Death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej: October 13, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victoria's Secret - thanks! i wasn't sure if maybe they'd cremate him now and then do the funeral, but it makes sense to embalm him. is it traditionary to show the body of the defunct in thailand?

The body is not showed, the body will be placed in the Great Golden Urn (Extremely beautiful 208 years old national treasure, built by King Rama I)

Victoria's Secret - thanks! i wasn't sure if maybe they'd cremate him now and then do the funeral, but it makes sense to embalm him. is it traditionary to show the body of the defunct in thailand?

No, that's simply not done, ever -- not for a member of the Royal family anyway. With civilian cremations it can be requested, but it's not very common.

I've established that His Majesty's remains will be moved this afternoon from Sirirat Hospital to the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew complex. Here, at a private annex (one of the throne halls), is where the Royal bathing rites and embalming will take place, and also where His Majesty's body will remain until the eventual funeral and cremation a year (or more) later. This area is strictly prohibited and cannot be visited by members of the public.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
After hearing of the death of HM, The King and searching for and reading about the traditions and the rituals and the meaning behind them that happen when someone dies and watching the cremation ceremony of the King's elder sister, all I can say is that I'm totally humbled and speechless. It was my first foray into the death of a Buddhist royal and their funeral and I just found everything about it touching and beautiful and so very meaningful.

"In the end, these things matter most. How well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?"

such reverence - not only the printed newspapers were printed in black and white, the web newspaper services have also done so: The Nation - Thailand's News in English

i expect the funeral will bring a similar royal crowd to those who attended the 60th anniversary celebrations of King Bhumibol in Bangkok back in 2006. for memory:

12 Monarchs/Heads of State

* His Majesty Preach Bat Samdech Preah Baromneath Norodom Sihamoni of Cambodia
* His Highness Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani of Qatar
* His Highness Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah of Kuwait
* His Majesty King Abdullah II bin Al-Hussein of Jordan
* His Majesty Emperor Akihito of Japan
* His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Muizzaddin Waddaulah of Brunei Darussalam
* His Majesty Tuanku Syed Sirajuddin Ibni Al-Marhum Tuanku Syed Putra Jamalullail, the Yang di-Pertuan Agong XII of Malaysia
* His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco
* His Royal Highness Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg
* His Majesty King Letsie III of Lesotho
* His Majesty King Mswati of Swaziland
* His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden (with Queen Silvia)

13 Representatives

* His Royal Highness Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort of Denmark
* His Royal Highness Crown Prince Tupouto’a of Tonga
* His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway (with Crown Princess Mette-Marit & Prince Sverre Magnus)
* His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander, the Prince of Orange of The Netherlands (with Crown Princess Maxima)
* His Highness Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman al Khalifa of Bahrain
* His Royal Highness Crown Prince Philippe of Belgium (with Crown Princess Mathilde)
* His Royal Highness Crown Prince Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan
* Her Royal Highness Princess Lalla Salma Bennani of Morocco
* Her Majesty Queen Sofia of Spain
* His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al-Nahyan of the United Arab Emirates
* His Royal Highness the Duke of York of the United Kingdom
* His Serene Highness Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein
* His Highness Sayyid Shihab bin Tariq Taimour Al Said of Oman

from: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...adejs-diamond-jubilee-june-2006-a-8814-2.html

that was a true royal gathering and brought royals from all over the world.

How things have changed; now Philippe, Willem-Alexander, and Jigme are kings.

My condolences to the people of Thailand at the passing of their beloved king. Thank you to our Royal Forums posters who have taken the time to share information regarding Thai/Buddhist funeral and mourning customs.

I would expect HRH the Prince of Wales to represent HMQ at the late Kings Funeral.

Coverage of the royal procession by Television Pool of Thailand :

[youtube]Jw5hQfdJhCc[/youtube]

Today I joined the crowds around Grand Palace and Royal Ground to see HM the King's procession as well :

All photographs were taken by me

14656372_10210631063401907_1394446970171729611_n.jpg

14731205_10210631063521910_963204460797209523_n.jpg

14713564_10210631064641938_6031221337437575648_n.jpg

14650652_10210631064921945_5676869574284649333_n.jpg

14691089_10210631066521985_5083006458358566190_n.jpg

14642315_10210631068122025_7459682144523716184_n.jpg

14718623_10210631068882044_5729549633852455884_n.jpg

14666173_10210631069642063_2700519877839505046_n.jpg

14681800_10210631069882069_1836993826983298805_n.jpg

14731284_10210631071082099_2962838589620948100_n.jpg

Last edited:
Very touching to see Queen Sirikit take part in the procession.

The letter of condolences from Queen Margrethe: Dronning Margrethe sender kondolence til thailandsk dronning | BILLED-BLADET

Your Majesty, your royal highness.

I was deeply saddened to learn about the demise of your (informal you) beloved king, His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

The bonds between our families have always been close and Prince Henrik is united with me in expressing to you (informal), the Thai royal family our deepest condolences.

Margrethe R.

Last edited:
Oh, this is sad news. May he RIP. It seems like he was widely well-respected in Thailand.

Appleich, thank you so much for sharing your personal photographs with us as you went among the thousands of mourners.

To me, watching the videos and seeing the personal photographs, it almost makes me feel as if I am a part of a global remembrance of a special human being.

^^ You're welcome Osipi.

Coverage of yesterday's royal buddhist ritual ceremony for His Majesty the late King Bhumibol at the Grand Palace :

Part 1
[youtube]iGC5qtUN1TU[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]h6tKGiHNIHI[/youtube]

From second part video around 38:33, the narrator informed that the government and National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) order government officials to prepare for the arrival of His Majesty King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan. His Majesty the King of Bhutan will arrive in Thailand at 19.00 hr. (GMT+7) on 15 October.

Last edited:
It's been a busy week of Medical Appts for me, & the place I stayed at, the WiFi was down. I've been catching up since getting home Thursday & only learned of His Majesty's passing a few hours ago.

My deepest condolences to the Thai Royal Family, the People of Thailand, but especially our Thai Members here at TRF, as you are our direct link to all things Royal in Thai Society & keep us so well informed about the Thai Royals. We will all be deeply indebted to you over the coming weeks, as you explain the various Ceremonies & Buddhist Rites that will be taking place, & I think I'm safe in speaking for all of us in thanking you in advance for all you are and will be sharing w/us.

May His Majesty Rest in Peace.

May the Transition be a smooth and peaceful one.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

^^ Thank you and you're welcome, Tiggersk8.

Their Majesties the King and Queen of Bhutan with His Royal Highness Prince Jigme Namgyel Wangchuck have arrived in Thailand to join the royal merit ritual ceremony at the Grand Palace :

[youtube]-Bb3NMz_eIY[/youtube]

Today huge crowds lined up at the Grand Palace to sign a condolence book and pay respect to His Majesty the late King Bhumibol (in front of a portrait) :

[youtube]u9Kqm0qAzDQ[/youtube]

Bangkok Metropolitan Authority (BMA) allows mourners to stay overnight at the Royal Ground. BMA will provides tents (in case of raining) for the mourners and installs more street lamps around the venue :

[youtube]h14o-DdZyIQ[/youtube]

The Palace also says that they would allow the public to pay respect in front of His Majesty's urn once the 15-day royal merit ritual is completed (From 13.00 hr. on 28 October henceforth).

Interestingly, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam told the reporters in this video that the goverment will carries on the royal merit ritual ceremony and mourns with to people for at least a year, hinting that it's the Crown Prince's wish. Then the government will carries out the royal cremation ceremony and follows by the coronation of King Rama X. He pointed out that traditionally there was no strict timeframe for the royal funeral and cremation ceremony. It differs over time and over each royals ranging from 5 months to 1 year.

:thaiflag2:
Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn wishes to mourn for one year and be Crowned after that period as was announced today.

Will the CP in that year of mourning act as Regent? When the Queen of Denmark or the King of Norway leave the country the respective CPs act as Regents even if the monarchs are just 1 or 2 days absent, or if they are unable to perform as Regents others will be named to do the job. But it is unthinkable in european monarchies that no one is in charge! Aren´t the Thai people afraid that the country without any "captain on deck" is in danger to become instable or the monarchy will be weakened?

Back
Top Bottom