Future and Popularity of the Thai Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Appleich

Nobility
City
Bangkok
Country
Thailand
I think it's about time to report unprecedented trends emerging in Thai society lately which directly relevant to the future of Thai monarchy. Though, these have never been publicly reported nor discussed on conventional media platforms, as you might expected, the trends have been going on for quite sometime now and can be traced back as early as October 2019 just before the Royal Noble Consort drama was rocking the nation.

October 1, 2019

#ขบวนเสด็จ or #royalmotorcade abruptly emerged on Twitter in Thailand and was on number 1 trending with 99k tweets after number of pictures posted on the platform showing many commuters waiting around Victory Monument area, Bangkok's major transit hub, clueless of what was going on. Later, it became apparent that there was a royal motorcade passing the area and everything forcibly had to be closed even the train service was disrupted. However, there was no specific report of whose motorcade it was. This incident caused a huge stir on Twitter as many complained that it unnecessarily causes difficulties to commuters with replying tweets showing angers and discontents.

Only Prachathai website that formally reported this incident: https://translate.google.co.th/tran...u=https://prachatai.com/journal/2019/10/84568 (translated)

December 12, 2019

Soon after Royal Barge Procession Ceremony ended, #ขบวนเสด็จ became trending on Twitter once again as pictures showing both local and foreign tourists waiting in long lines at ferry piers at Ko Lan pier, Bali Hai Pier (Pattaya) and Phra Samut Chedi pier surfaced. It was later revealed that the King was on his way to inspect and receive his new yacht AZIMUT 77S in Samut Prakarn Province in which Marine Department decided to declare all maritime transportation in the area suspended. There was also a picture showing pedestrians were sitting on the ground as instructed by police officers along Sukhumvit road in Samut Prakarn as a royal motorcade was about the pass the area. Again, Thailand's Twitter was on fire that evening with the the hashtag #ขบวนเสด็จ on number 1 trending.

Prachatai also reported this incident as well: https://translate.google.co.th/tran...u=https://prachatai.com/journal/2019/12/85528 (translated)

Since these two incidents, more criticizing tweets to the monarchy can be found on Twitter consistently in various topics from past to present, mostly around the King's personalities and behaviors and King Bhumibol's reign which was characterized by many military interventions and undemocratic changes (mostly comprised of left-wing activists, supporters of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and younger generations of Thais who view these kind of things are outdated, senseless and unacceptable to modern societies). Combining with unpopularity of the current administration of a general-turned-politician Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha who suspiciously won the general election in March 2019, discontents to the monarchy has never been more apparent (it is becoming more and more believable that the current prime minister and government was hand-picked by someone with great power and authority).

For example, this tweet from Somsak Jeamteerasakul, a critics of Thai monarchy now living in exile in Paris, with a caption "ไม่ได้ดั่งใจเลย" or "[This is] not how I wished for", showing a video clip of the King mumbling something sounds similarly to the phase "ไม่ได้ดั่งใจเลย" shortly before embarking on a royal barge during the Royal Barge Procession Ceremony, went viral. Many negative comments then followed as it was being pointed out that this ceremony, which took months in preparations, got so many people involved and spent in huge amount of taxpayer's money, was completely a waste.

and then this latest development...

January 1, 2020

A new hashtag #ปิดเกาะ or #Islandclosed emerged on Twitter's number 1 trending in Thailand after it has been reported that Princess Sirivannavari will be on a private trip with her friends to Krabi Province in Southern Thailand, where tourists flock to the area during this high season, and authority needs to close some roads and tourist attractions. Again this cause a huge stir on Twitter as people are questioning whether it is justified to close public attractions for a royal family's private visit. Though, there was no official report nor announcement to close those attractions, the stir continues as an Instagram Story clip emerged, showing the Princess releasing a turtle to the sea while one of her entourage, probably a palace official or servant, prostrating behind her and the turtle. People on Twitter then question the action as it deemed unnecessary and disturbing in the 21st-century world.

Prachatai has an article on this as well: https://translate.google.co.th/tran...u=https://prachatai.com/journal/2020/01/85743 (translated)

Now, there are many tweets and discussions regarding the monarchy and more questioning whether its existence will be worthwhile anymore. This is also a time when republicans are out from the closet and jump on this anti-monarchist trend. One Twitter user even sharing a Facebook post which reads:
"อยากจบแบบไหน

- ยิงกราดแบบรัสเซีย
- กิโยติน ตัดหัว เหมือนฝรั่งเศส
- ลี้ภัย เหมือนเยอรมัน
- ทำประชามติ เหมือนกรีซ
- ยึดอำนาจ ไล่ออกอยู่ประเทศเพื่อนบ้านเหมือนลาว"
which can be translated as:
"How [you] like it to end

- firing (massacre) like the Russian's
- Guillotine decapitation (execution) like the French's
- Go into exile like the German's
- A referendum like the Greek's
- A coup d'etat and exile to neighboring country like the Laos'"
which got, at the time of this post, 9.5k retweets.

This is not something that I didn't anticipate. Just the trend begins sooner than I've thought, considering it has only been less than a year since the coronation of the new king as rightful monarch of this country.

:previous:

Thank you very much for conveying this important news in such detail.

I wonder if the king is taking note of these events, and what his reaction will be. I hope the people of Thailand will not be further harmed.

From what I know the previous King was popular and highly respected by the people.
Is the current King popular?
I agree that the monarchy must modernize in some things and must maintain some traditions. But the Royal Family also has to respect people and respect the institution.

From what I know the previous King was popular and highly respected by the people.
I agree that the monarchy must modernize in some things and must maintain some traditions. But the Royal Family also has to respect people and respect the institution.

Agree that Thai monarchy should modernise and generally whole country should modernise too. At least firstly free and fair elections. But that hardly happen very soon.

:previous:

Thank you very much for conveying this important news in such detail.

I wonder if the king is taking note of these events, and what his reaction will be. I hope the people of Thailand will not be further harmed.
You're welcomed. It could be said that this is a "ruling-with-an-iron-fist" kind of reign so he probably won't care as long as he keeping a tight grip on powers.
You’re right, the former King was vastly revered but this King is not.

I forgot to mention the incident back in March 2019 when one of the Thaksin-clan parties participating in the election announced Princess Ubolratana as its prime-ministerial candidate and the King issued a royal command prohibiting the princess to get involve. The royal command also included a statement that urge people to choose "good people" in the election. The statement was received with a backlash on Twitter with #โตแล้วเลือกเองได้ or #OldEnoughtoChoseByMyself on number 1 trending.

All of these royal backlashes on Twitter is summarized in this article by The Straits Times:

Thais turn to Twitter to criticise royalty

Last edited:
There's a report from last April 18th that the King of Thailand flew all the way from Germany back to Thailand just to attend a dinner. According to the report, it has caused outrage although the report does not report which groups of people were outraged by it. His actual return to Thailand didn't take place on April 18th by the way, the earliest report about it came out on April 9th.

Other outlets which had reported about it include DailyMail, New York Post and Evening Standard to name a few.

How is it possible that such a precise, prudent and ascetic King as Bhumibol has such a loose cannon as successor... It is the best plea for abolition of a hereditary head of state...

Last edited:
I think this King has no notion of the things he does, he can only.
King Bhumibol was so loved by the people, and the current king will never be.
I will never understand the attitudes of the current king.
I find it difficult to abolish this monarchy, because it seems that it is very protected by law and the state....

Can Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti succeed his father when he turns 18?

I think this King has no notion of the things he does, he can only.
King Bhumibol was so loved by the people, and the current king will never be.
I will never understand the attitudes of the current king.
I find it difficult to abolish this monarchy, because it seems that it is very protected by law and the state....

Can Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti succeed his father when he turns 18?

The argument for many monarchists is that in a monarchy there is stability, always a well-prepared heir, eye for continuity of the institution. Throw all these arguments out of the window, with this King and his Field-Marshall Poodle, his Official Concubine and his "confinement" in the Bavarian Alps...

:ohmy:

The argument for many monarchists is that in a monarchy there is stability, always a well-prepared heir, eye for continuity of the institution. Throw all these arguments out of the window, with this King and his Field-Marshall Poodle, his Official Concubine and his "confinement" in the Bavarian Alps...

:ohmy:

Duc_et_Pair we cannot compare any European monarchy (and even some monarchies outside Europe) with the monarchy of Thailand.
The monarchies of Europe are modern.
The monarchy of Thailand has completely different traditions and above all customs.
There's no comparison possible.

Duc_et_Pair we cannot compare any European monarchy (and even some monarchies outside Europe) with the monarchy of Thailand.
The monarchies of Europe are modern.
The monarchy of Thailand has completely different traditions and above all customs.
There's no comparison possible.

To play devil's advocate: a monarchy is a monarchy. The Thai King is there, purely because he is the eldest son of the previous Thai King, no any other qualification required.

Zero difference with Felipe, Philippe or Willem-Alexander. Bright lights or dumb idiots? Does not matter. They will be King. Sofía is more intelligent than Leonor? Does not matter, Leonor will be Queen. Etc. In essence no difference between Thailand and Europe.

To play devil's advocate: a monarchy is a monarchy. The Thai King is there, purely because he is the eldest son of the previous Thai King, no any other qualification required.

Zero difference with Felipe, Philippe or Willem-Alexander. Bright lights or dumb idiots? Does not matter. They will be King. Sofía is more intelligent than Leonor? Does not matter, Leonor will be Queen. Etc. In essence no difference between Thailand and Europe.

I'm sorry, but there's a big difference. One cannot compare the monarchy of Thailand or Saudi Arabia with the monarchies of Spain, Denmark, Norway or any other monarchy in Europe.
Just like we can't compare the republics. We cannot compare the republics of Portugal, Germany, France or Finland with North Korea, China or Venezuela. These are completely different circumstances and realities. There is no comparison possible.

I'm sorry, but there's a big difference. One cannot compare the monarchy of Thailand or Saudi Arabia with the monarchies of Spain, Denmark, Norway or any other monarchy in Europe.
Just like we can't compare the republics. We cannot compare the republics of Portugal, Germany, France or Finland with North Korea, China or Venezuela. These are completely different circumstances and realities. There is no comparison possible.

tehere is a massive difference between a constitutional monarchy and an absolute or autocratic one...

I feel my point is not understood. The mechanism of someone being head of state, purely by birthright and without any other requirement, does not differ in Thailand from the European monarchies.

With this King the popular argument of monarchists that their system offers stability, well-prepared heads-of-state, etc. is in shatters.

By the way: Thailand is no absolutist monarchy. The King has as much room as the generals leave him. He better keeps Greece in mind where the military finally ousted King Constantine. Or, closer to home: Cambodia, Nepal and Iran.

That is also possible in an European country like the Netherlands:

Article 30

1) A successor to the Throne may be appointed by Act of Parliament. The Bill is presented by or on behalf of The King, upon which the Chambers are dissolved. The newly convened Chambers discuss and decide upon the King's proposal in joint session. Such a Bill is passed only if at least two-thirds of the votes cast are in favour.

In theory King Willem-Alexander can propose Georg-Friedrich von Preußen to be his successor...

Last edited:
That is also possible in an European country like the Netherlands:

Article 30

1) A successor to the Throne may be appointed by Act of Parliament. The Bill is presented by or on behalf of The King, upon which the Chambers are dissolved. The newly convened Chambers discuss and decide upon the King's proposal in joint session. Such a Bill is passed only if at least two-thirds of the votes cast are in favour.

In theory King Willem-Alexander can propose Georg-Friedrich von Preußen to be his successor...

But then he need the approval of the Parliament which the Thai King doesn't need.

Here is an editorial on the criticism faced by the King of Thailand over his decision to do his self-quarantine abroad while Thailand is in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This expression is something else. Look at number of likes and retweets:

I've translated the replies to that tweet via Google Translate and found something along the lines of "The Germans don't love dad, he should go home." (in Thai, the said reply originally goes as "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊!!"). Now, I don't know if the King being referred to as "dad" in that Tweet is a translation error on Google Translate's part (mind you, Google Translate is known to be inaccurate in translating Thai into English) or if Thais actually refer to him as such to reflect his status as the father of the nation (you know, like how other countries call their Head of State the mother/father of their nation).

The fact that the King can simply stay outside his country during a profound crisis shows his total irrelevance. He is King yes. But the country goes on, without him. "Bye bye, King". Maybe the country is even better run without the disturbing and time - consuming presence of the King.

I've translated the replies to that tweet via Google Translate and found something along the lines of "The Germans don't love dad, he should go home." (in Thai, the said reply originally goes as "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊!!"). Now, I don't know if the King being referred to as "dad" in that Tweet is a translation error on Google Translate's part (mind you, Google Translate is known to be inaccurate in translating Thai into English) or if Thais actually refer to him as such to reflect his status as the father of the nation (you know, like how other countries call their Head of State the mother/father of their nation).

Yes, it's him. King and Queen are commonly regarded as 'พ่อหลวง' (Royal father) and 'แม่หลวง' (Royal mohter) in signifying the national status of the monarch and his consort.

The sentence "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊" should be translated as "If the Germans don't love dad, they should leave dad's country". This is some kind of sarcasm in response to the ultraroyalists who usually bring up the same kind of sentence to attack critics of the king (especially during King Bhumibol's reign) and repel them to go exile. The logic behind this kind of attack is that if one doesn't have affection nor loyalty to the nation's 'father', then one should leave his country and live eleswhere. This links to one of Thailand's cultural bits since kings are regarded as 'พระเจ้าแผ่นดิน' or 'Lord of the land' or 'Lord who owns the land'.

Younger genarations also widely use the term 'dad' as a reference to specific Chakri kings such as 'พ่อหก' or 'Dad 6' in reference to King Rama VI as well.

Yes, it's him. King and Queen are commonly regarded as 'พ่อหลวง' (Royal father) and 'แม่หลวง' (Royal mohter) in signifying the national status of the monarch and his consort.

The sentence "ประชาชนชาวเยอรมันไม่รักพ่อก็ออกจากประเทศพ่อไป๊" should be translated as "If the Germans don't love dad, they should leave dad's country". This is some kind of sarcasm in response to the ultraroyalists who usually bring up the same kind of sentence to attack critics of the king (especially during King Bhumibol's reign) and repel them to go exile. The logic behind this kind of attack is that if one doesn't have affection nor loyalty to the nation's 'father', then one should leave his country and live eleswhere. This links to one of Thailand's cultural bits since kings are regarded as 'พระเจ้าแผ่นดิน' or 'Lord of the land' or 'Lord who owns the land'.

Younger genarations also widely use the term 'dad' as a reference to specific Chakri kings such as 'พ่อหก' or 'Dad 6' in reference to King Rama VI as well.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification!

The protests v. the King were also carried out at the Thai Embassy in Germany.

There's yet another editorial, this time from New York Times, about why Thais have been losing faith over their monarchy. How accurate do you think is the editorial in encapsulating how people in Thailand feel about the King?

Last edited:
A recent article claims that even King Maha Vajiralongkorn's son has been subject to the ire of people in Thailand. I wouldn't know if the child being subjected to the ire of the people also stems from the current status of the Thai Monarchy's popularity. Given that, the future of the monarchy might be more in danger than we think it is as even the heir is on the receiving end of insults.

On another note, it's unfair that Dipangkorn is being subjected to insults at such a young age. It's not his fault that his father isn't running Thailand properly so why insult him as well?

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification!

The protests v. the King were also carried out at the Thai Embassy in Germany.

There's yet another editorial, this time from New York Times, about why Thais have been losing faith over their monarchy. How accurate do you think is the editorial in encapsulating how people in Thailand feel about the King?

I'm saying this based on my perspective. Others might have a different view than this:

It is couldn't be more true. Thai monarchy at the beginning of King Bhumibol's reign was very weak and played a very little role in Thai society as it narrowly escaped its demise in 1932, undermined with young king Ananda who's born and live aboard all his life and years of fascist rule similar to that of Mussolini's. King Bhumibol, over the years, with helps from the military and United States, gradually rebuilt and re-established (Thai scholars refer it as 'restoration') the monarchy's status in modern-day Thailand. The monarchy became so popular that it elevated his status to a semi-divine being, a huge contrast to the current king. People generally feel like they've been pushed off a cliff when asked of feeling they have for the institution these days.

A recent article claims that even King Maha Vajiralongkorn's son has been subject to the ire of people in Thailand. I wouldn't know if the child being subjected to the ire of the people also stems from the current status of the Thai Monarchy's popularity. Given that, the future of the monarchy might be more in danger than we think it is as even the heir is on the receiving end of insults.

On another note, it's unfair that Dipangkorn is being subjected to insults at such a young age. It's not his fault that his father isn't running Thailand properly so why insult him as well?
Based on what I've seen, there is no attack on the prince, not even on social medias. People don't see him as subjected to being the ire of the people. He is instead be seen as a poor prince separated from his mother with something 'different' about him than other kids of his age.

Back
Top Bottom