key wedding but the simple attendance of Diana her sons and Prince Charles threw that expectations to ground... when she thought this day couldn't get more difficult she arrived late (around 30 minutes) due to a storm that made her wet to the bones while walking from the car to the church.

I have a picture of Victoria covered with the veil but I wont show it because it will ruin all my defense :D .

Regards.

(I forgot the credits :eek: . Pictures from Hola magazine and posted Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom