Future and Popularity of the Thai Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
This king is very controversial. And it seems that people don't like him. Can he not abdicate for his sister or one of his children to replace him?

:previous:
This king is very controversial. And it seems that people don't like him. Can he not abdicate for his sister or one of his children to replace him?

I don't think that he even wants to do that. And junta hardly want shake monarchy trying to do that. So either we have just wait that the king dies from old age or then he is ousted on revolution.

He was unpopular long before his father died in 2016. If he didn't really wish to reign he wouldn't have ascended the throne in the first place. So, in my oppinion, abdication is very unlikely.

He certainly doesn't seem to be the type to abdicate in favour of anyone else, unless there's another coup that forces him out. Somehow even if it happened I think it would still end with him holed up in a hotel with a lot of money and a harem.

His son is only 15 years old, there seems to have been some movement on making his daughter is heir at one point, especially when she was rumoured to be engaged, but that obviously hasn't happened.

For king and country: A group of royalist supporters hold framed pictures of members of the royal family as they rally outside parliament and call on the government to protect the institution on Monday.
https://static.bangkokpost.com/media/content/20200811/c1_1965951_200811110633.jpg

Anti-government protesters were on Monday warned to avoid involving the monarchy in political conflict even as rallies by both royalists and their opponents ended without incident.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/politics/1965951/leave-the-monarchy-out-of-it

I don't think that he even wants to do that. And junta hardly want shake monarchy trying to do that. So either we have just wait that the king dies from old age or then he is ousted on revolution.

I think the only way he goes is if the junta tires of him...

"We have goals, demands and a dream. Our dream is to have a country that is ruled by a true constitutional monarchy like England, Japan, Denmark or Norway where the monarchy is under the constitution and the highest power belongs to the people" one of the students said.

#RepublicOfThailand became trending on Twitter in Thailand after parliament delayed decision to amend the constitution, a hint of rejection on political and monarchical reform pleas. As astonishing as it is, in just a couple of years, Thai monarchy went from one of the world's most popular to one that most ready to fall.

Last edited:
I hope the monarchy will hold. I am a monarchist.

Yes I hope so too - but the holder of the office isn't a big help atm.

How unpopular is the king?

Most of the protesters is supportive of the monarchy, the genuinely democratic and constitutional one. The current regime in Thailand is not and that's why the protesters are calling for reforms not abolishment. But as time goes by, it seems like those in powers never learn from the history at all, of how this kind of repugnant attitude and denial would finally paving way for something beyond compromise when breaking point is reached.

To give you an idea how unpopular it is right now especially among younger generations, if popularity of Thai Monarchy were a person, that person took almost 70 years to reach a mountain top but suddenly, the person is pushed off a cliff because of this:

The depraved rule of Thailand’s Caligula king

Most of the protesters is supportive of the monarchy, the genuinely democratic and constitutional one. The current regime in Thailand is not and that's why the protesters are calling for reforms not abolishment. But as time goes by, it seems like those in powers never learn from the history at all, of how this kind of repugnant attitude and denial would finally paving way for something beyond compromise when breaking point is reached.

It's not that they are supportive of monarchy, they are being reasonable and compromising.

Supportive of the monarchy and supportive of the monarch is 2 different things.. You can like the monarchy as institution without necessarily having to like the person occupying the throne at the moment...The protesters in Thailand clearly wants to live in a constitutional monarchy like the monarchies in Europe where the royals are under the law and not above it.

It breaks my heart to see the Thai monarchy so carefully taken care of and developed for 70 years under King Bhumibol’s skillfull leadership - being totally ruined by his son... Not that i didn’t saw it coming. Vajiralongkorn have always been like this. But a small part of me hoped that he would take some responsibility when he came to the throne. Not ruling from Germany while he is romping in the hotel bed with his ”Royal Noble Consort”...

Last edited:
Supportive of the monarchy and supportive of the monarch is 2 different things.. You can like the monarchy as institution without necessarily having to like the person occupying the throne at the moment...The protesters in Thailand clearly wants to live in a constitutional monarchy like the monarchies in Europe where the royals are under the law and not above it.

It breaks my heart to see the Thai monarchy so carefully taken care of and developed for 70 years under King Bhumibol’s skillfull leadership - being totally ruined by his son... Not that i didn’t saw it coming. Vajiralongkorn have always been like this. But a small part of me hoped that he would take some responsibility when he came to the throne. Not ruling from Germany while he is romping in the hotel bed with his ”Royal Noble Consort”...

Among monarchical critic circle, you'll be categorized as Neo-Salim, they aren't protest because of Rama X behavior, they protest against the establishment itself. Topics discussed among the circle are ways beyond Rama X.

No, they aren't protesting the king's behaviors but his behaviors are the catalyses that inciting these protests, especially now when the country is enduring hardships from coronavirus pandemic. If they were outright republicans, we wouldn't have seen such a smooth transition between the two reigns, elaborate funeral for the old king or lavish coronation for the new king happening. There would have been troubles, protests or chaos right from the beginning when King Bhumibol dies. Watch the video that I posted ealier and hear what their leader got to say about the monarchy and you'll see why I called them being 'supportive of the monarchy'.

These protesters were not compromising but genuinely wanted to see reforms that make Thai monarchy works like any other constitutional monarchies in developed countries. Read what were their demands, stance and dream and you'll find so little republican elements in it, not even a referendum. It's all about fundamental changes leading the monarchy to be renewed and reshaped to match social norms and values of the 21st century. Calls for republic went trending just because people were angry from being rejected and cornered which left them with no choices but to turn to something that has not been called from day one.

No, they aren't protesting the king's behaviors but his behaviors are the catalyses that inciting these protests, especially now when the country is enduring hardships from coronavirus pandemic. If they were outright republicans, we wouldn't have seen such a smooth transition between the two reigns, elaborate funeral for the old king or lavish coronation for the new king happening. There would have been troubles, protests or chaos right from the beginning when King Bhumibol dies. Watch the video that I posted ealier and hear what their leader got to say about the monarchy and you'll see why I called them being 'supportive of the monarchy'.

These protesters were not compromising but genuinely wanted to see reforms that make Thai monarchy works like any other constitutional monarchies in developed countries. Read what were their demands, stance and dream and you'll find so little republican elements in it, not even a referendum. It's all about fundamental changes leading the monarchy to be renewed and reshaped to match social norms and values of the 21st century. Calls for republic went trending just because people were angry from being rejected and cornered which left them with no choices but to turn to something that has not been called from day one.

They aren't really support monarchy, they won't have problem with abolition either, but they know that this country comprise of many people that still love monarchy, that why they are okay with it, as long as it doesn't involve with politic. In the meantime the rabid royalist is saying that protesters are scum because they are gays and lesbians.

Last edited:
New development today, yet again, unprecedented:

Never before a Thai king is to witness popular protest against his own establishment or being closely confronted by his people like today.

The protestors were chanting "release our friends" to the king's royal motorcade as it proceeding to the Grand Palace. This was a result of many leaders of Thai Youth Movement being hold up by authority earlier today, causing anger among the peaceful protesters. #กษัตริย์ขยะสังคม (Waste-of-Society King) also trends on Twitter today.

Tomorrow will see probably another confrontation as the king and his family having a schedule at the Grand Palace (The Royal Kathin Ceremony) while major demonstration has also been called near the site as well.

Last edited:
Looks like things are really complicated in Thailand. I hope everything is resolved peacefully.

Looks like things are really complicated in Thailand. I hope everything is resolved peacefully.

I agree, things do look quite complicated.

Really looking like hte present King shoudl abdicate or the monarchy should end....

Back
Top Bottom