The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2020, 03:30 AM
Gentry

Here is an editorial on the criticism faced by the King of Thailand over his decision to do his self-quarantine abroad while Thailand is in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 AM
Majesty

Protests break out at German hotel where Thai King is staying with his harem.
https://royalcentral.co.uk/asia/thai...-harem-142150/

Old 05-08-2020, 07:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Protests break out at German hotel where Thai King is staying with his harem.
https://royalcentral.co.uk/asia/thai...-harem-142150/
There's also a donation drive from one of the organizers of the protests against the King of Thailand.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:56 AM
Nobility

This expression is something else. Look at number of likes and retweets:

https://twitter.com/zenjournalist/st...152484864?s=20
Old 05-09-2020, 02:48 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleich View Post
This expression is something else. Look at number of likes and retweets:

https://twitter.com/zenjournalist/st...152484864?s=20
I've translated the replies to that tweet via Google Translate and found something along the lines of "The Germans don't love dad, he should go home." (in Thai, the said reply originally goes as "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊!!"). Now, I don't know if the King being referred to as "dad" in that Tweet is a translation error on Google Translate's part (mind you, Google Translate is known to be inaccurate in translating Thai into English) or if Thais actually refer to him as such to reflect his status as the father of the nation (you know, like how other countries call their Head of State the mother/father of their nation).
Old 05-09-2020, 03:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

The fact that the King can simply stay outside his country during a profound crisis shows his total irrelevance. He is King yes. But the country goes on, without him. "Bye bye, King". Maybe the country is even better run without the disturbing and time - consuming presence of the King.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:46 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriaalix View Post
I've translated the replies to that tweet via Google Translate and found something along the lines of "The Germans don't love dad, he should go home." (in Thai, the said reply originally goes as "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊!!"). Now, I don't know if the King being referred to as "dad" in that Tweet is a translation error on Google Translate's part (mind you, Google Translate is known to be inaccurate in translating Thai into English) or if Thais actually refer to him as such to reflect his status as the father of the nation (you know, like how other countries call their Head of State the mother/father of their nation).
Yes, it's him. King and Queen are commonly regarded as 'พ่อหลวง' (Royal father) and 'แม่หลวง' (Royal mohter) in signifying the national status of the monarch and his consort.

The sentence "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊" should be translated as "If the Germans don't love dad, they should leave dad's country". This is some kind of sarcasm in response to the ultraroyalists who usually bring up the same kind of sentence to attack critics of the king (especially during King Bhumibol's reign) and repel them to go exile. The logic behind this kind of attack is that if one doesn't have affection nor loyalty to the nation's 'father', then one should leave his country and live eleswhere. This links to one of Thailand's cultural bits since kings are regarded as 'พระเจ้าแผ่นดิน' or 'Lord of the land' or 'Lord who owns the land'.

Younger genarations also widely use the term 'dad' as a reference to specific Chakri kings such as 'พ่อหก' or 'Dad 6' in reference to King Rama VI as well.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:00 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleich View Post
Yes, it's him. King and Queen are commonly regarded as 'พ่อหลวง' (Royal father) and 'แม่หลวง' (Royal mohter) in signifying the national status of the monarch and his consort.

The sentence "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊" should be translated as "If the Germans don't love dad, they should leave dad's country". This is some kind of sarcasm in response to the ultraroyalists who usually bring up the same kind of sentence to attack critics of the king (especially during King Bhumibol's reign) and repel them to go exile. The logic behind this kind of attack is that if one doesn't have affection nor loyalty to the nation's 'father', then one should leave his country and live eleswhere. This links to one of Thailand's cultural bits since kings are regarded as 'พระเจ้าแผ่นดิน' or 'Lord of the land' or 'Lord who owns the land'.

Younger genarations also widely use the term 'dad' as a reference to specific Chakri kings such as 'พ่อหก' or 'Dad 6' in reference to King Rama VI as well.
Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification!

The protests v. the King were also carried out at the Thai Embassy in Germany.

There's yet another editorial, this time from New York Times, about why Thais have been losing faith over their monarchy. How accurate do you think is the editorial in encapsulating how people in Thailand feel about the King?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:43 AM
Gentry

A recent article claims that even King Maha Vajiralongkorn's son has been subject to the ire of people in Thailand. I wouldn't know if the child being subjected to the ire of the people also stems from the current status of the Thai Monarchy's popularity. Given that, the future of the monarchy might be more in danger than we think it is as even the heir is on the receiving end of insults.

On another note, it's unfair that Dipangkorn is being subjected to insults at such a young age. It's not his fault that his father isn't running Thailand properly so why insult him as well?
Old 05-30-2020, 10:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification!

The protests v. the King were also carried out at the Thai Embassy in Germany.

There's yet another editorial, this time from New York Times, about why Thais have been losing faith over their monarchy. How accurate do you think is the editorial in encapsulating how people in Thailand feel about the King?
I'm saying this based on my perspective. Others might have a different view than this:

It is couldn't be more true. Thai monarchy at the beginning of King Bhumibol's reign was very weak and played a very little role in Thai society as it narrowly escaped its demise in 1932, undermined with young king Ananda who's born and live aboard all his life and years of fascist rule similar to that of Mussolini's. King Bhumibol, over the years, with helps from the military and United States, gradually rebuilt and re-established (Thai scholars refer it as 'restoration') the monarchy's status in modern-day Thailand. The monarchy became so popular that it elevated his status to a semi-divine being, a huge contrast to the current king. People generally feel like they've been pushed off a cliff when asked of feeling they have for the institution these days.

Quote:
A recent article claims that even King Maha Vajiralongkorn's son has been subject to the ire of people in Thailand. I wouldn't know if the child being subjected to the ire of the people also stems from the current status of the Thai Monarchy's popularity. Given that, the future of the monarchy might be more in danger than we think it is as even the heir is on the receiving end of insults.

On another note, it's unfair that Dipangkorn is being subjected to insults at such a young age. It's not his fault that his father isn't running Thailand properly so why insult him as well?
Based on what I've seen, there is no attack on the prince, not even on social medias. People don't see him as subjected to being the ire of the people. He is instead be seen as a poor prince separated from his mother with something 'different' about him than other kids of his age.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 PM
Nobility

Young Thais call for a reform on Monarchy:
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Majesty

This king is very controversial. And it seems that people don't like him. Can he not abdicate for his sister or one of his children to replace him?
Old 08-12-2020, 12:31 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post

This king is very controversial. And it seems that people don't like him. Can he not abdicate for his sister or one of his children to replace him?

I don't think that he even wants to do that. And junta hardly want shake monarchy trying to do that. So either we have just wait that the king dies from old age or then he is ousted on revolution.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:27 AM
Nobility

He was unpopular long before his father died in 2016. If he didn't really wish to reign he wouldn't have ascended the throne in the first place. So, in my oppinion, abdication is very unlikely.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:40 AM
Royal Highness

He certainly doesn't seem to be the type to abdicate in favour of anyone else, unless there's another coup that forces him out. Somehow even if it happened I think it would still end with him holed up in a hotel with a lot of money and a harem.

His son is only 15 years old, there seems to have been some movement on making his daughter is heir at one point, especially when she was rumoured to be engaged, but that obviously hasn't happened.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:41 AM
Nobility

Old 08-16-2020, 10:51 PM
Majesty

For king and country: A group of royalist supporters hold framed pictures of members of the royal family as they rally outside parliament and call on the government to protect the institution on Monday.
https://static.bangkokpost.com/media...0811110633.jpg

Anti-government protesters were on Monday warned to avoid involving the monarchy in political conflict even as rallies by both royalists and their opponents ended without incident.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...rchy-out-of-it
Old 08-16-2020, 10:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedrich Karl II View Post
I don't think that he even wants to do that. And junta hardly want shake monarchy trying to do that. So either we have just wait that the king dies from old age or then he is ousted on revolution.
I think the only way he goes is if the junta tires of him...
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 PM
Nobility

Old 08-23-2020, 07:17 AM
Nobility

"We have goals, demands and a dream. Our dream is to have a country that is ruled by a true constitutional monarchy like England, Japan, Denmark or Norway where the monarchy is under the constitution and the highest power belongs to the people" one of the students said.

Tags
future, popularity, thai royal family, thailand