Churches Where Royals Married

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joroyale

Commoner
City
queens
Country
United States
name the church and city where royals got married

Københavns Domkirke = Frederik og Mary
Holmens Kirke= Margrethe II og Henrik
Niewe Kerk = Maxima og WA
Oslo Domkirke= Mette-Marit og Haakon

Edward and Sophie, Charles and Camilla, Peter and Autumn: St. George Chapel, Windsor
Philippe and Mathilde, Laurent and Claire; Sint Michiel and Sint Goedele Cathedral, Brussels
Maximilian and Angela of Liechtenstein: St. Vincent Ferrer Church, New York
Bernhard and Annette of Oranje-Nassau: Domkerk, Utrecht
Constantijn and Laurentien: St. Jacobs Church, The Hague
Märtha Louise and Ari: Nidarosdomen, Trondheim
Kalina of Bulgaria and Kitin: Tsarska Bistriza Palace, Borovets
Maurits and Marilene of Oranje-Nassau: Grote Kerk, Apeldoorn
Donatus and Floria of Hesse: Johanniskirche, Kronberg im Taunus
Maria-Annunziata of Bourbon- dos Sicilies and Count Fredrik Creutz: St. Henrys Church, Helsinki
Fleur of Württemberg and Moritz: Schlosskirche, Altshausen
Friso and Mabel: Oude Kerk, Delft
Felipe and Letizia: Santa Maria la Real de la Almudena, Madrid
Feodora of Rosenborg and Eric: Holmens Kirke, Copenhagen
Alexandra and Nadja-Anna of Schaumburg-Lippe: Stadtkirche Bückeburg
Marie-Christine of Austria-Este and Rodolphe: St. Rombouts Cathedral, Mechelen
Hubertus and Kelly of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha: St. Moritz Kirche, Coburg
Joachim and Marie: St. Nicolai Church, Mogeltonder
Alois and Sophie of Liechtenstein, Tatjana of Liechtenstein and Philipp, Hans-Adam and Marie: St. Florin, Vaduz
Constantin and Marie of Liechtenstein: Village church, Csiscó
Heinrich of Hannover and Thyra von Westernhagen: St. Andreaskirche, Teistungen
Pieter-Christiaan and Anita: St. Jeroenskerk, Noordwijk
Floris and Aimee: Grote Kerk, Naarden
Irene of Oranje-Nassau and Carlos-Hugo of Bourbon-Parma: Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome
Christina of Oranje-Nassau and Jorge: Cathedral of Saint Martin, Utrecht
Astrid of Norway and Martin Ferner, Ragnhild of Norway and Erling Lorentzen: Asker Church, Asker
Harald and Sonja: Domkirke, Oslo
Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia: Storkyrkan Cathedral, Stockholm
Margaretha of Sweden and John: Gärdslösa Church, Gärdslösa
Sibylla Ambler and Cornelius: Kloster Schäftlarn, near Starnberg
Birgitta of Sweden and Johann Georg of Hohenzollern: St. Johannskirche, Sigmaringen
Désirée of Sweden and Baron Carl Silfverschiöld: Storkyrkan Cathedral, Stockholm
Christina of Sweden and Tord: Palace Church, Stockholm
Pavlos and Marie-Chantal, Alexia and Carlos: Saint Sophia Cathedral, London
Constantin and Anne-Marie: Greek Orthodox Cathedral, Athens
Juan Carlos and Sophia: Church of Saint Dennis, Athens
Elena and Jaime: Sevilla Cathedral, Sevilla
Philipp Erasmus and Isabelle of Liechtenstein: Abbaye de Notre Dame de la Cambre, Brussels
Nikolaus of Liechtenstein and Margaretha of Luxemburg: Notre Dame Cathedral, Luxemburg

:previous: For Juan Carlos and Sofia, Saint Dennis was where the Catholic ceremony was held. However, there was also a Greek ceremony at the Metropolitan Cathedral in Athens.

The Prince and Princess of Wales: St Paul's Cathedral, London

The Duke and Duchess of York: Westminster Abbey, London

The Duke and Duchess of Kent: York Minster

Lady Helen Windsor (daughter of the Duke of Kent) and Timothy Taylor: St George's Chapel, Windsor

Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones (Princess Margaret's daughter) and Daniel Chatto: St Stephen, Walbrook, London

Viscount (Princess Margaret's son)and Viscountess Linley: St Margaret's church, Westminster

James Ogilvy (Princess Alexandra's son)and Julia Rawlinson: St Mary the Virgin, Saffron Walden

I want to pose a question- since many of the English Royals have married at St. George's Chapel at Windsor in recent years, do you think this is where William would choose to marry as well? Or, as heir to the throne, would he choose Westminster Abbey?

Somehow, I do not see him choosing St. Paul's Cathedral.

Queen Elizabeth II married in Westminster, he might avoid St Paul's and opt for St Georges or Westminster.

I think it would be wonderful if he got married in St Paul's Cathedral as it's bigger, the acoustics are better and the guests would get a better view of the ceremony. Also, there's that majestic flight of steps at the West end that would show off the bride's train.

Sweden
Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia: Storkyrkan Cathedral, Stockholm
Prince Bertil of Sweden and Lilian Craig Palace Church, Stockholm
Princess Margaretha of Sweden and John: Gärdslösa Church, Gärdslösa
Princess Birgitta of Sweden and Johann Georg of Hohenzollern: St. Johannskirche, Sigmaringen
Princess Désirée of Sweden and Baron Carl Silfverschiöld: Storkyrkan Cathedral, Stockholm
Princess Christina of Sweden and Tord: Palace Church, Stockholm
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Daniel Westling Storkyrkan Cathedral, Stockholm

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert: Chapel Royal, St James's Palace, London

Wooo! Thankfully I found this thread because i was about to start a new one about the churches some of these couples got married in. I've just been watching some videos of these weddings and I think the most beautiful churches have to be where Letizia and Felipe got married as well as Willem Alexander and Maxima.

I loved the churches where Letizia,Maxima and Victoria got married.

I love St George's Chapel - it is such a beautiful gothic building. I would personally choose that for myself, if it were possible. It's just so beautiful. I do like Westminster Abbey but it's just much too big really. It is not quite as intimate as St George's Chapel. The same goes for St Paul's Cathedral - it's much too big, too much wide open space. The architecture of the building itself is stunning, beyond anything I have seen. When I saw St Paul's in person I was overwhelmed by it's beauty, but I was struck by how big and impersonal it also felt.

I liked where Charlene and Albert married and Victoria and Daniel.

I love St George's Chapel - it is such a beautiful gothic building. I would personally choose that for myself, if it were possible. It's just so beautiful. I do like Westminster Abbey but it's just much too big really. It is not quite as intimate as St George's Chapel. The same goes for St Paul's Cathedral - it's much too big, too much wide open space. The architecture of the building itself is stunning, beyond anything I have seen. When I saw St Paul's in person I was overwhelmed by it's beauty, but I was struck by how big and impersonal it also felt.

I liked where Charlene and Albert married and Victoria and Daniel.

I couldn't agree more. That chapel has such a family feel to it, a place where family comes together to celebrate important occasions.

Københavns Domkirke = Frederik og Mary
Københavns Domkirke = Vor Frue Kirke, København = Copenhagen Cathedral :flowers:

Joachim and Marie: St. Nicolai Church, Mogeltonder
The correct name is Møgeltønder Kirke :flowers:

And let´s add: Prince Joachim and Miss Alexandra Christina Manley: Frederiksborg Slotskirke (The church at Frederiksborg Castle)

Last edited:
Diana and Charles - St. Paul's Cathedral, London, England.

Didn't Albert and Charlene get married at the Palace? That would explain why their location looked to amazing.
And I have to be honest, Daniel and Victoria's church was lackluster and boring IMO.

I have to admit, I am a fan of the British churches of Royal weddings. They are all so beautiful and the architecture is amazing. St George's Chapel is a stunning piece of architecture as it looks so gothic, yet it is beautiful. St Paul's Cathedral is another amazing building, it's so vast and beautiful.

The church of Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding was stunning, particularly the front of it.

The Cathedral of Notre-Dame de Luxembourg boggles the mind...it is so beautiful and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa had it decorated to perfection for her son's wedding.

Westminster Abbey and St Paul's Cathedral in London are also astonishing, not to mention dripping with history.

I love St George's Chapel Windsor because of it's historical significance-Henry VIII is buried there among many others-but I have to admit that on TV it looks rather claustrophobic for my taste.

The Royal Chapel where Victoria and Daniel baptized their daughter Estelle is very beautiful.

It's a pity that there will never be a royal wedding in what I think is the most wonderful royal church, the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, the upper chapel would be a magnificent setting for a wedding: Sainte-Chapelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , especially on a sunny day when the sun shines through all the stain-glass windows.

It's a pity that there will never be a royal wedding in what I think is the most wonderful royal church, the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris, the upper chapel would be a magnificent setting for a wedding: Sainte-Chapelle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , especially on a sunny day when the sun shines through all the stain-glass windows.

Yes that is an amazing church! Also, Notre Dame is an absolutely breathtaking church!

Last edited:

That is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen..almost overwhelming. I was sad to read of it's desecration during the French Revolution by those impious beasts. :ermm:

But it has been beautifully restored...thanks for the link Meraude.

That is one beautiful church! I have visted it in person and it's even more amazing! Notre Dame is also wonderful!

Hate to say Madrid´s Cathedral is the ugliest of the three for me, with difference. But then again, I´m not a fan of historicist buildings. The environment and the set with the palace are amazing, though. The view of both buildings from the river (they´re placed at the highest point of the city) is simply startling.
Photo taken by me: http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/3931/p3230071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw clips of the wedding of Elena and Jaime...that Cathedral looked huge...almost overwhelming.

Back
Top Bottom