Best Crown Princess Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rhys82192 said:
Crown Princess Mette-Marit looks like Rapunzel in her wedding dress because of her long veil. But still she is beautiful!

I agree. Crown Princess Mette-Marit was a very beautiful bride. In spite of the gown being so classically simple and elegant, there was a lot of "drama" because of the extremely long veil. A very regal bride indeed. I just felt the bouquet was slightly "odd" and possibly spoilt the overall picture.

Last edited:
Camilla's gown definitely does not look grey, it looks like a mixture of a light blue and green. I have never heard anyone confuse it for grey.

My favourite is CP Mathilde of Belgium.

My favourite crown princesses dresses (of those either a direct heir or married to a direct heir):

1. Maxima (although I think the dress would have been all the more perfect with a different neckline)
2. Mette-Marit
3. Letizia (although this dress did not complement the bride, it is a very regal and very beautiful dress in itself – one that is really only suited for a royal bride)
4. Camilla
5. Mary (I really want to rank this gown higher for it looked so lovely in the sketches and was a great idea but it just did not work in real life)
6. Victoria (although the dress suited the bride and was very clean and allowed the tiara to shine, I was disappointed - I expected something more, although I'm not sure what exactly)
7. Mathilde

My favourite crown princesses dresses (of those either a direct heir or married to a direct heir):

1. Maxima (although I think the dress would have been all the more perfect with a different neckline)
2. Mette-Marit
3. Letizia (although this dress did not complement the bride, it is a very regal and very beautiful dress in itself – one that is really only suited for a royal bride)
4. Camilla
5. Mary (I really want to rank this gown higher for it looked so lovely in the sketches and was a great idea but it just did not work in real life)
6. Victoria (although the dress suited the bride and was very clean and allowed the tiara to shine, I was disappointed - I expected something more, although I'm not sure what exactly)
7. Mathilde
I agree with your comment on Mary's gown. The sketch and the actual gown some how did not work out.

I also agree with your comment about Letizia's gown. To me it sorta swallowed her like the dress was too much for her but it was well suited for royal bride and it was very pretty.

Mathilde and Maxima's gowns remind of one another but I can't tell you why.......:ROFLMAO:

Camilla's gown at the blessing ceremony was a pleasant surprise and I love it still.

:previous: Mathilde and Maxima's gowns similar? Obviously I do not see it, ranking one at the top and the other at the bottom! :confused: Wish you knew why, or maybe someone else also sees a likeness and can enlighten us both! :lol:

The more I think on the 'real life' dresses of many of the royal brides, the more I admire Sarah Burton for giving so much attention to the execution of Catherine's dress (odd looking bust aside).

my new list

1- Maxima
2- Stephanie
3- Letizia
4- Victoria
5- Catherine
6- Mathilde
7- Charlene
8- Mary
9- Mette-Marit

An updated ranking from me of the current crown princesses
1 Maxima
2 Victoria
3 Mette-Marit
4 Stephanie
5 Mathilde
6 Charlene
7 Catherine
8 Mary
9 Letizia

I know Catherine is not a crown princess, but she seems to fit better in this list than Camilla.
Before I had Mette-Marit as my number 1, but I love the regality of Maxima and Victoria more than the romantic dress of Mette-Marit. After seeing more pictures of her dress, it is the lower part that I loved the most, but not the upper part and I don't like that the veil was longer than the train.

1)Stephanie of Luxembourg(the veil and pearl studded train are what puts her over the top for me!)

2)Maxima of the Netherlands(again...the veil alone is a work of art)

3)Charlene of Monaco

4)Mette-Marit of Norway

5)Victoria of Sweden

My list:

1. Princess Maxima
2. Stephanie of Luxembourg
3. Victoria of Sweden
4. Charlene of Monaco
5. Mary of Denmark

An updated list:

1. HGD Stephanie
2. Crown Princess Mette-Marit
3. Crown Princess Victoria

If Maxima was still a Crown Princess then she would have been at number four.

Last edited:
Ive completely changed my list:

1. Stephanie
2. Mette Marit
3. Mary
4. Victoria
5. Camilla
6. Charlene
7. Maxima

Ones I disliked the most
1. Mathilde
2. Letizia
3. Masako's western dress
4. Diana

Last edited:
XC, your "Worst" list is pretty much the same as mine! :lol:

Here is an Elie Saab dress that very much looks like Stephanie's. In fact, I think Saab created this gown for Pronovias and based it on the one he designed for HGD Stephanie, because he was deluged by demands for it after the Luxembourg Royal Wedding last year.

Pronovias presents the Folie wedding dress. Elie by Elie Saab 2013. | Pronovias

Stephanie's back was bare, and her gown was silvery. But the one above is also just absolutely gorgeous, imo.

Last edited:
My list
1. Victoria (clear winner, just her style, she and the dress were one, very regal)
2. Letizia (regal, the dress looked very good on her)
3. Mette-Marit (simple and lovely, very much her style then)
4. Charlene (beautiful, simple, elegant)
5. Maxima (she looked so good in it)

The ones I liked the least
1. Mary (to me the dress just was so ugly)
2. Stephanie (she drowned to the dress, the dress wore her, she didn't wear the dress, the dress didn't suit her personality at all)

Last edited:
XC, your "Worst" list is pretty much the same as mine! :lol:

Here is an Elie Saab dress that very much looks like Stephanie's. In fact, I think Saab created this gown for Pronovias and based it on the one he designed for HGD Stephanie, because he was deluged by demands for it after the Luxembourg Royal Wedding last year.

Pronovias presents the Folie wedding dress. Elie by Elie Saab 2013. | Pronovias

Stephanie's back was bare, and her gown was silvery. But the one above is also just absolutely gorgeous, imo.
Elie Saab redesigns the same silhouette every time. His dresses are bound to look like eachother. The dress (silhouette, fabric, glitters etc) Stephanie wore, albeit a stunning dress, has been seen on his runway and the red carpet long before Stephanie got married.

When I think of a bride "drowning in her dress" my thoughts immediately rush to Diana Spencer and Letizia Ortiz. In both cases, two very beautiful young women were engulfed in gowns that looked waay too big for them. All I saw first was loads of material, then the bride.

And in the case of Letizia, her sharp features were accentuated by that pointy collar of her dress which also drew attention to her limp and disastrous hair.:eek:

Even though I didn't like Diana's dress I got what the designers were going for(18th century fairy tale romance) and it suited her aura and the position she was marrying into. I had imagined that Letizia, a modern and stylish career woman, would choose a dress that reflected elegance and modernity as well as grandeur. But that is not at all what I got from her dress.

Along with CP Mary, Letizia was one of the most disappointing Royal brides I have ever seen.

In Stephanie de Lannoy's case, she was a young, lovely aristocrat marrying an heir to the throne in a huge Cathedral before the cream of the aristocracy of Europe. The occasion called for grandeur, NOT modesty(which is Stephanie's personality). So that is what Saab delivered....over-the-top grandeur that had the fashion world buzzing for weeks.

I hear people say Elie Saab designs the same dresses over and over and maybe he does. But I personally have never seen a Royal bridal gown like the one he designed for Stephanie...never. So for me, expectations were exceeded.

Last edited:
I find this thread interesting because it is not just about royal wedding dresses but specifically Crown Princesses Wedding dresses. That is a different thing than "Royal Wedding Dresses" as to me it means The Crown Princess herself, her wedding dress" and how it fits.

Those parameters give me a whole different list:

Mathilde - a perfect combination of style and personality. As an aristocrat she seemed to segue perfectly from Countess to Crown Princess, with her innate sense of style. Her wedding dress perfectly reflected her personality. I found it a little too understated for my taste.

Maxima - her gown was a triumph of elegance and decorum. Maxima seems to have had the hardest challenge as her personal style is colourful and dramatic and a royal wedding dress needs to exude regal elegance. She managed to marry the position with her personality with a to-die-for dress and a magnificent, over the top, veil, held in place by a tiara that had to potential to imitate the infamous "Jeep".

Letizia - Oh dear . . . her situation of moving from TV Anchor or Reporter to Royal Style was also a challenge but the her wedding dress was little short of a disaster. The enduring image in my mind was that of a lovely petite woman utterly engulfed by her dress.

Mary - Hmm . . . nobody ever said going from Commoner to Royalty would be a cake walk and her wedding dress showed it. When I see Mary I usually see pared down elegance so I can only think that perhaps the royal M-I-L had more than a little artistic input into the occasion.

Stephanie - probably the most dramatic and romantic train of all but the styling of the neckline lacked something and to be honest I can't put my finger on what was missing. It just seems that the dress was far more dramatic than she is. I'll call it a dress to grow into.

Mette Marit - the quintessential Fairytale Princess. While the gown seemed overly plain to many, the match of Mette Marit to that first tentative step into royalty was a masterpiece of design. To those who are still underwhelmed by her dress I recommend viewing a video of the wedding. The incredible volume of the dress was only visible in movement and the hem seemed to move like the foam of a wave as she floated down the aisle. Just magic!

Charlene - a perfect marriage of bride and dress. Elegant lines and little fluff. The veil and the jewels that held it were a perfect match.

Camilla - another perfect marriage of bride and dress. After her dress for the Civil Ceremony I was waiting with baited breath to see if she could equal the elegance for the blessing. Her gown was perfect for her, her age and her position. It was a given that it would not be a tiara and veil occasion and I was intrigued by how she would meet that challenge. To me she aced it and was the perfect "Older" bride.

Victoria - Well let's face it, being the actual Crown Princess creates a whole different dynamic. We on TRF all got hung up on the fact that the Cameo tiara was a given and so too the same heavy lace veil her mother wore. And, to me, that was not a good look at all. What a handicap!! But, the almost severe styling of both her gown and her hair was the perfect match to the tiara and veil. Her personal style, self assurance and sheer presence allowed Victoria to step into the Cathedral and walk up the aisle looking every inch a Queen, albeit a Queen in waiting. Sheer, unadulterated drama!

Maxima's personality is very warm, exuberant and emotional. And while she is a beautiful woman, I would never describe her as elegant. But her bridal gown was one of the most elegant I have ever seen.

That's what I find so puzzling about saying reading a criticism like "her dress didn't match her personality". What on earth does that mean? One of the things a Royal wedding designer must take into account is the type of wedding he is designing for. Just because some people see HGD Stephanie as rather conservative(i.e. boring) they seem to be implying that her gown should have been the same way. But if she had shown up in some dull, ill-fitting sack of a dress the criticism of her would have been off the charts. :bang:

In the end, any Royal bride must choose a dress that suits both her taste and her circumstances. For example Mette-Marit's gown-even though it was very beautiful-would not have quite fit the bill for the type of wedding that Will/Kate or W-A/Max or Gui/Stephanie had, and it would probably have not have suited the bride either.

MM's gown was perfect-for her. She was a woman who had lived a bit on the wild side and had a child out of wedlock. Trying to design a "fairy princess" gown for her would have opened her up to unnecessary ridicule, because that is not who she was then or now.

It's not my favorite(her bouquet was ugly and bizarre imo) but it is definitely on my Top Ten list.

Last edited:
Letizia's dress just looked good from the back. The front was unflattering especially with that Transylvania collar.

The best thing about Letizia on her wedding day was her stunning, beautiful face and her lovely veil. Everything else was just simply a flop, imo.

The collar of her dress in particular reminded me of the Wicked Fairy in Snow White. "Transylvania" is a perfect description for it!:lol:

Last edited:
Me top best
1. Charlene, Victoria, Kate In equal position
2. Mary, MM
3. Stephanie
4. Maxima, Mathilde

My top worst
1. Letizia
3. Marie Chantal nice dress, not suitable for her

Here are my favorite wedding gowns from this generation of wives of heirs:

1. HGD Stephanie
2. Mette Marit
3. Catherine
4. Victoria

Princess Sophie of Liechtenstein's wedding gown was lovely but boring. I loved Mathilde's wedding gown but it's not one of my personal favorites.

Least Favorites:

1. Marie Chantal
2. Mary
3. Letizia
4. Maxima

If we are discussing only recent Royal brides and not overall, my favorites are-

1. HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg, Queen Maxima(tied)
  2. Charlene Princess of Monaco
  3. CP Victoria of Sweden

Least favorite:

CP Mary of Denmark
Queen Letizia of Spain
CP Marie-Chantal

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom