Future and Popularity of the Thai Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But Queen Suthida and Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti are not to blame for anything. :sad:

Was the queen forced to marry the king? If not, it was her own decision to become part of this. The prince is a different case: I guess he has little power to request that he grow up in Thailand instead of Germany.

Was the queen forced to marry the king? If not, it was her own decision to become part of this. The prince is a different case: I guess he has little power to request that he grow up in Thailand instead of Germany.

It doesn't matter, if hte public has turned against the King, which it clearly has, they may well turn against the whole RF or the idea of monarchy....

Poor queen and prince. They deserve to be happy not this. The queen deserves a better husband, a real king. The prince deserves a better father and to be with his mother again.

She was a bit forced into this actually. This king is cruel and must get everything that he wants. You probably don’t want to say no to the most powerful man in the country do you?

She was a bit forced into this actually. This king is cruel and must get everything that he wants. You probably don’t want to say no to the most powerful man in the country do you?
how was she forced? If she was well off enough to attract his attention, she was surely well off enough to leave Thailand if she didn't want to marry him.,...

how was she forced? If she was well off enough to attract his attention, she was surely well off enough to leave Thailand if she didn't want to marry him.,...

Unfortunately, things always do not quite work that way.

She didn’t intend to attract his attention I believe. She was just doing her work as an attendant on that Thai Airways’ charity flight in which the king, then the crown prince, was a pilot and be nice to everyone on board just what she was meant to do. The crown prince happened to like her and, of course, got what he wanted as always.

Talking about leaving, since an incident with his 2nd wife who now lives with her sons in Florida, he makes sure nobody could now leave so easily. Remember how his 3rd wife is now ended up after fell from grace?

I suppose refusing/leaving the King (then crown prince) is impossible given Thailand's lèse majesté laws.

The institution of the monarchy, according to several of my Thai friends, is still highly regarded in Thailand, and favoured by the military. It is the person who currently sits upon the throne that is bringing it into disrepute. There is no regard for the Queen, again according to my friends in Thailand. However, the King’s two daughters are highly thought of. People on here keep referring to the Crown Prince - there is no Crown Prince. The King has not named an heir or created his son Crown Prince. The military may like the son to be king given he may have learning difficulties and would be easily manipulated by a regency, but the constant message I get from Thailand is to have a sovereign Queen, which would be unique for Thailand, but is allowed by the Constitution. One Thai friend has suggested to me that there are other branches of the family which could replace the current branch, but I think the people would want to see some sort of continuity from the late Rama IX. The feeling I get us the Thai people would be happy with a constitutional monarch who they respected, they just don’t want the current person as their sovereign.

She didn’t intend to attract his attention I believe. She was just doing her work as an attendant on that Thai Airways’ charity flight in which the king, then the crown prince, was a pilot and be nice to everyone on board just what she was meant to do. The crown prince happened to like her and, of course, got what he wanted as always.

Talking about leaving, since an incident with his 2nd wife who now lives with her sons in Florida, he makes sure nobody could now leave so easily. Remember how his 3rd wife is now ended up after fell from grace?

I dont know anything about the Thai Monarchy.... but from what I've looked up yes she isn't a rich woman who socialized with the RF.. and I suspect thanks to the positively tyrannical rules in Thailand, unless she was very well to do, she would probably not have had much hope of escaping him if he took a fancy to her. but IMO its time for the monarchy to end.....with a benign despot it might be tolerable but once you get someone like this King in charge its a disaster and it seems to have driven the population to want the end to the monarchy or the end to this kings reign...

Just because the current king is disliked it doesn’t mean the whole institution of monarchy needs to go. If you have a barrel of apples and one is rotten you don’t throw the whole lot away, just remove the rotten one. For example Trump is a disliked President but no-one is advocating getting rid of the presidency.
There are, it seems, two issues for discussion - a) should the current king be replaced and modernise the monarchy or b) should the monarchy be abolished.
From what my Thai friends tell me (and I listen to them rather than the sensationalist foreign press who make up what they don’t know) it is the person on the throne they want removing not the monarchy. There is a difference between the monarch and the monarchy.

Just because the current king is disliked it doesn’t mean the whole institution of monarchy needs to go. If you have a barrel of apples and one is rotten you don’t throw the whole lot away, just remove the rotten one. For example Trump is a disliked President but no-one is advocating getting rid of the presidency.
There are, it seems, two issues for discussion - a) should the current king be replaced and modernise the monarchy or b) should the monarchy be abolished.
From what my Thai friends tell me (and I listen to them rather than the sensationalist foreign press who make up what they don’t know) it is the person on the throne they want removing not the monarchy. There is a difference between the monarch and the monarchy.

Clearly the whole system is rotten....

It doesn't matter, if hte public has turned against the King, which it clearly has, they may well turn against the whole RF or the idea of monarchy....

The situation is very critical and attracting lots of media attention around the world.

Thank you for the informative article. I wonder if the international spotlight will influence the response of the king and government.
You're welcome. Probably not, if he really care, things wouldn't have came this far. And the government? just a bunch of his servants.

I hope the monarchy will survive. But the government and the king need to do something to improve the situation.

Last night authority cracked down peacful protestors for calling on monarchy reforms. This is appearent rejection to such calls. The government, the monarchy, the entire establishment's denials to change is explicit. Many protestors especially younger generations are now agree that this monarchy won't survive and must be ended.

Last edited:
Everything I think I know about Thai politics I think I've learned from this thread, so forgive me, but there's not much democracy in Thailand, so what does getting rid of the monarchy or even the king achieve? Vajiralongkorn is clearly an awful monarch and person, but (somehow) getting him to leave isn't going to make the government any more amenable to people's demands.

That's why this started with monarchical reform, right? Where's the end point now?

Everything I think I know about Thai politics I think I've learned from this thread, so forgive me, but there's not much democracy in Thailand, so what does getting rid of the monarchy or even the king achieve? Vajiralongkorn is clearly an awful monarch and person, but (somehow) getting him to leave isn't going to make the government any more amenable to people's demands.

That's why this started with monarchical reform, right? Where's the end point now?
Sorry, if you do more research you'll find that this is not the first time Thailand sees street protests. The monarchy keep meddling with politics preventing Thailand from progressing towards successful democracy. All the coups, all the military juntas was supported by the palace, a notorious military-monarchy alliance. That's why we saw 13 successful coup d'etats and 20 constitutions from 1932 up until now.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y2nzXRNh/DEDSA.jpg
Source: The depraved rule of Thailand’s Caligula king

If Thailand allow this to continue when will this ugly cycle between failed democracy and military rules going to end? This is an ultimatum to the monarchy. It is the source of all these problems people seen for decades and it is the one who can decide the end point, not the protesters. Reform or perish. Be a genuine constitutional monarchy or ended up on history textbooks. That's what the protesters trying to say. Otherwise we're going to see this royal house thread recategorised under "Other Non-Reigning Houses and Historical Monarchies" instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
"As thousands of protesters in Thailand demand reform to the monarchy, the King has told Channel 4 News/CNN in an exclusive interview that "we love them all the same" and Thailand is "the land of compromise" - suggesting there may be a way out of the months long political standoff"

SCB is Thailand's second largest bank has King Vajiralongkorn as its biggest shareholder with 23.4% of the stakes registered in his own name:

Nikkei Asia: Thailand protesters call for probe into king's wealth and spending

"We love them all the same", "Thailand is the land of compromise" said a king whose government violently cracked down on pro-democracy, pro-reform protesters who wanted to save Thai monarchy from destroying itself:

Ah yes, more compromise..

Last edited by a moderator:
The King needs to stay in Thailand, he can not rule his Country from the beautiful Free State of Bavaria. As a head of state he belongs in Thailand not across the world in a other country.

The King needs to stay in Thailand, he can not rule his Country from the beautiful Free State of Bavaria. As a head of state he belongs in Thailand not across the world in a other country.

I thought it was more that he wasn't welcome in Germany...

I believe that the King has changed his attitudes to save the monarchy.
Apparently, the King spent more time in Germany than in Thailand.
Thankfully, the King is changing his attitudes, it may be that this way things calm down in Thailand.

I believe that the King has changed his attitudes to save the monarchy.
Apparently, the King spent more time in Germany than in Thailand.
Thankfully, the King is changing his attitudes, it may be that this way things calm down in Thailand.
Nope and no way that is happening.

I read an article a women received a 43 year jail sentence, for insulting the Monarchy? Wonder how much a Murderer or Rapist will get? Every Monarchy has this law I don't think it is enforced in European Monarchy.

Back
Top Bottom