King Bhumibol & Queen Sirikit current events: Feb 2006-Oct 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if this is distressing and hard for the country of Thailand, having another coup when the last one was only 15 (?) or so years ago - but I don't think we need to worry about the King and the Royal Family. They are safe, and all parties in Thailand support the monarchy, and they have stated that it will remain intact.

It's the Prime Minister who's their target. They took the opportunity to make this coup as he's in New York for the UN General Assembly meeting. This has been bound to happen, as there were major protest earlier this year - and the promised elections have been pushed forward... Putting it short, the PM is like the richest man in the country, and people are tired of him and his family enriching themselves and not doing things they've promised.

if theres got to be a coup, this is the way to do it! i'm so glad the royal family is safe and everything was so calm and peaceful. thanks for all the information.

This really does show the benefits of a constitutional monarchy. It's quite telling that there was only one man the Thai people looked to for guidance as a symbol of unity and stability - The King. Long may he reign.

I'm really relieved. And yes, Beatrix: this shown the advantages of the Monarchy.

Hope people in Thailand will be safe.

Vanesa.

200609212259000.jpg

Their Majesties the King and Queen grant an audience to leaders of the Council for Democratic Reform under Constitutional Monarchy, which is led by General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, and Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda on Wednesday (19-9-2006)

Pic: Royal Household Photo

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
This really does show the benefits of a constitutional monarchy. It's quite telling that there was only one man the Thai people looked to for guidance as a symbol of unity and stability - The King. Long may he reign.

Yesterday I was reading an interesting article on Financial Times newspaper about the King and the current events in his nation. It helps to explain, like so many recent news, that the King's office is not only the great mediator between rival politicians but he is also representing the interest of the nation above anyone else's.

Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej (L) with Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin (C) as he officially endorses the new temporary constitution for Thailand after the old one was abolished with the 19 September coup, in the Royal Palace in Bangkok,01 October 2006. The step was followed by the official swearing in at Government House of the new Thai Interim Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont. Thailand's new, military-appointed prime minister Chulanont said that he wasn't sure if he deserved the job, but he had to "take the responsibility" after receiving a mandate from the king.

from Profimedia

Hope things will improve now, in Thailand. The new governement seems to be serious enough, and at least, its is respectuous to the King and Monarchy. God bless them all for they could take their responsabilities as well as they can. :)

Vanesa.

In this picture realeased by the Royal Palace, Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont stands at the head of his group of Cabinet ministers, with his two deputies, Pridiyathorn Devakula on his left and Kosit Panpiemras on his right, as the group is sworn in before King Bhumibol Adulyadej on Monday, Oct. 9, 2006, at Chitlada Palace in Bangkok.

From yahoo/ap

King: Take Courage

KING-CABINET.jpg
His Majesty the King yesterday called on the interim cabinet to give priority to correcting the international community's perception of Thailand following the Sept 19 coup d'etat. The King made the call while addressing the 26 new ministers, led by Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who were sworn in at the Chitrlada Palace yesterday afternoon.
http://www.bangkokpost.co.th/News/10Oct2006_news01.php

Pic: PostToday Newspaper​

Flood Disaster

King's move helps save capital
space.gif

Ayutthaya holdings absorb inundation to keep Bangkok back from breaking point

His Majesty the King yesterday granted permission for the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) to divert water from the Chao Phya River basin to his land in Ayutthaya to help absorb the deluge before it flooded Bangkok.

Following His Majesty's initiative, residents of nearby areas agreed to allow the RID to divert a huge volume of water on to their own farmland to reduce the possibility of severe flooding in the capital.

His Majesty has 2,000 rai of land in Thung Makham Yong, Thung Phu Khao Thong and Muang district's Tambon Ban Mai. By last night, 300,000 cubic metres of water had been diverted to his land and that belonging to residents.

Thung Makham Yong and Thung Phu Khao Thong were presented to His Majesty by the original landlords and he once harvested rice paddies from the experimental rice field at Thung Phu Khao Thong.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/11/headlines/headlines_30015904.php

King wants military to repair country image

Thailand’s military-imposed Government has ordered an overseas charm offensive to repair the country’s image after the king said it had been damaged by last month’s coup.
“A lot of people who are not Thai, who are foreigners, are saying that Thailand is not good,” King Bhumibol told the Cabinet as it was sworn in this week.
“We have to try to change that. If we don’t, our country will lose its good name and it will be difficult for our people to live happily.”

HM always think on his people to live happily, Long Live the King.
(thewest.com.au)

Their Majesties grant more help to flood victims
space.gif

Their Majesties the King and Queen Tuesday sent more help to alleviate the hardships of flood victims in Angthong and Nakhon Sawan.

On behalf of His Majesty, deputy secretary-general of the Rachaprachanukroh Foundation Disathon Watcharoethai provided 2,000 sets of household supplies to villagers in tambon Sala Deang and Pa Ngew of Angthong's Muang district.

His Majesty had already sent 4,500 relief bags to Angthong residents via the foundation.

Her Majesty the Queen sent deputy secretary-general of the Thai Red Cross Society Phaen Wannamethi, to provide 1,045 relief bags to flood-affected residents in Nakhon Sawan's Krok Phra district.

The Nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30016418

Relief packs delivered but 10 more drown
space.gif

Officials warn that Bangkok will face a big rise in water from Sunday, Monday

His Majesty the King granted 3,000 relief bags yesterday to flood-affected locals in Ayutthaya's Thung Makham Yong.

On behalf of His Majesty, Disathon Watcharoethai, of the Rachaprachanukroh Foundation, provided the bags to appreciative residents in Thung Phukhao Thong and Thung Makham Yong, along with the villagers in Tabom Khayai in Bang Pahan District and Tambon Nam Tao in Maharaj District, near the Siriyalai Palace.

Thung Phukhao Thong and Thung Makham Yong are properties that belong to His Majesty, who last week allowed the Royal Irrigation Department (RID) to divert water into the area to help absorb the deluge before it flooded Bangkok.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/10/19/national/national_30016575.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Queen concerned coyote dancing

BANGKOK, Oct 30 (TNA) - In apparent response to Her Majesty the Queen's concern over a popular racy dance craze by "Coyote Girls", Thailand's Ministry of Culture is issuing a regulation prohibiting female students aged under 20 to become "Coyote Girls" and "Pretty Girls", young women usually featured in provocative clothing hired by merchants to promote their products.

Seeing TV footage of flirtatious dancing during a broadcast from the recent Rocket Festival in the northeastern province of Nong Khai, Her Majesty Queen Sirikit expressed concern through her secretary that "coyote dancing" seemed inappropriate at such an event and would tarnish the image of Thailand as a centre of Buddhism.

Ms. Ladda Tangsupachai, director of the ministry's cultural watchdog centre said that heads of provincial cultural offices must report to the ministry monthly and the ministry will report progress of its implementation to Her Majesty the Queen's secretary.:cool:

Wow. Go Queen Sirikit. I wish our Queen would do something like this every now and then. I think that Her Majesty is right to protect the image of Thailand in this way.

Asian Hero: King Bhumibul

TIME praises King Bhumibol as Asian Hero

BANGKOK, Nov 7 (TNA) - His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand is praised by TIME Magazine in its current issue as an Asian Hero who has inspired the Thai people during his 60 years on the throne.

American weekly newsmagazine TIME's November 13 issue said that during a reign of 60 years, His Majesty the King has been a beloved monarch who used his moral authority to guide Thailand through many crises.

King Bhumibol also gave his advice to governments, always urging them to put public interest first, said TIME.

"His stewardship has been so masterful that in times of crisis Thais invariably turn to one man: King Bhumibol. Indeed, on two occasions--October 1973 and May 1992--with Thailand descending into chaos, the King, armed only with his moral authority, intervened to end bloodshed," the magazine said.

In October 14, 1973 a student-led uprising helped topple the military regime of Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn.

May 1992 was later called ''Bloody May'' after the military opened fire on unarmed demonstrators calling for the resignation of a general who had taken power in a bloodless coup.

The military led by then army chief Gen. Suchinda Kraprayoon toppled the government of late prime minister Chatichai Choonhavan in a coup.

Thousands of people took to the streets of Bangkok to protest the military's seizure of the power after Gen. Suchinda took the premiership.

A subsequent bloody army crackdown saw scores of protestors killed. Many others are still missing.
On September 19 this year, a group of generals again seized power, pledging to give Thailand a fairer and more stable democratic system. The Thai people believe the generals will keep their promise as they had vowed to King Bhumibol to return power to the people in one year.

Time Magazine said that when King Bhumibol, at age 18, ascended the throne, some media, including TIME, wondered whether the inexperienced teenager could weather the kingdom's bumpy political situation. Now, His Majesty the King has proved his ablilities and his devoted effort to help the people.

TIME added that His Majesty the King initiated over 3,000 royal projects to help the poor, saying that even as a communist insurgency raged, he personally delivered relief to remote villages.

He is the world's longest-reigning monarch and this year Thailand celebrates the 60th anniversary of His Majesty the King's accession to the throne.

In this special issue, the magazine selected 64 persons as Asian Heroes, divided into five catagories --nation builders, artists and thinkers, business leaders, athletes and explorers, and inspirations. (TNA)-E003 :flowers:

Last edited:
HM the King authorized Thai consul general in Hong Kong as his representative to accept TIME's Asian Heroes Award. HM is one of the 60 Asian Heroes selected by TIME magazine :flowers:

Newsline

Last edited:
Article From Time

60 years of Asian Heros: Inspirations

King Bhumibol Adulyadej
Over 60 years, a beloved monarch has used his moral authority to guide Thailand through many crises
By Robert Horn

As a single shot shattered the stillness of Bangkok's Borompimarn Palace on a steamy June morning in 1946, the land some still called Siam changed forever. Twenty-year-old King Ananda was dead. The manner of his passing—by accident, suicide or murder—endures as Thailand's deepest mystery. The pistol smoke barely had time to clear before the mantle of kingship passed to Ananda's 18-year-old brother, Bhumibol Adulyadej. Some, including a new magazine in Asia named TIME, pondered whether the "gangling, spectacled" teenager could survive the deadly intrigues of a fabled and faraway Oriental land.

The odds were against him. All across Southeast Asia, monarchies were being extinguished—kings and princes stripped of power, driven into exile or executed. Yet young Bhumibol steadily grew in stature, not least by launching over 3,000 royal projects to help the poor. Even as a communist insurgency raged, he personally delivered relief to remote villages. Bhumibol also quietly counseled and sometimes openly cajoled governments, always urging them to put public interest first. Having sat on the throne for 60 years, he is the world's longest-reigning monarch. His stewardship has been so masterful that in times of crisis Thais invariably turn to one man: King Bhumibol. Indeed, on two occasions—October 1973 and May 1992—with Thailand descending into chaos, the King, armed only with his moral authority, intervened to end bloodshed.

Today, a group of generals has again seized power. They have pledged to give Thailand a fairer and lasting democratic system. Once more, Thailand's people will look to King Bhumibol, trusting him to ensure that the generals keep their promise.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/2006/heroes/in_adulyadej.html

Bangkok, THAILAND: Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej reviews the honor guard as a part of the celebration to commemorate his 79th birthday at the Royal Plaza in Bangkok, 02 December 2006. Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej called on Thai's to unite following a bloodless coup in September, and told soldiers that they needed to remain honest after their takeover.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/FrameSet.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c12%2f3%2f2006%7c12%2f1%2f2006%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c7%7c%7cking%7c2233391784121335%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=7&tag=1

:) HM turns 79 today! Long Live King Bhumibol :)

Last edited:
His Majesty's Speech on Birthday's Eve

space.gif
His Majesty's Full Birthday Speech

His Majesty the King delivered a speech on December 4, 2006 on the occassion of his 79th birthday on Tuesday.

The following is an unofficial translation of the speech:

Thank you all for being here today to wish me a happy birthday. The well wishing as expressed by the prime minister is especially encouraging. I did not stand up to acknowledge your well wishing gesture since my physical strength did not permit although mentally, I am fit enough. I hope you understand that. Physical strength has its use.

For our nation, both physical and mental strength is essential. For the prime minister, he has to exercise both physical and mental strength to show how useful it is. Every other people must also use their physical and mental strength to save the country from perils. Do not leave it to the government alone since the government is not all that powerful. This government in particular is run by the elderly but being elderly is in fact a power.

For me, I am still 78 years old today and will be 79 tomorrow. I am not 80 yet and the prime minister is not yet 80 either. At the age of 80, some still can work vigorously. Old age can be an advantage in terms of accumulated knowledge and experiences. Young people who look down on the elderly are in fact inferior themselves. Old people who well maintain their intelligence and moral integrity can help the country prosper. But for those who do not know how to make use of their old age, they are just like children mentally.

This kind of people can be very dangerous. Their immaturity and inferior feeling about their old age could lead to the fall of the country. It is sad for those who keep regretting about getting old without trying to make use of it. Elderly people can make use of their old age and experiences to help other people and the country. I hope old people with good experiences will successfully work for the nation.

For old people in the government, they have no greed for themselves and deserve a compliment for their willingness to continue to serve the country although they have long worked and should have their retirement time. Although they have never taken this kind of job before, they will likely do it well thanks to their experiences.

Those people took the job in time of trouble. It is not politics that I am talking about. I do not want to talk about politics now. I am bored with it. It is the flooding that I will talk about.

Although the overall volume of rainwater this year is lower than the 1995 record, floods this year are more serious because of poor water management. With better management, the flood problem should not be as serious as it is now. I have information about flood and natural water situations with me here. With better equipment nowadays, floodwater can be drained out faster than in 1995.

This can be done in many areas especially at the Chao Phya River estuary. Existing floodgates in Phra Pradaeng can be effectively used to block a high tide from overflowing the river and flooding Bangkok. Under good timing management, the facilities can also drain out a groundwater overflow from the city at the time of low tide. The same method should be used in other areas too with some investment and labour required. When to open or close floodgates holds key to effective flood prevention.

Back in 1995, I sent out a Royal guard to check out a seaside flood station one night and he reportedly found the floodgate keeper sleeping while the tide was rising. The man said he was not aware of the timing of low and high tides but just followed his superiors' orders on when to close or open the floodgate. This explained how a high sea tide could then cause the canal linked to the floodgate to overflow and thus flood part of Bangkok. There is still about one more month left to correct what was wrong in flood prevention and it is not too late though. I just pick up the flood topic today since my tired voice about it might not be well heard once before. Today my voice gets clearer thanks to good medicine and I want to let you know about it.

Too much talking is like flooding and I do not want to talk too much myself. But I cannot miss talking about Prime Minister Surayud for the sake of his good intention and honesty in serving the country. I hope everyone will do their duty well and I will be as happy as I am at the age of 80. May everyone who works with determination and honesty and realises in the use of their old age succeed in their jobs.

The Nation
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/05/headlines/headlines_30020787.php

HIS MAJESTY TURNS 79
Country celebrates
space.gif

Crowds throng streets of Bangkok and provincial capitals for the King's birthday

The entire nation celebrated His Majesty the King's 79th birthday yesterday when yellow-clad subjects gathered in every province to show their loyalty and to mark the special occasion.

His Majesty yesterday stressed the importance of unity to ensure a stable and prosperous future for Thailand.

Thousands of people waited for Their Majesties the King and Queen's motorcade to pass along Rajdamnoen Avenue in the evening. All loyal subjects wore yellow, some waiting at the site where the evening motorcade passed had been there since the morning in order to get a glimpse of the royal family.

In the morning, the King and other members of the royal family took part in a royal ceremony and Buddhist and Brahmin rites at the Grand Palace to mark the special occasion.

During the ceremony, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn wished His Majesty a happy birthday on behalf of the royal family. Prime Minister General Surayud Chulanont then offered best wishes on behalf of the Thai people, followed by Meechai Ruchuphan, president of the National Legislative Assembly.

In turn HM the King replied by saying that Thai citizens should unite for the country's sake.

"Together, Thai people established the nation until it prospered and became stable. This has continued for a long time despite at times the country facing emergencies and trouble," the King said.

"We all surmounted these [odds], however, through wisdom, through dhamma and goodness, and through unity. It enabled us to be free, happy and prosper until today. It should be a reminder for all of us who reside in this land to be united ... and be reasonable and responsible for the public in order to rid the bias and nurture loving kindness and unity," he said.

Elsewhere, the celebrations saw more people wearing yellow shirts than ever before.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/12/06/headlines/headlines_30020841.php

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej has sent a message of congratulations to Dr Margaret Chan on her appointment as the new director-general of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Chan was a recipient of the Prince Mahidol Award, instituted in honour of His Majesty's father, in 1998. She was cited for her role in efficiently controlling the bird-flu outbreak in Hong Kong.

The Nation

Bush will meet King Bhumibol

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former President George Bush will lead a U.S. delegation to Thailand for celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's accession to the throne.:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom