Cancelled Weddings and Engagements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
HSH Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein was the wedding candidate for HRH The Prince of Asturias (HM Queen Sophia had this wish), but the relationship had never existed. Another example: HRH Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark was planned to marry HRH Crown Prince Harald of Norway. But the history is an other.

Has anyone of you further examples?

I don't think any of these two were in a stage that marriages were already planned. Probably the mutual parents of the people involved encouraged them, but nothig came of it.

Some cancelled engagements: Tatjana of Oldenburg & Jean of France and longer ago: Olga of Greece & Denmark and CP Frederik of Denmark (father of Queen Margrethe II). Another one: Princess Marianne of the Netherlands and Prince Gustaf of Sweden (Wasa dynasty).

HSH Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein was the wedding candidate for HRH The Prince of Asturias (HM Queen Sophia had this wish), but the relationship had never existed. Another example: HRH Princess Irene of Greece and Denmark was planned to marry HRH Crown Prince Harald of Norway. But the history is an other.

I read that about Tatjana of Liechtenstein too...she was the choice of Queen Sofia and both the Infantas to marry Felipe. She is very pretty...I wonder if they even knew one another well?

I know Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg was engaged at one time to Elvire Pasté de Rochefort, but the wedding was called off.

I hear or read somewhere that there were plans (or just rumours) about Princess Anne, Pss Royal and Crown Prince Carl Gustav.

About Tatiana and Felipe I hear that too.

I have always head that Princess Grace dreamed about Caroline marrying Prince Charles, despite that both met quite late.

Rumor also said that Princess Grace dreamed about Caroline marrying Prince Ernst........... but this has not fail.... even late

Rumor also said that Princess Grace dreamed about Caroline marrying Prince Ernst........... but this has not fail.... even late
I've read about that too. They've meet but Caroline wasn't interested:D

I've always heard that it was Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark (Queen Sofia of Spain) that was intended for Harald of Norway. Which is correct?

I've heard that, but that then she changed her mind when Ernst started getting drunk, punching photographers, and just being rowdy :lol: I don't know if he really changed much until the latest years after his hospitalization in 2005 after Prince Rainier's death...

Prince Charles was linked to Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg (royal option), Amanda Knatchbull, Lady Jane Wellsley, and Sarah Spencer before marrying Diana...

There were also rumors a few years back that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Rainier had set up Charlotte Casiraghi and Prince Harry... Obviously it either didn't work out, or was a lie...

Princess Irene of the Netherlands is supposed to have been at the Spanish Court to talk about her daughter Maria Carolina as a perspective bride for Prince Felipe.

I've always heard that it was Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark (Queen Sofia of Spain) that was intended for Harald of Norway. Which is correct?
Dagbladet - reporting stories from older editions, news taken from non-Norwegian newspapers, as the Norwegian newspapers didn't directly comment on the love-life of the CP. /completely different when they could report what other newspapers were saying/... :

"CP Harald has fallen for the beautiful Sophia of the house Schleswig-Holstein Sonderburg-Glücksburg. Princess of Greece nad Denmark. The newspapers write that the two have repeatedly been observed together - on the beach and sailing. "When they said goodbye, she cried.""

"It is claimed that the two have become secretly engaged, but the public announcement isn't coming. The summer 1960 Harald visits Greece again, and before Christmas, the Norwegian people can read that something is being written about a possible engagement in the British press.
The Palace informs that there is nothing in the rumours, but aren't believed until the engagement between Sophia and Juan Carlos is announced."

Later: "Crown Prince Harald has fallen for Sophia's little sister Irene. "The engagement is close," Greek newspapers write in Nobember 1962. "There is no secret that Harald has shown a great interest in princess Irene, while her parents are looking at the prospect with great pleasure." A picture where Harald kisses Irene goodbye at the airport in Athens allegedly confirms the rumours. No public confirmation comes from the palace, and the rumours die."

"Later the same year, he is being matched with Princess Tatjana of Poland and Lithuania. The year after, the Danish newspapers can report that he's been seen at a cinema in the Copenhagen area with danish Princess Benedikte. The rumours are being denied by the Danish court, stating that it's just free imagination at play. The speculations don't stop until Princess Benedikte's engagement to Prince Richard is announced."

Saken Sonja - Portrettet - Dagbladet.no

The Radziwills were created Princes of the HRE, but were they also "Princes of Poland and Lithuania"?

The Radziwills were created Princes of the HRE, but were they also "Princes of Poland and Lithuania"?

I think that the Newspaper took the wrong title. There is nobody with the title Prince/Princess of Poland and Lithuania-

perhaps Princess Tatiana RAdziwill??

Quite possibly, given her age and connection to the Greek. I think it's one of those things where the Norwegian newspaper thought it might be easier for their readers to "understand" if it was Poland & Lithuania (where the family have been prominent) instead of Radziwill... :rolleyes:

Princess Anne (married now to K J Carlos's cousin Carlos de Borbon fell in love with King Simeon of Bulgaria during one of those Agamemnon cruises in the Aegean but the Compte De Paris would not hear of it since Simeon was not a Catholic.
Princess Marie Gabrielle of Savoie was in love with then Prince Juan Carlos but the family and Franco nixed the idea since she was not a member of a reigning family.
Before falling for Anne Marie of Denmark then C.P Constantine was in love with Princess Brigitte of Sweden.
QE II wanted the Princess Royal to marry Carl Gustav of Sweden but he had other plans.
The "romance" between Princess Sofia and CP Harald was more a desire of Queen Frederica than an actual romance between the young royals.
Everyone knows of Princess Margaret's doomed romance with Peter Townsend and wonder how her life may have turned up if she were allowed to marry him.
There were rumours of romance between Marie Astrid of Luxenmbourg and Prince Charles but the fact that she is a Catholic makes me think it was a media invention like the current Harry/Charlotte alliance.

There were also rumors a few years back that Queen Elizabeth and Prince Rainier had set up Charlotte Casiraghi and Prince Harry... Obviously it either didn't work out, or was a lie...

People has always find the perfect match on Charlottte Casiraghi and Price William, but it is impossible, for Harry also.

A Prince of England cannot marry a catholic, he would loose any rights to the British Throne. Of course the girl could convert, but in the case of Charlotte being the niece of a Catholic souvereing, it is also impossible, unless if both fall desperetaly in love, but this could not be done in a planned match...

In any case no interest on any side of these partners...

The Radziwiłł family reached the heights of its importance and power during the Golden Age of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the 16th century. Lithuanian Radziwiłłs were elevated to the title of Reichsfürst (Prince of the Empire), granted by Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor after the Jagiellonian-Habsburg congress at Vienna in 1515. Thir title was confirm in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1569 at the Union of Lublin.
They're related to families Hohenzollern, Bourbon, Anhalt-Dessau, Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, Habsburg-Lothringen, Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg (by Pss Eugenie).

Here you go Radziwlls genealogy:
RADZIWILL Genealogy 2006

Radziwill

Last edited:
I have found another royal couple whose marriage failed: Prince Jean Carl Pierre Marie d'Orleans, duc de Vendome, Dauphin de France (*1965) was 2001 to marry Tatjana of Oldenburg (*1974). The marriage failed because there was a religious controverse: The father of Jean, Henri, Comte de Paris, has feared the Orléans claim to the throne would be compromised if there was a Protestant heir.

Source: Jean, duc de Vendôme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have found another royal couple whose marriage failed: Prince Jean Carl Pierre Marie d'Orleans, duc de Vendome, Dauphin de France (*1965) was 2001 to marry Tatjana of Oldenburg (*1974). The marriage failed because there was a religious controverse: The father of Jean, Henri, Comte de Paris, has feared the Orléans claim to the throne would be compromised if there was a Protestant heir.

Source: Jean, duc de Vendôme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They never married. The engagement broke off. Jean had given an interview where he said he could not go on with the wedding because he wanted to be true to himself.

Don't forget about Prince Gustav (spn of Pss Benedikte) and Elvire Pasté de Rochefort, engaged in 2000 - 2001.The wedding was planned to take place at Paris on 12 May 2001, but was postponed. The couple later decided to go separate ways.

And of course, we can add the broken engagement of Princess Madeleine and Jonas Bergstrom to this list. Does anyone know how far the wedding planning actually progressed for this couple?

They got engaged in August 09, and seperated in April 10.

Yes, I am aware of these dates. There was never a wedding date announced- is anyone aware of any other arrangements completed during the eight months of engagement?

Arrangements of what kind? Like a church picked or flowers booked things like that?
If the engagement wasn't going to plan I would have thought they would have put off making plans.

Very interesting...

Thx for all that information, albeit of "things that never were."

We can also add Lalla Soukaina Filali, the niece of the current King of Morocco & Hicham Alkhomayri. They were going to marry but the engagement was called off.

And as for Tatiana of Oldenburg: isn't her husband-to-be, Count Axel de Chavagnac, also a Catholic? He is French, or Belgian, I suppose...

I don't think there was any marriage planned, but princess Margaretha of Sweden was in love with Robin Douglas-Home in the 1950ies but it came to nothing, whether it was because her mother and grandfather was against it, or if it was Margaretha's own decision not to marry. He later had a short-lived romance with princess Margaret, countess of Snowdon in the mid-60ies.

Last edited:
And of course, we can add the broken engagement of Princess Madeleine and Jonas Bergstrom to this list. Does anyone know how far the wedding planning actually progressed for this couple?

Queen Silvia told to the press on 12th April 2010, that there wouldn't be a wedding for Madeleine and Jonas in 2010. And on 24th April the swedish royal court announced that the engagement was broken. Because Victoria's and Daniel's wedding was such a high profile event, I have always thought that Madeleine and Jonas would have got married in 2011.

Back
Top Bottom