The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-17-2020, 04:34 PM
Serene Highness

Everything I think I know about Thai politics I think I've learned from this thread, so forgive me, but there's not much democracy in Thailand, so what does getting rid of the monarchy or even the king achieve? Vajiralongkorn is clearly an awful monarch and person, but (somehow) getting him to leave isn't going to make the government any more amenable to people's demands.

That's why this started with monarchical reform, right? Where's the end point now?

Old 10-17-2020, 10:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
Everything I think I know about Thai politics I think I've learned from this thread, so forgive me, but there's not much democracy in Thailand, so what does getting rid of the monarchy or even the king achieve? Vajiralongkorn is clearly an awful monarch and person, but (somehow) getting him to leave isn't going to make the government any more amenable to people's demands.

That's why this started with monarchical reform, right? Where's the end point now?
Sorry, if you do more research you'll find that this is not the first time Thailand sees street protests. The monarchy keep meddling with politics preventing Thailand from progressing towards successful democracy. All the coups, all the military juntas was supported by the palace, a notorious military-monarchy alliance. That's why we saw 13 successful coup d'etats and 20 constitutions from 1932 up until now.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2nzXRNh/DEDSA.jpg
Source: The depraved rule of Thailand’s Caligula king

If Thailand allow this to continue when will this ugly cycle between failed democracy and military rules going to end? This is an ultimatum to the monarchy. It is the source of all these problems people seen for decades and it is the one who can decide the end point, not the protesters. Reform or perish. Be a genuine constitutional monarchy or ended up on history textbooks. That's what the protesters trying to say. Otherwise we're going to see this royal house thread recategorised under "Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies" instead.

Old 11-01-2020, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

"As thousands of protesters in Thailand demand reform to the monarchy, the King has told Channel 4 News/CNN in an exclusive interview that "we love them all the same" and Thailand is "the land of compromise" - suggesting there may be a way out of the months long political standoff"

https://twitter.com/i/status/1322931688004112384
Old 11-27-2020, 07:03 AM
Nobility

SCB is Thailand's second largest bank has King Vajiralongkorn as its biggest shareholder with 23.4% of the stakes registered in his own name:

Nikkei Asia: Thailand protesters call for probe into king's wealth and spending

"We love them all the same", "Thailand is the land of compromise" said a king whose government violently cracked down on pro-democracy, pro-reform protesters who wanted to save Thai monarchy from destroying itself:

Ah yes, more compromise..

Old 12-23-2020, 04:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

"As expected, King Vajiralongkorn has cancelled his flight back to Munich via Zurich on December 29. He will remain in Thailand into 2021 and it is unknown when he will return to Germany. Some German diplomats doubt he will ever go back."

https://twitter.com/zenjournalist/st...092864/photo/1
Old 12-23-2020, 01:51 PM
Courtier

The King needs to stay in Thailand, he can not rule his Country from the beautiful Free State of Bavaria. As a head of state he belongs in Thailand not across the world in a other country.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL COUNTESS View Post
The King needs to stay in Thailand, he can not rule his Country from the beautiful Free State of Bavaria. As a head of state he belongs in Thailand not across the world in a other country.
I thought it was more that he wasn't welcome in Germany...
Old 12-23-2020, 02:57 PM
Majesty

I believe that the King has changed his attitudes to save the monarchy.
Apparently, the King spent more time in Germany than in Thailand.
Thankfully, the King is changing his attitudes, it may be that this way things calm down in Thailand.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I believe that the King has changed his attitudes to save the monarchy.
Apparently, the King spent more time in Germany than in Thailand.
Thankfully, the King is changing his attitudes, it may be that this way things calm down in Thailand.
Nope and no way that is happening.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 AM
Nobility

Old 01-19-2021, 12:20 PM
Courtier

I read an article a women received a 43 year jail sentence, for insulting the Monarchy? Wonder how much a Murderer or Rapist will get? Every Monarchy has this law I don't think it is enforced in European Monarchy.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I read an article a women received a 43 year jail sentence, for insulting the Monarchy? Wonder how much a Murderer or Rapist will get? Every Monarchy has this law I don't think it is enforced in European Monarchy.

That sentence is harsh even regarding strict Thai majeste leste legistature. IIRC usually it is something like 20 years so that woman got two time longer prison sentence than usually. And Thai prisons are not any kind of hotles. In European monarchies has indeed some majesty leste laws but not that harsh and I think that worst punishment is some fines. And priobably you should go really far before that.

It seems that government and royal court is really worried about future and they try scare people to be silent. But this might work differently than intended. Such harsh punishments rarely have worked very long.
Old 01-20-2021, 01:28 AM
Commoner

Quote:
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's ministry of digital economy and society will file a criminal complaint of defaming the country's monarchy against banned opposition politician Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, a ministry statement said on Wednesday.

The complaint under Article 112 of the Thai criminal code is to be filed on Wednesday afternoon, according to an official ministry agenda sent to reporters.

Two officials in the ministry confirmed the agenda but declined to be named. Thailand's royal defamation law, known as lese majeste, punishes defaming or insulting the Thai king by up to 15 years in prison.

https://ph.news.yahoo.com/thai-govt-...060138006.html
So, apparently criticizing why Thai government subsidizing the king's private company 600 millions to set up its vaccine factory instead of invest in government own facility or other private company is illegal.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:36 AM
Nobility

Quote:
You know what worse? The actual jail term was 87 years, but only the woman, a former civil servant, agreed to plead guilty, the term was then cut half to 43 years. This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Last year was not a good year for the Thai Monarchy and it seems so far into 2021 there's not much change either.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:53 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleich View Post
You know what worse? The actual jail term was 87 years, but only the woman, a former civil servant, agreed to plead guilty, the term was then cut half to 43 years. This is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.
Also allow a child molester of more than 100 victims on 200k bail but she can't be bailed because it upset the royalist.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Maybe I am to old for this, but shouldn't a Monarch set the example for the rest of the nation?. In my opinion Respect has to be earned, it is not just given because one has a title, or money. The primary word is earned. Speaking freely should be a lesson learned, by the other person, not to hinder to save one owes ass.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 PM
Nobility

Tags
future, popularity, thai royal family, thailand