Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are links to two posts, by Josefine and misshelen, that show Maxima and Laurentien's dresses.
Maxima
Laurentien

I have to agree with Marengo- I really don't see much similar about them, other than the dresses were white, beautiful, and worn by the lovely Dutch Princesses. There is just such a different 'feel' to them.

Marengo said:
What was so simular? The fabric was very different, the veil was, Laurentiens sleeves were broader, she seemed to have a sort of coat, it started to split in two halfway, like the dress of Beatrix, she didn't have embroidery on the side, the shape of the train was different, the back was completely different. I can see a simularity in the high neckline, but still Maxima's was higher and Laurentiens opened more.
well ok, superficially speaking then. I always found those two dresses quite similar somehow, the overall picture I think, i.e. the straight-ish princess cut, the high neck, the three-quarter-lenght sleeves, and that they both had some sort of opening, or wings on the sides, not sure how to discribe that.

I have to say I hadn't looked at Laurentien's dress for quite a while and following the link, it strikes me how:

-Laurentien's dress seems to have taken inspiration from Queen Jualiana's wedding dress!
-the fact Laurentien's dress is so very very wrinkly. Shame on Vermeulen for that.
Agree Marengo that Maxima's dress in that sense doesn't compare at all: her dress didn't wrinkle and also, the fabric was/seemed much higher quality

Marengo said:
I think it is safe to assume that an artist like mr Valentino does not copy a dress, and certrainly not from Edouard Vermeulen (a nice designer but not even close to a great master like Valentino).
I'm not accusing anyone of anything here but it is possible Maxima, when he was about to design her dress, told the couturier sth like, "I want three quarter lenght sleeves, my sister in law had that, and it looked gorgeous", who knows?
Also, even the best aren't above taking inspiration from what has gone before them, it isn't as if there are endless possibilities to drape a fabric around the neverchanging structure of the human body
And recently Armani lost a law suit to actually a Dutch shoe designer (forget the name), Armani had blatantly copied one of this designer's shoe designs

Without a doubt Princess Grace of Monaco 's wedding dress is my farovuite dress of them all just simply elegant, beautiful and so well designed out of the other royal weddings I have seen.

The most beautiful wedding dresses : Fabiola & Claire !!!:wub:

The best:
Mathilde of Belgium
Claire of Belgium
Leatitia of Spain

Worst
Maxima of Holland
Mabel of Holland
Astrid of Belgium

Why do you think Maxima was one of the worst? She was one of the better ones in my opinion (so would Mabel have been if it hadn't been for the bows!)

princess olga said:
Why do you think Maxima was one of the worst? She was one of the better ones in my opinion (so would Mabel have been if it hadn't been for the bows!)

I agree Princess Olga, Maxima's was among the best. Still I think it was too conservative, nearly boring...but classy ... and let's face it... she was about to become a Princess. No Eva Sannum-alike blunder among the options! ;)

I sort of liked Mable's wedding dress, but it's definately not my favourite.

1-Crown Princess Mary
2-Grace of Monaco
3-Princess Letizia of Asturias

princess olga said:

I think the fabric was way to shiny, and it just looked unfitting to me, too big if you like, and I then I don't like the star tiara.

I liked Princess Anita's dress best of all the recent Dutch brides. Some dresses like Maxima's and Annette's looked top-heavy. That's also why I like Mary's dress better than Letizia's.

i think from
1.princess martha louise of norway
2.princess naciye of ottoman

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read a lot of posts that said that Princess Letizia's dress wasn't so good, but I disagree. She looked really beautiful, plus I'm the same way (naturally skinny) and that dress would probably be what my future wedding dress looks like. And her hair looked fine at church, must of gotten mussed up when they walked out to visit the other church (cant remember the name right now).

For me it is a toss up between Maxima's and Letizia's I loved them both.

For me I liked Letizia's wedding gown. It was also said that her veil has an encrypted coat of arms of The Prince of Asturias! wow! that's really royal?!!!
i also like the high collar type of gown for Letizia. since she has a small figure i think its just right that she did her gown that way..

My favourite;
Claire of Belgium
Letizia of Spain
Mette-Marit of Norway

It was also said that her veil has an encrypted coat of arms of The Prince of Asturias!
Yes, and the embroidery on her dress consisted in lilies (among other flowers) of the Bourbon's family. Her collar was also designed to look like a big lily flower!:flowers:

Lady Helen Taylor's wedding gown was absolutely very noble yet elegant. She was regally radiant in her Catherine Walker gown. There are several wonderful poses of her in the gown with her dashing husband, Tim Taylor.
She was a most beautiful bride! I'd loved to have been there!

My favourites:
Claire of Belgium
Lady Helen Taylor
Cristina of Spain
Mary of Denmark.

My favourite is Claire of Belgium
Fabiola of Belgium
Sarah Armstrong Jones
Mette Marit
Worst is Mabel and Anette of Holland

I loved:
Sarah Armstrong-Jones
Mette-Marit's
Mary Donaldson

i loved sarah armstrong-jones as it was so simple and elegant but non-royal brides it would be either Letizia or Maxima

Sarah Ferguson, the Duchess of York
Mary, Crown Princess of Denmark

Favourites:
1. Princess Anita of Netherlands
2. Crown Princess Mette-Marit
3. Princess Grace of Monaco
4. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

1. Anne-Marie of Greece
2. Letizia of Spain
3. Fabiola of Belgium
4. Maxima of the Netherlands

I love the weddingdress of Beatrix, not just because she is my favourite royal. She looked so good in it an I even love the short veil. I think the best of the dress are the pattern of flowers.
The second is that I love the dress of Laurentien, but the veil of Maxima.
And of course the dress of Anita was just fantastic.

Best:
Maxima
Mette-Marit
Rania

Worst
Annette
Serena
Diana

I think Sarah Ferguson had the most personal dress: A for Andrew on the train, details of her 'weapon shield' (I don't know the english word) and her bouquet was shaped in an 'S' for Sarah

Coat of arms? :)

cdm said:
A for Andrew on the train, details of her 'weapon shield' (I don't know the english word)

My favourites:
1. Letizia
2. Mette-Marit
3. Maxima

Least favourite
1. Diana
2. Mabel
3. Mary

Back
Top Bottom