In Case of Bad Weather

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catherine Helvin

Nobility
City
St Helens
Country
United Kingdom
Should it rain on the big day, what contingency plans do you think would be put in place?

I guess there'd be a canopy over the entrance to Westminster Abbey so that the bride won't get her train all wet and filthy and that there'll be a fleet of closed coaches standing by.

When the Emanuels made Diana's wedding dress, they made her an umbrella to match it so that if it rained, she'd stay dry and still look beautiful. After all, you can't put a coat or anorak on over a wedding, evening or bridesmaid's dress or a military dress uniform, formal suit or ceremonial robes without totally ruining the look.

After all, you can't put a coat or anorak on over a wedding, evening or bridesmaid's dress or a military dress uniform, formal suit or ceremonial robes without totally ruining the look.

Long ago I wrote that I think Catherine will opt for a winter wedding dress as the Abbey surely is still very cold inside. There are very beautiful examples of winter wedding dresses which work like onion layers: A coat for the arrival and departure, under it a kind of warm jacket for the church and finally the dress with short sleeves (or long sleeves made of lace) for the reception in warm rooms. Each layer designed to look perfect but still very flexible.

When Princess Marina got married back in November 1934, on her way to and from Westminster Abbey, she wore a shawl over her dress to keep her warm as it was a cold and foggy day.

That is a good question! I imagine they will have a canopy of some sort. Does anyone have a long range weather forecast for the 29th?:)

Lady Pamela Mountbatten married David Hicks on January 13, 1960 at Romsey Abbey.
Snow fell hard on the wedding day as the guests arrived.
Snow still fell hard prior to the newlyweds coming out of the Abbey.

Back
Top Bottom