Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
azrayy said:
princess zahra.
Wow such a gorgeous bride, which RF is she from? And who is the groom?

Last edited by a moderator:
princess olga said:
Wow such a gorgeous bride, which RF is she from? And who is the groom?

Princess Zahra is the daughter of the Aga Kahn.
Her husbands name is Mark Boyden.:)

Little_star said:
I completely agree, she had the most difficult situation in some respects. Not only was she an older bride (and one who had been married before) but she had the legacy of her affair with Charles.
It's not as though she could have shown up in a big white, puffy dress. However she looked impeccable for both of the ceremonies. I've yet to come across anybody who disliked her outfit.
In fact I was so impressed with the outfits I actually started losing my distaste for her.:)

I still think Mettte Marit's dress and flowers were unique and very creative but my all time favourite would have to be Princess Margaret's- I think anyone could wear that in any era.

Nice thing about all royal brides is that the dresses have sleeves and they don't look like evening dresses. They are all specially created for a regal event- not a night out.

My favourite:
Letizia
Maxima
Mette-Marit
Mathilde

I loved Letizia's and Mette-Marit's dresses. And also Claire's.

The best royal wedding dresses are simple and elegant. A dress can be simple with understated beading etc without being plain and it must be elegant and regal reflecting the royal role. Also a royal wedding dress should be timeless never dating the best example of this is Princess Margaret and also Princess Letizia as they could be worn in 50 years time and still look modern!!
Recent examples of the ideal dress are Letizia (so elegant and gracefull with the right amount of detail not to overpower her. the veil and the jewellery complimented the dress perfectly and the overall look was serene like princess grace), Maxima (perfect dress for a winter wedding with beautiful insets of lace panels), Mette-Marit (pure, simple and elegant which reflected her understated charcter)
Lady Sarah Chatto is another example of the perfect royal wedding dress, also Lady Helen Taylor and Viscountess Linley are excellent example of how to dress for your own wedding.
Older examples include Princess Elizabeth (having seen the dress in the exhibition at Kensington Palace i feel in love with this dress - it was so regal for a future queen and the detail is a piece of artwork. it is one of the best british wedding dresses) also Princess Margaret (so elegant, timeless and very simple which made it so striking) Princess Grace of Monaco (her dress was possibly the most beautiful of all royal wedding dresses)

The wedding dress is the first important dress of a royal bride (particularly if they are non-royal) as it creates the first impression. So if Kate should marry William then she will have to be careful in choosing her dress so that it is memorable (who really remembers much about Sophie's dress as it was so plain, boring and very unremarkable!!)

Last edited:
And CPss Mette-Marit wedding dress too - simple and elegant.

Mr favourite Royal Wedding Dress is the wedding gown of the late Diana,Princess of Wales and HM Queen Elizabeth II's wedding dress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexandria said:
An idea from a SuperModerator, norwegianne, what are everyone's thoughts on brides who looked wonderful on their wedding day? I am adding a "twist" as there are so many wonderful brides -- pick an "old-er" choice and a "modern" choice.

My picks for an "old-er" bride who looked spectacular on her wedding day: Queen Margrethe of Denmark.

And a more recent bride who looked spectacular: Infanta Cristina of Spain.
Royal brides who looked wonderful on their wedding day is HM Queen Elizabeth II and the late Diana,Princess of Wales.

My favorite
Mette-Marit
Also love
Lady Helen Taylor
Lady Sarah Chatto
Sophie of Wessex
Lady Davina Lewis
Clothide
Princess Margaret
Queen Sonja
Queen Margarethe
Princess Anita

grevinnan said:
I loved Letizia's gown best of all. The was very regal and classic. Her gown was a very special wedding gown, not a ball gown in white.

I share totally your opinion. I don't know is the Letizia's wedding gown is the most elegant one but it's the most regal one, full of symbols about the Royalty and it was totally appropriate for the situation.

It was not a jet set wedding but a royal one, that some people had found so boring because too serious

Every beautiful and rich woman can have a wedding gown like Maxima ( absolutly stunning) even Mary who looked more "Alice in wonderland" than futur Queen of denmark wasen't so regal than her mother in law, the Queen Margareth who had choosen the simplicity.

I will say that these are my favorite royal brides starting for older times to modern times.
Older Brides
Princess Grace Of Monaco
Princess Maraget Of UK
Princess Marageth Of Denmark (now Queen Marageth II
Princess Elizabeth Of UK (now Queen Elizabeth II
Modern Brides
Princess Claire Of Beligum
Princess Christina Of Spain
Crown Princess Mary Of Denmark
Crown Princess Maxima Of Netherlands
Princess Letizia Of Spain

Last edited:
I will say that these are my favorite royal brides starting for older times to modern times.
Older Brides
Princess Grace Of Monaco
Princess Maraget Of UK
Princess Marageth Of Denmark (now Queen Marageth II
Princess Elizabeth Of UK (now Queen Elizabeth II
Modern Brides
Princess Claire Of Beligum
Princess Christina Of Spain
Crown Princess Mary Of Denmark
Crown Princess Maxima Of Netherlands

Last edited:
My favorite dress:

Christina of Spain

The worst:

Princess Mabel

My favourite dresses:

1. Princess Claire
2. Princess Mette-Marit
3. Princess Mary

The worst:

Princess Mabel

Princess Claire
Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Letizia
Princess Mary
Sophie Wessex

BEST:
Lady Sarah Chatto
Mette Marit of Norway
Maxima of the Netherlands
Grace of Monaco
Letizia and Cristina of Spain

NOT MY FAVOURITE(I think all brides look lovely on their wedding day)

Mary of Denmark-the sleeves made her look like a milkmaid
Marie Chantal of Greece-far too heavy for such a petitie frame
Diana-way too much of everything, but she pulled it off
Princess Caroline to Phillipe Junot- very country, much too sedate. But she looked beautiful.

Without a doubt CP Sarah Al-Billah of Brunei everything about the wedding and attire were exquisite and immaculate and not to mention

Princess Noor Al-Hamzah of Jordan the takchita she wore was magnificent.

CP Maxima looked absolutely divine, everything even the minutest detail splended.

CP Mary of Denmark, chic and the best of Danish Brital couture.

Princess Rym, I love the Circassian attire that she wore as an attestment to her heritage. Brilliant and she looked radiant.

Christo's Girl said:
BEST:
Lady Sarah Chatto
Mette Marit of Norway
Maxima of the Netherlands
Grace of Monaco
Letizia and Cristina of Spain

NOT MY FAVOURITE(I think all brides look lovely on their wedding day)

Mary of Denmark-the sleeves made her look like a milkmaid
Marie Chantal of Greece-far too heavy for such a petitie frame
Diana-way too much of everything, but she pulled it off
Princess Caroline to Phillipe Junot- very country, much too sedate. But she looked beautiful.

Christo's Girl, you have an exquisite taste! Those are also my picks. I should only add to that Queen Margrethe of Denmark's gown as a favorite too, an all-time classic. Mary's was one of the worst things I've ever seen in the royal wedding gowns department, a true pity. I also quite liked Laurentien's, a very simple design which looked right for her.

dazzling said:
Letizia's wedding dress embroidery was beautiful also the veil but i thought she couldve obtained for a better dress cut.

I think the dress was too stiff and heavy for her. She looked terrified and almost hidden in the dress.

dazzling said:
Maximas dresses cut was again great, liked the lace inserting on the sides. I thought if the front part was open and if she had worn a necklace she wouldve looked like a dream come true princess. also, liked the lace on the veil on the sides, that was a great idea.

The dress was simple and elegant, though I agree that she could have shown a little bit more...but then again, they were still in winter..

What I do not get...why Laurentien's and Maxima's dresses were so similar...

Verde Esmeralda said:
What I do not get...why Laurentien's and Maxima's dresses were so similar...

that is the big question, the dresses are so so similar:ermm:

I love Maxima's gown - it is simple and nice. But guess she got the height to pull it off.

For small petite frame, I think Lady Helen Taylor's gown is the one. Although it is a 14 years old gown, personally I dun mind it for my own wedding.

Lady Helen had a gorgeous gown, great neckline, but what do you expect from Catherine Walker.

Christo's Girl said:
Lady Helen had a gorgeous gown, great neckline, but what do you expect from Catherine Walker.
Beg to differ. Never liked a thing Walker made, the reason her clothes managed to look good at all was the natural beauty of the respective wearers, be it gorgeous, luminous lady Helen, or that other English rose, Diana.

You are entitled to your opinion, though! :flowers:

corazon said:
that is the big question, the dresses are so so similar:ermm:
Well, Vermeulen/Laurentien was first. I agree Maxima's looked rather like a copy, albeit a better, more gorgeous one.

Verde Esmeralda said:
I think the dress was too stiff and heavy for her. She looked terrified and almost hidden in the dress.
Couldn't agree more. She just <drowned> in that dress, and that in combination with her stringy hair, it was a disappointment.

Although the same type of design worked very well for a tall, lean woman like Mathilde. But for tiny petite Letizia it didn't.

Laura said:
Mary's was one of the worst things I've ever seen in the royal wedding gowns department, a true pity.
Glad some folks agree with me on this one! In defense of the bride, the <sketch> of the dress looked gorgeous, the real-life version was a wash-out. She indeed looked like a milk maid, what with the high highup hair which caused the veil to drape weirdly, and the bottom half of the dress, just weird. Although on some pictures, taken inside, the <color> of the dress glows like the golden light of a candle, so that was a plus.

Overrated dress, by far. Case like Diana in the eighties: terrible, terrible dress, but people then unanimously liked it because they liked Diana.

Mary's mom in law had a gorgeous, gorgeous dress.

princess olga said:
Well, Vermeulen/Laurentien was first. I agree Maxima's looked rather like a copy, albeit a better, more gorgeous one.

What was so simular? The fabric was very different, the veil was, Laurentiens sleeves were broader, she seemed to have a sort of coat, it started to split in two halfway, like the dress of Beatrix, she didn't have embroidery on the side, the shape of the train was different, the back was completely different. I can see a simularity in the high neckline, but still Maxima's was higher and Laurentiens opened more.

I think it is safe to assume that an artist like mr Valentino does not copy a dress, and certrainly not from Edouard Vermeulen (a nice designer but not even close to a great master like Valentino).

Back
Top Bottom