The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-04-2018, 10:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Can they prepare a coronation on such short notice? Guess there will be no foreign royals invited then.
All things has been prepared since King Bhumibol's funeral was completed last year. Actually, preparations for both King Bhumibol's funeral and King Vajiralongkorn's coronation were proceeded concurrently by the government (the former was handled by Fine Arts Department while the latter handled by Bureau of the Royal Household). It's the King's wish, though, to postpone his coronation until he felt it's the 'right time' to be fully crowned as regal and rightful monarch. And that 'right time' nears as general election looms. My speculation is that it will takes place sometime between February - April next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It would be hard to invite foreign royals at such short notice like this. Why not have to Coronation next summer?
The last time King Bhumibol was crowned there was no foreign royals presented at the ceremony (at least to my knowledge), only foreign diplomats were presented. Maybe this time, too, there would be no royals from other countries participate in the event. However, no ones really knows how the ceremony will unfolded or how the royal bureau has planned. Shall wait until official details announced which I expect to happen in the next couple of months.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Nobility

Coronation in May, the Palace Announced:
Quote:
Thai king to be crowned in coronation ceremonies in May

Channel NewsAsia | 01 Jan 2019 02:10PM

BANGKOK: Thailand's king is to be officially crowned in coronation ceremonies held May 4-6, the royal palace said in a statement on Tuesday (Jan 1).

King Maha Vajiralongkorn, 66, has been serving as monarch since shortly after his father died in 2016 after a 70-year reign. "His Majesty deems it fit to hold the coronation ceremony per royal traditions for the good fortune of the nation and the kingdom, to be enjoyed by the hopeful people," the statement said. His official coronation has been delayed until after a period of mourning for his father, King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was revered as a semi-divine figure in Thailand.

Source: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...n-may-11077694

Old 01-01-2019, 02:33 AM
Nobility

Schedule of the event:
Quote:
May 4, 2019
  • Coronation ceremonies
  • Grand audience and well-wishing ceremony with the royal family, the privy council, the cabinet and senior state officials
  • Assumption of the residence ceremony

May 5, 2019
  • Assumption of the regal signature ceremony
  • Assumption of the regal name ceremony
  • Royal title conferring ceremony for members of the royal family
  • State progress on land (circumambulation of the capital city)

May 6, 2019
  • Grand public audience on the balcony of Suthaisawan Prasat Hall (Pavilion over the Walls)
  • Grand audience and well-wishing ceremony with members of the diplomatic corps and foreign consulates at Chakri Maha Prasat Throne Hall
While state progress on water (royal barge procession) is preferred by HM the King to be postponed to the end of 2019 during the Royal Kathin Ceremony.

Source (in Thai): https://www.prachachat.net/royal-hou...mswfauA0K1xNvY
Information and detail of past coronations:
Quote:
Wikipedia: Coronation of the Thai monarch
Old 01-01-2019, 06:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Royal title conferring ceremony for members of the royal family

Does this mean new titles will be given out to the RF?
Old 01-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Nobility

Yes, sir. This is quite complicated but it is due to a distinct function in Thai royal titles which also specifies relationship of the title holder to the sovereign/monarch. Also, the concept of Luk Luang (ลูกหลวง; royal children) and Laan Luang (หลานหลวง; royal grandchildren) in Thai royal titles makes the ceremony a requirement in each royal transition as well.

Quote:
Currently, title holders considered to be royal children Luk Luang (of King Bhumibol) is:

● Princess Chulabhorn: Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa Chulabhorn Walailak Agrarajakumari (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้าจุฬาภรณวลัยลักษณ์ อัครราชกุมารี)
Quote:
Title holders considered to be royal grandchildren Laan Luang (of King Bhumibol) are:

----------- King's Vajiralongkorn's children ----------
● Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Dipangkorn Rasmijoti (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าทีปังกรรัศมีโชติ)
● Princess Bajrakitiyabha: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Bajrakitiyabha (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าพัชรกิติยาภา)
● Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Sirivannavari Nariratana (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าสิริวัณณวรีนารีรัตน์)

----------- King's Vajiralongkorn's nieces ----------
● Princess Siribhachudabhorn: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Siribhachudabhorn (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าสิริภาจุฑาภรณ์)
● Princess Aditayadornkitikhun: Phrachao Laan Thoe Phra Ong Chao Aditayadornkitikhun (พระเจ้าหลานเธอ พระองค์เจ้าอทิตยาทรกิติคุณ)
Since coronation ceremonies formally marks a new reign, royal title of members of the current family are required to be updated to fit the concept of Luk Luang / Laan Luang.
Quote:
Luk Luang title of princes/princesses of the former reign will either be elevated to:

Phrachao Phi Ya Thoe (พระเจ้าพี่ยาเธอ) - Prince older brother
Phrachao Phi Naang Thoe (พระเจ้าพี่นางเธอ) - Princess older sister
Phrachao Nong Ya Thoe (พระเจ้าน้องยาเธอ) - Prince younger brother
Phrachao Nong Naang Thoe (พระเจ้าน้องนางเธอ) - Princess younger sister

Elevation of royal rank (eg. from Phra Ong Chao to Chaofa) can also be included.

Example of this title holder is Princess Galyani Vadhana (King Bhumibol's older sister): Somdet Phrachao Phi Naang Thoe Chaofa Galyani Vadhana Krommaluang Naradhiwas Rajanagarindra (สมเด็จพระเจ้าพี่นางเธอ เจ้าฟ้ากัลยาณิวัฒนา กรมหลวงนราธิวาสราชนครินทร์)
Quote:
Laan Luang title of princes/princesses of the former reign will be elevated to Luk Luang titles of the new reign:

---------- Chaofa Rank (เจ้าฟ้า) ----------
Somdet Phrachao Luk Ya Thoe Chaofa (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกยาเธอ เจ้าฟ้า)
Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้า)

---------- Phra Ong Chao Rank (พระองค์เจ้า) ----------
Phrachao Luk Ya Thoe Phra Ong Chao (พระเจ้าลูกยาเธอ พระองค์เจ้า)
Phrachao Luk Thoe Phra Ong Chao (พระเจ้าลูกเธอ พระองค์เจ้า)

Please note that:

- Chaofa rank titles are higher than Phra Ong Chao rank titles.
- Luk Ya Thoe class titles are higher than Luk Thoe/Laan Thoe class titles.
- There is currently no Laan Ya Thoe class of royal titles ever conferred in Thai history.

Example of this title holder is Princess Sirindhorn (King Bhumibol's daughter; at birth): Somdet Phrachao Luk Thoe Chaofa Sirindhorn Debaratanasuda Kitivadhanadulsobhak (สมเด็จพระเจ้าลูกเธอ เจ้าฟ้าสิรินธรเทพรัตนสุดา กิติวัฒนาดุลยโสภาคย์) whom later conferred to Princess Maha Chakri (Princess Royal) in 1977.
I'm still not quite sure how new royal titles will be conferred on each members of the current family. However, these are things that quite surely going to happen:

● Princess Sirindhorn's title will remain the same (Princess Royal) since it is the highest rank and class a Thai princess could earn.
● Children of King Vajiralongkorn's titles (Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti, Princess Bajrakitiyabha, Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana) will be elevated into Luk Luang class.

Confused? no wonder. Even I read the article regarding this topic in Thai I still get confused by the variety and complexity of the practice.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Commoner

FYI, the coronation going to be the same day as his father's.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

I hope the British royals will attend the Coronation. Perhaps sending Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge’s.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 12:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
I hope the British royals will attend the Coronation. Perhaps sending Charles and Camilla or the Cambridge’s.

Based on protocol, Charles and Camilla should attend the coronation.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Majesty

Absolutely, anyone else would be an insult. A coronation is a very rare and amazing event, Charles and Camilla will enjoy it.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Based on protocol, Charles and Camilla should attend the coronation.
First in line or second in line would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Absolutely, anyone else would be an insult. A coronation is a very rare and amazing event, Charles and Camilla will enjoy it.
Actually the biggest insult would be to send The Duke of York or the Wessex’s. This is a grand occasion to send the Wales or Cambridge branch.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree that it would be Charles and Camilla that attend and at the very least, Charles by himself. Nobody else would be correct to send.

I for one intend to watch everything connected with this coronation. The ceremonies that the Thai people put on are extraordinary and with so much meaning.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
First in line or second in line would be great.

Actually the biggest insult would be to send The Duke of York or the Wessex’s. This is a grand occasion to send the Wales or Cambridge branch.
Well then we may witness an insult in May. The Duke of York was the British royal who attended the last big events in Thailand, the late King Bhumibol's cremation ceremony and his 60th Jubilee celebrations, even though most of the other royal attendees were heirs and monarchs. Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't attend.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Well then we may witness an insult in May. The Duke of York was the British royal who attended the last big events in Thailand, the late King Bhumibol's cremation ceremony and his 60th Jubilee celebrations, even though most of the other royal attendees were heirs and monarchs. Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't attend.
Oh, I think that just might happen. This is such a grand and historic event and it deserve to be attended by only the immediate heirs; first or second in line to the throne. Of course knowing the British, a Royal way down the list could be sent.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

I would expect Charles to attend but wouldn't be surprised if Andrew didn't also attend as he is the one who does visit Thailand and the rest of south-Asia the most.

I would expect Charles to also attend the coronation in Japan.

It is standard protocol for the heir to the throne to attend these events, not the 2nd in line or anyone else. Unless the heir is indisposed it would be an insult to send anyone lower and not send the heir.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would expect Charles to attend but wouldn't be surprised if Andrew didn't also attend as he is the one who does visit Thailand and the rest of south-Asia the most.

I would expect Charles to also attend the coronation in Japan.

It is standard protocol for the heir to the throne to attend these events, not the 2nd in line or anyone else. Unless the heir is indisposed it would be an insult to send anyone lower and not send the heir.
But that’s what the British do. They for some reason send the non immediate heirs or don’t send anyone at all. Too many events have occurred without the presence of the Wales or Cambridge branch. This is a Coronation of the King of Siam. Only the first or second in line should attend. Charles and Camilla, or, if they can’t go, then the Cambridge’s. William is the most senior royal after Charles which is why I’m including him. It’s the Cambridge’s place to attend these events too.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

For weddings they may send someone lower - or funerals or jubilees.

For enthronements/coronations they send Charles e.g. The Netherlands enthronement was Charles and Camilla. They also attended the wedding of Crown Prince, now King Felipe of Spain.

I would expect Charles as heir and Andrew due to his own personal links as south Asia is an area where he does a lot of work and he attended the funeral.

William isn't high enough in rank. He is only the grandson of the monarch - that is what a lot of people forget - he is the GRANDSON of the monarch. Line of succession is not the determining factor but relationship to the monarch - and SON trumps GRANDSON.

The British send the sons of the monarch not the grandsons. The Queen knows which ones to send and sends the appropriate person - one of her own children rather than a mere grandson. It is her children she sends to celebrate major anniversaries with foreign countries.

When Charles is King he can send his sons but while it is the Queen she will send her children.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Are we sure foreign royals will attend at all?
This isn’t a European coronation, things might be different (and even in Europe it's different in every country).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleich View Post
The last time King Bhumibol was crowned there was no foreign royals presented at the ceremony (at least to my knowledge), only foreign diplomats were presented. Maybe this time, too, there would be no royals from other countries participate in the event. However, no ones really knows how the ceremony will unfolded or how the royal bureau has planned. Shall wait until official details announced which I expect to happen in the next couple of months.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Nobility

Queen Elizabeth II was said to be close to King Bhumibol. This was implied in a televised version of the Queen's 2017 Christmas Message, the year King Bhumibol was cremated, as you might have noticed that there was one item on her desk that looked rather Thai. It said to be a gift once King Bhumibol gave to her. So, there be this myth that she quietly mourns his death. However this has never been confirmed if such item was really a gift from King Bhumibol or not.

In another story, close relationship between the Emperor and Empress of Japan and the Thai monarch was explicitly evident. It all began with 'an exhibition about fishes' in 1964. This is confirmed by Their Imperial Majesties' private visit at the end of a state visit to Vietnam to pay respect before his urn in early 2017 as farewell to a dear friend.

Too bad, these kind of relationships have not been passed on to the likes of next generation because of 'an incident in Japan in 1987' and 'an incident in Britain in 1996' circulated around, then, the heir to the throne.

Anyway, back to the topic. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to chair a committee that oversees arrangements for the coronation.
Quote:
Government offers key coronation role to Princess

Wassana Nanuam | Bangkok Post | 3 Jan 2019 at 04:00

The government will invite Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to chair a committee overseeing arrangements for His Majesty the King's coronation, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said.

The invitation comes after the Royal Household Bureau announced on Tuesday that the King's coronation will take place May 4-6, with several ceremonies planned over the three-day period. Speaking after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Gen Prayut said the cabinet has assigned Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam to be responsible for setting up the committee and other related panels. Gen Prayut said several preliminary rites will be arranged ahead of coronation day. No details have yet been revealed.

More details: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/gen...le-to-princess
Old 01-09-2019, 02:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I guess foreign Royalty won´t be invited at a Thai coronation, will they? As far as I know there was not anyone significant present from foreign royal houses for the late King´s coronation?!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I guess foreign Royalty won´t be invited at a Thai coronation, will they? As far as I know there was not anyone significant present from foreign royal houses for the late King´s coronation?!
I think one will have to wait and see. For example at Emperor Akihitios coronation there where plent of foreig royals there but was thit also the case for his father's coronation?