How Did They Meet Their Brides?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbrien1

City
london
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's up and coming wedding seems to reflect a sign of the times where young women can literally meet their 'princes' whilst at university.

Does anyone know of any other interesting stories of how princes first met their brides? I am particularly interested in non-European stories but would be glad for any information at all on this topic!

Very interesting thread. Lets start

- CP Frederik met CP Mary at OG Sydney 2004
- Prince Albert, met Charlene I think in a woldchampionship
- CP Prince Felipe met CP Letizia in the Prestige catastrophy and in a journalist's dinner (I never remember which one of the two events happened first).
- Prince Joachim of DK met Marie in an event with friends
- King Gustav of Sweden met Queen Silvia at the OG of Munich, 1972
- CP Victoria met Daniel when she started exercizing and he was her teacher.
- CP Haakon met MM when she was working in a pastry shop.

That's all I remember now

- Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus met at the wedding-eve party of Tatjana Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Moritz Landgrave of Hesse

- Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa met at University in Geneva

- Crown Prince Willem-Alexander and Crown Princess Maxima first met at the Seville Spring Fair

- Crown Prince Philippe and Crown Princess Mathilde met at a tennis match

fandesacs2003 said:
Very interesting thread. Lets start

- CP Frederik met CP Mary at OG Sydney 2004
- Prince Albert, met Charlene I think in a woldchampionship
- CP Prince Felipe met CP Letizia in the Prestige catastrophy and in a journalist's dinner (I never remember which one of the two events happened first).
- Prince Joachim of DK met Marie in an event with friends
- King Gustav of Sweden met Queen Silvia at the OG of Munich, 1972
- CP Victoria met Daniel when she started exercizing and he was her teacher.
- CP Haakon met MM when she was working in a pastry shop.

That's all I remember now

I though Haakon met Mette Marit at a rock festival.

I though Haakon met Mette Marit at a rock festival.
Quite right, that is the official story, he met her and gave her a lift home.
The olympic games are probably the best place to catch a royal statistically speaking. I for one don't believe that all the girls "had no idea who they were meeting" I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.
What about Laurent and Claire
Friso and mabel
const and Laurent
the greek princes

I read somewhere on the forums that Laurent and Claire met at a gathering at a friend's house and they washed the dishes together after people left/finished eating.

I believe Queen Beatrix is friends with one or both of Princess Laurentin's parents which may be how she and Constantijn met?

Last edited:
I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.

They first met in Seville, Spain and then, again, a few weeks later in New York.

I believe Queen Beatrix is friends with one or both of Princess Laurentin's parents which may be how she and Constantijn met?

Beatrix has been friends with Laurentien's parents for decades - I think she and Laurentien's mother lived together at university. I think Laurentien has known the 3 princes all her life.

Philip and Elizabeth - met when the King and Queen and two young princesses were visiting the naval college at Dartmouth
Harald and Sonja - party at a mutual friend's home
Margrethe and Henrik - dinner party in London, where he was working at the French Embassy and she was studying at the London School of Economics
Benedikte and Richard - Beatrix and Claus's wedding
Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven - met at Leiden University

Quite right, that is the official story, he met her and gave her a lift home.
The olympic games are probably the best place to catch a royal statistically speaking. I for one don't believe that all the girls "had no idea who they were meeting" I heard that Maxima and WA met at a dinner party in NY and he told her that he was the "prince of the netherlands", but she didn't notice him too much, adn he was taken by her bubbley nature.
For MM and Haakon I think they knew themselves already from the place she was working and after that they met at the rock festival.
As regards if they girls "knew", CP Mary said that she perfectly knew.
For MM and Letizia, being from the same country, I'm sure that they knew.
The only one whi did not know was Grand Duchess Maria Theresa. They met at the University in Geneva and he was there ingognito. This i believe, because is easy to live incognito in Geveva.

I thought Mary did not know who Frederik was until she was told. Because Mette-Marit is Norwegian she definitely knew Haakon was right?

I don't know the details of Haakon and Mette-Marit's meeting but I would certainly hope she knew who he was! If not, when they announced the engagement, being both Norwegian and marrying the heir of the country she had lived in all her life, she would have appeared to have crawled out from under a rock, or to not be at all patriotic (even in the remotest way), or plain uneducated (surely the majority of healthy people, despite their political leanings, would know if they had a monarch and, at the very least, his/her name and the name of the heir and surely if they took even a small interest in the news/affairs of their country they would recognize the important faces). If it turns out that Mette-Marit did not know who he was when they first met, then I hope she thought it a very close look-alike to the crown prince!

Last edited:
I thought Mary did not know who Frederik was until she was told. Because Mette-Marit is Norwegian she definitely knew Haakon was right?

I've read that Mary Donaldson and her friends had known that there would be some members of various royal houses at the Slip Inn that evening, but they weren't sure who was who when they first saw the group. As I recall royal cousins Felipe, Nico, and Frederik were present there and maybe Princess Martha Louise.

:previous: I read something similar about their meeting also, although I don't recall which other royals were present. I wonder if the Crown Prince of Denmark was pointed out to Mary before they actually spoke.

:previous: Actually, if we are going to diverge from their stated "meetings", I believe a credible reference is required. If not, we can basically say what we want and just become another tabloid on a slow new day! :bang:

What about king and queen of Sweden? King and queen of Spain? I read somewhere that Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding had been decided by their families. Is it true? It could be possible because at that time Spain lived very difficult events, and we could also think that in this past things happened like this, but didn't Elizabeth and Philip make a "love-wedding"?

What about king and queen of Sweden? King and queen of Spain? I read somewhere that Juan Carlos and Sofia's wedding had been decided by their families. Is it true? It could be possible because at that time Spain lived very difficult events, and we could also think that in this past things happened like this, but didn't Elizabeth and Philip make a "love-wedding"?
King and Queen of Sweden met during Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, when Silvia Sommerlath worked as a hostess and an interpreter to official guests (which included Prince Carl Gustaf)
King and Queen of Spain met in 1954 during a cruise on a yacht "Agamemnon" belonging to her parents, but no sooner than in 1961, on the wedding party of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, they realized that they were in love.:flowers:

King and Queen of Sweden met during Olympic Games in Munich in 1972, when Silvia Sommerlath worked as a hostess and an interpreter to official guests (which included Prince Carl Gustaf)
King and Queen of Spain met in 1954 during a cruise on a yacht "Agamemnon" belonging to her parents, but no sooner than in 1961, on the wedding party of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, they realized that they were in love.:flowers:
realy? veyr nice story :wub: , any body know how Princess Maxima meet her Husband?

Thank you! :flowers::flowers: I love being told about royal love stories! :wub::wub:

Prince Bertil and Lilian Craig met in London in 1943, at the nightclub Les Ambassadeurs, where she was with some friends. The nightclub owner presented her to Bertil, and she got his telephone number. She called him a couple of days later and invited him to her 28th birthday party. All according to princess Lilian's self biography and this artcle: Paret som säkrade den svenska tronen | Inrikes | SvD

As for the first meeting of Carl Gustav and Siliva Sommerlath, the small photo in this article is said to be from that meeting: Aftonbladet mediecenter: 100 r med Aftonbladet

The parents of king Carl Gustav of Sweden, prince Gustav Adolf and princess Sibylla met eachothers for the first time in November 1931 at the wedding of lady May Cambridge and Henry Abel Smith. Princess Sibylla and princess Ingrid of Sweden were bridesmaids, and Ingrid introduced her brother to Sibylla.

:previous: Actually, if we are going to diverge from their stated "meetings", I believe a credible reference is required. If not, we can basically say what we want and just become another tabloid on a slow new day! :bang:

Which would be fine as long as the reference about their stated meetings are not themselves nor anyone to do with the royal courts or pr deparments, as none of those sources are credible. They all try and paint a picture that is much better than the actual events. A fun-loving but rather forward group of young women rubbing their hands inside the shirts of princes in a bar to settle a discussion about chest hair is hardly the image of a perfect crown princess. BTW - Fred and Mary didn't meet "at" the Olympics....they met at a bar in a hotel "during" the Olympic games in Sydney.

Prince Joachim met miss Alexandra Manley, while he was working in Hong Kong for (IIRC) the Mærsk Group.

Prince Bertil and Lilian Craig met in London in 1943, at the nightclub Les Ambassadeurs, where she was with some friends. The nightclub owner presented her to Bertil, and she got his telephone number. She called him a couple of days later and invited him to her 28th birthday party. All according to princess Lilian's self biography and this artcle: Paret som säkrade den svenska tronen | Inrikes | SvD

As for the first meeting of Carl Gustav and Siliva Sommerlath, the small photo in this article is said to be from that meeting: Aftonbladet mediecenter: 100 r med Aftonbladet
Both King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia have talked about their first meeting. Silvia was in the VIP section and felt someone looking at her, she turned around and Crown Prince Carl Gustav was looking at her through his binoculars just a few feet away. They both laughed and that was the start. He then invited her to his sister Princess Birgitta for a family dinner a day or so later and everyone felt she was a very different girl from all the others he had dated. I believe it was P Birgitta that mentioned that here was a young woman that could engage in a meaningful and intelligent conversation.

The photo posted may have been from the evening of the first meeting.

I read Mary first hit on Nicolas of Greece, but was rebuffed, then she went for Fredrick, and she knew who he was, he was there with Nicholas. I dont remember where I read this, but it was during the days of the wedding.

Which would be fine as long as the reference about their stated meetings are not themselves nor anyone to do with the royal courts or pr deparments, as none of those sources are credible. They all try and paint a picture that is much better than the actual events. A fun-loving but rather forward group of young women rubbing their hands inside the shirts of princes in a bar to settle a discussion about chest hair is hardly the image of a perfect crown princess. BTW - Fred and Mary didn't meet "at" the Olympics....they met at a bar in a hotel "during" the Olympic games in Sydney.
This is the first time I have heard that particular "version", and the Australasian womens magazines were absolutely blitzed with their "Romance"!

I read Mary first hit on Nicolas of Greece, but was rebuffed, then she went for Fredrick, and she knew who he was, he was there with Nicholas. I dont remember where I read this, but it was during the days of the wedding.
See above comment!

Whilst Mary is not my favourite royal, I do take exception to the downright slanderous allegations you have both chosen to make about her actions and motives. If you do not have credible references please refrain as without them, you are merely spreading vicious gossip.

I am also at a loss as to why CP Mary has been singled out as the "sleaze factor"!

Last edited:
it was not my intention to spread any vicious gossip. I thought we were supposed to report what we read about meetings. I have never even set foot in Australia or Denmark, and have no desire to be vicious about ANYONE.All I have written is what I read at that time. I didnot claim that it was true, and unlike Rascal I didn't even give an opinion. I have not singled her out, she was the only one I remotely remember reading about!

I doubt that very few, if any, of today's crown princess, princesses and non-royal-born queens dreamed about a royal wedding when they first started dating their future husbands. I would guess that most of them believed that the meeting would just lead to an interesting date or two, not the beginning of something that would lead into marriage. The only exception I can think of would be lady Diana Spencer, when she began seeing prince Charles (a man she had known since she was a little girl), as she must have known that with her background she was a possible bride for the prince of Wales.

This is the first time I have heard that particular "version", and the Australasian womens magazines were absolutely blitzed with their "Romance"!

Of course the Australian women's magazines portray/portrayed Mary and her relationship in the most flattering/fairy tale/perfect light. They are part of the pr machine that force feeds a perfect/ideal version of events and people, hoping that people like yourself will believe and accept it without a critical eye. Hope you enjoyed the kool-aid.

Whilst Mary is not my favourite royal, I do take exception to the downright slanderous allegations you have both chosen to make about her actions and motives. If you do not have credible references please refrain as without them, you are merely spreading vicious gossip.

Actually, slander refers to spoken defamation. I believe what you mean to say is "libelous allegations". If this was a case of libel, Mary would have to prove the following:
1. That the statements are false. (libel fails, as these are true)
2. The statement caused harm. (libel fails, your opinion of Mary hasn't changed, nor is she less famous)
3. The statement was made without adequate research into its truthfulness (libel fails, more than adequate research was done - Google it.)
These are the standards for ordinary citizens. For celebrities and public officials they must also prove:
4. The statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth. (libel fails, the statement was only a response and is well-researched)

As I consider Mary to be a celebrity, she would also be required to prove the fourth standard. As all four standards are not met, this is not a case of libel.

Per your concern about "credible references", I have and could post them but will refrain from doing so. Please see the thread concerning "Most Annoying Celebrities" in which there are many pages of what some would consider libelous remarks, including inciting physical harm on the subjects of the thread. None of these posts cited or required sources for their validity. As I consider royals to be celebrities, I will hold them (including Mary) to the same standards as these other celebrities.

I am also at a loss as to why CP Mary has been singled out as the "sleaze factor"!

I didn't single out Mary, I responded to your original post, which responded to a post about Fred and Mary meeting at the Slip Inn in Sydney. In addition, you are the one characterizing the behavior I described as sleazy. If you believe that behavior is sleazy, then you are the one saying Mary is sleazy. I only said that behavior did not fit the image of the perfect crown princess.

Back to the issue of singling out - you brought it up, so I will do so now. All, perhaps with the exception of Mathilde, of the current crown princely consorts have some sort of shortcomings, "pasts", "scandals", etc. for which they have been criticised. However, Mary (and/or the DRF and/or the pr machines they use to paint a rosey picture) tries to portray herself in a manner that is inauthentic. This thread is not the place to discuss that and these forums seem very resistant to looking at Mary, in particular, with a broad, unbiased view. All of the other CPs put out there exactly who they are, warts and all, and make mistakes, and do their jobs without putting on airs or hiding/diminishing/completely reamping less flattering things in their past.

Of course the Australian women's magazines portray/portrayed Mary and her relationship in the most flattering/fairy tale/perfect light. They are part of the pr machine that force feeds a perfect/ideal version of events and people, hoping that people like yourself will believe and accept it without a critical eye. Hope you enjoyed the kool-aid.

Actually, slander refers to spoken defamation. I believe what you mean to say is "libelous allegations". If this was a case of libel, Mary would have to prove the following:
1. That the statements are false. (libel fails, as these are true)
2. The statement caused harm. (libel fails, your opinion of Mary hasn't changed, nor is she less famous)
3. The statement was made without adequate research into its truthfulness (libel fails, more than adequate research was done - Google it.)
These are the standards for ordinary citizens. For celebrities and public officials they must also prove:
4. The statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth. (libel fails, the statement was only a response and is well-researched)

As I consider Mary to be a celebrity, she would also be required to prove the fourth standard. As all four standards are not met, this is not a case of libel.

Per your concern about "credible references", I have and could post them but will refrain from doing so. Please see the thread concerning "Most Annoying Celebrities" in which there are many pages of what some would consider libelous remarks, including inciting physical harm on the subjects of the thread. None of these posts cited or required sources for their validity. As I consider royals to be celebrities, I will hold them (including Mary) to the same standards as these other celebrities.

I didn't single out Mary, I responded to your original post, which responded to a post about Fred and Mary meeting at the Slip Inn in Sydney. In addition, you are the one characterizing the behavior I described as sleazy. If you believe that behavior is sleazy, then you are the one saying Mary is sleazy. I only said that behavior did not fit the image of the perfect crown princess.

Back to the issue of singling out - you brought it up, so I will do so now. All, perhaps with the exception of Mathilde, of the current crown princely consorts have some sort of shortcomings, "pasts", "scandals", etc. for which they have been criticised. However, Mary (and/or the DRF and/or the pr machines they use to paint a rosey picture) tries to portray herself in a manner that is inauthentic. This thread is not the place to discuss that and these forums seem very resistant to looking at Mary, in particular, with a broad, unbiased view. All of the other CPs put out there exactly who they are, warts and all, and make mistakes, and do their jobs without putting on airs or hiding/diminishing/completely reamping less flattering things in their past.

Unless one of us was actually there, the "chest rubbing" story as well as any version magazines come up with are all hearsay, and so perhaps the official story given in their engagement interview should stand for Frederik and Mary. Frederik is not stupid and I really don't think he would see the woman rubbing his cousin's and his chests to be his future wife and the future CP of Denmark. So it's a bit easier to believe the "candy-coated" version as some of you may call it...

:previous:
To quote a few of the posters in this forum:
"Some people just see what they want to...."

and again I say that statement is a load of crap. Everyone uses that to filter what they see and hear, including the people who WANT to believe the sugar-coated version.

BTW, if we should just, as you suggest, take their word for it regarding F&M's engagement interview, then the same validity should be applied to those present at the Slip Inn that night, who invited Mary along, and who are quoted in interviews from that same time regarding that night.

Back
Top Bottom