Future and Popularity of the Thai Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read an article a women received a 43 year jail sentence, for insulting the Monarchy? Wonder how much a Murderer or Rapist will get? Every Monarchy has this law I don't think it is enforced in European Monarchy.

That sentence is harsh even regarding strict Thai majeste leste legistature. IIRC usually it is something like 20 years so that woman got two time longer prison sentence than usually. And Thai prisons are not any kind of hotles. In European monarchies has indeed some majesty leste laws but not that harsh and I think that worst punishment is some fines. And priobably you should go really far before that.

It seems that government and royal court is really worried about future and they try scare people to be silent. But this might work differently than intended. Such harsh punishments rarely have worked very long.

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's ministry of digital economy and society will file a criminal complaint of defaming the country's monarchy against banned opposition politician Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a ministry statement said on Wednesday.

The complaint under Article 112 of the Thai criminal code is to be filed on Wednesday afternoon, according to an official ministry agenda sent to reporters.

Two officials in the ministry confirmed the agenda but declined to be named. Thailand's royal defamation law, known as lese majeste, punishes defaming or insulting the Thai king by up to 15 years in prison.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/thai-govt-hit-opposition-figure-060138006.html

So, apparently criticizing why Thai government subsidizing the king's private company 600 millions to set up its vaccine factory instead of invest in government own facility or other private company is illegal.

I read an article a women received a 43 year jail sentence, for insulting the Monarchy? Wonder how much a Murderer or Rapist will get? Every Monarchy has this law I don't think it is enforced in European Monarchy.
You know what worse? The actual jail term was 87 years, but only the woman, a former civil servant, agreed to plead guilty, the term was then cut half to 43 years. This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

Last year was not a good year for the Thai Monarchy and it seems so far into 2021 there's not much change either.

You know what worse? The actual jail term was 87 years, but only the woman, a former civil servant, agreed to plead guilty, the term was then cut half to 43 years. This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.

Also allow a child molester of more than 100 victims on 200k bail but she can't be bailed because it upset the royalist.

Maybe I am to old for this, but shouldn't a Monarch set the example for the rest of the nation?. In my opinion Respect has to be earned, it is not just given because one has a title, or money. The primary word is earned. Speaking freely should be a lesson learned, by the other person, not to hinder to save one owes ass.

Thai progressive leader indicted on charge of defaming king | The Asahi Shimbun (posted April 12, 2022)
A popular leader of Thailand’s progressive political movement has vowed to continue his activities despite being indicted on charges of defaming the king and violating a law on online activity which carry penalties of up to 20 years in prison.

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a co-founder of the court-disbanded Future Forward Party, was indicted Monday for comments he made in January last year about the awarding of a government COVID-19 vaccine production contract to a company owned by King Maha Vajiralongkorn. His comments were part of a general criticism that the government of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha bungled its vaccination campaign by failing to ensure timely, adequate and effective supplies.

Thanathorn was granted release on bail of 90,000 baht ($2,670).

Thaland’s lese majeste law, Article 112 of the Criminal Code, carries a prison term of up to 15 years for insulting the monarchy, but critics say it is often wielded as a tool to quash political dissent. The charge of breaching the computer crime act is punishable by five years. His comments last year were made during a Facebook Live session.

“I am not the first and will not be the last silenced by Article 112 despite the fact that my criticisms are for the benefit of the public, stemming from concerns that Thai people will not receive vaccines fast enough or will receive inefficient vaccines,” Thanathorn said on his Facebook page after his indictment.

[...]

“Thanathorn’s criticism is toward the government’s policy, and there is no content that defames the (royal) institution. But like other cases, it’s a tool to silence critics,” his lawyer, Krisadang Nutcharas, said Tuesday. “This actually tarnishes the reputation of the monarchy rather than protects it.”

:previous:

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a co-founder of the court-disbanded Future Forward Party, was indicted Monday for comments he made in January last year about the awarding of a government COVID-19 vaccine production contract to a company owned by King Maha Vajiralongkorn. His comments were part of a general criticism that the government of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha bungled its vaccination campaign by failing to ensure timely, adequate and effective supplies.

[...]

“Thanathorn’s criticism is toward the government’s policy, and there is no content that defames the (royal) institution. But like other cases, it’s a tool to silence critics,” his lawyer, Krisadang Nutcharas, said Tuesday. “This actually tarnishes the reputation of the monarchy rather than protects it.”

When the King is personally receiving profits from the government's policies, then I can understand why any criticism of the government policies is (intentionally) interpreted as criticism of the King.

Back
Top Bottom