Dutch State Visit to Thailand: January 19-23, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxPatrickxx

Nobility
City
Rotterdam
Country
Netherlands
19 Januari is the State visit in Thailand. Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander are going to Thailand, Princess Máxima are don't join Beatrix and Alexander at the state visit, she stay with Amalia.
The Queen and her son remain 5 days in Thailand.

The program:

Monday 19 Januari: Bangkok
Tuesday 20 Januari: Bangkok / Ayutthaya
Wednesday 21 Januari: Bangkok / Kanchanaburi
Thursday 22 Januari: Bangkok / Chiang Rai
Fryday 23 Januaru: Chiang Rai / Sukhothai

Today, saterday 17 januari are Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander arrived in Thailand, monday they begin on the state visit.

Message from the Princess Maxima Messageboard:

Hello
Posted by Thai woman on 1/16/2004, 5:05 pm

In the news, it wrote that Q. Holland made 40 new silk dresses. The silk is made from Thai, but the dressmaker is a Dutch woman (Ms.Sheila De Vries). She used 10 weeks (6 months) to finish all 40 dress for her Queen. The Queen makes the design by herself.
The place that Queen will visite is Temple, Holland Village, World War 2 brige (thai-japan), War Funeral.

The pic. of a Dutch dressmaker: http://www.thairath.co.th/thairath1/2547/s...jan/14/soc2.php

The new dress that QB will wear : (click on the picture)
http://www.manager.co.th/Calendar/Showgall...D=4764428297280

i cant wait see pictures!

i know that its hard for Maxima to leave her baby on state trip but she stay home with baby.

like mother and sons you know that!

Sara Boyce

When you want to see the pictures, you have to go to the links. :D

Thanks for the info's.

Hoping to see the pictures of Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander.
I know that they would surely enjoy their visit to Thailand. Such an exotic and beautiful country.

Bangkok, Thailand, Pic: ANP

13421-a.jpg

Queen Beatrix

Attachments

• 6647_1_.jpg
    6647_1_.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,051
Speech by Queen Beatrix in Thailand

Your Majesty,
It gives my son and me great pleasure to be here in your country. We both retain very pleasant memories of earlier trips. Alexander was here in nineteen eighty-seven, and I myself was a guest in Thailand over forty years ago, when I also witnessed the unforgettable Loy Krathong festival. In nineteen sixty-three, I was able to accompany my parents during their visit to your country. In nineteen sixty you and Queen Sirikit made a State visit to the Netherlands which many people still remember so well and in later years we were happy to welcome nearly all your children. They followed in the footsteps of Prince Damrong, who visited our country in nineteen thirty, and King Chulalungkorn, who travelled to the Netherlands as long ago as eighteen ninety-seven and met both my grandmother and my great-grandmother. All these events illustrate the close ties that have linked our families for such a long time.

The ties of friendship between our two countries date back further still. Indeed, this year we celebrate four centuries of Thai-Dutch relations. The first official contact, in 1604, stemmed from the desire of our newly established and ambitious Dutch East India Company or VOC, which was already active in various parts of Asia, to establish links with great and powerful China. To achieve this aim, a plan was devised together with merchants from Ayutthaya to allow the Dutch to travel along with the annual mission of a Siamese delegation to the Forbidden City. In the end, this plan came to nothing, but it was nevertheless of great historical significance because it constituted the first official contacts between our two countries.

Shortly afterwards, the King of Siam decided to send an official delegation to the Netherlands. This delegation had a rather unusual mission: to find out whether the Netherlands really existed. For wicked tongues had spread the rumour that the Dutch were merely pirates who lived on a number of islands in the northern seas. The delegation arrived safely in our country, presented a letter from the King to the Stadholder, Prince Maurits, and visited a number of Dutch cities and VOC chambers. The existence of our country thus seems to have been adequately proved, for it was never questioned again. Our mutual relations subsequently flourished. In 1608 , the Dutch received permission to build a factory in the royal capital, Ayutthaya. Regrettably, little of this has been preserved, but the memory is kept alive by the slipway on the site of the old VOC shipyard which we hope to visit during our stay. Here the Hollanders repaired their ships, which the Siamese, incidentally, found heavy and unmanageable. The elegant vessels in which the King of Siam made ceremonial tours, on the other hand, were much admired by the Dutch.

The VOC saw various commercial opportunities in Siam, for both the trade between Europe and Asia and that between the countries of Asia. For example, it obtained a monopoly on the export of deer hides and ray skins to Japan. Another remarkable activity was the trade in elephants. These animals, which still hold a special place in the hearts of your compatriots, were shipped in large numbers by Dutch merchants to various parts of Asia.

After the revolution of sixteen eighty-eight, the Dutch were the only Europeans allowed to remain in Ayutthaya, which considerably strengthened their position. Trade continued to be an important element in our relations, but certainly not the only one. Like many other peoples, the Dutch were much impressed by the wealth of your country and the beauty and elegance of its inhabitants. Not only the beautiful ships and mighty elephants, but also the cities and temples, processions and ceremonial voyages were observed with great admiration. In their reports and correspondence, the Dutch provided detailed descriptions of the riches and refinement of this ‘land of milk and honey’. These documents remain an important source for our knowledge of seventeenth-century and eighteenth-century Thailand, and Thai students come to study them in the Dutch archives.

When large parts of Asia came under European control in the nineteenth century, the Thai kings managed to preserve their country’s independence. They not only proved themselves to be skilled statesmen on the international stage, but also introduced major reforms in the political, administrative and economic fields. Their goal was modernisation following the European example, but European models were only adopted after careful selection, consideration and adaptation to the domestic situation. Thailand became a modern state with a modern constitution. The monument commemorating Thailand’s first constitution is evidence of the high esteem in which this institution is held in your country.

Thailand has also developed rapidly in the economic field, particularly in agriculture. In the nineteenth century your country even became a major exporter of rice. The economy has continued to grow at an even faster rate over the last few decades. Prosperity has increased substantially and the infrastructure has been improved. Thailand is no longer only a major exporter of the highly popular Thai rice and other agricultural produce, but your industrial products have also found their way in ever-increasing numbers on to the world market, including the Netherlands.

Rapid modernisation and industrialisation always entail a risk of damage to the natural environment. Your country and your government have tackled this problem with vigour and energy. In particular, by developing small-scale, environmentally friendly agriculture, Thailand sets an important example. Your great personal commitment to this process, through the ‘King’s projects’, is well known. We are looking forward to seeing something of this in the days to come.

You, Your Majesty, are intensely interested not only in economy, but in politics as well. The stable parliamentary democracy that has been established here - with your support - is now a model for the region. As a result, many people in and outside your country hold you in high esteem. When in nineteen ninety-seven Thailand was engulfed in the terrible economic crisis that afflicted the whole of Asia, it wrested itself free of the consequences with admirable diligence and strength and rapidly paid off its foreign debt. The pursuit of a strict financial policy - a long-standing Thai tradition - has helped your country always to maintain its political and financial independence. All in all, it will surprise no-one that Thailand plays a significant role in Asia and the world at large.

It also plays a leading role within ASEAN, and has often proved willing to help and support its neighbours. Furthermore, your country has made impressive efforts for several decades to shelter many thousands of refugees from neighbouring countries. This is a sign of the same profound sense of responsibility vis-à-vis the international community that is also reflected in Thailand’s participation in UN peace operations and in the hospitality that is always offered here to international organisations.

Your Majesty,

Our bilateral relations began on a modest scale four hundred years ago. Over the centuries, they have expanded from simple trading links to a complex network of contacts and a lively exchange of persons, goods and ideas. Like our seventeenth-century ancestors, many of our compatriots today are under the spell of this beautiful country and its ancient civilisation. I will be happy if this State visit could further strengthen the relations we have maintained already for four hundred years.

May I ask all those present to raise their glasses and join me in a toast to Your Majesty’s health, to that of Queen Sirikit and the other members of your family, and to a bright future for the people of Thailand.

from expatica:

19 January 2004
AMSTERDAM — Amid ongoing concern for Dutch prisoners in Thailand and diplomatic efforts aimed at achieving an extradition treaty, Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander arrived in the South-East Asian nation on Monday for a five-day State visit.

The Queen and her eldest son arrived on a royal charter jet KBX at the Don Muang royal air force base, near the Thai capital Bangkok. The royals were given a ceremonial welcome by Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, news agency ANP reported.

The state visit comes as the Dutch ambassador to Thailand dismissed criticism that not enough was being done to help Dutch prisoners in Thai jails. Inmates receive a monthly visit and are also provided with medical care, the diplomat said.

The plight of Dutch prisoners in Thai jails has been the subject of much debate in recent months as diplomatic negotiations continue between the Dutch and Thai governments.

There are 15 Dutch nationals in Thai prisons — most of whom are being detained for drugs crimes — and it is hoped that a treaty between the two nations will be signed in the near future, allowing them to serve out the remainder of their sentence in a Dutch institution.

The most well-known Dutch prisoner in Thailand is Machiel Kuijt, who lodged a last ditch appeal for freedom late last year after he was convicted on appeal and sentenced to life in prison on drugs charges.

Kuijt was not carrying drugs at the time of his 1997 arrest and was acquitted in March 2002 of allegations he was involved in the heroin trade. He remained in prison, however, to await the prosecution's appeal and Thai authorities claimed new evidence warranted his recent conviction and life sentence.

Amnesty International said in November 2003 that despite "progress in the protection of human rights, abuses in the (Thai) criminal justice system have persisted. These include torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment in pre-trial detention and in the prison system".

Dutch Foreign Minister Ben Bot is thus part of the delegation visiting Thailand this week and will hold talks on Thursday with his Thai counterpart in the hope of reaching an extradition treaty, Radio Netherlands reported.

But a spokesperson for the minister said there was still a lot of work to be done before a treaty could be reached. Legal matters must still be discussed, such as the difference in Thai and Dutch prison sentences. A treaty is not expected to be reached before the end of the visit.

Meanwhile, Queen Beatrix and Prince Willem-Alexander were scheduled to enter private talks with the Thai King and Queen Sirikit later on Monday. They were also expected to visit the famed Temple of the Emerald Buddha and engage in a state dinner in the royal palace.

The visit comes as Dutch and Thai officials observe the 400-year anniversary of relations. The first contact between both nations occurred in 1604, when representatives from the Dutch East India Company (VOC) were officially invited for a visit by the King of Siam.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej, the world's longest serving monarch, visited the Netherlands in 1960, while Queen Juliana visited Thailand in 1963 with Prince Bernhard and their daughter, the then Princess Beatrix.

Princess Maxima, the wife of Willem-Alexander, is not accompanying her husband to Thailand and is instead staying in the Netherlands to care for the couple's baby daughter, Princess Amalia. The future Dutch queen was born on 7 December.

Thank you so very much for posting these very interesting and informative articles,. Linda and Patje.

1.Queen Beatrix on the state banket

2.Prince Willem-Alexander

Attachments

• bea1.jpg
    bea1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 873
  • alex1.jpg
    alex1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 882
Last edited by a moderator:
there was once an article in point de vue, reporting about the jewellery-loving maxima that used the pearls from one tiara to be worn on a different base. beatrix has returned to the classical composition.

I like the white atire of the Prince of Orange. And yes, the Queen put the pearls back on the tiara. It looks good on her :)

Polfoto 19-01-2004. BANGKOK: Dutch Queen Beatrix prior to the state banquet in the Royal Palace in Bangkok, Thailand. Dutch Queen Beatrix and her son Prince Willem-Alexander pay a five day visit to Thailand to celebrate the 400 - year relations between the nations.

Attachments

• thailand_1.jpg
    thailand_1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2,292
  • thailand_2.jpg
    thailand_2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 511
  • thailand_3.jpg
    thailand_3.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 429
Beatrix and Willem-Alexander answered some questions from the press:

Beatrix has no problems with satire, "I am having more troubles with you' she joked to the Dutch journalists. The queen was very relaxed in answering all kind of questions.
She was very open about the condition of princess Juliana. The condition of the almost 95 year old princess Juliana 'does not improve', said the queen, 'she is not very aproachable' The family hopes that the princess reaches the age of 95. She's relatively healthy, the queen said.

very healthy is Amalia, according prince Willem-Alexander. He could not name a date for the baptism, but in anyway after the wedding of Friso en Mabel (24th April).

The queen doesn't look forward to her 25-year jubilee next year. She 'fears' however that others will think not the same and find it important. 'I have to live with that', she said.

Originally posted by xxLindaxx@Jan 20th, 2004 - 11:07 am
The queen doesn't look forward to her 25-year jubilee next year. She 'fears' however that others will think not the same and find it important. 'I have to live with that', she said.
Thanks for this summery of Beatrix and Willem's answers. It's such a shame that Queen Beatrix doesn't think others will feel that her jubilee is all that important -- it certainly is, in my opinon. 25 years as a monarch is a very big deal and I hope that she has many festive events to celebrate it.

And so very sad about Princess Juliana -- it must be terribly frustrating to be good in health and body but not in mind. And equally as frustrating and difficult for her loved ones to watch her like this.

1.King Bhumibol waits for the Dutch Royals

2.Crown Prince Willem Alexander

3.Queen Beatrix & Crown Prince Willem Alexander

4.Greeting the Dutch Royals

5.Queen Beatrix & King Bhumibol

6.Queen Beatrix & Crown Prince Willem Alexander

7.Queen Beatrix at the Emerald Temple

8.Queen Beatrix signing the guestbook at the Emerald Temple

9,10.Queen Beatrix

Attachments

• 00050808.jpg
    00050808.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 919
  • 00050811.jpg
    00050811.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 984
  • 00050809.jpg
    00050809.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 978
  • 00050812.jpg
    00050812.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 889
  • 00050807.jpg
    00050807.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • 00050806.jpg
    00050806.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 938
  • 00050805.jpg
    00050805.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 949
  • 00050804.jpg
    00050804.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 954
  • 00050799.jpg
    00050799.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 00050798.jpg
    00050798.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,731
1.Crown Prince Willem Alexander

2.Greetings

3,4.Walking

5.Close view of banner

6-8.IBL

9.Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander visit the Field of Honour of Kanchanaburi.

10.Princess Chulabhorn and Queen Beatrix visited Ayutthaya

Attachments

• 00050797.jpg
    00050797.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 932
  • 00050795.jpg
    00050795.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 894
  • 00050792.jpg
    00050792.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 901
  • 00050791.jpg
    00050791.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 870
  • 00050787.jpg
    00050787.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 880
  • 00051052.jpg
    00051052.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 875
  • 00051051.jpg
    00051051.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 00051050.jpg
    00051050.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 919
  • 00051048.jpg
    00051048.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 916
  • 00050969.jpg
    00050969.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 867
I have a question that hopefully some members can answer and share with me: In some of the pictures there are large pictures of the Queen and Willem that are like billboards/signs/posters. The picture of Willem is a formal one taken before his wedding to Maxima, where he and Maxima posed together and seperately. But where does the one of Beatrix come from? It looks like she is standing in front of a garden of pink flowers? Could someone possibly post a larger version of this picture? It looks like a lovely picture of the Queen.

Thanks in advance.

So after the Thailand visit, are they going back straight or are they still touring others asian countries? And why is Prince Willem in a white uniform instead of the usual black back home? Is it because of the weather?

Beatrix on the third day at the state visit on Thailand

Attachments

• ch101672_1_.jpg
    ch101672_1_.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 439
>>>>Willem Alexander looks bored. Send him back home to his wife and child>>

I am sure they are on his mind..:) Then again I have also noticed King Bhumibol not looking too happy..

Good point. What's wrong with the king? He probably doesn't know Dutch and they probably don't know Thai. O, well. they can speak in a third language like French or German or even English.

Yes, I was really wondering about Bhumibol. Barely a smile at the airport ( Beatrix seemed so much happier) and whenever there was an official picture taken.. maybe he is too reserved..I still thought it was a bit strange..

I remember photos of him a long time ago when he didn't look so grumpy...I am pretty sure they converse in English or even French. Sirikit and Bhumibol used to live in Lausanne and that's where their first child, Ubol Ratana was born..BTW she has inherited the beauty of her mother..Too bad we can't see her..

1.Princess Chulabhorn

2,3.IBL

Attachments

• 00050971.jpg
    00050971.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 333
  • 00050966.jpg
    00050966.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 00050963.jpg
    00050963.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 312
1.Polfoto 21-01-2004 THAILAND - Dutch Queen Beatrix and Crownprince Willem-Alexander pay respect at the Chungkai military cemetary in Thailand. The royals pay a fice day state visit to Thailand to celebrate the 400 year relations between the two countries.

2.Polfoto 21-01-2004 - BANGKOK: Dutch Queen Beatrix poses with King Bhumibol Adulyade prior to the concert in bangkok, Thailand. The Dutch royals pay a fice day state visit to Thailand to celebrate the 400 year relations between the two countries.

Attachments

• saluting.jpg
    saluting.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 324
  • gala.jpg
    gala.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,279
Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 21st, 2004 - 6:36 pm
Princess Chulabhorn and Queen Beatrix visited Ayutthaya
That's actually Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. Princess Chulabhorn is her younger sister (the thin one).

Sean

Thanks. Didn't know. Darn captions. They should be correct.

Back
Top Bottom