Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best
Cristina of Spain
Claire of Beligum
Letizia of Spain

Worst
Mary of Denmark (skirt and train)
Mabel of O- N (bows)

I agree with you katie1001 on Mabel's thing- her dress were terrible! She looked in it so... in stress.

bluebess said:
Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)
Me too, me too! :) That gown is indeed one of the all time best royal wedding gowns (well, the last two centuries, that is!)
I was a tiny tot when I watched Anne's nuptials, in my view then she was the personification of a fairy tale princess. Hence, ten years later, my disappointment at Diana's excuse of a dress: it missed the streamlined sophistication of Anne's.

Redfox6, I didn't know her dress was an 'off the rack', that's just shocking! :D

Ygraine said:
Best:
Sarah Ferguson
Katharine Worsley
Diana Spencer
Margaret Windsor
Caroline Grimaldi 2nd time
Agree with you very much on Caroline's second wedding dress, it was a classic, so simple, so glowing. Disagree on Diana though.

Ygraine said:
The 80's were the best fashion decade it is now that clothes are repulsive
I have to say you are quite an independent thinker. Anyhow you're in luck, then, as eighties fashion's making a come back supposedly (hopefully mullet's won't!) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Margrethe of Denmark in 1967. Simplicity and elegance united...

Sad to say but she has never worn a dress as perfect as this one again!

Sophus said:
Princess Margrethe of Denmark in 1967. Simplicity and elegance united...
My gosh, that's so true. Also loved the brooch depicting a daisy.. (Mind you, Maxima's dress, the bottom half that is, seems a total and blatant copy of Margarethe's. (while the top was a copy of queen Sonja's)

Duchess said:
i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.
yes except that the top looked like a band aid that was tied around the rib cage of the bride way way too tight! I would've liked it if the 'bandaid' part hadn't been so tight.

I love Letizia's dress. It is the only dress that would only look good on a princess/queen. On anyone else it would be too formal.

-Princess Claire of Belgium-

I love the top of this dress....I couldn't find a close up of the entire dress...

yes except that the top looked like a band aid that was tied around the rib cage of the bride way way too tight! I would've liked it if the 'bandaid' part hadn't been so tight.
What I liked about Lady Sarah Chatto's dress was that it gave an illusion of tightness but the the bride was all smiles and relaxed and comfortable thus eclipsing any idea of tightness but emphasizing her wonderful figure. The white and flowing sheer material transformed her into a fairytale princess and made the wedding scene magical.
And to think that there was not so much as a piece of lace or any other sort of embelishment on it !!

I absolutely loved Letizia's dress! I personally wouldn't choose it but I just can't figure out why I like it!
I also liked the dresses of Princess Anne and Princess Claire. Finally, the then Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain. There was something about her dress...

I didn't like Princess Mary's though:eek:. I think, as aready mentioned, it was the material used.

I agree. Princess Elizabeth's (HM The Queen) dress was in a class of its own - as befits the heir to the British throne. The rich elaborate embroidery on the entire dress and the delicate ones on her veil and train is truly magnificient. But the style itself was so simple. A true classic that does not look dated even now.

LOSSEAN said:
I agree. Princess Elizabeth's (HM The Queen) dress was in a class of its own - as befits the heir to the British throne. The rich elaborate embroidery on the entire dress and the delicate ones on her veil and train is truly magnificient. But the style itself was so simple. A true classic that does not look dated even now.

Thats it, the embroidery was absolutely amazing. I remember the first time I saw of picture of it I was like :eek: :D

I liked the wedding dresses of all the British Royal Brides with the exception of Diana. I liked the bottom of it but I did not like the bodice wth that huge collar and sleeves.

At first glance I did not like the dress of Sophie, Countess of Wessex, but the more I studied it the more I liked it. The beading on that dress was magnificent. Perhaps this heavy beading is the reason it did not appear to fit her too well.:rolleyes:

My God, poor Mabel.. it was supposed to be one of the most special days of her life :closedeye.
Anyway ... i loved Letizia's and Mathilde's they looked just like Princesses.

For the modern brides I must say that all of them look lovely and beautiful on their special day.The one that stood up I must say is Mette-Marit.Her gown is simply devastingly stunning and her bouquet is special too so different and unusual.It shows the artisitc side of her and I LIKE THAT.She is definitely not a conformist.

I always loved CP Mary's dress. It's very elegant and simple; something I would wear on my wedding day. I've never been one for lace, ruffles and all that frou-frou, so something that sleek is right up my alley.

I like the late Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte of Luxemburg's wedding gown, it's fantastic, like a fairy. Has anyone notice it, though her wedding was long time ago?

I like Mary's dress, but I prefered Letizia's dress was amazing! The veil was fantastic.

Favorite/Best
A tie for first place
1.Lady Sarah Armstrong Chatto-well fit,pretty style,simple ,elegant
1.CP Mette-Marit-simple,elegant,nice flow
Princess Margaret-just stunning
Brigitte Van Dures The Duchess of Glouster-regal,elegant,simple
Sophie of Wessex -the fit could have neen better but I loved the simplicity to it.Modern and tradional at the same time.

Least Favorite/Worst
Mabel-what can I say it's all been said.
Diana of Wales-too puffy and over done but they were all like that back then.My cousin married two weeks later and she had the puffy sleeves on her gown.
Marie Chantal of Greece-it was a mess
Alexandra of Denmark-too much dress,too little bride too puffed out.

Last edited:
frankly, i kinda like princess diana's dress. it was so fairytale-ish although seen as puffy. but the train was LOOONGG.

i like princess margaret's dress as well. when i grow up & eventually get married , i'll probably model after her dress for my wedding dress

Okay, I step up and do the brave thing: I confess I liked Mabel's dress. I know it wasn't something most people would wear, and I'm not sure if even Mabel was the right person to wear it, but i liked it. It was done by Viktor & Rolfe, and anyone who knows the designers and their style will see it was perfectly done by them, it expressed everything they stand for - individuality, out-of-the-box kind of thinking, humour. Mabel knew they are known for their unique style when she picked them to design her dress, and I salute her for that. For once, it was a dress that wasn't just one more version of the same tired pattern but something entirely different. Quite possibly, of all the royal dresses that would be the one I would wear did I have the money for it.

My favourite wedding dresses are:

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark - total elegance personified

Princess Mary of Teck when she married the future King George V - stylish and she looked beautiful

Sarah Ferguson to Andrew Duke of York.......

One other mention is our current queen......she looked fantastic after all the years of war!

Hugs

Mrsmerlin

Letizia's wedding dress embroidery was beautiful also the veil but i thought she couldve obtained for a better dress cut.

MM's dress was very simple and i guess thats her personality, she isnt all about the embroidery and id have to respect her opinion. It was a great dress. simple. elegent and the cut was superb. she looked great or more like a true princess in a fairytale.

Maximas dresses cut was again great, liked the lace inserting on the sides. I thought if the front part was open and if she had worn a necklace she wouldve looked like a dream come true princess. also, liked the lace on the veil on the sides, that was a great idea.

Best:
1. Princess Maxima
2. Infanta Christina
3. Princess Grace
4. princess Mette Marit

Worst:
1. Princess Diana
2. Princess Anne
3. Princess Letizia
4. Dutchess of york

My all time favourite is Princess Maxima´s dress,then Letizia´s and Cristina.

Here's an update after looking them over again

Best in no special order

Maria Teresa of Luxumberg -simple an unadorned unusal for the 80's stll a little puffed out but a beautiflu gown all the same.

Princess Aimee of the Netherlands -so simple and one of the few veils I reall like the same can be said for Tatjana of Lechtestein.

Princess Badiya of Jordan -love the cut of her dress and the simple elegance of it.

Victoria of de Burbon Dos sillias-simply stunning

Lady Davina Windsor-I like the off white color and the sheerness around the neck.Understated but lovely

Prncess Anita of The Netherlands-not big on lace but this one works for me same can be sid for Margarita Vargas Santaella

Alexia of Greece-Simple sophistication -love it.

Worst
Kalina of Bulgeria-scary dress:ohmy:

Annette of the Netherlands-and she has such a pretty face:sad:

Princess Noor of Jordan-too much lace

I must say that Diana will always be my royal bride for all time. But recently, Mette Marit. Her dress was so simple and elegant. She looked beautiful on her wedding day. As for Mary, I loved the colour and the concept of the dress but I did think it looked a little heavy on her. But she had a simple hairstyle and jewelry which completed her look.

HRH Elizabeth said:
Irrespective of my feelings about Camilla, I have to admit her gown at the blessing was beautiful and suited her very well.
I completely agree, she had the most difficult situation in some respects. Not only was she an older bride (and one who had been married before) but she had the legacy of her affair with Charles.
It's not as though she could have shown up in a big white, puffy dress. However she looked impeccable for both of the ceremonies. I've yet to come across anybody who disliked her outfit.

Prince Hussain Aga Khan and Miss Kristin J. White (Princess Khaliya):

i think Princess Khaliya looks wonderful

Last edited:
I agree, specially from their civil ceremony - this hat:wub:

Back
Top Bottom