The Coronation of King Rama X

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacknch

Former Administrator
City
Suffolk
Country
United Kingdom
oggcif.png

Welcome to the thread for the Coronation of His Majesty King Rama X of Thailand

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.​

Last edited:
Still no update on coronation of King Vajiralongkorn, will keep you updated as soon as official date and details are announced.

HM King Vajiralongkorn's Coronation - late?

The most recent remarks about the date of the new King's Coronation were made last April 2017, predicting this event before end of this year. Still no announcement is forthcoming about a firm date for the coronation. Also, no explanation has been subsequently given for what is beginning to appear late. Anybody have ideas or comments.
Dan :ermm:

It's quite clear that the coronation ceremony will not likely to take place this year since the royal crematorium exhibition has been extended to December 31.

Bangkok Post: Royal crematorium viewing extended to Dec 31

This was asked by the government to accommodate huge number of crowds who wish to visit the site from all over the country. Hence, the king agreed and granted the permission.

Last time I heard someone talks about the coronation was in mid October that the ceremony might take place around February 2018, but still need to wait for official announcement to confirm the date. One thing I also know so far is that the palace bureau has got everything prepared for the ceremony. It is now a matter of 'when' the king 'wish' to do it.

Last edited:
Thank you Appleich for your update on HM King Vajiralongkorn's Coronation timing. You cite "Last time I heard someone talks about the coronation was in mid October..." can you offer a citation from whom or what public source you got this information. This would allow us a broader basis to further inquire.
I personally find the new reign of HM King Vajiralongkorn will be tremendously significant not only for Thailand, but for all of South Asia politically. Sources of information about actions of the Thai Palace are tightly controlled with little hard facts to reference.

Sorry Daniel d'Evreux, I couldn't provide you the source since it was a tweet from Aljazeera journalist in Thailand, Wayne Hay. I tried to look up on his twitter feed again but that tweet is now gone so you can believe me or not. The most realistic time frame for the coronation ceremony to take place is between January - March 2018. This is Thai court's style, they rarely share private information on the king and his family. Most of us rely on insider's news or even rumors to have an idea on what's going on behind the palace gate.

I will trust in your information on the coronation's estimated span of dates. You are way closer living in Bangkok to what we call where I live "the-Coconut-wireless," aka gossip. I find even guessing when King Vajiralongkorn's in Thailand or Bavaria is a real shot in the dark. I do respect the Thai Monarchy and wish the Thai people and their new King many blessings of the Buddha.

I'm sorry to say this but my expectation wasn't quite right as first sign of coronation delay emerged:

Thai king orders history-themed festival paying homage to past monarchs

Reuters | January 8, 2018 | 4:26 PM

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand’s King Maha Vajiralongkorn has ordered a history-themed festival for the public, a government spokesman said on Monday, as the Southeast Asian nation emerges from a year of mourning for his revered father.

The festival, which will take place at the Royal Plaza, a public square in Bangkok, from February 8 to March 11, will feature exhibitions showcasing the life and work of his late father King Bhumibol and his great grandfather, King Chulalongkorn, who reigned from 1868 to 1910. The festival will include gardens, fountains, and historic-looking structures.

King Vajiralongkorn’s formal coronation is expected to take place later this year and could signal the start of politics following a year of mourning and the late king’s funeral.

More details: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-paying-homage-to-past-monarchs-idUSKBN1EX0PT

Has any date been announced for the coronation of King Rama X?

Wonder who will be the next Queen of Thailand or maybe non at all. Could Princess Soamsawali become a nominal queen consort?

Wonder who will be the next Queen of Thailand or maybe non at all. Could Princess Soamsawali become a nominal queen consort?

My guess is none as the King is not married. Why should Princess Soamsavali as divorced wife of the King become Queen?

Last edited:
Has any date been announced for the coronation of King Rama X?

^^ Nope, the last remark about the coronation was made by Prime Minister in June. He said the coronation is likely to take place before general election (expected to held in February 2019), that's all of it that we know for now.

Latest remark from the Prime Minister:
King's coronation soon, PM says
Prayut calls for unity ahead of key events

Wassana Nanuam | Bangkok Post | 4 Dec 2018 at 04:00

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has called on Thais to maintain unity and goodwill towards each other as His Majesty the King's coronation will take place soon.

The prime minister also said he hoped a general election expected on Feb 24 and Thailand taking up the Asean chairmanship on Jan 1 next year would proceed peacefully. Gen Prayut was speaking as he presidedover a ceremony to unveil the Lam Saphung Dam construction project in Chaiyaphum's Nong Bua Daeng district on Monday. "His Majesty's coronation will take place soon. The King is a major pillar of the country. I know Thais are loyal to the monarchy. Please give a helping hand," Gen Prayut said.

He said the King will make the decision about when the coronation takes place. "When the King sets the date of the coronation, we need to be sure peace and order prevail," Gen Prayut said. "His Majesty the King has continued what King Rama IX initiated. His Majesty always tells me and the government to try our best to take care of the people, fulfil their needs swiftly, solve their problems and explain to them to make sure they understand," Gen Prayut said. Gen Prayut previously said in June that the King's coronation was expected to be held before the general election in February.

More details: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1587022/kings-coronation-soon-pm-says

Last edited:
Latest remark from the Prime Minister:

Can they prepare a coronation on such short notice? Guess there will be no foreign royals invited then.

Can they prepare a coronation on such short notice? Guess there will be no foreign royals invited then.

It would be hard to invite foreign royals at such short notice like this. Why not have to Coronation next summer?

All things has been prepared since King Bhumibol's funeral was completed last year. Actually, preparations for both King Bhumibol's funeral and King Vajiralongkorn's coronation were proceeded concurrently by the government (the former was handled by Fine Arts Department while the latter handled by Bureau of the Royal Household). It's the King's wish, though, to postpone his coronation until he felt it's the 'right time' to be fully crowned as regal and rightful monarch. And that 'right time' nears as general election looms. My speculation is that it will takes place sometime between February - April next year.

It would be hard to invite foreign royals at such short notice like this. Why not have to Coronation next summer?

The last time King Bhumibol was crowned there was no foreign royals presented at the ceremony (at least to my knowledge), only foreign diplomats were presented. Maybe this time, too, there would be no royals from other countries participate in the event. However, no ones really knows how the ceremony will unfolded or how the royal bureau has planned. Shall wait until official details announced which I expect to happen in the next couple of months.

Coronation in May, the Palace Announced:
Thai king to be crowned in coronation ceremonies in May

Channel NewsAsia | 01 Jan 2019 02:10PM

BANGKOK: Thailand's king is to be officially crowned in coronation ceremonies held May 4-6, the royal palace said in a statement on Tuesday (Jan 1).

King Maha Vajiralongkorn, 66, has been serving as monarch since shortly after his father died in 2016 after a 70-year reign. "His Majesty deems it fit to hold the coronation ceremony per royal traditions for the good fortune of the nation and the kingdom, to be enjoyed by the hopeful people," the statement said. His official coronation has been delayed until after a period of mourning for his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was revered as a semi-divine figure in Thailand.

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...wned-in-coronation-ceremonies-in-may-11077694

Schedule of the event:
May 4, 2019
  • Coronation ceremonies
  • Grand audience and well-wishing ceremony with the royal family, the privy council, the cabinet and senior state officials
  • Assumption of the residence ceremony

May 5, 2019
  • Assumption of the regal signature ceremony
  • Assumption of the regal name ceremony
  • Royal title conferring ceremony for members of the royal family
  • State progress on land (circumambulation of the capital city)

May 6, 2019
  • Grand public audience on the balcony of Suthaisawan Prasat Hall (Pavilion over the Walls)
  • Grand audience and well-wishing ceremony with members of the diplomatic corps and foreign consulates at Chakri Maha Prasat Throne Hall
While state progress on water (royal barge procession) is preferred by HM the King to be postponed to the end of 2019 during the Royal Kathin Ceremony.

Source (in Thai): https://www.prachachat.net/royal-ho...y7N2Z7jqZEkwmjkCZOACk2FowAHq_E0mswfauA0K1xNvY

Information and detail of past coronations:

Last edited:
Royal title conferring ceremony for members of the royal family

Does this mean new titles will be given out to the RF?

Yes, sir. This is quite complicated but it is due to a distinct function in Thai royal titles which also specifies relationship of the title holder to the sovereign/monarch. Also, the concept of Luk Luang (ลูกหลวง; royal children) and Laan Luang (หลานหลวง; royal grandchildren) in Thai royal titles makes the ceremony a requirement in each royal transition as well.

Currently, title holders considered to be royal children Luk Luang (of King Bhumibol) is:

● Princess Chulabhorn: Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa Chulabhorn Walailak Agrarajakumari (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้าจุฬาภรณวลัยลักษณ์ อัครราชกุมารี)
Title holders considered to be royal grandchildren Laan Luang (of King Bhumibol) are:

----------- King's Vajiralongkorn's children ----------
● Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Dipangkorn Rasmijoti (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าทีปังกรรัศมีโชติ)
● Princess Bajrakitiyabha: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Bajrakitiyabha (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าพัชรกิติยาภา)
● Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Sirivannavari Nariratana (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าสิริวัณณวรีนารีรัตน์)

----------- King's Vajiralongkorn's nieces ----------
● Princess Siribhachudabhorn: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Siribhachudabhorn (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าสิริภาจุฑาภรณ์)
● Princess Aditayadornkitikhun: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Aditayadornkitikhun (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าอทิตยาทรกิติคุณ)

Since coronation ceremonies formally marks a new reign, royal title of members of the current family are required to be updated to fit the concept of Luk Luang / Laan Luang.
Luk Luang title of princes/princesses of the former reign will either be elevated to:

Phrachao Phi Ya Thoe (พระเจ้าพี่ยาเธอ) - Prince older brother
Phrachao Phi Naang Thoe (พระเจ้าพี่นางเธอ) - Princess older sister
Phrachao Nong Ya Thoe (พระเจ้าน้องยาเธอ) - Prince younger brother
Phrachao Nong Naang Thoe (พระเจ้าน้องนางเธอ) - Princess younger sister

Elevation of royal rank (eg. from Phra Ong Chao to Chaofa) can also be included.

Example of this title holder is Princess Galyani Vadhana (King Bhumibol's older sister): Somdet Phrachao Phi Naang Thoe Chaofa Galyani Vadhana Krommaluang Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra (สมเด็จพระเจ้าพี่นางเธอ เจ้าฟ้ากัลยาณิวัฒนา กรมหลวงนราธิวาสราชนครินทร์)
Laan Luang title of princes/princesses of the former reign will be elevated to Luk Luang titles of the new reign:

---------- Chaofa Rank (เจ้าฟ้า) ----------
Somdet Phrachao Luk Ya Thoe Chaofa (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกยาเธอ เจ้าฟ้า)
Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้า)

---------- Phra Ong Chao Rank (พระองค์เจ้า) ----------
Phrachao Luk Ya Thoe Phra Ong Chao (พระเจ้าลูกยาเธอ พระองค์เจ้า)
Phrachao Luk Thoe Phra Ong Chao (พระเจ้าลูกเธอ พระองค์เจ้า)

Please note that:

- Chaofa rank titles are higher than Phra Ong Chao rank titles.
- Luk Ya Thoe class titles are higher than Luk Thoe/Laan Thoe class titles.
- There is currently no Laan Ya Thoe class of royal titles ever conferred in Thai history.

Example of this title holder is Princess Sirindhorn (King Bhumibol's daughter; at birth): Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa Sirindhorn Debaratanasuda Kitivadhanadulsobhak (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้าสิรินธรเทพรัตนสุดา กิติวัฒนาดุลยโสภาคย์) whom later conferred to Princess Maha Chakri (Princess Royal) in 1977.

I'm still not quite sure how new royal titles will be conferred on each members of the current family. However, these are things that quite surely going to happen:

● Princess Sirindhorn's title will remain the same (Princess Royal) since it is the highest rank and class a Thai princess could earn.
● Children of King Vajiralongkorn's titles (Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti, Princess Bajrakitiyabha, Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana) will be elevated into Luk Luang class.

Confused? no wonder. Even I read the article regarding this topic in Thai I still get confused by the variety and complexity of the practice.

Last edited:
I hope the British royals will attend the Coronation. Perhaps sending Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge’s.

I hope the British royals will attend the Coronation. Perhaps sending Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge’s.

Based on protocol, Charles and Camilla should attend the coronation.

:previous: Absolutely, anyone else would be an insult. A coronation is a very rare and amazing event, Charles and Camilla will enjoy it.

Based on protocol, Charles and Camilla should attend the coronation.

First in line or second in line would be great.

:previous: Absolutely, anyone else would be an insult. A coronation is a very rare and amazing event, Charles and Camilla will enjoy it.

Actually the biggest insult would be to send The Duke of York or the Wessex’s. This is a grand occasion to send the Wales or Cambridge branch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom