Death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej: October 13, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will the CP in that year of mourning act as Regent? When the Queen of Denmark or the King of Norway leave the country the respective CPs act as Regents even if the monarchs are just 1 or 2 days absent, or if they are unable to perform as Regents others will be named to do the job. But it is unthinkable in european monarchies that no one is in charge! Aren´t the Thai people afraid that the country without any "captain on deck" is in danger to become instable or the monarchy will be weakened?

It is my understanding that the President of the Privy Counsel is acting as regent at this time. There's more information and discussion here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f88/succession-to-the-thai-throne-41391.html

List of foreign heads of state and leaders visited the Grand Palace so far :

October 16 : Their Majesties the King and Queen of Bhutan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkSBHCOuWhQ

October 18 : HRH Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa, Prime Minister of Bahrain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6uDa02gqXs

October 21 : Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore and Madam Ho Ching

http://morning-news.bectero.com/uploads/pic_tiny/images/14713685_10154020336682934_9060579954323130425_n.jpg
http://morning-news.bectero.com/uploads/pic_tiny/images/14642488_10154020336592934_3879215912552819986_n.jpg

Foreign heads of state and leaders to visit the Grand Palace in the coming week announced by Ministry of Foreign Affairs

October 22 :
Najib Razak, Prime Minister of Malaysia
Hun Sen, Prime Minister of Cambodia

October 24 :
Thongloun Sisoulith, Prime Minister of Laos

October 28 :
Their Majesties King Abdul Halim and Queen Sultanah Haminah Hamidun of Malaysia
Their Majesties Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah and Queen Saleha of Brunei
Joko Widodo, President of Indonesia

Source : Post Today

Reactions: eya
Thank you for those galleries of pictures. I find it so touching that even the news feeds and websites honor his late Majesty by presenting whatever they have to present in black and white as a sign of mourning.

What's really interesting to see is that all the local magazines are dropping their title mastheads on covers to below images of the King -- the highest possible form of respect (as can be seen in this example):

ImageUploadedByThe Royals Community1477092803.197751.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

That really is amazing. I think it would be wonderful if the rest of the world looking on, especially in the West, could learn from these examples of showing deep respect, admiration and even love for their people.

I totally agree, Osipi. But this kind of respect must be earned, and not prescribed.

Today is a very important day here. With it being a long weekend, hundreds of thousands of mourners are expected at Sanam Luang, the public grounds at the Grand Palace. There will be a mass singing of the King's Anthem this afternoon, with a documentary being made of it by a famous Thai director/producer, who himself is from a Royal blood line (Prince Chatrichalerm Yukol). It should be spectacular and very moving. Fortunately I understand/speak Thai, so I look forward to following the proceedings on television.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
Any news on a funeral yet?

Will there not be a rainy season in 2017?

Probably a good, wet season. It has been announced though that the cremation ceremony will not take place until after a year of mourning. There are also other ceremonies and rituals that will be held before the actual cremation ceremony.

This may actually put off a coronation ceremony for Rama X until 2019 depending on when in 2018 the cremation ceremony is held. Its my understanding that the coronation ceremony always takes place for three days starting on May 3rd with the actual coronation on May 5th. Each year Coronation Day is celebrated as a holiday in Thailand.

Last edited:
Probably a good, wet season. It has been announced though that the cremation ceremony will not take place until after a year of mourning. There are also other ceremonies and rituals that will be held before the actual cremation ceremony.

This may actually put off a coronation ceremony for Rama X until 2019 depending on when in 2018 the cremation ceremony is held. Its my understanding that the coronation ceremony always takes place for three days starting on May 3rd with the actual coronation on May 5th. Each year Coronation Day is celebrated as a holiday in Thailand.

That is coronation of King Bhumibol; it can be any day, we just celebrate coronation day on 5th of May because that's when King Bhumibol was coronated.

Thanks for the correction on that. From the source I read, it sounded like all kings were crowned at a specific date. :D

And the reason why it's on May also because we perform royal cremation in hot season, King Ananda was cremated on 29th of March, King Bhumibol then married and coronated during one month afterward.

So it would be very possible then that that cremation ceremony for King Bhumibol and the coronation of Rama X could very well possibly be in 2018 then. It most certainly would be a touching time to say a final farewell to a beloved King and then joyously celebrate the coronation of the new monarch.

And the reason why it's on May also because we perform royal cremation in hot season, King Ananda was cremated on 29th of March, King Bhumibol then married and coronated during one month afterward.

That's interesting -- I didn't know that royal cremations traditionally only take place in the hot season... Thanks for the info! Since the government announced that it will take at least a year to prepare, I just assumed we could expect it to happen around October/November, 2017.

The Thai government announced that the late King, after the cremation ceremonies, will be known as King Bhumibol The Great.

Bangkok Post

I leave Yangon for Bangkok today. Depending on how long the queue is at the Sanam Luang, and how hot it is, I might see if I can pay my respects at the Grand Palace tomorrow.

Last edited:
That's interesting -- I didn't know that royal cremations traditionally only take place in the hot season... Thanks for the info! Since the government announced that it will take at least a year to prepare, I just assumed we could expect it to happen around October/November, 2017.

I also assumed it would be late in 2017. Princess Galyani Vadhana's funeral was 15 November 2008. I was in Bangkok then and I remember people saying it was cold, but I still thought it was pretty warm.

Asawin Keanmuang, Governor of Bangkok, said BMA will barricade the southern side of the Royal Ground (Sanam Luang) on January 10, preparing for the construction of the royal crematorium which has been set to begin on February 1, 2017.

Back
Top Bottom