Hairstyles of Royal Brides

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem with Kate's hair is she did it herself, a professional probably could have done the look better, same with her makeup.

Exactly. On the one hand that type of self-assurance is to be commended. But a professional would have known about TV lights, camera angles, etc.

Since Kate has such nice hair she had the potential to be one of the best Royal brides with her hairdo, instead she is one of the worst imo,

And her makeup made her face look dark orange/brown with severe eyebrows.:ohmy:

I was very disappointed all around.:sad:

I think Kate should have worn her hair down, it's her best feature and she loves to show it off; but it needed to be done better. It went limp and seemed to need hair spray that would make the curls stay. I believe William and Kate woukd have preferred a small intimate affair but his position would never allow that, so Kate's simple dress and self done hairstyle were her way of keeping the affair closer to the heart and not a national event. I admire her desire but don't admire the result.

:previous: Yes indeed...great points

Her hair is her best feature. My frustration is that on this one occasion-the most important of her public life-it wasn't displayed well.

Her hair has never looked more amazing than it did at the announcement of her engagement, for example. That's the way it should have looked on her wedding day.

I think Kate should have worn her hair down, [.....]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Noooooo !!!!! Not the hair down!!!!!

:lol:

She had to set herself as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus. As a future Princess of Wales. As a future Queen.

Those girlie hairdoes are nice with a sloane ranger skirt and pullover but really, during a royal wedding the hair should be up. She had to make a step up. No longer schoolgirlie Kate from St Andrews but The Duchess of Cambridge.

Why do ballerinas always wear their hair up? Because it immediately takes them a level higher in grace and elegance. A good updo with veil is unbeatable. Add to this that Catherine has a looong structured face with a pronounced chin. The loooong hair make her looking so unpoised and give a slouch posture.

:flowers:

Hair up: http://thestylogue.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/rexfeatures_1712040v_0.jpg

Last edited:
Wearing your hair down does not take away from elegance or looking regal. Plenty of brides have worn their hair down and have like fantastic, case in point Queen Elizabeth. The best wedding hair I have seen was a half up half down look which Kate was going for. This idea that the only way to look regal is to force your hair into a bun is ridiculous and I'm honestly sick of hearing it. Wearing the hair up might be a personal preference of a viewer but it is no better than wearing the hair down. Plenty of woman look sophisticated with their hair down, half up, curled, or all the way up. The style doesn't matter as long as it looks good.
Lalla Sama had the best royal wedding hair I have ever seen and it was half up half down.

Last edited:
The problem with Kate's hair is she did it herself, a professional probably could have done the look better, same with her makeup.
I am staggered that she did it herself. That was a day that will live in history and we have novice Catherine doing her own thing with her hair and makeup.

This was definitely one time that someone should have stood their ground and told her no.

However, I do not believe there is a general rule for bridal hair. Each case should be considered on its own merits,

She did not do her own wedding day hair. She had her regular hairdresser do it. He gave an interview about the trial run he did with a toy tiara to test the up/do in several publications. His name was James Pryce.

Kate Middleton's Wedding Hairdresser Has Fallen Out Of Favor With The Duchess: REPORT

Kate did indeed do her own makeup with Bobbi Brown cosmetics, after receiving a consultation with a makeup artist from that company.

Bobbi Brown has awesome products-top of the line-especially the concealer. But I don't think Kate's efforts were a success. In several photos her face looks almost orange and her eyebrows way too strong.:sad:

She did not do her own wedding day hair. She had her regular hairdresser do it. He gave an interview about the trial run he did with a toy tiara to test the up/do in several publications. His name was James Pryce.

Kate Middleton's Wedding Hairdresser Has Fallen Out Of Favor With The Duchess: REPORT

Kate did indeed do her own makeup with Bobbi Brown cosmetics, after receiving a consultation with a makeup artist from that company.

Bobbi Brown has awesome products-top of the line-especially the concealer. But I don't think Kate's efforts were a success. In several photos her face looks almost orange and her eyebrows way too strong.:sad:

Eventually she had hairdresser and the result was that :ohmy: I'm sorry this guy (James Pryce) because i'm sure that everything suggested Kate must made its own. And the make-up agree:bang:

Wearing your hair down does not take away from elegance or looking regal. [...] QUOTE]

In theory you are right but sadly it does often not work in practice. When you look at wedding pictures with brides wearing the hair up, they are almost always timeless. When you look at wedding pictures with brides wearing the hair down. Hmmm...

Lady Catherine Percy on her wedding day - with the hair down (picture)

Lady Melissa Percy on her wedding day - with the hair up (picture)

Who looked more like a daughter of His Grace The Duke of Northumberland going to marry? Lady Catherine with a diamond diadem on her hanging hairdo or Lady Melissa with un vrai chignon topped with another diadem?

Lady Diana Spencer with hanging hair, wearing a Spencer diadem (picture)

Victoria, Countess Spencer with hanging hair and the same diadem (picture)

The Princess of Wales with her bridal diadem but now with the hair up (picture)
:wub:

Those magnificent tiaras worn by the Percy sisters don't flatter either of them.

Lady Catherine's looks as if she plopped hers on her head as an afterthought on her way out the door and Lady Melissa's looks too large for her head. It looks like it's going to slide down and cover her eyes!:lol::ohmy:

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. Melissa Percy has a long rather angular face with an aquiline nose like her father's. The family coronet did not flatter her at all. Too large. She would have looked better with the Percy tiara, but worn with a not too severe up do. Katie Percy was rather eccentric in the way she wore this tiara. Perhaps she thought it was fun?

So I guess I will be the first to bring up the recent royal brides hair in this thread. The words that come to mind when I see her hair are messy, unkempt, and thrown together. Not only is there hair coming from the sides but also some coming out of the back.

So I guess I will be the first to bring up the recent royal brides hair in this thread. The words that come to mind when I see her hair are messy, unkempt, and thrown together. Not only is there hair coming from the sides but also some coming out of the back.

I didn't notice her hair.. I thought that her outfit as a whole was not particularly attractive.. (I don't like criticising someone's wedding dress but it seemed to vbe very generic... and I didn't like the veil.. (too thin) or the tiara. I think as she was an older bride, she could have maybe opted for some other form of headgear, a hat, or ornaments or flowers...

You're correct and perceptive. The long strand which had escaped from the front appeared to have had it's roots -pardon the pun- at the centre parting. It MAY have once been a fringe/shorter layer. Whatever it was, it was clearly too short to have been fixed into the chignon. Back in those heady days when hairdressers could cement a bride's hair within an inch of it's life with hairspray It MAY have been possible to prevent such 'disobedience' -these days more and more brides are wanting to look as if they've done their hair themselves. They want a softening of severity. As a one time hairdresser, I've pulled strands free to aid that look. The logistics which would have been required to prevent escaping strands would have resulted in different hairstyle ie the chignon would have needed repositioning and/or reshaping. Such may not have been the look the bride wanted to acheive -I've noted that her hand frequently strays up to remove a recalcitrant strand from her face. I feel the use of the words "messy, unkempt and thrown together" -because of two escaping strands in an otherwise exquisite look- are an exaggeration.

I didn't notice her hair.. I thought that her outfit as a whole was not particularly attractive.. (I don't like criticising someone's wedding dress but it seemed to vbe very generic... and I didn't like the veil.. (too thin) or the tiara. I think as she was an older bride, she could have maybe opted for some other form of headgear, a hat, or ornaments or flowers...

I did a hasty sketch about an hour before the wedding. I was aiming for ethereal which is exactly what it was. I got the back wrong, but other than that I was spot on about the shape and material. Personally, I thought the gossamer veil was a joy.

You wanted her to wear a hat on her wedding day? :/

I think her hair was the one weak point in an otherwise very successful overall bridal look.

The problem was all from the front, imo.

But according to her hairdresser Serge Normant, the messy bun with strands falling was exactly what Meghan wanted.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the veil ruin her up do? It's very long and even though it's gossamer thin, it must be pretty heavy. The same thing happened to my friend and her veil wasn't even as long

I think the somewhat messy hair is her signature. No reason Meghan would changes just for her wedding. Personally, I like a relaxed look, but it is not to everyone's taste.

My guess is that her hair is being forced to do something it would not naturally do. It's hard to make hair behave without serious interventions that are potentially damaging under those circumstances.

I did a hasty sketch about an hour before the wedding. I was aiming for ethereal which is exactly what it was. I got the back wrong, but other than that I was spot on about the shape and material. Personally, I thought the gossamer veil was a joy.

Ethereal is the word I would use to describe her veil also. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and paired well with her dress.

I think the somewhat messy hair is her signature. No reason Meghan would changes just for her wedding. Personally, I like a relaxed look, but it is not to everyone's taste.

My guess is that her hair is being forced to do something it would not naturally do. It's hard to make hair behave without serious interventions that are potentially damaging under those circumstances.

There'd have been no problem in the days when back-brushing and lacquer were used as a back-up to those other serious and potentially damaging interventions, the very least of which would leave hair with the texture of straw. Back then, it was a question of forcing the hair to do what client and stylist wanted. Now, thankfully, women, generally, and brides in particular, want a more natural look.

In the official couple photos she let loose the front strand. Now, why didn't she do that in the wedding instead of tucking it behind the ear? It would have looked natural and not messy.

My favorites in royal bridal hair
CP Mary of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Queen Mathilde
Princess Sofia of Sweden

In the official couple photos she let loose the front strand. Now, why didn't she do that in the wedding instead of tucking it behind the ear? It would have looked natural and not messy.

Probably because she can have the hairstylist on standby during the photos. Those strands, unfortunately, wouldn't have worked well with the breeze as she was walking up the steps and the carriage ride.

Wish the hair was a little different... I think this style would have been perfect for the overall style of the evening - https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c9/76/b0/c976b079b71909c0e2638cd0832ed6ca.jpg

This would have been a nice clean look, but it might be too fierce for what she was wanting. There is a way to have loose strands in your hair without it looking like you just got done jogging. You need to have enough stands down that its obvious it was a choice. Her hair if the official picture was better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom